TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

Part about TEXAS QBs...

DOMINO EFFECT DOWN IN AUSTIN

10590414.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

(Hudson Card; Photo: © Wesley Hitt, Getty)

Texas quarterback Hudson Card began the year as the starter but lost his job after a road blowout to Arkansas. Casey Thompson has been great since replacing Card and will have to decide after this season if he wants to test the NFL Draft waters or return to school as a preseason Heisman Trophy favorite. 

Card — a local prospect who ranked as a top-100 recruit in 2020 — might be exploring his options as well. If Thompson returns to school, Card will want to go somewhere he can start in his third year of college football. If Thompson goes pro, that would obviously increase Card's chances to stick around, but there'd be some mending to do between him and the coaching staff after losing his job so early in his career. That's a sensitive situation. Don't count out head coach Steve Sarkisian checking out the portal himself, either, to make sure Texas capitalizes on a roster in 2022 that should be pretty dang good. 

So I know it's a theoretical possibility that Casey can forgo his last year at Texas and enter the NFL draft.  And I know he's played great for us and his numbers are among the top QBs in the nation. 

BUT, right now I just don't see a QB who's going to get drafted high enough where it makes sense to strike while the iron is hot, and I think there's a ton of room to improve to a early round draft level with another year in Sark's offense.  That's not a dig on Casey, as I've been a huge fan of him, and he might just prove me wrong.  Or he may think that making some NFL team, even as a clipboard holder for a couple years, is better for him financially and developmentally. 

In any event, I think the more likely scenario is Casey coming back and forcing Card to decide whether to play backup another year or transfer to a starter opportunity. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 9:26 AM, LTtxfan said:

Give me more completions, more sustained drives, and more first downs...

That would be nice, but our OL makes that extremely difficult unless we’re running for 6 yards a clip like Bijan did against TCU. Way too many blown assignments and holds by the OL for us to reliably drive it down the field on 10-12 play drives. 

28 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So I know it's a theoretical possibility that Casey can forgo his last year at Texas and enter the NFL draft.  And I know he's played great for us and his numbers are among the top QBs in the nation. 

BUT, right now I just don't see a QB who's going to get drafted high enough where it makes sense to strike while the iron is hot, and I think there's a ton of room to improve to a early round draft level with another year in Sark's offense.  That's not a dig on Casey, as I've been a huge fan of him, and he might just prove me wrong.  Or he may think that making some NFL team, even as a clipboard holder for a couple years, is better for him financially and developmentally. 

In any event, I think the more likely scenario is Casey coming back and forcing Card to decide whether to play backup another year or transfer to a starter opportunity. 

Casey has two years after this season. I agree it’s very unlikely he leaves for the draft this year, especially with NIL now being a factor. He can make a lot more at Texas than he will on a practice squad or late round salary. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/15/2021 at 10:00 AM, South Austin said:

There is no way any NFL team would want Casey next year and probably not the year after.  He can't throw the deep ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/15/2021 at 10:30 AM, Burt Macklin said:

That would be nice, but our OL makes that extremely difficult unless we’re running for 6 yards a clip like Bijan did against TCU. Way too many blown assignments and holds by the OL for us to reliably drive it down the field on 10-12 play drives. 

Casey has two years after this season. I agree it’s very unlikely he leaves for the draft this year, especially with NIL now being a factor. He can make a lot more at Texas than he will on a practice squad or late round salary. 

Hmmm..... Casey is ranked 63rd in the country with a QBR of 61.1  .... not exacly NFL material.

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Inside Texas pushing this QB narrative to help their NIL with Card ??

Sarkisian's Presser:   What’s Happening at QB for Texas 

Or maybe they have a point?  Card was benched for 2.5 quarters of bad play in his second career game after winning a 8 month QB battle. Nobody else in the media seems to call out the below average to bad play in 9-10 of the last 12 quarters of play for Thompson. 

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Or maybe they have a point?  Card was benched for 2.5 quarters of bad play in his second career game after winning a 8 month QB battle. Nobody else in the media seems to call out the below average to bad play in 9-10 of the last 12 quarters of play for Thompson. 

Thompson's stats look good if you include the two patsies (Rice, TTech).  Not so good for the other games.  He's a solid QB but will never lead the horns to a Big 12 championship.  He's similar to Case McCoy, he cannot throw long.

38 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

I think they'll give Casey a chance in these next two games to get right because it would be very hard for Card to have his first game back be against Baylor or ISU on the road.

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

What have you seen from card that makes you think he can analyze the situation and make the correct throw in less than 1 second? If you want Gilbert 2.0 play Card

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

What have you seen from card that makes you think he can analyze the situation and make the correct throw in less than 1 second? If you want Gilbert 2.0 play Card

The worst part about Card is his indecisive nature. That running along the LOS toward the sideline was maddening. Just take off and get 3-4 yards man.

43 minutes ago, Jiminez said:

Thompson's stats look good if you include the two patsies (Rice, TTech).  Not so good for the other games.  He's a solid QB but will never lead the horns to a Big 12 championship.  He's similar to Case McCoy, he cannot throw long.

I’m worried Casey injured his UCL (google gamekeepers thumb). He just doesn’t grip the ball since that injury. 

57 minutes ago, Jiminez said:

I'd love it if he could even have Case's midrange accuracy

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

He played better than expected game one and awful game two. Why not let the guy who won the competition and has a longer shelf life get those Rice and Tech reps? There's a reason his ceiling is higher than Thompsons and he won't get there by riding the pine. 

30 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

He played better than expected game one and awful game two. Why not let the guy who won the competition and has a longer shelf life get those Rice and Tech reps? There's a reason his ceiling is higher than Thompsons and he won't get there by riding the pine. 

Because he had his chance and shit the bed against Arkansas? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Because he had his chance and shit the bed against Arkansas? 

But he would have had just as good if results in the Tech and Rice game. Casey's TCU and OSU game were low bars to clear so why not pulled Thompson since he's put up 9 bad quarters since the Tech game. 

Thompson is the football equivalent of a three true outcome baseball player.

Connects on the bomb, gets sacked, throws an incompletion/int.

If he could see the field, it's likely the offense wouldn't bog down for stretches. It was the same thing with Ehlinger, too. Sam never really learned how to see the field.

33 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

But he would have had just as good if results in the Tech and Rice game. Casey's TCU and OSU game were low bars to clear so why not pulled Thompson since he's put up 9 bad quarters since the Tech game. 

There's no guarantee Card looks as good in those games. Card's body language doesn't inspire confidence either.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Thompson is the football equivalent of a three true outcome baseball player.

Connects on the bomb, gets sacked, throws an incompletion/int.

If he could see the field, it's likely the offense wouldn't bog down for stretches. It was the same thing with Ehlinger, too. Sam never really learned how to see the field.

That's the weird part though, Casey was a chain mover at his best. Now it seems like he's trying to swing for the fences too often. Get the ball to the TE and RB, move the chains, and pick your spots better.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

I’m worried Casey injured his UCL (google gamekeepers thumb). He just doesn’t grip the ball since that injury. 

Is that an injury that can be seen on an MRI? Because if you can confirm that he has such an injury, he needs to sit and heal. If his hand is in fact injured and it’s affecting his ability to throw, he’s not helping himself or the team by trying to play through it, as admirable as that intention might be. 

13 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

We've seen nothing since he has only thrown 39 passes and he is a freshman.  That's the point.  We don't know. 

But his stats are OK for that limited time and he threw no interceptions.  

We've seen nothing since he has only thrown 39 passes and he is a freshman.  That's the point.  We don't know. 

It’s a tough situation, but there’s justification for giving Card a series or two if the offense struggles. Not only does he only have 39 throws, they were with a little extra pressure of Thompson on his heels.

We’re not completely out of the Big 12 race but it’d all have to fall right. And I’m on board with us winning out. With that said, you might as well see what he has cause what do we have to lose.

My personal opinion is that we’ve taken a bit of the natural instincts from both guys due to the QB run being a last resort. And I mean that on passing plays too. That might be fine if everything else was consistently squared away.

10 minutes ago, Jiminez said:

Just rewatched both QBs through the Tech game (minus Arkansas cause I value mental health) and if the WR doesn't have 5 yards of space around him then Thompson isn't your guy. Against Louisiana Card saved multiple 3rd down conversions because he threw accurate balls into tight windows. This would have been nice the last two games when the defense keyed in on the pass on obvious passing downs. Card is not a perfect QB but I'd feel confident in him being able to find a way to win at least one of the last two games. 

3 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Just rewatched both QBs through the Tech game (minus Arkansas cause I value mental health) and if the WR doesn't have 5 yards of space around him then Thompson isn't your guy. Against Louisiana Card saved multiple 3rd down conversions because he threw accurate balls into tight windows. This would have been nice the last two games when the defense keyed in on the pass on obvious passing downs. Card is not a perfect QB but I'd feel confident in him being able to find a way to win at least one of the last two games. 

Woof. Card didn't look like a world-beater against ULL, but they may have been better than we gave them credit for. It was also his first start. 

The team needs a leader in the worst way, Casey isn't amazing there, but Card looks too timid out there. 

If Casey just gets back to moving the chains, he'll be fine. That quick game stuff with the sneaks was great before, but we've gone away from that too.

Edited by Atticus

14 hours ago, Atticus said:

That's the weird part though, Casey was a chain mover at his best. Now it seems like he's trying to swing for the fences too often. Get the ball to the TE and RB, move the chains, and pick your spots better.

This. We have an OL that can't block, and a QB that holds the ball staring downfield waiting for a WR to break wide open. That's a disastrous combination. CT just needs to take the easy plays that are there to be made, and the downfield passing game will open up.

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

Woof. Card didn't look like a world-beater against ULL, but they may have been better than we gave them credit for. It was also his first start. 

The team needs a leader in the worst way, Casey isn't amazing there, but Card looks too timid out there. 

If Casey just gets back to moving the chains, he'll be fine. That quick game stuff with the sneaks was great before, but we've gone away from that too.

If you go by Total QBR by starting QBs for Texas. Card had a 90.9 vs ULL and Casey peaked at a 97.1 vs Tech. I will say one difference between those games is Card was the catalyst in the first half for Texas during the ULL game. Bijan didnt get going until the second half. That said I have no idea who is the right call at QB. Casey looks more poised, but he lacks arm strength and has turnover issues. Card looks awesome in 7 on 7, but Ark was extremely ugly. I am not sure if that was a deer in headlights moment as he stepped into his first big test with literally no help or if that is something that will haunt him forever. I know it is not allowed on the internet, but I can see arguments for either QB. I will say the ceiling on the offense is higher with CArd, but so is the floor. 

16 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

If you go by Total QBR by starting QBs for Texas. Card had a 90.9 vs ULL and Casey peaked at a 97.1 vs Tech. I will say one difference between those games is Card was the catalyst in the first half for Texas during the ULL game. Bijan didnt get going until the second half. That said I have no idea who is the right call at QB. Casey looks more poised, but he lacks arm strength and has turnover issues. Card looks awesome in 7 on 7, but Ark was extremely ugly. I am not sure if that was a deer in headlights moment as he stepped into his first big test with literally no help or if that is something that will haunt him forever. I know it is not allowed on the internet, but I can see arguments for either QB. I will say the ceiling on the offense is higher with CArd, but so is the floor. 

You mean the floor is lower? Bc if both are higher, then you are calling for Card.

Something else I've seen is that Sark's offenses have historically slowed down in the 2nd half. Not like the 3 and out stuff we've seen here, but they aren't as explosive or consistent as they are in the first half.

Maybe that's not unique to him, but I found that interesting.

Edited by Atticus

5 hours ago, Codaxx said:

my bad. I meant the ceiling is higher and the floor is lower with Card. 

In the last two second halfs Thompson has scored a grand total of 17 points on 12 drives with 8 of those being 3 and outs or worse. This is including 5 in a row to end the OSU game. Please tell me how much lower the floor could be than those stinkers? 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

In the last two second halfs Thompson has scored a grand total of 17 points on 12 drives with 8 of those being 3 and outs or worse. This is including 5 in a row to end the OSU game. Please tell me how much lower the floor could be than those stinkers? 

How many points did he score in the first half’s of those games?

Or better yet, how many points did he score against Arkansas on 2 drives versus how many points card scored on 7-8 since were into comparisons. Because the Card floor was pretty damn low in that game. 

23 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

There is literally nothing we’ve seen to support this assertion. If anything, we’ve seen that Card is clearly not ready and way too hesitant to make plays when needed right now. Ignoring the Arkansas game and pretending it never happened doesn’t discount the fact that Card played terribly that game and couldn’t move the offense at all.  

And trying to argue that Thompson has played 9 bad quarters (which is incorrect), while ignoring how well he’s run our offense for the majority of most games is very short sighted. You’re better than this. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

How many points did he score in the first half’s of those games?

Or better yet, how many points did he score against Arkansas on 2 drives versus how many points card scored on 7-8 since were into comparisons. Because the Card floor was pretty damn low in that game. 

The game was over when Casey came in.  Totally different scenario.

And I'm not saying Card played well against AK, but it wasn't as bad as Casey's last six drives against OK St.  NO first downs in six possessions when the game was on the line. It doesn't get any worse than that.

10 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Actually, he got no first downs in the last SIX drives vs OK ST.

And in Q4 vs OUSucks when they should have been able to coast to a win he had three three and outs out of the six drives in Q4.

Not exactly steller performance when the games were very winable.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think his thumb is fucking him up. And a lot, a lot, of the failed drives are for failed execution on the oline. Both poor run blocking putting them into third and long, and then poor pass blocking making 3rd and long very difficult. I can’t blame everything on casey. And if his thumb is indeed fucking him up and the coaches don’t pull him, that’s on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11 hours ago, LoyalHorn said:

There is literally nothing we’ve seen to support this assertion. If anything, we’ve seen that Card is clearly not ready and way too hesitant to make plays when needed right now. Ignoring the Arkansas game and pretending it never happened doesn’t discount the fact that Card played terribly that game and couldn’t move the offense at all.  

And trying to argue that Thompson has played 9 bad quarters (which is incorrect), while ignoring how well he’s run our offense for the majority of most games is very short sighted. You’re better than this. 

Card would have definitely had the same success as Thompson against Rice. Maybe in the Tech game he doesn't have 6 TDs but Tech wasn't slowing anybody down that day. 

Everybody knows Card was bad against Arkansas but that goes for everybody else that played and coached that night. The point is that benching Card for a bad game in his first road start against a team that was much better than anticipated is more short sighted than anything.  

Thompson was bad all day against TCU, the 2nd half against OU, and the last 3 of Ok State.  If the WR is not wide the hell open then Casey is not going to move the ball efficiently. All he had to do was sustain one drive in each of the last two 2nd halves and Texas is sitting at 6-1 right now. This is not a one game over reaction, he has been showing signs for weeks that he is a limited QB that needs everything else to go right to be effective. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jiminez said:

Actually, he got no first downs in the last SIX drives vs OK ST.

And in Q4 vs OUSucks when they should have been able to coast to a win he had three three and outs out of the six drives in Q4.

Not exactly steller performance when the games were very winable.

Exactly and his 3rd down numbers are absolutely terrible as well. 

Casey: 

image.png.fa48668d926cc4c48b614e52dc559673.png

image.png.670ea25297c44d4167eae49e2029065f.png

Hudson: 

image.png.17f7c0499d019134a5f21c822fde4b55.png

image.png.22d4f81e7e6fbd64fc8af23ab4974129.png

Card obviously has a much smaller sample size but he played two of the three toughest defenses we have seen so far. 

On 10/21/2021 at 8:34 AM, Duane Moore said:

Is that an injury that can be seen on an MRI? Because if you can confirm that he has such an injury, he needs to sit and heal. If his hand is in fact injured and it’s affecting his ability to throw, he’s not helping himself or the team by trying to play through it, as admirable as that intention might be. 

Depends. If it’s a partial tear many try to go. Looks like he had it taped but then took the tape off later. Looks like his throws were better with it taped but I think he mishandled a couple of snaps

Edited by Sawbonz
Yes MRI will show it
  • Hook 'Em 1

It's not all that entertaining when the entire thread has become a recitation of why my opinion is better than yours, why your quarterback is worse than my quarterback... maybe he's hurt, maybe he's just incompetent, maybe the coaches are fucking things up...

God dammit, if all you can offer is a bunch of fucking maybes backed up with cherry-picked stats, you need to try harder. Compare our choices against guys that haven't been mentioned yet - maybe Charles Wright can straighten it all out, maybe RoJo can make the move from wildcat triggeration and occasional Bijan-resting to actual quarterbacking - and what about records of one-eyed left-handed quarterbacks with six fingers on his right hand against ranked opponents on non-weekend gamedays playing against higher- (or lower-)ranked teams or military academies.

How about making NIL payment amounts contingent on performance and results?

Imagine how NewGodzillatron would look after a game-opening 75-yard TD? Cash machines ka-ching ka-ching ka-chinging! BMDs charging onto the sidelines, carrying envelopes stuffed with Franklins... it could work.

Assuming Card isn't terrible or regressing for some reason at practice, he needs to start next week. I'm not a 9.95er and I'm not playing favorites. 

Casey is a great guy and great teammate. But he has bad pocket presence, is a slow decision maker, and has a below average arm. Sark's scheme and Xavier Worthy make his stats looks great. But watching his overall play, everything is a half second slow. His feet in the pocket are slow, he's too casual on play action when feeling pressure, he's lackadaisical when trying to execute screen passes. 

Card had a messy couple of games vs. Louisiana and Arkansas, but everything he does is a twitch faster and with more urgency. 

The offensive identity is more fully formed now 8 games into the season. We now know Worthy is THE man at WR, we are still loaded at RB, and know our deficiencies on OL. 

There's a reason Sark awarded Card with the starting position after the offseason. Give him another chance next week. We should be playing for 2022 at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just saw this on IT:

Casey Thompson in conference play ranks 10th in completion % (only in front of Bean from Kansas) and is tied for 1st in interceptions.

He played solid against Oklahoma, but he has struggled against any other team with the pulse. His efficiency against Colorado, Rice and Tech appear to be more about the opponents he was facing. 

Not sure why Card won’t start the next game.  Card lost the Arky game and Casey has lost the Oklahoma, OSU, and Baylor game.  I’ve seen enough of Casey to know that his instincts are terrible.  He always goes for the down field shot even when all need need is 10 yards or the game is over.  I want to see what Card can do.  Done with Casey. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1