Bourbon

Jimbaround

I passed when a friend spotted one in Houston. The rumors (most likely fact) about Fred Noe rejecting the initial batch were concerning. I’m sure they fixed it, but whatever was in the initial batch is still in there. 
A lot of enthusiasts have bitched about the Booker’s price increases, and I think they’re warranted. The only Booker’s batch worth $70 was Kentucky Chew. I liked Shiny Barrel, but it drank like a good $50 bourbon. Very small sample size, but I didn’t like Country Ham. 

Country Ham is my neighbor’s favorite bourbon of all time. What’s the new one called?

I passed when a friend spotted one in Houston. The rumors (most likely fact) about Fred Noe rejecting the initial batch were concerning. I’m sure they fixed it, but whatever was in the initial batch is still in there. 
A lot of enthusiasts have bitched about the Booker’s price increases, and I think they’re warranted. The only Booker’s batch worth $70 was Kentucky Chew. I liked Shiny Barrel, but it drank like a good $50 bourbon. Very small sample size, but I didn’t like Country Ham. 

I really enjoy my bottle of Chew, and I’m going to need a revisit on the pigskin this weekend as a side/side, but my first blush was that the pigskin is superior.

10 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

I really enjoy my bottle of Chew, and I’m going to need a revisit on the pigskin this weekend as a side/side, but my first blush was that the pigskin is superior.

Oh shit.  Picking up a pigskin later today.  Will have to do a side by side.  Chew is incredible.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Anyone try their OFSiBBS? I have a bottle of Spec's and WB and haven't had a chance to crack. 

I did. It’s good. It has the BF profile but lacks depth, balance and the finish of the older OFBB and KOK. But it is a perfectly acceptable high proof BF drinker for the price. 

I may have this wrong, but I was operating under the belief that the barrels intended for batch 3 were ultimately scrapped and/or repurposed into other Beam brands given that they did not pass muster with Fred.

My understanding is that the juice inside of Pigskin is the juice that was originally intended for whatever Batch 4 was going to be named. They did not want to skip a batch number, so they still released it as Batch 3/Pigskin, and there won’t be a 2020 Batch 4 bottling released.

Again, that’s how I understand the sequence of events. I have heard really good things from friends I trust about Pigskin, but have yet to pull the trigger.
  • Like 1

Anyone else have all five keys from Blade and Bow? I see their website instructions require a photograph of all five keys, and a short application. This apparently grants one access to their key club. Is this something to bother with? I mean if they sell me a 22 year old at msrp I would call it a great deal!

10 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

It’s been a great week!
Some great pickups!
0dc6276e00d0c5caad03f151138f5ccb.jpg
3 on the left are local club picks.
The Prideful Goat is a combo pick between the 2 biggest clubs in Houston and DFW and is 15 yr Heaven Hill.
Big shout out to @HerbieHancock for picking up the Wheated Balcones at the distillery in Waco.

Do want that Handy. 

22 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

It’s been a great week!
Some great pickups!
The Prideful Goat is a combo pick between the 2 biggest clubs in Houston and DFW and is 15 yr Heaven Hill.
Big shout out to @HerbieHancock for picking up the Wheated Balcones at the distillery in Waco.

I’ll be driving through Waco this week.  What’s the msrp on that Wheated Balcones?   

22 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

It’s been a great week!
Some great pickups!

I’d like to know how that Prideful Goat is. Checking their Facebook page it looks like it’s only at Spec’s in Dallas and Houston right now.  I’m hoping it makes its way to SA soon. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Are there any big releases on the horizon? It seems like we’re in the slow season. 

Sazerac is taking advantage of the slow month to roll out the Thomas Moore finished Barton series.  Should be pretty ok, but I’m having trouble imagining the Chardonnay one. 

Sazerac is taking advantage of the slow month to roll out the Thomas Moore finished Barton series.  Should be pretty ok, but I’m having trouble imagining the Chardonnay one. 

Right there with you on the Chardonnay. The port and cab I’ll buy in a heartbeat, but the between the tasting notes in the release and past experiences with white wine barrels, I think I’m out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do y'all know about Cotton Hollow bourbon? I'm getting a store pick from them this month that's supposedly their Texas variety. Looking at their website, I see that they're an independent bottler. Does anyone have any idea where they're getting their Texas bourbon? 

Edit: Reddit seems to think it might be Bone Spirits in Smithville. I have no experience with this distillery.

Edited by Eggo

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm interested in the rye. Dan must have forgotten to add a zero when he priced it. 

A 7 year old, 98 proof rye for $100 isn't bad. 

It's a high Rye bourbon, not an out and out rye. It's still 51%+ corn. I thought I read that the Rye content was 37% of the total mashbill somewhere.

I've had it twice so far, and came away liking it both times. I need to go back to it soon for one more critical tasting, as air has more pronounced impact on GB bottles. What I took away from the first two pours was that the "signature GB note" was still there, but not nearly as front and center as their standard expressions. It was more of a background note. There was more spice present, which I assume came from the Rye and is also likely responsible for balancing things out a bit. Additionally, the finish had a mintyness to it that I really enjoyed. The only knock I have against it is that it's not as complex as I was thinking it would be going into it. 

For now, I've give it a solid B/B+. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Buddy gifted me Maker's Private Select (Jack Allen's selection, 108 proof) this weekend. Had a couple sips, but could barely taste bc COVID. Will be trying again soon, or maybe in months if the senses go that long. Excited for it. 

How are you feeling besides taste? Is it getting worse? Do you have a beneficiary picked for your liquor?