Holton Hill

Machinator

21 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The challenge will actually be making the squad. Vikings had three highly drafted CB in or near their prime (Waynes, Alexander, Rhodes) going into the draft, then they drafted another one in the first this year (Mike Hughes from UCF), and re-signed Terence Newman. I guess Marcus Sherels could be on the bubble since Hughes offers return ability, and that was Sherels' primary value (I think).

Newman got another year?   that’s awesome.

Newman is 39 and retiring at the end of this season. They just picked up the 5th year option on Trae Waynes but with the money they're already paying Rhodes I think it's more likely they let Waynes walk next year than sign him to a big extension. That makes 2 likely openings.

Zimmer likes to develop his DBs slowly. I like Hill's chances.

9 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

That makes 2 likely openings.

Zimmer likes to develop his DBs slowly. I like Hill's chances.

Well if there’s anything you can say about Hill, it’s that he is patient and willing to be coached up and be a team-first player and respectfully wait his turn!! So no problem!!

• Like 1

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2773921-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-how-the-draft-really-went-down-what-it-means

The NFL Scouting Combine is every year in late February and yet each season we have players fail the mandatory drug test in Indianapolis. NFL sources told me Holton Hill (Texas), Desmond Harrison (West Georgia) and Antonio Callaway (Florida) all failed the test. Each dropped in the draft because of it.

fucking desmond too.  and calloway still went 5th didn’t he?

also, if you fail at the combine that means you’re in the program right?  and he’ll be tested a lot.  goddamn that dude is fucked. 

Edited by futureman

Sydney Carton bet me last fall that Holton Hill would be a first round draft pick. I’m not sure who’s a bigger idiot - Holton Hill or Sydney Carton. 

I know this - Hill’s been given every chance in life to do big things and he’s selfishly pissed all of that away up to this point. There’s no way this piece of shit wakes up now and fixes his selfish bullshit. 

• Haha 1

Chips-a-hoy brings some cover for Holton Hill

Spoiler
What happened to Holton Hill on draft day?
Lot of folks wondering how Texas’ 6-foot-2-plus cornerback Holton Hill, who had three non-offensive touchdowns and was the team’s fifth-leading tackler despite playing in only nine games, fell through the NFL Draft without being selected.
Two sources close to the situation, including an NFL source, told Horns247 Hill had a “diluted” drug test at the NFL combine. One NFL source said Hill showed up “sick as a dog” to the combine and doctors gave him meds and told him to drink as much Gatorade as possible. And while a diluted test is not considered a positive test, it raised enough of a red flag with teams, some of whom had as high as a second-round grade on Hill, after they dug into Hill’s background and learned Hill had previous suspensions at UT for failed drug tests.
Hill would’ve missed the first two games of next season under his last (six-game) suspension that cost him the final four games of 2017. The diluted test at the combine cost Hill dearly, because he now enters the NFL in its random drug-testing program. Other NFL players only land in the NFL’s drug program if they test positive during the league’s only test for street drugs - during training camp - when all players are aware it’s coming.

As I reported in the Mailbag, if there was a place for Hill to land as an undrafted free agent and give his career a chance to get off the ground, it’s Minnesota with coach Mike Zimmer, who was handed one red-flag player after another as defensive coordinator of the Bengals (Vontez Burfect, Carlos Dunlap, Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson, etc.) and turned that defense into the No. 1-ranked unit in the league. I covered Zimmer when he was the defensive coordinator of the Cowboys and have remained in contact with him since. His daughter, Corri, was an intern of mine when she was going to school in Austin. Zimmer is as tough as they come. But once you prove yourself to the guy, he’d go through a wall for you. Ask 40-year-old Vikings’ cornerback Terence Newman, who has played for Zimmer since their days together in Dallas beginning in 2003. Newman, by the way, is a guy Hill could ultimately replace.
There is obviously a movement being made by the NFL Players Association to take marijuana off the list of drugs players are tested for since it’s legal in some states. But until that happens (and some in the NFL think that will never happen), if Hill wants to be an NFL football player and is willing to change to have an NFL career, he’s with the right coach. If he can’t get right with Zimmer, and the NFLPA hasn’t changed the league’s drug policy, Hill might not get another chance. Hoping Hill gets the wake-up call, because Hill was popular among his teammates at Texas and was respected for his play on the field. (CHIP BROWN)

You have your whole life to smoke weed. By the time these guys are done with the NFL, weed will be legal in many places around the country. The inability to delay gratification and focus on long-term goals is staggering when the stakes are this clear and this high (no pun intended...okay, somewhat intended).

You can smoke and still pass the test.  I would bet you well over half of NFL players do it successfully.  You have to be a huge dumbfuck to fail as many tests as Holton Hill has.  With his talent, he should have been a 1st or 2nd round pick.  He's mostly likely going to be out of the NFL in a year or two instead.

22 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Lol on that excuse.  So he landed himself in the NFL drug testing program for drinking too much Gatorade.

People like HH think that teams will buy excuses, but no one in the NFL wants to hear excuses. About anything. Just strap on the pads and produce.

A diluted test might not technically be a positive test, but everybody with half a brain knows what it means. There's only one reason you are trying to pound fluids and get shit out of your system before a drug test, and it ain't cause you're sick.

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

why?

Because in this case you know you're going to be tested and (likely) had plenty of time to do something about it. In 2018 you basically have to be willing to fail to do so. There are too many products out there and ways to test yourself first. Holton just isn't even trying.

2 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Because in this case you know you're going to be tested and (likely) had plenty of time to do something about it. In 2018 you basically have to be willing to fail to do so. There are too many products out there and ways to test yourself first. Holton just isn't even trying.

I get it I just don’t know what 2018 has to do with it.  guys were passing drug tests 20 years ago too. 

1 minute ago, futureman said:

I get it I just don’t know what 2018 has to do with it.  guys were passing drug tests 20 years ago too. 

Yeah and it was dumb then too. Just saying it's a different world (even from 20 years ago) and access to the things you need is not difficult. You pretty much have to say fuck it to fail.

So does this mean Chip Brown is the one that needs to get off the dope?

Former Texas cornerback Holton Hill used a player availability with local media following the first day of Minnesota Vikings rookie minicamp on Friday to shoot down a report that he failed a drug test at the 2018 NFL Scouting Combine.

Hill, who wasn’t selected in the 2018 NFL Draft, signed with the Vikings as an undrafted free agent. While Hill denied the report from Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller about the failed drug test (Horns247’s Chip Brown reported this week that sources told him Hill produced a diluted sample as a result of drinking too much Gatorade to combat being under the weather), Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported that Hill didn’t defense eny having committed transgressions during his time on the Forty Acres that forced both Charlie Strong and Tom Herman to discipline him.

“You make mistakes in the past, but you’ve got to just move on in life, build and just grow from there,” Hill said, according to Tomasson.

Hill was having a season for the Longhorns worthy of Big 12 and potentially national honors when he was suspended for the final four games of 2017 (including the Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl) for a violation of team rules. Multiple sources told Horns247 that Hill would have had to serve a two-game suspension to begin the 2018 season had he returned to school.

Even though the red flags in Hill’s background caused him to slide all the way out of the draft, the Houston Lamar product told Tomasson and other reporters that the Vikings were one of five or six teams to show interest in him following the draft. Hill ultimately settled on the Vikings, a team coached by a former defensive backs coach in Mike Zimmer and whose defensive backs coach is Longhorn legend and College Football Hall of Fame member Jerry Gray.

Zimmer told Tomasson and other reporters that Hill can make the team if he does what’s asked of him by the coaches. As far as Hill’s character is concerned, Zimmer felt the Vikings didn’t add a bad egg to their offseason roster by agreeing on a contract with Hill based on the legwork they did prior to signing Hill.

“We’ve talked with every one of his coaches he has ever had in his entire life, I think,” Zimmer said. “We’ve talked to a lot of people at the University of Texas, and we feel comfortable with the situation. But it’s about the opportunity and what he does with that opportunity is up to him.”

Hill played in 26 games over three seasons with the Longhorns, earning starts in 20 contests. The 6-foot-2, 196-pound long press corner finished his Texas career with 121 tackles, three interceptions (all returned for touchdowns) and 11 pass breakups.