Holton Hill

Machinator

19 hours ago, rickyspub said:

I hope the help he got was based on his own understanding that he needs to get clean rather than our program not having the best tools to get him that help. 

Cannabis and sport: NFL's Mike James asks for permission to use cannabis

By Louise Gwilliam

BBC Sport

_101195389_james_getty.jpg

Mike James was a sixth-round pick by the Tampa Bay Bucaneers in 2013 and has played a career total of 23 games

Take cannabis or retire? That's the dilemma for the NFL running back who says he needs the drug to continue playing American football.

Mike James, a 27-year-old free agent, believes he has become the first player to ask the league for permission to use cannabis, submitting a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for the drug.

It was rejected in May because he could not indisputably prove he suffered chronic pain, but conversations with the National Football League remain ongoing and James remains hopeful of a long-term solution.

"Submitting the TUE was a huge risk. I may have sacrificed my career to do it," the running back tells BBC Sport.

"But for me there was no running from it any more. I'm in a position to be able to do something myself, to give me back my life, and help the players in the league."

Former NBA champion Matt Barnes told BBC Sport on Thursday that cannabis use is "widespread" in the NBA...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/american-football/44021469

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Napoleon said:

It was rejected in May because he could not indisputably prove he suffered chronic pain,

this makes good sense as playing in the NFL has never showed a correlation with chronic pain.  

god bless this man for submitting the request.  how great would it be if it triggered a flood of requests from 20, 50, 100 players?

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Minnesota-Vikings-believe-rookie-Holton-Hill-has-ability-to-start-118658345

Holton Hill was considered one of the top defensive back talents in the 2018 NFL Draft class, but character concerns and maturity red flags dropped him out of the event entirely. The Minnesota Vikings wound up taking the former University of Texas defensive back on as an undrafted free agent and it appears that he is turning heads in the organization since he joined the team.

The Vikings addressed their defensive back position early in the draft by taking Mike Hughes with the No. 30 overall pick in the first round, but NFL insider Tom Pelissero says that Hill is a name to watch after undergoing treatment for his marijuana problem and re-focusing on football.

"The rookie cornerback working opposite of (Hughes) is another name to remember: Holton Hill, an undrafted free agent out of Texas," Pelissero said during a TV segment. "The Vikings really wanted to sign him, so much so that they gave him $75,000 in guaranteed money on his contract, which is one of the biggest guarantees you're going to find for an undrafted rookie around the league.

"They think that Hill has starter ability, and is maybe the most physical corner who came out in this draft class. He's 6-foot-2, and runs a 4.4 range 40 (yard dash). Ability was never the question, it was off the field issues for (him), and specifically marijuana. I spoke with Holton about this (on Wednesday). He acknowledged he sought treatment for that last fall, got help with it and just identified what he wanted his place in life to be and how he was going to get there and make better decisions. He said that he has not smoked since before he went and got that treatment. I asked him, 'How do you feel without it?' He said, 'Better.' He's hanging around the veterans, soaking up as much as he can and making sure he has positive influences around him."

The concerns were well-documented and dropped Hill out of being drafted, but the Vikings' interest in Hill was reported before the draft even took place. One had even suggested they were willing to use a mid-round pick on him. Despite how it all shook out, head coach Mike Zimmer and the the front office vetted the young defender and feel comfortable with the talent they brought in.

"We've spent a lot of time with him," Zimmer said during Vikings rookie camp a week after the 2018 NFL Draft. "He was here on a Top 30 (visit), we met him in Indianapolis. He's a good football player, big, fast, tough, good tackler. We've had a lot of conversations with him. We're excited, he's got a chance. If he comes in here and do what we ask him to do, he's got a chance.

He also added that the organization is not concerned about Hill after all of the reports and news about his failed drug test at the NFL Combine.

"We've done our due diligence," he said. "We've talked with every one of his coaches he has ever had in his entire life, I think. We've talked to a lot of people at the University of Texas and we feel comfortable with the situation. But, it's about the opportunity and what he does with that opportunity is up to him."

Hill played in 25 games in his Texas career and hauled in three career interceptions, all of which were returned for touchdowns. He also racked up 122 total tackles, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery in time wearing a burnt orange uniform.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He acknowledged he sought treatment for that last fall, got help with it and just identified what he wanted his place in life to be and how he was going to get there and make better decisions. He said that he has not smoked since before he went and got that treatment.

Uhhhhh

36 minutes ago, Nope said:

Uhhhhh

For real. Not only did he reportedly fail a test after that time period, but if he could have just stopped smoking that easily he would have already done so while he was still in college with potentially millions of dollars still right in front of him.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Was Holton in the other room getting high during the vertical jumps at the combine?

If a person likes to drink sometimes do you assume they were in the other room getting drunk at the combine because they have a drinking problem???

Do you like to drink sometimes? Does that mean at all times you are fucking off getting drunk???

If anything smoking pot is beneficial to an athlete while drinking is harmful. We should hope more athletes smoke instead drink.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:02 AM, Napoleon said:

It was rejected in May because he could not indisputably prove he suffered chronic pain, but conversations with the National Football League remain ongoing and James remains hopeful of a long-term solution.

This is a major bargaining chip for the League to get more games out of the players in the next round of labor negotiations.  No way you give away a chip like that for free.

If a person likes to drink sometimes do you assume they were in the other room getting drunk at the combine because they have a drinking problem???

Do you like to drink sometimes? Does that mean at all times you are fucking off getting drunk???

If anything smoking pot is beneficial to an athlete while drinking is harmful. We should hope more athletes smoke instead drink.

8f7dacc274c5afbfd68d52bd9935dece.jpg
  • Haha 1

How often do you partake of the devils lettuce?
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I see this is another very sensitive subject for you, along with divorce. I’m sorry your wife left you because you’re a pothead.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 11:01 AM, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Jeez, somebody got triggered.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 10:01 AM, KeysPhoneWallet said:

giphy.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

JC Jackson was an UDFA. Christ, the NFL is routinely Belichick's bitch. It's amazing how content NFL teams are to collect money and suck, rather than innovate and try to catch up to New England.

Happy for Holton. He took advantage of his opportunities.

Edited by pacman

24 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

in other news, nfl scouting is not an exact science.

happy for holton.  if i were a college athlete with possible pro chances, i'd leave early.  stay in school working for meager wages or get paid well for doing the same thing?

We should really have this discussion. It's never been had on this board and it always ends up being productive.

JC Jackson and Holton Hill both had off-field issues that tanked their draft stock. Given how valuable draft picks are these days, you can't blame NFL teams for avoiding prospects with those risk profiles.

Chris Harris, Jr. was more of a miss. Apparently, he was a multi-year starter at KU (opposite Aqib Talib, no less), but switched to safety in his senior year for the sake of the team. NFL teams scouted him as a safety, and he predictably fell through the cracks because of his physical profile.

• 2 weeks later...