Big Bend - Alpine - Marfa - Fort Davis

On 12/17/2022 at 1:52 PM, 4th&Five said:

Taking the family out in February. It’ll be their first time and my first time in 15 years. We’re going to do the Star Party at McDonald on Friday and then 3 days in the park.

You'll have so much fun at the star party. Bring a jacket just in case because it's considerably cooler at the observatory than it will be in Fort Davis and Marfa

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Taking the family out in February. It’ll be their first time and my first time in 15 years. We’re going to do the Star Party at McDonald on Friday and then 3 days in the park.

We tried that in February of 2020 and got shut out by humidity. Ours wasn’t the normal star party; it was for one of the bigger scopes.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

That ernst trail is rough. We rented a jeep and sis it for the first time last July. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to go to the end: had to walk the two youngest back to the jeep and fire up the ac. Very cool pics.

I think you should go for the Diego burger.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

anyone been to the chinati hot springs out west of presidio? have always been curious but wasn't sure if it's worth a stay. would like to combine that with pinto canyon road which has also been on my list for a while. 

anyone been to the chinati hot springs out west of presidio? have always been curious but wasn't sure if it's worth a stay. would like to combine that with pinto canyon road which has also been on my list for a while. 

Went there pretty soon after they opened and spent the day. Looks like they have done a lot of improvements. The couple who were running it were from Dallas. Turns out we knew the lady. She was a bartender at Club Dada. Anyway it was a cool place. d4284a6e9fd76720eb5cefa32ed591a4.jpg
Had a blast driving the WRX out there.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Me and a group of friends are heading out.. guys trip in November and we have settled on BB. Any recs on places in Terlingua that can sleep 6 or 7 guys? I would ideally like that stretch of cabins on the main road but can't find them on the internet..

If not, I think we're going to get 2 separate places in Terlingua..

51 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Me and a group of friends are heading out.. guys trip in November and we have settled on BB. Any recs on places in Terlingua that can sleep 6 or 7 guys? I would ideally like that stretch of cabins on the main road but can't find them on the internet..

Terlingua base camp has lots of casitas

11 hours ago, texashorne said:

you talking about these in Study Butte? https://terlinguanights.com/

there's also Terlingua Ranch Lodge, but it's about 16 miles east of 118 and 16 miles north of Study Butte, so a 32 mile drive to town. the lodge has a restaurant (the bad rabbit), pool (don't think it's open in Nov.), and small laundromat. if you have 4WD, take the Christmas Mountain drive from the Lodge.

As soon as they canceled school last week the younger kid and I left our broken tree branches for later and headed to Big Bend. Squeezed in a decent amount in a quick trip. Hiked the Window, good meal in Terlingua, two isolated days and nights out in BBRSP, made it to Ft Davis for a star party at the observatory.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

On 2/3/2023 at 11:03 PM, texashorne said:

these are the ones you seek: https://nuevoterlingua.com/