2021 NCAA Tournament - Meta thread

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Ivey or a candidate with similar credentials should have the self-awareness to know that their staff is especially crucial and that they would do well to have a veteran assistant on the bench. If they don't mention that as part of their vision for the program in an interview, that should lead to disqualifcation from consideration.

Ie Juwan Howard hiring Phil Martelli. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

All of this website and others are under the assumption John wants to coach again.  No one really knows that although Indiana has thrown his name out there as a candidate. 

Also, if you hire Royal you can’t demand that he hire John as an assistant.  You can suggest to Royal that’s he hire assistants that have HC experience, but you can’t demand who he hires. 

Just using John because his name came up earlier. All you can do is ask.

Correct. You just need to make a strong suggestion that an experienced HC is needed. 

Edited by Brothahorn

I’m in basketball love with Alabama. I hadn’t really  watched them before the SEC tournament but a lesser team could have must to Iona who played  ducking great and Alabama beat them by 13 and now they are buttfucking Maryland (thanks for nothing Herman) and looking damn good doing it. Not sad I have them in my final 4. 

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Even though they shoot a shit load number of 3s, Bama makes quick, decisive decisions, and there isn't a lot of fat in their possessions. They probably make less than 10 dribbles total in the half court per possession. 

Yep. High pace. Cut hard. 
people make a big deal about 47% of their shots being 3’s but 50% are at the rim. They just traded all their midrange for 3’s, which is as it should be for most teams and players unless you have just a great midrange game. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. High pace. Cut hard. 
people make a big deal about 47% of their shots being 3’s but 50% are at the rim. They just traded all their midrange for 3’s, which is as it should be for most teams and players unless you have just a great midrange game. 

Yeah that's the way it should be. But to me the most important element to all that is the purposeful and constant movement of the ball and players. Shaka attempts to employ that analytical approach of 3s and shots at the rim, but he either lacks the understanding or at the very least doesn't emphasize ball and player movement which is the essential ingredient to make that philosophy hum, IMO. Often at the beginning of games we'd have guys cutting to the basket, but with absolutely no purposeful intention of threatening to score off that cut. Movement simply makes your team harder to guard. Any run of the mill, weekend warrior or rec league basketball player understands that its more difficult to guard the guy who is constantly moving than the one who stays in place all game. 

• Hook 'Em 1