2021 NCAA Tournament - Meta thread

Machinator

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Dunno if the Big 12 was overrated, but it's safe to say the Pac-12 was well underrated.

It has always been a curse of the conference that there is so much parity.  Same in football.  Really hard to make it through without a lot of dings on your record.

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

And the Big 10 was extremely overrated

Someone better at stats than me could probably confirm or reject this somehow ( @Huckleberry?) but I suspect that the overall ranking/perception of league strength, especially as it relates to the obviously inflated B1G and underappreciated PAC12, is due to a very light nonconference schedule (so less ability to rank/compare across conferences, and a greater reliance on confirmation bias from preseason rankings) and a very heavily weighted conference schedule (resulting in more recursive confirmation-biased data fouling the system) leading to where we are today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Someone better at stats than me could probably confirm or reject this somehow ( @Huckleberry?) but I suspect that the overall ranking/perception of league strength, especially as it relates to the obviously inflated B1G and underappreciated PAC12, is due to a very light nonconference schedule (so less ability to rank/compare across conferences, and a greater reliance on confirmation bias from preseason rankings) and a very heavily weighted conference schedule (resulting in more recursive confirmation-biased data fouling the system) leading to where we are today. 

Also a big reason, to me, that teams like Loyola Chicago got underseeded. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Also a big reason, to me, that teams like Loyola Chicago got underseeded. 

Loyola has been a top 10 KenPom team more or less all season, and finished the season ranked 17th. They have not been under the radar for anyone that was paying attention. But the committee apparently thought that they were a 32nd-36th range team more deserving of an 8 seed, because they have told us year after year that they don't seed for storylines... 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

It has always been a curse of the conference that there is so much parity.  Same in football.  Really hard to make it through without a lot of dings on your record.

Yep. Oregon state beat Oregon 2 out of 3 times this year. Didn't look great 10 days ago. Now seems understandable.

Utah wasn't good. Asu sucked after everyone got hurt,  but after that there were a lot of really good games on any given night. Maybe it will all come crashing down but it looks like they all got each other ready for the tourney. 

• Hook 'Em 1

this post-season performance by the Big Ten is shaping up to be the biggest disaster in NCAA tournament history, and if it's it not already, it will be if LSU beats Michigan

I feel like there was one or maybe there were two other post-seasons where a conference had this kind of flameout (maybe the ACC?), but I can't recall them off the top of my head. 

seems pretty clear that the method(s) for evaluating teams gave us a feedback loop with regard to the Big Ten

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Suggs and Brown were pretty close in rankings. But Suggs is such a fluid basketball player. I am really tired of the athletic prospects. Some work out but most don’t. 

I'm not sure what your point is we had absolutely no shot at Suggs. Not to mention that Suggs plays an entirely different position than Brown. Guards are typically more skilled than big guys. That comes with the territory when recruiting players for specific roles on the team. It would be like lamenting the fact that our offensive tackle recruit can't throw the ball as well as our QB recruit.