2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I’d like for Siri to get some fairly significant ABs these last 19 games to see if he’s the real deal. If so, it could help push Crane to step up the Correa negotiations. They could have a really cheap outfield and  pitching staff locked in for the foreseeable future. You have to spend the money somewhere. Maybe even think about trading Uncle Mike to save $16M, pick up some good prospects  and alleviate next year’s OF roster crunch. 

34 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Siri is probably going to commit an error at some point showboating in the OF and get plunked sooner or later.

He fits in with our Most Hated team perfectly.

Siri gonna Siri!

I was at this game sitting near the guy in the Astros jersey and a dumbass nearby was loudly doing a very unfunny and cringey "hey Siri" schtick as Siri batted with the bases loaded. Siri absolutely heard every word that guy said. Guy says one more lame ass "hey siri" question and as soon as the last syllable fell out of his mouth, Siri cracked the shit out of the ball and flipped that bat. Timing was impeccable and my buddies and I were laughing our asses off.

21 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I’d like for Siri to get some fairly significant ABs these last 19 games to see if he’s the real deal. If so, it could help push Crane to step up the Correa negotiations. They could have a really cheap outfield and  pitching staff locked in for the foreseeable future. You have to spend the money somewhere. Maybe even think about trading Uncle Mike to save $16M, pick up some good prospects  and alleviate next year’s OF roster crunch. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

So, honestly, what is going on with the perception our farm system?  Just in the last few years, we've had guys like Urquidy, Garcia, Chas, Taylor Jones, Meyers, and now Siri (not to mention Straw, Toro, De La Cruz, etc.) emerge as competent to good major leaguers (obvious small sample size for a few of these) and none of them had any sort of fanfare whatsoever outside of the local bubble.  I understand that these guys aren't Tatis Jr., but they almost all have performed better than a good chunk of the top 100 list.  It seems that that prospect nerds across the country have no idea how to properly evaluate the development that goes on in our farm system.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So, honestly, what is going on with the perception our farm system?  Just in the last few years, we've had guys like Urquidy, Garcia, Chas, Taylor Jones, Meyers, and now Siri (not to mention Toro, De La Cruz, etc.) emerge as competent to good major leaguers (obvious small sample size for a few of these) and none of them had any sort of fanfare whatsoever outside of the local bubble.  I understand that these guys aren't Tatis Jr., but they almost all have performed better than a good chunk of the top 100 list.  It seems that that prospect nerds across the country have no idea how to properly evaluate the development that goes on in our farm system.

Correct. 
prospect 100 lists are about tools and ceilings-when you are developing lesser tolled guys into solid major league regulars you are doing a good job with the farm especially if you are already in your contention window. But guys with loud tools and high ceilings are always going to be rated higher- and that is obviously not what the Astros have in high numbers since we’ve been making trades maximizing winning now as opposed to later for 6 years, had crappy draft slots or no draft picks at all for that long as well. 
but yeah- they’ve absolutely maximized their window and opened it up without a doubt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Yeah- if trading uncle Mike brings back Correa I will drive him to the airport myself. I’m glad we have him- he’s like our 9th or 12th most important player. 
power ranking guys from most to least important/best:

Correa, Altuve, Tucker, Yordan, LMJ, Framber, Bregman, Greinke, Presley, Graveman, Garcia, Brantley, Yuli (My God doing this exercise shows how absurdly talented this team is)
If you want to slide him in after Greinke I’m fine with that. 
He doesn’t have enough pop and he’s at a defense isn’t all that important position to justify any higher placement than after Greinke.  Bregman from 2019 would be second on this list. 
Correa at gold glove caliber SS and 850ish OPS is just the most integral part of the team. Mediocre defense aging so you don’t have base path speed 850 OPS slap hitter left fielders just aren’t anywhere near as valuable. It would be an easy decision. 
And I love Uncle Mike. He puts in the highest quality AB on the team day in/day out. It just doesn’t have enough thump to surpass some of those other guys. 

• Hook 'Em 2