2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Maybe a 2022 bullpen arm ?

Ronel Blanco had a good season as the closer for the Skeeters. He picked up 22 saves and struck out 57 in 45 innings while holding opponents to just .178 BAA. 

He has a 95-97 MPH fastball and a high 80s slider #Astros #AstrosFuture

Does he walk a lot of guys?  If not, then he's not going to fit in.

• Haha 3

My educated guesses (So probably all fucking wrong)

Who is playing between the Red Sox/Yankees at this point really shouldn't matter.  

We will get the early game Thursday -  roughly 4pm

We will either get the fucking 1st or 2nd game Friday(along with ATL/Mil either 1pm or 3:30pm) because the Red Sox/Yankees v Rays will be at night(6pm), and  LA/Stl v SF that will be a later game as well(8:30).  

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Bergman’s contract should be the Astro’s boilerplate. 5 years $100 million. Take it or leave it. 

This is what the Astros can afford. If I asked you to run a business that lost money would you do it? Hell no. We shouldn’t ask that of Crane. 

Correa will leave it, so he won’t be an Astro any longer. It sucks, but that’s the way it is. Thank you for being a good citizen and teammate Carlos. Let’s win it all one more time. 

Holy wrong. We got off super cheap on Breg 

Man, it's going to suck to lose Correa.  IMO, he's the guy who got this team over the "cheating" scandal.  He stood up for everyone in the clubhouse and refused to take any shit from anyone.  The team responded. That homer off Joe Kelly earlier this year shows what kind of clutch player Correa is.  We need him if we want to keep the window open.  8yrs for 272M, something like that?  Verlander and Greinke's money gotta go to somebody, right?

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

My educated guesses (So probably all fucking wrong)

Who is playing between the Red Sox/Yankees at this point really shouldn't matter.  

We will get the early game Thursday -  roughly 4pm

We will either get the fucking 1st or 2nd game Friday(along with ATL/Mil either 1pm or 3:30pm) because the Red Sox/Yankees v Rays will be at night(6pm), and  LA/Stl v SF that will be a later game as well(8:30).  

I'd prefer the Red Sox.  The Yankees ceiling is just much higher even if they haven't played up to it this season.  Also, the Rays won a bunch of games this season but I don't see them making it to the World Series.  Their offense, imo, is smoke and mirrors and their pitching staff is limited right now.

1 hour ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Holy wrong. We got off super cheap on Breg 

Kind of…it was a good deal for both sides because the club only bought 1 or 2 extra seasons from Bregman. That’s the kind of deal I’d expect them to try with Alvarez and Tucker.

Anyway, I’ll be surprised if they sign Correa. But who knows what the FA market will be like this off-season, with the CBA negotiations, etc. Maybe it’s bizarro and nobody is getting what they want and he says “fuck it” and signs something like a 2-3 year / $75-100mm to stay for a few more years and try FA again at 29 or 30. 

15 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

I'd prefer the Red Sox.  The Yankees ceiling is just much higher even if they haven't played up to it this season.  Also, the Rays won a bunch of games this season but I don't see them making it to the World Series.  Their offense, imo, is smoke and mirrors and their pitching staff is limited right now.

I disagree with just about everything in this post. The great thing about baseball is that, with so many games, statistics typically are a good indicator on who you are. The Yankees offense sucks. Bottom 1/3 of the league bad. On the other hand, TB’s offense is good. Only the Astros scored more runs. And their pitching staff’s ERA ranked 4th.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I disagree with just about everything in this post. The great thing about baseball is that, with so many games, statistics typically are a good indicator on who you are. The Yankees offense sucks. Bottom 1/3 of the league bad. On the other hand, TB’s offense is good. Only the Astros scored more runs. And their pitching staff’s ERA ranked 4th.  

The Yankees have actually hit the ball quite better than the Rays this season but have had very poor batted ball luck.  

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

That team is going to be hell next season 

that lineup will be, but robbie ray and marcus semien will get big contracts somewhere i would think.  if we let correa walk, we better have a backup plan like semien.

what kind of money do we have coming off the books?  amazing that most will likely come from 2 dudes who won't even be contributing in the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

Yeah, if the Twins even have a 1% chance to sign Carlos it would be a major shock.  Diana does not appear to be one that would enjoy the fine cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul.

I don’t know who Diana is but I do know that Daniella will enjoy $300+ million, no matter where it comes from. 

23 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

There is no universe where the Tigers or Twins should be able to pry a hometown hero away from us for financial reasons.  None.

These two aren't really the same. The Tigers actually have a fair bit of young talent coming up with no real SS prospects and no real money on the books outside of the next two years of the disasterous Cabrera contract. They could use veteran leadership for the long term, and there is the Hinch connection. Given some of the contracts given out by Detroit in the past, I could see them going over the top with an offer ($300M+) that Houston just refuses to match.

Just now, IDIOTsavant said:

These two aren't really the same. The Tigers actually have a fair bit of young talent coming up with no real SS prospects and no real money on the books outside of the next two years of the disasterous Cabrera contract. They could use veteran leadership for the long term, and there is the Hinch connection. Given some of the contracts given out by Detroit in the past, I could see them going over the top with an offer ($300M+) that Houston just refuses to match.

Yeah, i've been thinking for a while that may be where he ends up if the Yankees don't get him.

4 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Man, it's going to suck to lose Correa.  IMO, he's the guy who got this team over the "cheating" scandal.  He stood up for everyone in the clubhouse and refused to take any shit from anyone.  The team responded. That homer off Joe Kelly earlier this year shows what kind of clutch player Correa is.  We need him if we want to keep the window open.  8yrs for 272M, something like that?  Verlander and Greinke's money gotta go to somebody, right?

Why would Carlos Correa accept that when someone else will offer 10 years for $300 million?

5 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

4 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

The Yankees have actually hit the ball quite better than the Rays this season but have had very poor batted ball luck.  

You guys have weird ways of saying "It don't make a shit."

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Why would Carlos Correa accept that when someone else will offer 10 years for $300 million?

Because it's $34M/yr as opposed to $30M.  10/30 is $28M more over the life of the contract, but if he can sign another contract at the end of 8 years, when he's 35, for more than $14M per, then it's the same money over the same period.  I admit I have no idea what a 35 y.o. Correa could hope to sign for; if $14M/yr even in the realm of possibilities.  Also, I think this team is tight.  I think he's got a special relationship with Altuve, and that he might take a little less money to stay.  That's probably very naive on my part.