2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

He's not on the ALCS Roster.

He was on the ALDS roster, that's my point. They had to have known (given the twitter rumors about Lance being out for the season) that he wasn't going to be able to pitch in any subsequent round, so it baffles me that they didn't use that opportunity to replace him with Bielak or Solomon.

Edited by Gourmand

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

Seems stupid that an aggravation/setback of an existing injury that occurred in the final game of a series prevents a team from making a roster move. If they are able to advance to the WS, who gets added to the roster in place of Meyers?

I think you have to add an inning eater like Solomon. 

Just now, Gourmand said:

The rules prevent us from adding a pitcher to replace a position player. That sucks.

NO- you start over with every new series- so it's not replacing one guy with another or a like for like position. It's whatever you want to do.  

IF it's me I go 3rd catcher if Meyers isn't ready to go.  
OF thus is Brantley, Siri, Chaz, Tucker, Yordan (at the NL stadiums- no way you can sit him on the bench in LA or ATL), Diaz in a pinch.  If we are facing a lefty I have Chaz play CF and Tucker in right with Yordan in left at the NL parks.  If we are facing a righty at the NL parks it's Alvarez, Tucker, Brantley for me from left to right.  

Just now, Gourmand said:
2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I got mine as well for the giveaway (and personal use).  $280 for the upper tank, $475 per ticket for the lower bowl down the right field line.  Didn't look at the standing room only. 

Sounds like if I'm lucky enough to get any, I have to limit myself to SRO. 

Interesting quote from Cora during the 2018 ALCS that reads like this series:

“That is part of the game — tipping, stealing signs, relaying pitches and paying attention to details. That is the way I took it. If they feel that way about us, we might as well push the envelope and keep doing a lot of things that are going to make them uncomfortable and you saw it. They kept changing signs and the tempo of the games was awful, but that worked into our advantage, I think."

I have nothing against Alex Cora, he seems like an excellent manager who commands the respect of his players and has their backs always, but it is especially annoying to see these redemption stories told about him in the national media while they blissfully ignore the investigation into the Red Sox that happened after the Astros scandal. The guy had a role in two different cheating investigations and is getting his ass-kissed by Fox Sports and ESPN, meanwhile Carlos Beltran is still unemployed and Jeff Luhnow--who was found to have no knowledge or role in the scheme itself--is basically black-balled from MLB. 

There's a whole lotta wrong in this. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Interesting quote from Cora during the 2018 ALCS that reads like this series:

I have nothing against Alex Cora, he seems like an excellent manager who commands the respect of his players and has their backs always, but it is especially annoying to see these redemption stories told about him in the national media while they blissfully ignore the investigation into the Red Sox that happened after the Astros scandal. The guy had a role in two different cheating investigations and is getting his ass-kissed by Fox Sports and ESPN, meanwhile Carlos Beltran is still unemployed and Jeff Luhnow--who was found to have no knowledge or role in the scheme itself--is basically black-balled from MLB. 

There's a whole lotta wrong in this. 

The Red Sox are baseball royalty. The Astros are provincial. That sets us up to be the villain, especially since we are based in Texas.

• Like 1

gourmand, i like morning cocktails as much as the next guy, but keep your head in the game.

-this was in response to all the roster questions.  we got some bad luck with dusty not knowing the rules on the meyers situation.
Ha, I can't blame it on anything but too much coffee with a bit of nervous anticipation.

1 hour ago, Hornsbay22 said:

Got all my World Series tickets this morning, nothing feels like a bigger jinx then having to buy them before hand. 

Same. I repeat over and over... "My actions have no influence on the outcome of the game." I have subsequently found this phrase is lucky and I repeat it throughout the games. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The Red Sox are baseball royalty. The Astros are provincial. That sets us up to be the villain, especially since we are based in Texas.

Yep, wear the black hat and beat them all.

But that doesn't change the fact that Jeff Luhnow was scapegoated by MLB and Jim Crane while the team he built is in its fifth straight LCS and five wins away from a WS title. That man deserved better than he got.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Anyone going to any upcoming games need to bring their whistles 

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/astros-whistling-red-sox-cheating/585810?amp

Stupid article lol. Whistling at sporting events is so rare.  There are so many annoying sounds out there in a game...It's stupid to think someone could pick out a particular sound, prepare themselves, and then hit a 90mph something pitch...all within a few seconds.

Maybe all these pitchers threw garbage and we cranked it?  Astros aren't that stupid to try anything now with a spotlight on them. 

Wish people would stop reaching with bs, these guys are talented and don't need that shit. 

Nosebleeds for home games 1, 2, and 4 here.

had lower level for game 3 but were in the disability row. 
I’m an ass but not that big of an ass and let them go.

is there a public sale for the WS and anyone have when that starts? I’ve had luck picking up an SRO or two through that process 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1

I bought for Game 6 & 7. Upper upper deck. I may flip them to buy elsewhere. I notice that stubhub has some changes since I last used them for playoff tickets. You can't see what tickets/prices have previously sold. They also don't show you the total # of tickets for sale. At least not on the website.

Warning if you buy upper deck, it's not well known but there are obstructed view seats in minute maid.  It's on some of the sections next to home plate like 424 or 423 in the last rows. Anything like stubhub will have that listed.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Stupid article lol. Whistling at sporting events is so rare.  There are so many annoying sounds out there in a game...It's stupid to think someone could pick out a particular sound, prepare themselves, and then hit a 90mph something pitch...all within a few seconds.

Maybe all these pitchers threw garbage and we cranked it?  Astros aren't that stupid to try anything now with a spotlight on them. 

Wish people would stop reaching with bs, these guys are talented and don't need that shit. 

It was also cute how the author said he would be remiss if he didn’t acknowledge past bad behaviors of Boston, then spent a whopping two sentences on it.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Nosebleeds for home games 1, 2, and 4 here.

had lower level for game 3 but were in the disability row. 
I’m an ass but not that big of an ass and let them go.

is there a public sale for the WS and anyone have when that starts? I’ve had luck picking up an SRO or two through that process 

Pretty sure it's 1 p.m. today after all of the pre-registered link times.

It can be expensive but the best ticket option for WS is to go down the night of the game. Hang out at a nearby bar. Check out stubhub to see if you can find a deal for wherever you want to sit. Be prepared to hang out at the bar the entire game and save yourself a lot of $. You may also find some stubhub deals as the game is starting.

In my experience from '17 and '19, demand is strongly correlated to the Astro performance from the previous game. They have a bad game and the next game may be relatively close to face value.

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It can be expensive but the best ticket option for WS is to go down the night of the game. Hang out at a nearby bar. Check out stubhub to see if you can find a deal for wherever you want to sit. Be prepared to hang out at the bar the entire game and save yourself a lot of $. You may also find some stubhub deals as the game is starting.

In my experience from '17 and '19, demand is strongly correlated to the Astro performance from the previous game. They have a bad game and the next game may be relatively close to face value.

My buddy has mentioned he uses the Game Time app to score tickets hours before a game starts, and that its a lot better.  Never tried it, but glad there is competition for Stub hub.

per the note on last night's stellar effort by Framber, matched only by Bob Gibson; I was trying to tell my (grown) son what a badass Gibson was in the 60's and into the mid 70's.  This note on the  wiki page hits close to home:

Gibson.jpg

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don't get starting Garcia in Game 6. He has a knee injury, this is the most innings he's pitched in his entire life, and oh yeah he's been a tire fire in the postseason. 

I assume he's the opener? 

In Strom We Trust. 

I'm convinced the Red Sox were on our signs (and frankly, don't care that much how) and the Astros figured it out an inning or two too late in those blowout games. If Strom thinks Garcia is ready, who am I to question the pitching coach goat?