2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

The Red Sox were 18th this year in walks. 

Weird how they became the most disciplined team at the plate we've faced all year in gm 3 and 4 at Fenway, with walks leading to bases loaded situations and then three grand slams in two games with huge blowouts early. 21 postseason HRs, a new record. Their hitters laid off breaking pitch after breaking pitch, many of which weren't perfect but quite a few were pitches that often generate swings. They were hitting EVERYTHING hard and super-selective at the plate.  

Then, the Astros miraculously stop giving up grand slams and the Red Sox bats don't do shit. They scored one run in the last 17 innings. 

And then there's a weird ass light in the outfield scoreboard discovered on a day when Framber Valdez absolutely mows down Red Sox hitters and does the one thing no Astros starter has been able to do in this series......go 3+ innings.

Alex Cora and the Red Sox need to get dragged for this because we all know the Astros would.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

Weird how they became the most disciplined team at the plate we've faced all year in gm 3 and 4 at Fenway, with walks leading to bases loaded situations and then three grand slams in two games with huge blowouts early. 21 postseason HRs, a new record. Their hitters laid off breaking pitch after breaking pitch, many of which weren't perfect but quite a few were pitches that often generate swings. They were hitting EVERYTHING hard and super-selective at the plate.  

Then, the Astros miraculously stop giving up grand slams and the Red Sox bats don't do shit. They scored one run in the last 17 innings. 

And then there's a weird ass light in the outfield scoreboard discovered on a day when Framber Valdez absolutely mows down Red Sox hitters and does the one thing no Astros starter has been able to do in this series......go 3+ innings.

Alex Cora and the Red Sox need to get dragged for this because we all know the Astros would.

The light was being used to distract our hitters. Likely it was around Sale's release point, and made it harder to pick up his pitches. He had his best start of the postseason, until the light got shut off and the Astros immediately put 5 up on him and some relievers.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

The Xander home run last night was probably the most obvious pitch tipping incident I’ve ever seen. 

Devers is at first staring at Greinke. He makes no attempt to take a lead, or get in position to get a good jump. Just stares at Greinke. Zach gathers for the pitch, Devers motions towards home with his hands, and Xander hits it out. 

Perfectly legal, but it demonstrates how big a part of their offense it is. 

7 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Cora is already calling it a “fan operated light.” How convenient Alex. 

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I'm leaning more towards pitch tipping or the like, it would take a huge amount of stupidity for the sox to set up a technology based sign stealing

Just now, UTexasFight said:

Good lord

Y’all need take off the tin foil hat and just enjoy the win

(and for the record, we (‘04 team) still own the record for most HRs through 9 postseason games)

It's not tin foil hat. Three grand slams in two games????? 21 HRs? Alex Cora, the architect of the scheme with Houston? After MLB blamed their previous cheating on a rogue employee and gave the organization a free pass???

There is no way they weren't on our signs. The Astros and Strom just adjusted and made them pay. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

their bats went crazy in games 2 and 3 but i agree.

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The light was being used to distract our hitters. Likely it was around Sale's release point, and made it harder to pick up his pitches. He had his best start of the postseason, until the light got shut off and the Astros immediately put 5 up on him and some relievers.

I'm not 100% sure I'm ready to jump in on this yet, but if this is true, wouldn't it be damn near impossible for the home plate ump not to notice it as well?  Did our guys point it out to the ump?  There's got to be more to this story.  There isn't one good reason for any type of light to be flashing out there at any point during a playoff game.  And it wasn't some rogue fan, so...  What happened?

Thank goodness we have the ethical journalists at ESPN to ask the tough questions.  Answers are surely coming...

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

243457440_10165502594185431_559656077426

247059861_10165502594255431_493296541634

243516931_10165502594150431_312856221623

246755326_10165502594365431_854385478832

it looks great on tv and i'm a sucker for baseball history, but man that place is a fucking dump.

it's been a while since i've been, but last time there was water dripping on someone sitting in the seat like 3 to my right from...somewhere above us?  and the usher/red sox fans acted very non-surprised by it.  she just had to deal with it.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

it looks great on tv and i'm a sucker for baseball history, but man that place is a fucking dump.

it's been a while since i've been, but last time there was water dripping on someone sitting in the seat like 3 to my right from...somewhere above us?  and the usher/red sox fans acted very non-surprised by it.  she just had to deal with it.

Absolute dump with obstructed views everywhere.   But a great place to watch a game.  

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Clam chowder concession stands doesn’t do it for you?!

10 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Absolute dump with obstructed views everywhere.   But a great place to watch a game.  

Wrigley Field is just two years newer and still is a magnificent ballpark with excellent sight lines throughout. A good architect makes all the difference. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Wrigley Field is just two years older and still is a magnificent ballpark with excellent sight lines throughout. A good architect makes all the difference. 

Blame the site as much as the architect in my opinion as it relates to Fenway. But yeah the one time I went my view was obstructed and I hated the experience of actually watching the game 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Blame the site as much as the architect in my opinion as it relates to Fenway. But yeah the one time I went my view was obstructed and I hated the experience of actually watching the game 

Probably not a good idea to look into construction contracts in Boston, however.