2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

15 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

More speaking of how in both games we managed to hold visiting team scoreless in the 10th and then get multiple men on with no outs. This time we put the ball in play.

Oh yeah- from the bottom of the 7th on it was basically exactly opposite- including the 10th being like a mirror image. 

18 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

The Dusty shit is tired. He gave Lance a chance to get out of that inning when he was at 100+ pitches and McCullers unfortunately walked both the 8 and 9 hitters. Javier can get one out, he has the stuff. He just grooved one first and then got the out. 

Sorry I disagree. The Astros are 7 games worse than their run differential says they should be. Dusty is not a good manager at this point in time. You have to bring in Graveman in the 7th. This whole managing from a script shit is stupid.

The Astros should have the best record in baseball.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I think we can all agree on this: Watching Jake Meyers ball out is more exciting than Myles Straw. 

I appreciated Straw's effort and improvement.  I didn't enjoy him almost killing Altuve early or the mistakes on fielding balls other players would consider 'routine.'

Cool with what Meyers has going on too.

31 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

The Dusty shit is tired. He gave Lance a chance to get out of that inning when he was at 100+ pitches and McCullers unfortunately walked both the 8 and 9 hitters. Javier can get one out, he has the stuff. He just grooved one first and then got the out. 

Do you not understand baseball fandom?

We're just doing our job.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Sorry I disagree. The Astros are 7 games worse than their run differential says they should be. Dusty is not a good manager at this point in time. You have to bring in Graveman in the 7th. This whole managing from a script shit is stupid.

The Astros should have the best record in baseball.

When the manager steps in the batters box and toes the rubber, I'll agree with you. Attributing pythag differential to Dusty Baker's decisions vs the players on the field or the injuries to the team or the players sleepwalking against shitty opponents is just silly. It's judging him on the outcomes of those close games and not the logic or the process behind it. You're assuming everything good was the expected result because of the players on the field and the results that went against us were because of the manager. When you start giving Dusty Baker *some* credit for this team winning consistently despite all the injuries and the lack of a true ace pitcher, I'll believe the criticisms to be fair. But imo the only reason y'all are hating on Dusty Baker is because he's old and a very familiar and historically criticized MLB manager. He's done a good job this year and he's doing exactly what Click and Crane expect. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

When the manager steps in the batters box and toes the rubber, I'll agree with you. Attributing pythag differential to Dusty Baker's decisions vs the players on the field or the injuries to the team or the players sleepwalking against shitty opponents is just silly. It's judging him on the outcomes of those close games and not the logic or the process behind it. You're assuming everything good was the expected result because of the players on the field and the results that went against us were because of the manager. When you start giving Dusty Baker *some* credit for this team winning consistently despite all the injuries and the lack of a true ace pitcher, I'll believe the criticisms to be fair. But imo the only reason y'all are hating on Dusty Baker is because he's old and a very familiar and historically criticized MLB manager. He's done a good job this year and he's doing exactly what Click and Crane expect. 

If you don’t see that bringing in Graveman there was the right call, then we aren’t going to agree. They went and got him for these exact situations. Throw 2 sinkers, let Merrifield pound one into the ground, and go home early. If Graveman gives up the exact same hit, people would be bitching about the outcome and not the move. The usage has been screwy, and it’s ok to admit as much.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

I guess I could stomach a Yankees win…

Remember when I said the yanks We’re going to make the playoffs and win 90 and people did the math on it and called me dumb?  Yeah- I’m fine with being wrong if we take care of bidness in Arlington if the A’s sweep. 

2015: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_American_League_Wild_Card_Game

2017: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_American_League_Championship_Series

2019: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_American_League_Championship_Series

2021: ???

We need part 4, some streaks should never die.... Archangel Altuve needs to reave some more Bronx souls...

• Hook 'Em 1

I think we need the Yankees to lose as much as we need the A's to lose because it is turning into 4 teams for 3 spots (Yankees, A's, Red Sox, Astros) 

I would rather have the WC teams win totals be low, in case the A's somehow pass us.  We also can control that destiny more by the amount of times we still play the A's.  

Regardless we just need to win and it won't fucking matter anyway 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

I think we need the Yankees to lose as much as we need the A's to lose because it is turning into 4 teams for 3 spots (Yankees, A's, Red Sox, Astros) 

I would rather have the WC teams win totals be low, in case the A's somehow pass us.  We also can control that destiny more by the amount of times we still play the A's.  

Regardless we just need to win and it won't fucking matter anyway 

Yep- this is what I'm basically thinking of.  I guess you could throw in the Rays and Mariners (for about a minute more anyway) and call it 6 for 4.  We lead the A's and the M's by more than the Rays lead the Yanks, but it would be a pretty stunning collapse for them to get overtaken by the Red Sox, Yanks and either A's or M's).  

I like this set up to the playoffs the best for sure:

1) Tampa vs Bos/Oak

2) Houston v 3) White sox. 

I imagine we will get Bos/Yankees and that's fine too.  I want them White Sox at home in the first round.  That's got to be the biggest advantage we could get as they are young, untested and might be over their head here (plus we butt fucked them this year).  Want the Rays to play the Yanks if the Yanks are going to get through. Otherwise I'd want to be the 1 seed if Boston or Oakland was going to get through.  Could we beat the Yanks and Rays both and win the league? Of course, but I think the best 3 teams in the playoffs will be HOU, Tampa and NYY, so I'd just as soon only have to play 1 of that group to get through. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep- this is what I'm basically thinking of.  I guess you could throw in the Rays and Mariners (for about a minute more anyway) and call it 6 for 4.  We lead the A's and the M's by more than the Rays lead the Yanks, but it would be a pretty stunning collapse for them to get overtaken by the Red Sox, Yanks and either A's or M's).  

I like this set up to the playoffs the best for sure:

1) Tampa vs Bos/Oak

2) Houston v 3) White sox. 

I imagine we will get Bos/Yankees and that's fine too.  I want them White Sox at home in the first round.  That's got to be the biggest advantage we could get as they are young, untested and might be over their head here (plus we butt fucked them this year).  Want the Rays to play the Yanks if the Yanks are going to get through. Otherwise I'd want to be the 1 seed if Boston or Oakland was going to get through.  Could we beat the Yanks and Rays both and win the league? Of course, but I think the best 3 teams in the playoffs will be HOU, Tampa and NYY, so I'd just as soon only have to play 1 of that group to get through. 

I mean yeah essentially I want to host the ChiSox in the ALDS for sure.  I do think you're going to get either MFY/Oak or MFY/Bos in the Wild Card assuming Tampa can hold off the MFY but I don't think there is any way you'll see Bos/Oak in the Wild Card.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Pimphand said:

I mean yeah essentially I want to host the ChiSox in the ALDS for sure.  I do think you're going to get either MFY/Oak or MFY/Bos in the Wild Card assuming Tampa can hold off the MFY but I don't think there is any way you'll see Bos/Oak in the Wild Card.

Agreed. It’s on the table as a possibility and if Oakland were to sweep the yanks in 4 games it becomes a much more realistic possibility, but I’d be pretty pretty surprised with either a 4 game Oakland now or with an ultimate Bos v Oak wild card. 

29 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Yep. I think that's right. But on the off chance the A's sweep the Yanks it sure brings A's/Sox WC into play.  I don't think the Yanks are getting caught from behind by basically pretty shitty Boston and Oakland teams

22 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Anyone rooting for an A’s victory is either being stupid or over-complicating things. Priority #1 is to win the division. Once that’s clinched then you can worry about seedings. 

We've got a 5 game lead and a softer schedule than them, and we've had their number if it comes down to it.  I'm not stressing too much about winning the division. 

Ideal scenario is the Astros sweep the Rangers and the Yankees sweep Oakland. That would leave both the Astros and Yankees at an identical 78-52 but the Astros would have an 8 1/2 game lead over Oakland, with a very good chance that Seattle would be ahead of Oakland in the AL West standings.

Edited by Gourmand

1 minute ago, slorch said:

if that's the case, and Mr Wheelbarrow is back...

Let the nuts hang?  Yeah, fuck everyyone.

Two things...

1) ESPN has the A's chance at making the Wild Card at 16.8% let alone winning the division

2) We still haven't seen the death star fully operational yet because Brantley only pinch hit yesterday

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

Ideal scenario is the Astros sweep the Rangers and the Yankees sweep Oakland. That would leave both the Astros and Yankees at an identical 78-52 but the Astros would have an 8 1/2 game lead over Oakland, with a very good chance that Seattle would be ahead of Oakland in the AL West standings.

Goddamn y'all need to stop pissing down your legs about Oakland....

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Goddamn y'all need to stop pissing down your legs about Oakland....

It's not 'pissing down my leg' but it IS recognizing the possibility.  Stros' alleged weaker schedule does nothing to bring happiness or confidence what with the way Houston has fared against shitty teams this season.

When I say i want Oakland to lose, it's just that more margin for error is conducive to eradicating bullshit series or serious injuries from being factors for the Astros.

We are agreement with the overall approach, though.  Win the games and don't worry about the other shit.

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, Apollo Dez said:

I think Seattle is more dangerous than Oakland young team playing well above expectations with that idgaf attitude like our 2015 team. It’s just one of those baseball things where we own them. 

Much like the Rangers owned us in 2015.

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Anyone rooting for an A’s victory is either being stupid or over-complicating things. Priority #1 is to win the division. Once that’s clinched then you can worry about seedings. 

this, win the division and get healthy

this team fucks, home or road