2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Educate me on this: if you have a player's Bird Rights, and he opts out of his final year to become a FA, don't you still have some of salary on hold factored into the cap until he signs with a different team?  Not the full $21M, but a decent chunk?  In other words, he doesn't count as $0 once he opts out?  A team could still sign other players right up to the salary cap, then max out their player with Bird Rights after...but that cap hold still counts against the cap in the meantime?

I think d2o got ya, but the cap hold counts unless they renounce the player and then re-sign him.  I had his cap hold around 30 million.  He can sign with any team but the Raptors starting at about 35 million in the first year.

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

I guess you aren't getting the point. No one is criticizing the contract amount.  Melo had proven to be a detriment to any team his has been a part of, at the pro level. Signing CA is like paying to have cancer. 

NY could never add even an All Star player around him and he played with no PG. last season he played again with no PG and also a ball dominant wing in George.  He was set up for failure.  Money and pride kept him in NY for too long and NY has shown themselves to be terribly run.  

He played the role he was asked to last year and didn’t rock the boat. What cancer did he create? I’m interested to watch him put his money where his mouth is and play. He will have real opportunity and won’t be the defensive focus for the first time in a decade. It is a win win no risk move for Houston. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Houston has saved the careers on Beverly, Beasley and Green in the last three years and got CP3 to the conference finals.

They just seem to do it better than others, and exponentially so when compared to NY and OKC. 

This

31 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I think d2o got ya, but the cap hold counts unless they renounce the player and then re-sign him.  I had his cap hold around 30 million.  He can sign with any team but the Raptors starting at about 35 million in the first year.

If they renounce, they lose Bird rights though.

50 minutes ago, Robin Masters said:

Melo gonna run with the 2's but have tons of spacing?

Not so bold prediction. Ennis will be a bigger contributor than Melo.

Yes? At the moment running with the 2s means he's going to be on the court with one of Harden/Paul along with guys like Gordon, Green, and Anderson. There will be plenty of space for Melo there.

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Houston has saved the careers on Beverly, Beasley and Green in the last three years and got CP3 to the conference finals.

They just seem to do it better than others, and exponentially so when compared to NY and OKC. 

They also get marginally talented players paid.

1 hour ago, goatsaag said:

Yes? At the moment running with the 2s means he's going to be on the court with one of Harden/Paul along with guys like Gordon, Green, and Anderson. There will be plenty of space for Melo there.

No shit. He's going to run with the top PG of his generation, and two guards that can light it up for anywhere on the court. It's like these people don't watch a single Rockets' game.

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I guess their reasoning is he is cheap and nothing to lose? But he is a net negative. It has been proven. He will actually make your team worse. Melo doesn't care about winning. He wants his shots and points. That's it.

8 hours ago, Chad said:

Rocket fans will be tired of Melo 2 weeks into the season. If you're expecting him to embrace a bench role and be productive off the bench y'all are in for a rude awakening. If you're expecting him to gracefully share the court with CP3 and Harden without slicing into their share of the pie y'all are in for an even bigger rude awakening. Blame Westbrook, Donovan or whoever for his shitty 17-18 season, he's been on the decline for some time. Last season it accelerated and I wouldn't blame the coach or the players he was playing with. D'Antoni couldn't keep him happy as the #1 option it'll be hilarious when Melo inevitably begins to turn the locker room against him.

I get where yall are coming from. That's been Melo most of his career.

However, he's experienced a lot of shit off the court. How has that changed his thinking/approach to life in general? Is he now just seeking a place where he can be at peace, have some happiness? 

As others have pointed out, not much risk for the Rockets. It'll be interesting to watch how it unfolds. 

All these Spurs and Mavericks fan in here hoping and praying that this Melo addition destroys the team that had the best regular season record and pushed the team of the century to 7 games in the WCF cracks me up. The Rockets might not be able to beat GS but they’ll damn sure be good enough to kick the shit out of those teams.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rockets will be 1-2 seed and meet up with GS in WCF unless major injuries occur.  Mavs/Spurs fan act like Rockets are gonna get bounced in 1st round because they added a future HOF player and 3rd/4th scoring option.  Comical   

No they will not win the same amount of games as last year. Had they brought back exact same roster that wasn’t happening either so shelf that argument

Edited by joeycovers

Why, in every fucking basketball thread on this board, do rockets fans think that someone disagreeing with them automatically makes them a Spurs or Mavs fan. The Spurs fans on here don’t do that. I don’t watch the Mavs enough to know if they do or not. People can have different opinions than you without being a shill for another team. Especially when the topic is whether or not Melo will succeed lol.

For the record, I’m none. I’m a basketball fan. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

describing melo as "a future HOF player" is the most disingenuous thing i've seen posted here in a week. 

I'm certainly no Melo fan, but his place in the basketball HOF seems very secure.  NCAA All-American, National Champion and Tourney MOP.  NBA All Rookie team, 10 time All-Star, 6 time All-NBA League teams, NBA scoring champion, 4 time US Olympian, 3 time gold medalist, bronze medalist, All-time leading scorer, rebounder, and games played for US Basketball.  I mean..... he may not be first ballot (but he may be), but he's easily getting in, warts and all.

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'm certainly no Melo fan, but his place in the basketball HOF seems very secure.  NCAA All-American, National Champion and Tourney MOP.  NBA All Rookie team, 10 time All-Star, 6 time All-NBA League teams, NBA scoring champion, 4 time US Olympian, 3 time gold medalist, bronze medalist, All-time leading scorer, rebounder, and games played for US Basketball.  I mean..... he may not be first ballot (but he may be), but he's easily getting in, warts and all.

oh i know he's in, he's just nowhere near HOF form. Larry Bird is already in the basketball HOF but if the Rockets signed him today I wouldn't enthusiastically exclaim, "the Rockets just signed a hall of famer!" 

Edited by Goo Punch

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Dwight Howard

9 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

oh i know he's in, he's just nowhere near HOF form. Larry Bird is already in the basketball HOF but if the Rockets signed him today I wouldn't enthusiastically exclaim, "the Rockets just signed a hall of famer!" 

I'd take Larry any day of the week

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Gotcha, gotcha, gotcha.  I agree then.  Melo's nowhere near his All-Star peak form.  Maybe he has a dead cat bounce, but probably not...... I think his offense may pop a little if he finally submits to what MDA wants, but he's a terrible defensive player.

11 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Beasley played 18 minutes a game with the Rockets. Gerald Green played 22.7 minutes a game and 16 minutes a game in the playoffs. 

Melo hasn't played less than 32 minutes a game in his entire career. 

Beasley and Green are examples of guys that "played their role" as the 7th to 10th guy on the roster. This is a low risk move by the Rockets if Melo is willing to be that type player. We'll see if that happens. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

All these Spurs and Mavericks fan in here hoping and praying that this Melo addition destroys the team that had the best regular season record and pushed the team of the century to 7 games in the WCF cracks me up. The Rockets might not be able to beat GS but they’ll damn sure be good enough to kick the shit out of those teams.
Are y'all hanging a banner for almost winning? Sounds very Aggy. You sound defensive and insecure as fuck in this post. We are simply speaking on that loser Melo.

No one said he will destroy this team. He just isn't going to add one ounce of value. He will make them worse. They'll still be a top 2 seed but they will get ran off the court by GSW when it matters. But hey, maybe y'all can go 7 games again for a moral victory.
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Are you by chance an aggy? Are the Rockets planning on hanging a banner to celebrate pushing the Warriors to game 7 in the WCF? Coulda, shoulda, woulda, but y'all didn't win shit of significance. I guess the best regular season record is something to thump your chest about when your team was completely irrelevant for the better part of 20 years.

The series may have been 4-3 but it wasn't even remotely close. 119-106, 126-85, 115-86 and 101-92. That's hilariously bad losing by 30+ in the conference finals, but I suppose it's not quite as bad being buried 114-75  with the opposing team's superstar on the sidelines.

Edited by Chad
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This will be interesting to watch. Will Wade turn down this type money? 

That may be a monster offer for China.   Not so much for a guy that has made $180M in his career and who is still pulling in pretty good money here now off the court.    His oldest son is in HS and looks to be a pretty good player.   Cant imagine he would want to move him to China at this point.

How many of the people bashing the Melo acquisition were the same ones saying Houston was stupid for signing Paul last year because there was no way he and Harden could co-exist?

Melo is maybe the 7th or 8th man for Houston.  Nothing more.  He is definitely behind Harden, Paul, Capela, Gordon, Tucker, and Ennis.

Melo is maybe the 7th or 8th man for Houston.  Nothing more.  He is definitely behind Harden, Paul, Capela, Gordon, Tucker, and Ennis.

Lol

You don't actually believe melo is going to go from "wont come off the bench" to being the 8th option behind the likes of Gordon, tucker, capella, and whoever Ennis is.

Cp3 obviously could ball before coming to Houston and was a top 5 PG. We just questioned whether his shooting or having the ball in his hands would mesh with harden or not. Obviously it did.

Melos PER was worse than Andrew wiggins'. Who knows if all his role would be is catch and shoot open js because cp3/harden will find you...but his track record in OKC, NY and Denver screams (not racist) black hole

40 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

How many of the people bashing the Melo acquisition were the same ones saying Houston was stupid for signing Paul last year because there was no way he and Harden could co-exist?

Most people were questioning the fit with CP3 and Harden. Nobody was questioning CP3's ability. CP3 can still play. 

Melo sucks. He's sucked for several years now. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You do realize that Melo refused to assume a bench role in OKC right? Did you miss that key detail along the way? He never bought into D'Antoni's system in NY and ran him out of town.

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/04/28/oklahoma-city-thunder-carmelo-anthony-not-interested-bench-role

I think everybody knows that I've sacrificed kind of damn near everything," Anthony said. "Family, moving here by myself, sacrificed my game for the sake of the team, and was willing to sacrifice anything and everything in order for this situation to work out. So it's something I really have to think about, if I really want to be this type of player, finish out my career as this type of player, knowing that I have so much left in the tank and I bring so much to the game of basketball.

The egomaniac still believes he's some sort of amazing talent that is better than a bench player.

https://nypost.com/2017/05/09/mike-dantoni-comes-clean-i-quit-because-of-carmelo/

Former Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni admitted to the worst-kept secret of his departure — he resigned on March 14, 2012, because of Carmelo Anthony.

On the day of his resignation, The Post ran a back-page story, citing a source, that Anthony didn’t want to remain a Knick at the trade deadline if he knew D’Antoni would return next season. D’Antoni resigned later that afternoon.

Good luck with that.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't think people realize how good Ariza was. Granted, these off-ball shooting numbers will likely improve with CP3/Harden. 

No dumbass, we recognize that Ariza was good because he had Paul and Harden setting him up and a real offensive that preaches floor spacing, he had neither of those things last year playing in OKC. It's hilarious that the NBA world thinks Trevor fucking Ariza is this unbelievable player, when his numbers plummet playing for Phoenix because none of those things exist anymore, I'm sure you still will not get it.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

No dumbass, we recognize that Ariza was good because he had Paul and Harden setting him up and a real offensive that preaches floor spacing, he had neither of those things last year playing in OKC. It's hilarious that the NBA world thinks Trevor fucking Ariza is this unbelievable player, when his number plummet playing or Phoenix because none of those things exist anymore, I'm sure you still will not get it.

Rockets fans sure get testy over defending a shit player like Melo. Hilarious. 

You better hope Melo is twice the shooter Ariza is because Melo couldn't defend a high schooler at this point in his career. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

As opposed to defending a shit player in Ariza, equally hilarious.

If you don't think Ariza is a good defender I don't think you watch much basketball. 

It's hilarious seeing you defend an inefficient player like Melo while all you do is shit on Osetkowski in other threads for the same very reason. Hypocritical much? 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chad said:

The series may have been 4-3 but it wasn't even remotely close. 

maybe rockets fans get overly defensive because people go around spouting stupid ass shit like this.  the warriors played two elimination games but the series "wasn't even remotely close."  fuck off with that dumbass hot take shit.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

maybe rockets fans get overly defensive because people go around spouting stupid ass shit like this.  the warriors played two elimination games but the series "wasn't even remotely close."  fuck off with that dumbass hot take shit.

This

Rockets were down 6 points with 5 minutes left in a game 7. But it wasn't close. Right. 

6 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

Someone is rather sensitive. Look at the margins of victory, it wasn't even close. Every time Houston responded the Warriors in turn squashed them. The scores looked reminiscent of something you'd see in the first round of the playoffs with an over matched #8 seed pitted against the #1 seed......but worse.  119-106, 126-85, 115-86, 101-92  The two bold games are flat out hilarious a 70 point margin of victory between those two games alone.

58 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

WTF????

ESPN reporting with @WindhorstESPN: Cavaliers forward Kevin Love has signed a four-year, $120 million contract extension --- topping out his overall deal at five-years, $145 million, league sources tell ESPN.

Newsbreak:  Cleveland's front office is still shitty

1 hour ago, Chad said:

Someone is rather sensitive. Look at the margins of victory, it wasn't even close. Every time Houston responded the Warriors in turn squashed them. The scores looked reminiscent of something you'd see in the first round of the playoffs with an over matched #8 seed pitted against the #1 seed......but worse.  119-106, 126-85, 115-86, 101-92  The two bold games are flat out hilarious a 70 point margin of victory between those two games alone.

Except that when the Rockets responded in game 4 after losing by 41 in game 3.. They won game 5 as well to go up 3-2.  But your right. I'm sure GS just wanted the thrill of winning in game 7. I guess they just wanted to "squash them" in 6 and 7.  You must be one of the same clowns that thought GS would lose on purpose in game 4 vs Cavs so they could "win at home". 

GS last 2 years with KD is 28-3 vs NBA in Playoffs

4-3 vs Houston

Not close though. Nice take

28 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Except that when the Rockets responded in game 4 after losing by 41 in game 3.. They won game 5 as well to go up 3-2.  But your right. I'm sure GS just wanted the thrill of winning in game 7. I guess they just wanted to "squash them" in 6 and 7.  You must be one of the same clowns that thought GS would lose on purpose in game 4 vs Cavs so they could "win at home". 

GS last 2 years with KD is 28-3 vs NBA in Playoffs

4-3 vs Houston

Not close though. Nice take

2-3 against a healthy Rockets squad, 2-0 vs. Rockets without Paul.

Edited by HtownHorn