2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

LOL..... Breaking:  Every team in the NBA actively looking to trade their worst contracts!!!  League sources agree.  Money's tight.  Not sure anyone is falling over themselves to grab George Hill at 20 million.  Hilarious part is the article says they think they'll get picks for these guys..... wha?  I'm sure Detroit is getting ready to make an offer.

Yeah, I dont believe that LBJ is planning to go easily into the night.   I think he has every intent on trying to win in LA.    Every susperstar that has gone there has got at least one.    I don't see him going there and not thinking that the plan is to win.
...d544de4d55e01aab38dd47ddb5100be2.jpg

LOL..... Breaking:  Every team in the NBA actively looking to trade their worst contracts!!!  League sources agree.  Money's tight.  Not sure anyone is falling over themselves to grab George Hill at 20 million.  Hilarious part is the article says they think they'll get picks for these guys..... wha?  I'm sure Detroit is getting ready to make an offer.
Hill's second year only has 1m guaranteed, so it's like a big expiring deal.

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:
1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Hill's second year only has 1m guaranteed, so it's like a big expiring deal.

Yea, 20 million for a season of George Hill.... Who's gonna want a piece of that?  I can't see any team taking his contract on unless they get an asset attached, but Cleveland is looking for things back for Mr. Hill and KK.  Korver's only 7.5 million so not nearly as bad although still pretty costly for a 10-12 minute guy at this stage.  I foresee a lot of buyouts this season.  Teams are having a hard time finding teams with cap space willing to take bad contracts on.  I can only think of Philly who took Wilson Chandler on thus far this free agency period..... Atlanta may.  They still have tons of space.  Chicago but they have Zach Levine out there....

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
29 minutes ago, immortal13 said:
And the value of Kawhi Leonard keeps going down...

Do the Spurs have to pay him if he sits out?

Yes, NBA contracts are guaranteed. However if he is healthy, he may be in breach of contract by continuing to claim an injury. This looks like it's going to get uglier

Yes, NBA contracts are guaranteed. However if he is healthy, he may be in breach of contract by continuing to claim an injury. This looks like it's going to get uglier
I'm just rooting for chaos lol. Never would have guessed the quiet ass Kawhi would be full of drama.

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
7 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I'm just rooting for chaos lol. Never would have guessed the quiet ass Kawhi would be full of drama.

I almost feel sorry for Spurs fans. 

Yea, 20 million for a season of George Hill.... Who's gonna want a piece of that?  I can't see any team taking his contract on unless they get an asset attached, but Cleveland is looking for things back for Mr. Hill and KK.  Korver's only 7.5 million so not nearly as bad although still pretty costly for a 10-12 minute guy at this stage.  I foresee a lot of buyouts this season.  Teams are having a hard time finding teams with cap space willing to take bad contracts on.  I can only think of Philly who took Wilson Chandler on thus far this free agency period..... Atlanta may.  They still have tons of space.  Chicago but they have Zach Levine out there....

Well, it's important if they want to get picks for him. They could take on a bad deal like Ryan Anderson, Deng, Melo, Bazemore, Batum, etc for about even money and the receiving team would have an expiring deal in return. Definitely worth a few 1sts in that case.

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The NBAPA needs to be very careful here.  Their job is to look out for all the players, and if they decide to go all in with KL, (depending on what can be proven), they might be doing a disservice to every other player they represent.

I doubt the Spurs would dig in their heels and and create a lawsuit or anything like that.  They don't want a bad perception from other players down the line.  Although apparently Kawhis agent only has 1 nba client and thats him, so pissing off the agency is moot.  

The players unions normally go above and beyond in defending players.  The NBA players, as it relates to compensation and rights, probably have the best deal in professional sports.  They shouldn’t want the owners to get wary of fully guaranteed contracts.

5 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I doubt the Spurs would dig in their heels and and create a lawsuit or anything like that.  They don't want a bad perception from other players down the line.  Although apparently Kawhis agent only has 1 nba client and thats him, so pissing off the agency is moot.  

With Mom and Uncle Dennis on the payroll...... 

9 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
3 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:
i'd take korver on the rockets if there was a way to make it happen.

Hell to the naw. No defense and will disappear in the playoffs. Ryan Anderson Part 2.

Gerald Green already plays that role anyway.

52 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

A couple of RFA's may have to do this.....

Capela is overplaying his hand. He offensive game is nothing to write home about, and while his defense is elite, you don't pay max for a one way player.

Edited by HtownHorn

If the Rockets offered several years at $15-20 million per year they’d be overpaying based on ROI, let alone a max deal. If Capela takes even a quarter step backwards he may be campaigning for even less than that come June 2019. Talk that he was a max salary player now is sillier than when players like Wiggins got them. 

8 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If the Rockets offered several years at $15-20 million per year they’d be overpaying based on ROI, let alone a max deal. If Capela takes even a quarter step backwards he may be campaigning for even less than that come June 2019. Talk that he was a max salary player now is sillier than when players like Wiggins got them. 

what? no. Capela >>>> Wiggins. Capela is elite defensively, great on the glass, shoots a very high percentage, and has steadily improved every single year. people keep talking about him as if we're totally unsure if he's actually good or not. he's very good- top 20-25 player in the league, and he can certainly be the third best player on a championship team. he's 23 years old and coming off a season where he went for 14/11/2 and led the league in fg%. he's nothing like Wiggins who is a one dimensional player who's not even great at his one dimension.

Edited by Goo Punch

29 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

what? no. Capela >>>> Wiggins. Capela is elite defensively, great on the glass, shoots a very high percentage, and has steadily improved every single year. people keep talking about him as if we're totally unsure if he's actually good or not. he's very good- top 20-25 player in the league, and he can certainly be the third best player on a championship team. he's 23 years old and coming off a season where he went for 14/11/2 and led the league in fg%. he's nothing like Wiggins who is a one dimensional player who's not even great at his one dimension.

Are you actually serious? Capela is among the least skilled offensive players in the NBA. He's a less physical DeAndre Jordan. Tell me which one is an over-rated big in decline and which is a top 20 player in the league (lol):

DAJvs_Capela.png

Edited by Llogg
Not a defense of Wiggins, BTW.

a guy like Capela at the age of 23 who is still years away from his peak is worth $15-$20M/yr. He is going to keep getting better and is a key cog for the Rockets. There's nobody out there who they can replace him with for the same amount of money. Even if he's not currently a top 25 player in the league he looks to be for 5+ years going forward.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

With no evidence but gut feeling of watching sports, if Capela got a max deal at this point he’d be more likely to regress to a serviceable spare or be perpetually injured than be multi-year all star. 

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Capela is overplaying his hand. He offensive game is nothing to write home about, and while his defense is elite, you don't pay max for a one way player.

Could I respectfully disagree and state that alot of players are going to get paid next summer, and Capela seems like the perfect candidate.

I mean, this is a quote from the article:

"The first offer made by Houston was considered disappointing by the player's camp, a source with knowledge of the situation told Sportando. After the meeting, several teams who are expected to have major cap space available in the next summer called in to let Capela's camp know that they'll be ready to offer him a max deal in 2019, a league source told Sportando. In fact, with Capela being a restricted free agent this summer, teams interested in him are afraid that every offer sheet they'll propose would be matched by Houston, so they're willing to play the wait and see game until next summer. "

Edited by Ricky Butler

49 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

a guy like Capela at the age of 23 who is still years away from his peak is worth $15-$20M/yr. He is going to keep getting better and is a key cog for the Rockets. There's nobody out there who they can replace him with for the same amount of money. Even if he's not currently a top 25 player in the league he looks to be for 5+ years going forward.

The money is a different metric than the ranking. He is nowhere near a top 25 player in the league right now and likely never will be. That is some super duper aggy level homerism right there. He's a top 10 center in a league that devalues centers.

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
5 hours ago, immortal13 said:

It' always the quiet ones that must be watched...

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

okay, plain ol' dumb then.

i'm willing to bet that's he a consensus top 20-25 player during his career. he's only gotten better and better every year, and he's only two years older some lottery picks this year. his peak is years away.

yeah people seriously underrate/downplay capela because he plays with harden (and now paul) as if the only thing he does is catch and dunk lobs.  he's a really good player who outplayed both karl anthony-towns and rudy gobert in the playoffs and he is getting better each and every year.  i don't know where he'll ultimately end up on the top whatever players in the league lists, but i'd be very upset if he left the rockets and i'd be fine with them paying him somewhere around $18 million/year for the next 4-5 years.  i hope they can work something out.

5 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

Could I respectfully disagree and state that alot of players are going to get paid next summer, and Capela seems like the perfect candidate.

I mean, this is a quote from the article:

"The first offer made by Houston was considered disappointing by the player's camp, a source with knowledge of the situation told Sportando. After the meeting, several teams who are expected to have major cap space available in the next summer called in to let Capela's camp know that they'll be ready to offer him a max deal in 2019, a league source told Sportando. In fact, with Capela being a restricted free agent this summer, teams interested in him are afraid that every offer sheet they'll propose would be matched by Houston, so they're willing to play the wait and see game until next summer. "

A lot of teams will have money next year, we could see another 2016 offseason bonanza for mid-tier free agents. Just look at this list and sort by Practical Cap Space, it's going to be great for players  next year. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2019/

Edited by Dutchrudder

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

It's not, I don't think he's going to get a huge offer next year either. Though I could also see Jordan and Capela switching teams next year in a SnT.

He'll be unrestricted.   Teams don't want to tie up the limited cap space they have waiting to see if their offer sheet on a UFA is matched.    He will definitely get a much better offer next yr.  Additionally, a lot more teams will have cap money to spend.

Edited by d2o

8 hours ago, Llogg said:

Are you actually serious? Capela is among the least skilled offensive players in the NBA. He's a less physical DeAndre Jordan. Tell me which one is an over-rated big in decline and which is a top 20 player in the league (lol):

DAJvs_Capela.png

yeah, he is basically Tyson Chandler.   Very good defensively.    If he has a good PG he can be useful offensively.    If not, I dont expect him to make any sort of real offensive impact.

24 minutes ago, Snacks said:

How do we know Capela is among the last skilled offensive players? He almost never gets an opportunity outside of a lob...

What we do know is he is hell on the lob...

One is by watching the game, but two is that he shot <35% from 5-9 feet. 

https://stats.nba.com/players/shooting/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season&PlayerPosition=C&CF=PLAYER_NAME*E*clint capela

In fact, his performance at that range is worse than Bismack Biyombo.

https://stats.nba.com/players/shooting/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season&PlayerPosition=C&sort=5-9 ft. FG PCT&dir=1&CF=5-9 ft. FGA*G*0.5

And is he really hell on the lob? FG% at <5 feet among centers with at least 100 attempts at that distance per game puts him at 15th. 

https://stats.nba.com/players/shooting/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season&PlayerPosition=C&PerMode=Totals&sort=Less Than 5 ft. FG PCT&dir=1&CF=Less Than 5 ft. FGA*GE*100

Edited by Llogg

9 minutes ago, Llogg said:

which is  why another team would be foolish to pay him top dollar -- Cap is basically a Rocket system guy who feeds off Harden/Paul . I'd like to know how many of his buckets are from those two.  He won't fit in well on another team. 

8 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah people seriously underrate/downplay capela because he plays with harden (and now paul) as if the only thing he does is catch and dunk lobs.  he's a really good player who outplayed both karl anthony-towns and rudy gobert in the playoffs and he is getting better each and every year.  i don't know where he'll ultimately end up on the top whatever players in the league lists, but i'd be very upset if he left the rockets and i'd be fine with them paying him somewhere around $18 million/year for the next 4-5 years.  i hope they can work something out.

true, he did outplay Gobert and KAT . Right now , in the Rocket system, Cap is a top 5 big man but only in his current context. He does have big time upside potential, work with Dream, succeed. 

1 minute ago, Orca of Peace said:

which is  why another team would be foolish to pay him top dollar -- Cap is basically a Rocket system guy who feeds off Harden/Paul . I'd like to know how many of his buckets are from those two.  He won't fit in well on another team. 

Andre Drummond, Hassan Whiteside, and DeAndre Jordan seem to fit in on other teams. So would Capela. Just because he's in the right system doesn't mean he wouldn't be good somewhere else.

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Andre Drummond, Hassan Whiteside, and DeAndre Jordan seem to fit in on other teams. So would Capela. Just because he's in the right system doesn't mean he wouldn't be good somewhere else.

I'm not arguing that he isn't an NBA starting level player. I'm simply pointing out that calling him a top 20-25 player in the league is 100% ridiculous. Top 20 players are guys you build a team around regardless of position. Capela is not, and likely never will be, that level of player. I mean, shit, GSW have 5 guys I'd pick before him. Then give me 3 from the Celtics before him and 2 from 76ers. That's 10 guys you'd build around before getting to Capela just looking at 3 teams.

Edited by Llogg
not to mention the two guys on his own team that are making him look so good.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

I don't know how many were assisted by those guys, but only 72 of his 676 shots last year were from more than 5 feet, and he's not creating those shots off the dribble, so ...