Arrested Development

Evenkeel

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

Also do you think the PROPERTY OF TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX watermark is a joke or is it because of suits?

I'm kind of curious about that myself.  Remember in the original version of season 4, they had a watermark on the old scenes that said something like "SCENE STEALER PRO - DEMO VERSION" or something along those lines, which I thought was hilarious.

The PROPERTY OF TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX thing sure seems like a joke... like if there was a real problem they wouldn't have been able to use them or something?  

As for the remix version, I'm about halfway though and to me it makes a huge difference.  Of course season 4 still isn't as good as the originals, but having all of the characters in every episode (even though they are all rarely in the same room), combined with cutting them down to 22 minutes just makes season 4 "feel" more like the original show.  I'm really enjoying the re-watch.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

I liked season 4 but interested in the remix. As has been mentioned it’s lack of ensemble was more of the issue and binge watching was best to catch the time/joke overlaps. I assume DOB status won’t remove Jeffrey Tamboor for season 5?

Nope, he's still on the show.

• 2 weeks later...

this is officially out now.  some early, non-spoilery thoughts:

- it's only 8 episodes.  that surprised me.

- the first 2 episodes are hit and miss, because they're resolving a lot of the (massive) season 4 storyline and getting things in to place for season 5.

- episodes 3 and 4 are GREAT.  they feel so much like seasons 1-3.  each episode has a couple of hiccups, but overall they are easily the best episodes of the revival.  i can't wait to watch the final four and if potential future seasons are going to be as good as this, i hope they have many more.

6 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

- the first 2 episodes are hit and miss, because they're resolving a lot of the (massive) season 4 storyline and getting things in to place for season 5.

- episodes 3 and 4 are GREAT.  they feel so much like seasons 1-3.  each episode has a couple of hiccups, but overall they are easily the best episodes of the revival.  i can't wait to watch the final four and if potential future seasons are going to be as good as this, i hope they have many more.

It's only the first half of the season.   8 more episodes will drop later this year.

Your post makes me optimistic for season 5.  I watched the remix of season 4 and found myself not really caring for it anymore than the original season 4.  Glad to hear it's returning to form.

3 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

Thanks for this.  I'm going to watch a few after work tonight.

32 minutes ago, Viper said:

what are the allegations anyway? That he yells at people a lot?

Basically, while filming other stuff he hit on crew members and assistants and the like.  Some of the rumors included that he would brush up against people while hard (but clothed).  The allegations caused him to quit the Amazon show Transparent, which critics loved for some reason (probably because anything transgender is "so brave").

Then while filming season 5 of AD there was a moment where he yelled at Jessica Walter and she cried.  She reportedly forgave him, but had not seen him since they finished shooting season 5, until they all had to make the rounds for promoting season 5.  During promotion for season 5, the yelling incident was discussed during a roundtable discussion with the whole cast for NYT and she cried about it again.  People were upset at Jason Bateman for trying to justify Tambor's on set outburst, and people were also upset at Tony Hale and David Cross for basically siding with Bateman on that.  Everyone apologized afterward, and some people criticized Bateman's apology, which was on Twitter.

There's a pretty funny joke early in season 5, 

Spoiler

George Sr. wears a red wig when he answers the door to pretend to be an old lady and throw off Detective Toddler.  Then Ron Howard narrates: But George Sr. soon realized his impression of a woman wasn't going to win him any awards. 

Edited by chainsaw

Tambor's a pretty physically imposing guy.  Most women would cry if confronted by him.  It was stupid for Netflix to allow the NYT roundtable without having thoroughly prepped the cast for that possible question.  Bateman definitely stepped in it.  When you're having a free flowing conversation with people you've worked for years with, I can understand forgetting that you're being recorded and acting naturally, and if this wasn't being reported by NYT I think his statements are reasonable and the kind of thing that longtime co-workers can discuss with each other on a frank and candid basis.

But of course, since it was not a private conversation Bateman got accused of "mansplaining" to Jessica Walter and everyone did the collective indignation song and dance once the story broke.  Bateman should have known better, and Netflix should have prepped them all for this very avoidable PR disaster.

The last two episodes of S5 are really hilarious.  I laughed a lot in them, more than I had for the rest of the season.  I know it's totally cliche and I shouldn't have laughed like I did, but that "keystone cops" bit in the last episode had me dying.

Guest Lobo

The scene with George Michael and Maebe talking about Gam-Gam's scenario with all the rapists and murders on an island had me crying.  And then the call-back with Gam-Gam and Tobias at the beach house was what Arrested Development is all about.  We're only a few episodes in and it's not quite the same as the old days, but still damn clever.  

• 5 months later...

Something I've been hypothesizing about for a few days while rewatching this show again...

Every time in the show when Tobias strips down to his cutoffs - such as the episode when he thinks George Michael is also a never-nude in the recreation of the living paintings episode - in Tobias' mind, he is completely nude thus he is exposing himself to anyone around him including minors. Obviously, later in the series, he does actually expose himself to other people before returning to cutoffs, but none the less when he strips down to his cutoffs at any point in the show should be taken as him effectively being naked.

6 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Something I've been hypothesizing about for a few days while rewatching this show again...

Every time in the show when Tobias strips down to his cutoffs - such as the episode when he thinks George Michael is also a never-nude in the recreation of the living paintings episode - in Tobias' mind, he is completely nude thus he is exposing himself to anyone around him including minors. Obviously, later in the series, he does actually expose himself to other people before returning to cutoffs, but none the less when he strips down to his cutoffs at any point in the show should be taken as him effectively being naked.

Interesting point. Also, happy Thanksgiving?

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

So the AD banner popped on Netflix over the weekend.  I had no idea it was due to some new episodes.  Played a season 2 episode for my 12 year-old (Ann, Mexico, Gene Parmesan, ICE) and he absolutely loved it.  So, I've gone back to Season 1 and we're 9 episodes in.  I had forgotten how funny some of the random, low-key running jokes were.  I.E.Tobias and blue paint around the house, Ann/Egg/MayonEgg/plant, "I've made a huge mistake", etc...

• 1 year later...