Ridingtosunsets ride into the sunset Meta thread of genius

Ridingtosunset

7 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

Doesn't have to be this way. 

No, it doesn't, but it's incumbent on Republicans to get their house in order. The Democratic Party is flawed, the Republican Party is off the rails and dangerous. There is no comparison, and no contest when it comes to culpability in poisoning our politics. But they deserve a pass because of the Green New Deal.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

I’ve read all of the stuff. I’ve worked in the energy business for 15 years. I know what our capacity is now, and I know renewables can’t come close to handling the load like South Austin’s mother can, but that has nothing to do with our discussion. I wasn’t arguing renewables were replacing oil/nat now, but within 50 years, and that the transition has already started, by energy companies, by countries, private equity, because it is a superior product. Your argument was it will be a disaster and it won’t happen. Neither of which have to do with current capacity 

This is good discussion. Thank you. How much of that transition is subsidized? What does higher energy cost do to our increasing wealth gap? If we do it, what are we accomplishing if China and India don't do it. 

• Fuck You 3

2 hours ago, Ridingtosunset said:

This is a thread to discuss the obvious lack of tolerance we have now for opinions with which we don't agree. I have no delusions this will remain civil, thus the need for the discussion. 

I'm looking for discussion on how we got here, social media? politics? wealth inequality? mental health? How do we fix it and can it be fixed? 

My thoughts are we've been manipulated to this point by a) politicians who benefit from dividing and securing voting blocs b) media that feeds on division and hate c) social media that has desensitized and isolated us from real relationships with others d) our own vanity 

How it started

9 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

Just watch the youtube clip, heathens. 

How it’s going

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Ridingtosunset said:

This is good discussion. Thank you. How much of that transition is subsidized? What does higher energy cost do to our increasing wealth gap? If we do it, what are we accomplishing if China and India don't do it. 

You realize that China has twice the deployed renewable energy capacity of the United States, right? And that it actually powers a larger percentage of its grid with renewables than the US?

Just now, Ridingtosunset said:

Holy shit. Put your money out there my man. 

I don't typically invest in single entity stocks, but I do have some in various renewable companies. Up 50% year-over-year. But that doesn't really matter. What matters is that you have very little time to write something of substance before you get crowd sourced. 

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

That YouTube has been passed around on various threads here for weeks and the consensus was he’s an oil/gas company backed hack. But by all means, carry on. 

You can find many other really smart dudes that don't give a fuck about politics talking on the same things. Not that Scott does anything but present facts. 

Ernie Moniz for one. 

• Fuck You 2

41 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

Those and many other problems are best solved by prosperity. Making ourselves much poorer is a shit proposition for helping the downtrodden, social justice, and just about any other social issue you want to propose. 

Well, prosperity can come from decent wages and decent jobs or low prices, or some combination.

We've gone all in on low prices and corporate growth and returns for a couple of decades and I'm not sure it's really worked out that well.

Green energy is more expensive, no question.  But you don't hear a ton of stories about people getting financially killed by their power bills.

As far as I can tell, and we've had a recent pretty vivid example, carbon-based energy isn't exactly turning a lot of profit back into infrastructure.  And it's not like we're paying the cheapest rates under that system.

Green energy is going to require some investment.  If we work it right, that investment can create a bunch of new jobs.  Then we might have to worry a little less about maintaining rock-bottom prices for everything.

• Hook 'Em 1

You can find many other really smart dudes that don't give a fuck about politics talking on the same things. Not that Scott does anything but present facts. 

Ernie Moniz for one. 

The fact Scott Tinker is giving a presentation sponsored by the Texas Public Policy Foundation is a pretty clear indication that he does give a fuck about politics.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Imagine being long on fossil fuels in 2021.

Man, I'm long and I'm going to benefit. I don't need to convince. The price is going up, and it will benefit me greatly. I just rather we get educated on the realities of renewable energy. But, like everything else, its a sacred cow that you can't cross the line on. So fucking stupid. 

• Fuck You 3

Man, I'm long and I'm going to benefit. I don't need to convince. The price is going up, and it will benefit me greatly. I just rather we get educated on the realities of renewable energy. But, like everything else, its a sacred cow that you can't cross the line on. So fucking stupid. 

Good luck. Hope you get the timing right when you decide to sell.

4 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

Of course renewable energy is subsidized. Guess what, so is fossil fuel energy. The government subsidizes energy production because it wants its citizens to have cheap energy. But if you’re arguing against subsidies, I’m all aboard. Cut the farm ones too. That has nothing to do with the fact that renewables will become cheaper than oil/nat within 50 years and overtake them as the main producer of energy. Since it won’t increase our wealth gap because it will be cheaper, that point is moot (side note: would love a thread on wealth gap too). What are we accomplishing by providing our citizens with cheaper cleaner energy? If you’re being serious, I would say cleaner local air, its renewable, so we don’t have to keep spending money to find more of it. More efficient. Less noisy. Less dirty. That’s a few benefits to start 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Of course renewable energy is subsidized. Guess what, so is fossil fuel energy. The government subsidizes energy production because it wants its citizens to have cheap energy. But if you’re arguing against subsidies, I’m all aboard. Cut the farm ones too. That has nothing to do with the fact that renewables will become cheaper than oil/nat within 50 years and overtake them as the main producer of energy. Since it won’t increase our wealth gap because it will be cheaper, that point is moot (side note: would love a thread on wealth gap too). What are we accomplishing by providing our citizens with cheaper cleaner energy? If you’re being serious, I would say cleaner local air, its renewable, so we don’t have to keep spending money to find more of it. More efficient. Less noisy. Less dirty. That’s a few benefits to start 

Not subsidized but ok 

• Fuck You 4

2 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

It sounds like you more just want to feel better about your investments in O&G, a famously stable equity. As someone who works with several large multinational O&G firms, they are all uniformly hurting and recovering from layoffs and budget cuts. No shit there's not much else to do but go up, but that's hardly an endorsement of the long term viability

False 

Weird hill to die on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy_in_China

"China is the world's leading country in electricity production from renewable energy sources, with over double the generation of the second-ranking country, the United States. "

https://www.irena.org/Statistics/View-Data-by-Topic/Capacity-and-Generation/Country-RankingsRankings.png.458bac15caf6254f345c70cc2fca4bb5.png

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Weird hill to die on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy_in_China

"China is the world's leading country in electricity production from renewable energy sources, with over double the generation of the second-ranking country, the United States. "

https://www.irena.org/Statistics/View-Data-by-Topic/Capacity-and-Generation/Country-RankingsRankings.png.458bac15caf6254f345c70cc2fca4bb5.png

Now put their coal generation on that graph. 

• Fuck You 3

Not to mention that no renewable is "green", much less China's. 

They all use less carbon over their lifetime than fossil fuel sources. Again, happy to provide scientific references, not that you are able or willing to read them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Here is our owns governments report explaining the subsidies to fossil fuels 

https://www.treasury.gov/open/Documents/USA FFSR progress report to G20 2014 Final.pdf

They get a deducting that is allowed to all manufacturers. That seem like a subsidy to you? The only other one they get is a depletion allowance, so they don't get unfairly taxed on oil in the ground if prices drop. 

Insane the way you guys speak on something you know nothing about. 

• Fuck You 3

@Ridingtosunset you are incoherently rambling at people and screaming at clouds. This isn't a fucking renewables or energy policy thread. This is you trying to bait people into negging you off the board and it's not working.

I'm all for a discussion on how compromise and communication can be more effective between people who don't share the same opinion of a policy or propose different solutions to the same problem. That's not what is happening here.

1 minute ago, immamac said:

@Ridingtosunset you are incoherently rambling at people and screaming at clouds. This isn't a fucking renewables or energy policy thread. This is you trying to bait people into negging you off the board and it's not working.

I'm all for a discussion on how compromise and communication can be more effective between people who don't share the same opinion of a policy or propose different solutions to the same problem. That's not what is happening here.

I would respectively disagree on the bolded part, except I keep running out of rep.

• immamac changed the title to Ridingtosunsets ride into the sunset Meta thread of genius
4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Yes sir, boss. 

• Fuck You 2

3 hours ago, Ridingtosunset said:

This is a thread to discuss the obvious lack of tolerance we have now for opinions with which we don't agree. I have no delusions this will remain civil, thus the need for the discussion. 

I'm looking for discussion on how we got here, social media? politics? wealth inequality? mental health? How do we fix it and can it be fixed? 

My thoughts are we've been manipulated to this point by a) politicians who benefit from dividing and securing voting blocs b) media that feeds on division and hate c) social media that has desensitized and isolated us from real relationships with others d) our own vanity 

Does your apostrophe key not work?

is a subsidy not a subsidy if others have a subsidy too?

(and lets not forget that the fossil carbon industry relies on using public property as an open sewer without having to pay for it - guess it's not a subsidy to shit in everyone's yard)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ridingtosunset said:

So laying out all the things you think one party did is healthy discussion to you? 

There is no question that Trump/ism, Fox News, and the GOP have gravely damaged this country. You can't begin to address our current level of polarization and intolerance without accounting for their misdeeds. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Cant sleep so revisited this thread...and I see it’s going like all the others, except this time it isn’t multiple pages blaming the media and instead veered off into energy with the proverbial ‘just read this pamphlet it explains everything how the moon men are infiltrating Area 51 navy SEALs to control the price of Tito’s and KFC’ video link sponsored by that Texas Public Policy site with articles blaming, you guessed it, AOC.  

What y’all don’t know is oil is going to be dirt cheap and plentiful in 50 million years because there’s this eccentric billionaire who bought an island and filled it with genius scientists...spared no expense...secretly brought dinosaurs back to life, and as they die they are making new oil as we speak.  So you better be long on O&G.  

You said you could write a book on the subject...well do it here, can’t be worse than that Star Wars/Star Trek fanfic dude way back on TOS.  In fact there were some longcat posts on the Russia thread that were absolutely fantastic on their ambitions with Ukraine, expected strategy and real keen insight into the minds of major players.  There is value and appetite for informative long form posts here...let’s hear it.  

I know right now you’re eating paste and furiously masturbating to Pepe memes, so can wait until morning.  

Edited by Homercles

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have been somewhat skeptical of responses to climate change, particularly efforts at global response that put us at a disadvantage relative to China, while not curbing the environmental disasters that basically are China, India, and a number of other developing countries.

All that said, I've always been pro-environment and pro-conservation, and am down for most domestic environmental efforts and reasonable and well-thought out global/international efforts.  I was originally mildly opposed to the Paris Climate Accord, but I've come to understand that it is probably more symbolic than something that will actually disadvantage us.

Fucking this right here.  China says they'll start looking into cuts once they reach their peak emissions, in another decade or two.  

6 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I’ve read all of the stuff. I’ve worked in the energy business for 15 years. I know what our capacity is now, and I know renewables can’t come close to handling the load like South Austin’s mother can, but that has nothing to do with our discussion. I wasn’t arguing renewables were replacing oil/nat now, but within 50 years, and that the transition has already started, by energy companies, by countries, private equity, because it is a superior product. Your argument was it will be a disaster and it won’t happen. Neither of which have to do with current capacity 

Let's say potentially superior concept shall we, because the current product is not superior (relative term here) because of cost, supply, and reliability. Once a power wall system is reliable, and energy can be stored, and is relatively cost efficient, solar can begin to build in to a great product for the average consumer.  

I've always railed against solar because the concept just wasn't ready for mainstream use because of the issues listed above.  Those issues are now being dealt with as the technology improves.