Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Hamilton on Perkins

Spoiler

The No. 8 ranked prospect in the 2022 class and top Texas target is a possibility to attend the Texas game Saturday if Cy Park's game concludes quick enough. Cy Park plays at noon Saturday, and they run the ball a high % of the time so it will be a quick game.

Should Perkins be able to attend, he could catch a ride with friend Jaiden Robertson (Dekaney). The 2022 speedy CB/WR is a Princeton commit, and is planning to attend the Texas game Saturday.

15 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Hamilton on Perkins

Hide contents

The No. 8 ranked prospect in the 2022 class and top Texas target is a possibility to attend the Texas game Saturday if Cy Park's game concludes quick enough. Cy Park plays at noon Saturday, and they run the ball a high % of the time so it will be a quick game.

Should Perkins be able to attend, he could catch a ride with friend Jaiden Robertson (Dekaney). The 2022 speedy CB/WR is a Princeton commit, and is planning to attend the Texas game Saturday.

Is Princeton the new Stanford?

Five-star LB Harold Perkins visiting Texas this weekend

Steve Wiltfong

("When I talk to Saban he don’t mumble and stumble and make mistakes when he’s talking. I noticed that with Sark too.")

Charlie Strong Texas Gif

Spoiler

Steve Wiltfong

Cypress (Texas) Cy Park five-star linebacker Harold Perkins has a game on Saturday afternoon. Afterwards the 247Sports Composite's No. 1 ranked player at his position will be in Austin for the Longhorns home game against Rice.

Perkins took his official to Texas back in June and has the Longhorns included in his top schools alongside the likes of LSU, Texas A&M, Alabama, Florida and Oregon.

"The atmosphere of the team and the coaching staff," Perkins uncle Alvin Walton said of what stands out about the Longhorns.

The 6-foot-2 1/2, 210-pound Perkins really enjoyed his official over the summer.

“It was fun,” Perkins said at the time. “Just hanging out with the guys and the scheme they got, I love the scheme they got for me. It’s what I want to do. It’s crazy because I never told them how I want to be used and they told me how they want to use me so that told me I can do this. I’m going to be like a nickel guy, they were telling me it’s basically their Star position and he makes all the calls on the defense, and all the calls come from him depending on how they come out and the receivers and the splits. They were telling me they don’t have any guys that are all in one package.”

What Steve Sarkisian and his staff meant by that is they don’t have a player in the second level that can cover in space, while also being able crash down against the run or be a pass rusher with the athleticism to get home and make a play.

Perkins certainly checks all those boxes.

“I fell in love with the scheme,” Perkins said. He believes in Sarkisian and the staff too.

“I mess with Sark,” Perkins said. “I think he hung around (Nick) Saban a lot. When I talk to Saban he don’t mumble and stumble and make mistakes when he’s talking. I noticed that with Sark too. They’re very careful in their words. They don’t second guess themselves. They’re just professional. I think that’s really good. Sark I also like his energy. I told him in college I want to be free. I don’t want to be handcuffed, I just want to go out and do what I do. At the end of the day I’m wild, I just want to have fun and play. He told me he’ll let me do that. He told me remember that one play at Bama where Devonta Smith and Jerry Jeudy were doing paper rock scissors to see who would get the ball next. He told me Saban didn’t like that because he thought they were making fun of the other team but they were having fun. I seen that and remember that.

“The defensive staff they love me, I felt the love. I felt it was real. I can tell the difference between real and fake. My mom raised me that way. My mom felt it was real and she told me she loved it.”

Perkins was going to visit Texas A&M on Saturday but with his own game moved those logistics didn't line up. Later this month he'll take an official to Florida the weekend of Sept. 24 and he said he also wants  to take an official to Oregon.

Following his senior season Perkins will play in the Under Armour All-American Bowl.

• Hook 'Em 4

(Eric Nahlin) Humidor: Important game for evaluation; Thompson’s 1st start; key Saturday visitors

TEAM

The story of this game is it’s expected to be used for evaluation purposes ahead of the start of conference play. While you won’t see many changes to the starting lineup, you will see a large percentage of the roster hit the field. All snaps matter, even if the game is well out of hand. The coaches didn’t want to make a lot of changes this week because “one game doesn’t define them.” That’s a little inconsistent with the quarterback change, however, read the first sentence above. When asked how the team reacted to the quarterback change, IT received an audible shoulder shrug. “Players need to worry about doing their own job. The mindset is no different than if a player is injured and someone else comes in.”

* Coaching: To a man, the coaches were filled with much more piss and vinegar than normal. There was a noticeable uptick in intensity, even from the normally reserved Steve Sarkisian and Pete Kwiatkowski.

* OL: Jones-Okafor-Majors-Angilau-Kerstetter: We’re fully expecting the starting group from last week to remain unchanged. We’ll definitely see Andrej Karic at left or right tackle and should also see freshman Hayden Conner. Both received snaps on the left side of the o-line this week. Both are expected to rotate in throughout the game. We might see Isaiah Hookfin relatively early as well. The most positive thing IT heard this week was Jones and Kerstetter playing with more aggression. Many in the program were pissed about the o-line not retaliating when Card was hit late. Maybe that got through to them. Communication allegedly improved this week but who knows. They did do a better job of picking up blitzes. At least one of the things Rice can do is test o-line communication.

* The QB Room: From the no duh department, Casey Thompson is excited for his first start. We’re not sure when Hudson Card will enter the game, but he'll definitely play. Sources say Sark is doing what he thinks is best for the team right now, especially if the offensive line doesn't hold up better. As for how they practiced, they practiced how they’ve been practicing.

* Wide receivers Kelvontay Dixon and Marcus Washington had some run with the 1s this week. Both practiced well.

* As we said, the hope is it will be an ‘empty the bench’ type of game. With that in mind, a number of guys rotated with the ones at some point. E.g., Dele Adeoye and Devin Richardson got reps at linebacker.

* We should see more young players receive snaps. Names mentioned specifically were: OL Hayden Conner, TE Juan Davis, CB Jamier Johnson, EDGE Barryn Sorrell, LB Terrance Cooks II, and EDGE Derrick Harris.

* We’ll see a lot of base defense this weekend, so that means an extra linebacker and no nickel. We still might see Anthony Cook at safety. This will likely be a good game to see Tyler Owens behind BJ Foster.

* On offense, it sounds like the scheme is mostly unchanged but there are things already in place they can lean into more heavily with Thompson getting the start. We do believe they’ll run wide more than we saw in Fayetteville. There may be a new gap scheme or two in place as well.

* Injuries: Cornerback Jahdae Barron and wide receiver Troy Omeire will miss Saturday's game. Kitan Crawford will see snaps in Barron's place. Omeire has been practicing lately, and we believe he could play in a pinch, but no reason to rush him. Omeire is still building back confidence in his knee. A lot of players have aches and pains that could possibly be exacerbated by playing but that’s football.

* Returning: Jared Wiley. He practiced some this week and is still expected to be limited. This isn’t really the week to test his shoulder/pec.

* Source also said he's not sure what Texas will find out about itself vs Rice. It should be an ‘identity game’. How do they bounce back after a tough loss. This is an easy game to come out flat and play down to the competition — they obviously don’t want that. They need a solid, decisive win centered around clean play.

RECRUITING

Texas is hosting a handful of priority targets this weekend. Here are a few names we are expecting, but don't be surprised if we add to the list before Saturday night.

OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX) - 2022: After seeing OU last weekend, the Texas staff was determined to get the 6-foot-3, 310-pounder back on campus. The On300 No. 18 overall in 2022's class, Campbell and UT maintain a strong relationship and getting him back in Austin is key. This is also an unofficial trip, with Campbell using his UT official later this season.

OL Connor Robertson, Westlake (Austin, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022: The hometown product continues to recruit for UT behind the scenes. Bringing new teammate and Texas target TJ Shanahan (2023, OL) is likely as well, after TJ visited for the Louisiana contest.

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman (Spearman, TX) - 2022: The big priority will take his official visit this weekend. Gerry has you covered.

LB Harold Perkins, Cy-Park (Cypress, TX) - 2022: The On3 five-star will make his way to Austin* for an unofficial visit. Everything right now is jockeying for position ahead of a wild stretch run. - POSSIBLE CATEGORY -

LB Anthony Hill Jr, Ryan (Denton, TX) - 2023: The elite defensive prospect will be in town with teammate Austin Jordan.

LB Anquan Willis, Rider (Wichita Falls, TX) - 2023: The 6-foot-1, 208-pound outside linebacker/running back is making the trip on Saturday. He's offer-less at the moment, but that should change as the season progresses. Willis is a @HudsonStandish special.

LB Isaiah Edwards, Madison (San Antonio, TX) - 2022: Solid prospect worthy of the staff getting to know better. Best offers currently are Louisiana (they evaluate well) and UTSA.

DB BJ Allen, Aledo (Aledo, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022: The Allen brothers won't miss many games this year. But first they face Burleson's Dylan Raiola, possibly the top in-state quarterback for the 2024 class.

DB Austin Jordan, Ryan (Denton, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022: It's good when Jordan comes to Austin. It's even better when he brings 2023 On3 No. 61 overall Anthony Hill Jr. with him.

DB Jaden Allen, Aledo (Aledo, TX) - 2024: See above.

DB Cortez Hunter, Paetow (Katy, TX) - 2022: For more on Hunter, read here.

Five-star tight end

There is some chatter around the IMG Academy (Fla.) program that Texas could win out for 5-star tight end prospect Jaleel Skinner (Greer, S.C./IMG). The 6-foot-5, 210-pounder is a developmental prospect at tight end, but has elite measurables and athletic ability. Florida State has been considered the other school in the top two along with Texas. IT doesn’t want to underestimate the strong connection on the Seminoles staff for Skinner, but the season is headed in the wrong direction and the family has taken notice. Clemson is also strongly in the mix with a commitment date scheduled for October 9.

Hoops:

Texas has a key visitor in town this weekend in Jordan Walsh (Link Year Prep via Dallas). The Longhorns enter the weekend feeling pretty good about the recruitment of the On3 No. 22 player in the country. The visit to Kansas next weekend will be of note, even though the Jayhawks already have a big wing committed. Penny Hardaway calling got the attention of the family. Arkansas head coach Eric Musselman’s ability to sell NBA offense and development is something to watch.

Texas’ top target, 5-star CG Cason Wallace, will be at Tennessee this weekend. Kentucky continues to have confidence in this recruitment, and is building an absolute monster class that could have Wallace as the final piece. The Texas staff is doing everything they can to win this battle. Wallace’s mom likes the idea of Texas following the official visit the first weekend of September. Wallace’s recruitment is expected to play out until November 7.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

Steve Wiltfong

("When I talk to Saban he don’t mumble and stumble and make mistakes when he’s talking. I noticed that with Sark too.")

Charlie Strong Texas Gif

Reveal hidden contents

Steve Wiltfong

Cypress (Texas) Cy Park five-star linebacker Harold Perkins has a game on Saturday afternoon. Afterwards the 247Sports Composite's No. 1 ranked player at his position will be in Austin for the Longhorns home game against Rice.

Perkins took his official to Texas back in June and has the Longhorns included in his top schools alongside the likes of LSU, Texas A&M, Alabama, Florida and Oregon.

"The atmosphere of the team and the coaching staff," Perkins uncle Alvin Walton said of what stands out about the Longhorns.

The 6-foot-2 1/2, 210-pound Perkins really enjoyed his official over the summer.

“It was fun,” Perkins said at the time. “Just hanging out with the guys and the scheme they got, I love the scheme they got for me. It’s what I want to do. It’s crazy because I never told them how I want to be used and they told me how they want to use me so that told me I can do this. I’m going to be like a nickel guy, they were telling me it’s basically their Star position and he makes all the calls on the defense, and all the calls come from him depending on how they come out and the receivers and the splits. They were telling me they don’t have any guys that are all in one package.”

What Steve Sarkisian and his staff meant by that is they don’t have a player in the second level that can cover in space, while also being able crash down against the run or be a pass rusher with the athleticism to get home and make a play.

“I fell in love with the scheme,” Perkins said. He believes in Sarkisian and the staff too.

“I mess with Sark,” Perkins said. “I think he hung around (Nick) Saban a lot. When I talk to Saban he don’t mumble and stumble and make mistakes when he’s talking. I noticed that with Sark too. They’re very careful in their words. They don’t second guess themselves. They’re just professional. I think that’s really good. Sark I also like his energy. I told him in college I want to be free. I don’t want to be handcuffed, I just want to go out and do what I do. At the end of the day I’m wild, I just want to have fun and play. He told me he’ll let me do that. He told me remember that one play at Bama where Devonta Smith and Jerry Jeudy were doing paper rock scissors to see who would get the ball next. He told me Saban didn’t like that because he thought they were making fun of the other team but they were having fun. I seen that and remember that.

“The defensive staff they love me, I felt the love. I felt it was real. I can tell the difference between real and fake. My mom raised me that way. My mom felt it was real and she told me she loved it.”

Perkins was going to visit Texas A&M on Saturday but with his own game moved those logistics didn't line up. Later this month he'll take an official to Florida the weekend of Sept. 24 and he said he also wants  to take an official to Oregon.

Following his senior season Perkins will play in the Under Armour All-American Bowl.

Who's going to have some haribo gummy bears waiting for him?  Maybe a giant one?

worlds-largest-gummy-bear-1400-2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Was in Midland for the week on work assignment, and decided to go check out Some west Texas football and to my surprise Midland Lee was playing Arl. Bowie. 

Idk about y’all but Campbell has to be the #1 player on this board. I knew who he was before I looked at the roster or numbers. Dude is massive and mean and can move. Something we don’t have on the O-Line as of now. 
idk if everyone had the same idea as me but let’s just say burnt Orange was represented well at the game. 😉

Edited by D3zii
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 9/17/2021 at 11:14 AM, Getafix said:

Steve Wiltfong

Reveal hidden contents

Steve Wiltfong

Holy shit, that sounds like a direct shot a Jimbo. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting