Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

37 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Yeah, I hate losing, but what I hated  even more was the lack of effort. They were ready to play, and we were absolutely flat. I’ll have to (gulp) rewatch some of the shitshow to verify, but off the top of my head, the only 3 guys that seemed ready to play were Bijan, Roschon, and Casey. Have some pride fellas. You only get so many cracks at this and it’s gone.

I thought Josh Thompson looked decent early on

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

We're in game 2 of a new coach's term. Obviously we're not as good out of the gate as we hoped, but we're going to win 3 straight and be 4-1 going into the OU game.

People say that every time just before we take a double digit beating by OU. Depends how much improvement we see week to week. Being 4-1 means little except we might have an inflated ranking. 

Are there OL and defense recruits left that will play pissed off and lay a hit on someone?

1 hour ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Yeah, I hate losing, but what I hated  even more was the lack of effort. They were ready to play, and we were absolutely flat. I’ll have to (gulp) rewatch some of the shitshow to verify, but off the top of my head, the only 3 guys that seemed ready to play were Bijan, Roschon, and Casey. Have some pride fellas. You only get so many cracks at this and it’s gone.

I didn't see a lack of effort, not before the outcome was already assured anyway. The defense was hitting hard in the first half.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RichUT said:

OL’s don’t get fixed in a year. And before you go on about the portal, good to great OL don’t end up in the portal very often. You might get a one year bandaid via a grad transfer, but there is no magic wand that turns dog shit OL play around in 12 months.

The staff better have rock solid evals, or this cycle will just continue.

Flood can improve this bunch but your point is well taken. I think if there's anything that can be achieved under Sark is we can fix things in the trenches for the next guy. There's only one way to do it, we shall see. 

1 minute ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

I'm talking in the last 10 years. History shows Texas hasn't developed talent.

We have very good assistants that I trust can develop these kids. I know its a tough sell, but in order to get this thing fixed our alums are going to have to divorce recruiting from on the field results. If Sark starts to death spiral, we cant throw our hands up and say fuck this. We gotta double down and try to cultivate a self sustaining system of NIL support. 

I'm already getting a bunch of texts and emails with guys furious with Sark. It's insane. One fucking game. Expectations are way out of whack. Changing staffs rarely comes with immediate championship results. We gotta have people willing to invest with long time horizons. 5, 10, 30 years. If we consistently apply our advantages, it will get fixed over time. 

And coaches know this stuff. If we bail on our new coach too quickly, what are future candidates going to think? If we do our damndest to stock the cupboard and build for the future despite what happens on the field, what are future candidates going to think? Thats how to get out of this hole. Blind persistence. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

I'm not panicking. O-line is who I thought they were. It's gotta get fixed for next year. Arkansas will always be a tough game for us. 

Obv this fucks with our recruiting, but it isnt gonna get handed to us. Train isnt off the rails yet.  

I imagine that a big part of what we were selling on the offensive side was “look what we did at Bama”. Getting dominated last night essentially kills that. It’s Sark and Flood’s show now at Texas and our offense looked anything but exciting, dynamic, or physical. 

12 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

We have very good assistants that I trust can develop these kids. I know its a tough sell, but in order to get this thing fixed our alums are going to have to divorce recruiting from on the field results. If Sark starts to death spiral, we cant throw our hands up and say fuck this. We gotta double down and try to cultivate a self sustaining system of NIL support. 

I'm already getting a bunch of texts and emails with guys furious with Sark. It's insane. One fucking game. Expectations are way out of whack. Changing staffs rarely comes with immediate championship results. We gotta have people willing to invest with long time horizons. 5, 10, 30 years. If we consistently apply our advantages, it will get fixed over time. 

And coaches know this stuff. If we bail on our new coach too quickly, what are future candidates going to think? If we do our damndest to stock the cupboard and build for the future despite what happens on the field, what are future candidates going to think? Thats how to get out of this hole. Blind persistence. 

This. UT already has a perception of being too impatient and we need to give these coaches time. Turnarounds don't happen overnight and last night was largely result of the garbage OL Sark inherited alongside a Fr QB who was overwhelmed. 

Serious question because I wasn't able to watch much of the game - how much of this nightmare was execution vs Xs and Os (scheme/playcalling)? Sounds like mostly execution (OL, drops, 20 missed tackles according to Rod Babers) from what I've read which still falls partly on coaches but idk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, as long as we can stabilize this thing, I actually don't think there will be a ton of decommits. Tapp is probably gone, maybe Winfield bails, but most of our guys seem pretty locked in.

We're probably out for most of our top remaining targets though unless we rattle off a series of wins, which fortunately we have time to do. Hopefully Campbell wants early playing time. I think we still have a chance at Skinner (FSU lost to Jacksonville St yesterday), Brenen (Aggy offense looked worse than ours, WRs had 0 receptions through 3 quarters yesterday), and LTG (because ASU). 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Random recruiting thought - why does Texas always wind up with the busts or jaggers from Lake Travis? Can we not score one of their guys that can actually or something?

We suck at mental evaluations of recruits?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

13 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

This. UT already has a perception of being too impatient and we need to give these coaches time. Turnarounds don't happen overnight and last night was largely result of the garbage OL Sark inherited alongside a Fr QB who was overwhelmed. 

Serious question because I wasn't able to watch much of the game - how much of this nightmare was execution vs Xs and Os (scheme/playcalling)? Sounds like mostly execution (OL, drops, 20 missed tackles according to Rod Babers) from what I've read which still falls partly on coaches but idk. 

When the O line gets dominated like that it can be hard to tell. Sark was way too late in going to Thompson and getting him out of the pocket and to our playmakers in space. The O couldnt give our defense a breather so eventually it just breaks down and everything goes out the window. Sark was part of the problem for sure, he just didnt call a very good game. It is what it is, we got hit hard in the mouth and everyone froze. It happens to new teams. 

• Hook 'Em 7

53 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

We have very good assistants that I trust can develop these kids.

The jury is still out on Flood. There are certainly plenty of reasons to be skeptical of him. His insistence on Jones and Okafor in particular. They got the lion's share of development and coaching over others in Fall camp. It is highly debatable whether they will eventually pan out with more. It really does seem he's determined to make his preferred prototype body types outweigh subpar motor coordination these two have exhibited for years. Okafor is a good road grader but discombobulates on pass rushes. Karic's ceiling may not be too high but probably a better floor than Jones. And I wonder if Hayden wouldn't be better to start over Okafor even if maybe some initial growing pains.

• Hook 'Em 5

29 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

When the O line gets dominated like that it can be hard to tell. Sark was way too late in going to Thompson and getting him out of the pocket and to our playmakers in space. The O couldnt give our defense a breather so eventually it just breaks down and everything goes out the window. Sark was part of the problem for sure, he just didnt call a very good game. It is what it is, we got hit hard in the mouth and everyone froze. It happens to new teams. 

Makes sense. It definitely seems like Sark just isn't able to run his offense because of the OL. Run game is big for him and OL is killing that which puts us behind the sticks and negates play action. Can't call any long-developing pass routes bc of pass pro. So then you're limited to a small subset of plays and very little deception.

If Babers is right about 20 missed tackles that led to 166 yards, that's the biggest culprit on Defense. Plus the offense leaving them on the field all game like you said.

Edited by Tex-19
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sark is having to fix a decade of poor coaching and mediocre recruiting in the lines. This season will be a work in progress for Texas. The coaches weren't dropping passes, missing blocks, or stepping up into sacks or being hesitant to throw the ball. Maybe Sark will work maybe he won't, but he has less talent comparatively than Mack Brown had in 1998 and Mack got blown out by 97-38 by UCLA and K state. Texas has to rebuild 1st....

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Makes sense. It definitely seems like Sark just isn't able to run his offense because of the OL. Run game is big for him and OL is killing that which puts us behind the sticks and negates play action. Can't call any long-developing pass routes bc of pass pro. So then you're limited to a small subset of plays and very little deception.

If Babers is right about 20 missed tackles that led to 166 yards, that's the biggest culprit on Defense. Plus the offense leaving them on the field all game like you said.

The oline wasn't dominant by any means...but there were plays to be had last night.  Hudson was too indecisive on pulling the trigger and even when he did, his receivers dropped the balls.

Defensively I don't know how many missed tackles there were, but it seemed the majority came when the defense started getting tired which tends to happen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Stewart saw everything he needed to last night so he isnt coming.   I'd like to think literally any linemen in the country would want to come here knowing they can start right away, because ours is pure recycled shit, but then again why would you come here?  i'm thinking 2-3 decommits by Dec easily, maybe we grab some low 3's to back fill 

Stewart saw Whittington drop easy passes and thought he could make that play

• Hook 'Em 2

College football has evolved and Texas has not adapted.  We are Nebraska, Tennessee, Miami, Michigan.  Look at all of the top teams.  Clemson, Bama, LSU, tOSU, UGA, Oregon, aggy, ou, UF.  Outside of ou, every one of those teams has a bag system in place.  If we’re not getting the best recruits, we will not compete for championships.  Our administration can’t even get NiL right. If we’re not dropping 50-100k to buy the best recruits out there, we’re not winning jack shit.  Because those other schools care and their administration not only turns a blind eye to it, they help facilitate it.  

We’re about to enter a conference with rampant cheating while our fan base and AD holds their fucking head high.  It is what it is.  I’ve come to terms that we may not win another championship.  I’m just happy I got to witness 1.  I kind of wish we would have hired Hugh Freeze if we’re going to actually try to win in the SEC.  That guy knows how to cheat and can build an offense.  

13 minutes ago, victory88 said:

If we’re not getting the best recruits, we will not compete for championships.

please. we get good recruits. something about our university, our culture, or the city of austin makes us fucking soft fruity pussies (hat tip to @Cajun). we get beat by teams with lesser recruiting classes every year. you’re worried about the wrong shit. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

40 minutes ago, victory88 said:

College football has evolved and Texas has not adapted.  We are Nebraska, Tennessee, Miami, Michigan.  Look at all of the top teams.  Clemson, Bama, LSU, tOSU, UGA, Oregon, aggy, ou, UF.  Outside of ou, every one of those teams has a bag system in place.  If we’re not getting the best recruits, we will not compete for championships.  Our administration can’t even get NiL right. If we’re not dropping 50-100k to buy the best recruits out there, we’re not winning jack shit.  Because those other schools care and their administration not only turns a blind eye to it, they help facilitate it.  

We’re about to enter a conference with rampant cheating while our fan base and AD holds their fucking head high.  It is what it is.  I’ve come to terms that we may not win another championship.  I’m just happy I got to witness 1.  I kind of wish we would have hired Hugh Freeze if we’re going to actually try to win in the SEC.  That guy knows how to cheat and can build an offense.  

Vandy of the SEC west has a nice ring. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Xian said:

Recruiting is not the fucking reason we aren’t beating teams like arky and Tcu.  Even without this bag system in place we own them talent wise.    

it coaching.  

But recruiting is what you have to have to compete for playoff. Look at the teams constantly in it then look at their recruiting rankings over the years. They correlate.  

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

But recruiting is what you have to have to compete for playoff. Look at the teams constantly in it then look at their recruiting rankings over the years. They correlate.  

Y'all are both right. Our recruits are more than good enough to be a top 10 team. Our coaching hasn't been (still too early to judge this staff)

To be a national champion, recruiting will have to get better too. But to get elite classes, we're gonna have to win more games first.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

Sark is having to fix a decade of poor coaching and mediocre recruiting in the lines. This season will be a work in progress for Texas. The coaches weren't dropping passes, missing blocks, or stepping up into sacks or being hesitant to throw the ball. Maybe Sark will work maybe he won't, but he has less talent comparatively than Mack Brown had in 1998 and Mack got blown out by 97-38 by UCLA and K state. Texas has to rebuild 1st....

This is what I have been saying.  We were 1-2 and everyone questioned if Mack was the right guy.  He was.  It took 3 years for him to get rolling

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Maybe we should worry about beating sub .500 teams before we concern our selves with beating Bama

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe Sark will work maybe he won't, but he has less talent comparatively than Mack Brown had in 1998 and Mack got blown out by 97-38 by UCLA and K state. Texas has to rebuild 1st....

This is not true. Now, he has more competition against better talent than Mack had to go against. Our team has more talent than 1998. Bijan is a pretty good offset for Ricky. Roschon and Robinson make this roster better.

But system integration does take time. Plus guys at new positions on the Oline. Kerstetter is back from injury plus trading positions. Jones relative inexperience and flipping sides. And all recruited by a different staff for a different system. We may not have all Americans, but they’re talented enough that they put up over 110 points in the final two games last year. We’re more talented at WR and TE than last year.

13 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Arkys nose used Majors like a ragdoll. Had him by 40 pounds and got off his blocks at will. Is that coaching?  Id never heard of this guy before. And i follow recruiting. 

Arky NG was a grad transfer from a small school (Northern Illinois??) and we actually offered him back in the spring.

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Hugh Freeeze went 39-25 while cheating his ass off, you're fucking insane

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

This is not true. Now, he has more competition against better talent than Mack had to go against. Our team has more talent than 1998. Bijan is a pretty good offset for Ricky. Roschon and Robinson make this roster better.

But system integration does take time. Plus guys at new positions on the Oline. Kerstetter is back from injury plus trading positions. Jones relative inexperience and flipping sides. And all recruited by a different staff for a different system. We may not have all Americans, but they’re talented enough that they put up over 110 points in the final two games last year. We’re more talented at WR and TE than last year.

How?  That team had 2 all Americans at defensive tackles, Quentin Jammer at CB, a 1000 yard receiver, a 2000 yard RB, a 3000 yd QB, an offensive line that mauled Nebraska, a very reliable kicker......The wheels fell off the year before but it had talent that had been developed and properly coached.

We have Herman's island of Misfit toys...

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Lmao TCU can and probably will easily replicate the exact beating Arkansas just layed on Texas.

I was at the TCU game yesterday.  Cal’s dogshit offense put 32 on them and it should’ve been over 40 if their coaches could rub 2 brain cells together.  Their secondary outside of LT Jr sucks and they barely put pressure on Cal’s QB.  Their D is not very good.

Evans is a fuckbeast but take your “TCU is going to kick our ass” bullshit somewhere else

• Hook 'Em 2

I was at the TCU game yesterday.  Cal’s dogshit offense put 32 on them and it should’ve been over 40 if their coaches could rub 2 brain cells together.  Their secondary outside of LT Jr sucks and they barely put pressure on Cal’s QB.  Their D is not very good.
Evans is a fuckbeast but take your “TCU is going to kick our ass” bullshit somewhere else

TCU could be a 3 win team and one of their wins would be against us most years. Especially on the road.

It’ll be interesting how Sark adjusts to the coverage that we’re going to see multiple times this year

How?  That team had 2 all Americans at defensive tackles, Quentin Jammer at CB, a 1000 yard receiver, a 2000 yard RB, a 3000 yd QB, an offensive line that mauled Nebraska, a very reliable kicker......The wheels fell off the year before but it had talent that had been developed and properly coached.

We have Herman's island of Misfit toys...

Mack had more returning production sure. And I forget about some of those younger guys like Jammer. But our QB depth chart in 98 was pretty limited compared to now. Yes, we had Ricky but I already mentioned our current RBs. That Oline wasn’t loaded with NFL guys, but they were solid players. Our WRs included a convert and a small walk on. LB talent limited. Our TEs were simply blockers.

No matter what happened last night players on this Texas roster have made plays and showed flasshes.

98 had some high end talent for sure, but there were holes in the roster as well.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting