2021 Texas HS football

Machinator

Laredo United South beats SA Harlan 28-21. East Central beats Reagan 14-7. New Braunfels beats SA Johnson 51-45. Jack Lugo & PSJA North are obliterating Harlingen South 49-20. Lugo with 300+ yards rushing and 6 TDs and a few sacks on defense. 

Boerne Champion beats Mercedes 36-29. Shout out to Mercedes for erasing 3 different 14 point defecits. Fighting spirit. 

They’re dancing cumbia wepa in the streets of Eagle Pass tonight. They beat SA Marshall in Overtime 54-51. Has to be the biggest win in school history.

• Hook 'Em 4

6AD1

McKinney Boyd @ Lewisville  Teams are a combined 17-3, with Boyd's only losses to Allen and Guyer.

Farmers 27-17

Spring @ The Woodlands  Another 17-3 pairing with losses to Katy, Westfield, and Bridgeland

Spring 52-35

Desoto @ Harker Heights  Desoto out in the first round?  Could happen.

Desoto's demise was greatly exaggerated.  45-28 Eagles.

Bowie @ Round Rock

Bowie 13-3.  Pretty surprising.

6AD2

Prosper @ Marcus  Two sleepers in a fairly barren 6AD2R1 bracket.  Wouldn't be surprised to see the winner of this meet Guyer in a couple of weeks for the region title.

Prosper 28-21

Dawson @ Clear Falls

35-31 Dawson

Helobious SPESHUL!!1!  PSJA North @ Harlingen South  

56-26 North, but at least South can brag about that Bird Bowl trophy.

And here comes the dogshit:

5AD1

Magnolia @ Longview  Two 7-3 teams that have really underachieved.

Lobos 45-24

Cedar Park @ Buda Johnson  CP is only 5-5, so everyone had better get their licks in this season while they can.

I went to this.  CP is really down this year.  They still look well-coached, but they are just almost completely devoid of talent/playmakers.  CP won on a fumble in 2OT 42-36.

5AD2

Region 1 is the shittiest bracket I have ever seen.  Cooper-Rider are almost guaranteed to meet in the final for at least the 4th straight season.

Royse City @ Frisco

They'll always be the Coons to me 48-28

Denison @ Ennis

Ennis 47-25

4AD1

Canyon-Springtown in Childress

Someone mentioned this upthread -- Porcupines 49-13.  Wow.

Kilgore-Hargrave in Crockett

Kilgore 37-20

4AD2

Salado-Rusk in Desoto

Rusk 49-42  Anxiously awaiting our eyewitness report on this one!

Helobious SPESHUL #2!  SA YMLA @ Cuero

62-7 Gobblers

Smithville-Navarro, no idea why they're playing in Taylor

Navarro rallied to win 45-35

3AD1

Pilot Point-Early in Saginaw

Early 43-21

Brock-Wall in Clyde  Wall is really down this year, so this is on the list mainly because of name recognition

40-6 Brock

Hallettsville-Yoe in Brenham   See Wall comment and sub in "Yoe"

Brahmas rallied from 10 down to win 42-38.

Coldspring-Anahuac in Porter

Anahuac (why are they not the Gators?) 30-6

3AD2

Abernathy-Friona in Muleshoe

Abernathy 33-14

Canadian-Idalou in Canyon  Canadian has not had a 3-loss regular season since 2011 and haven't lost in the first round since before 2004.  That could happen here.

Canadian trailed the whole game, won in OT 27-24.

East Bernard-Lexington in Cuero

EB 31-23

2AD1

Nothing but mismatches

2AD2

Wellington-Vega in Canyon  Wellington had a down year and is ripe for a rare first-round loss.  Vega might be favored in this.

I hope you didn't bet on Vega.  38-7 Skyrockets.

Santo-Petrolia in Graham  Two good teams in tough districts -- combined 3 losses to Muenster, Windthorst, and Albany

Santo 31-0

Other fun scores, with a shitload of shockers:

EP Eastwood 31 Abilene 25  Really, Abilene?  And this was at Shotwell?

Cedar Hill 10 Bryan 5

Bridgeland 34 Klein Collins 33  Is Weigmann back?

Dumas 45 Decatur 24  Nice season Decatur.  Dumbasses.

Pleasanton 28 Lampassas 27  Ace Whitehead is but a memory.

Pottsboro 56 Tatum 55 is quite an upset.

Lubbock Roosevelt 44 Spearman 11  Is Brenan Thompson still playing?

Shadow Creek 45 Clear Creek 38

Schulenberg 29 2AD1 #8 Mason 15

Eagle Pass 54 SA Marshall 51  Gotdam, Rams, WTF?

Tyler Legacy (nee Lee) 41 Garland 40  Holy shit.

New Braunfels 51 SA Johnson 45  Helobious's teams going down harder than the Yankees.

East Central 14 Reagan 7  This seems... unnatural.

Barbers Hill 42 FB Marshall 21 WTF is going on here?

Marble Falls 27 Brenham 21 

Georgetown intercepted a last-second pass from the 10 in the end zone to upset Dripping 63-56.  4-game district sweep in that matchup.

Port Isabel 23 Previously undefeated but perpetually shitty Carrizo Springs 8

Sealy 21 Silsbee 19

Little River-Academy 28 Yoakum 22

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

6AD1

McKinney Boyd @ Lewisville  Teams are a combined 17-3, with Boyd's only losses to Allen and Guyer.

Farmers 27-17

Spring @ The Woodlands  Another 17-3 pairing with losses to Katy, Westfield, and Bridgeland

Spring 52-35

Desoto @ Harker Heights  Desoto out in the first round?  Could happen.

Desoto's demise was greatly exaggerated.  45-28 Eagles.

Bowie @ Round Rock

Bowie 13-3.  Pretty surprising.

6AD2

Prosper @ Marcus  Two sleepers in a fairly barren 6AD2R1 bracket.  Wouldn't be surprised to see the winner of this meet Guyer in a couple of weeks for the region title.

Prosper 28-21

Dawson @ Clear Falls

35-31 Dawson

Helobious SPESHUL!!1!  PSJA North @ Harlingen South  

56-26 North, but at least South can brag about that Bird Bowl trophy.

And here comes the dogshit:

5AD1

Magnolia @ Longview  Two 7-3 teams that have really underachieved.

Lobos 45-24

Cedar Park @ Buda Johnson  CP is only 5-5, so everyone had better get their licks in this season while they can.

I went to this.  CP is really down this year.  They still look well-coached, but they are just almost completely devoid of talent/playmakers.  CP won on a fumble in 2OT 42-36.

5AD2

Region 1 is the shittiest bracket I have ever seen.  Cooper-Rider are almost guaranteed to meet in the final for at least the 4th straight season.

Royse City @ Frisco

They'll always be the Coons to me 48-28

Denison @ Ennis

Ennis 47-25

4AD1

Canyon-Springtown in Childress

Someone mentioned this upthread -- Porcupines 49-13.  Wow.

Kilgore-Hargrave in Crockett

Kilgore 37-20

4AD2

Salado-Rusk in Desoto

Rusk 49-42  Anxiously awaiting our eyewitness report on this one!

Helobious SPESHUL #2!  SA YMLA @ Cuero

62-7 Gobblers

Smithville-Navarro, no idea why they're playing in Taylor

Navarro rallied to win 45-35

3AD1

Pilot Point-Early in Saginaw

Early 43-21

Brock-Wall in Clyde  Wall is really down this year, so this is on the list mainly because of name recognition

40-6 Brock

Hallettsville-Yoe in Brenham   See Wall comment and sub in "Yoe"

Brahmas rallied from 10 down to win 42-38.

Coldspring-Anahuac in Porter

Anahuac (why are they not the Gators?) 30-6

3AD2

Abernathy-Friona in Muleshoe

Abernathy 33-14

Canadian-Idalou in Canyon  Canadian has not had a 3-loss regular season since 2011 and haven't lost in the first round since before 2004.  That could happen here.

Canadian trailed the whole game, won in OT 27-24.

East Bernard-Lexington in Cuero

EB 31-23

2AD1

Nothing but mismatches

2AD2

Wellington-Vega in Canyon  Wellington had a down year and is ripe for a rare first-round loss.  Vega might be favored in this.

I hope you didn't bet on Vega.  38-7 Skyrockets.

Santo-Petrolia in Graham  Two good teams in tough districts -- combined 3 losses to Muenster, Windthorst, and Albany

Santo 31-0

Other fun scores, with a shitload of shockers:

EP Eastwood 31 Abilene 25  Really, Abilene?  And this was at Shotwell?

Cedar Hill 10 Bryan 5

Bridgeland 34 Klein Collins 33  Is Weigmann back?

Dumas 45 Decatur 24  Nice season Decatur.  Dumbasses.

Pleasanton 28 Lampassas 27  Ace Whitehead is but a memory.

Pottsboro 56 Tatum 55 is quite an upset.

Lubbock Roosevelt 44 Spearman 11  Is Brenan Thompson still playing?

Shadow Creek 45 Clear Creek 38

Schulenberg 29 2AD1 #8 Mason 15

Eagle Pass 54 SA Marshall 51  Gotdam, Rams, WTF?

Tyler Legacy (nee Lee) 41 Garland 40  Holy shit.

New Braunfels 51 SA Johnson 45  Helobious's teams going down harder than the Yankees.

East Central 14 Reagan 7  This seems... unnatural.

Barbers Hill 42 FB Marshall 21 WTF is going on here?

Marble Falls 27 Brenham 21 

Georgetown intercepted a last-second pass from the 10 in the end zone to upset Dripping 63-56.  4-game district sweep in that matchup.

Port Isabel 23 Previously undefeated but perpetually shitty Carrizo Springs 8

Sealy 21 Silsbee 19

Little River-Academy 28 Yoakum 22

I think every team I said to watch out for in the playoffs lost in round 1. Amazing. 

My cards have some work to do, but man a round 3 matchup with LT seems within reach. 
That would be, um, interesting to watch. Still they’d need a W tomorrow and to beat United S for the 2nd time this year next week. Never easy.

I thought PSJA North’s sophomore stud QB was out for the year, but he sure was playing tonight. He missed basically the whole season. Interested to see how they do against  the early 2000s Texas Tech red raiders. I mean Eagle Pass.

• Hook 'Em 1

Great game for Rusk!  Nephew scored two TDS and a two pt conversation and had 8 catches for 100+ yards.  He should have had another TD but got tackled on the one.  Whole team played well because Salado wasn’t a good matchup (on paper) because they run the option and Rusk’s rush defense is not very good.  Owen McCown (Josh McCown’s kid) had a great game.  Threw for 5 TDs and ran for another. 

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Laredo United South beats SA Harlan 28-21. East Central beats Reagan 14-7. New Braunfels beats SA Johnson 51-45. Jack Lugo & PSJA North are obliterating Harlingen South 49-20. Lugo with 300+ yards rushing and 6 TDs and a few sacks on defense. 

Boerne Champion beats Mercedes 36-29. Shout out to Mercedes for erasing 3 different 14 point defecits. Fighting spirit. 

They’re dancing cumbia wepa in the streets of Eagle Pass tonight. They beat SA Marshall in Overtime 54-51. Has to be the biggest win in school history.

Shite. Marshall is my HS. Was hoping they could hold on and play our Chaps. If only they still had Priest Holmes. 

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I think every team I said to watch out for in the playoffs lost in round 1. Amazing. 

My cards have some work to do, but man a round 3 matchup with LT seems within reach. 
That would be, um, interesting to watch. Still they’d need a W tomorrow and to beat United S for the 2nd time this year next week. Never easy.

I thought PSJA North’s sophomore stud QB was out for the year, but he sure was playing tonight. He missed basically the whole season. Interested to see how they do against  the early 2000s Texas Tech red raiders. I mean Eagle Pass.

Guess your prediction about Round Rock winning state didn’t work out so well. Bowie knocked them off. 

Our Chaps had a nullsome, desultory performance. We beat a marginal Hutto team 54-9, but looked lethargic, uninspired, and dreary. The contest was marred by a horrific neck injury to a Hutto lineman. Some dumbass Westlake family illegally parked their car where the ambulance couldn’t get on the field so the poor player had to lay for a good 45 minutes waiting for help. It sucked the life out of the game and I will do an update on his condition. I hope he is okay. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Guess your prediction about Round Rock winning state didn’t work out so well. Bowie knocked them off. 

I didn’t pick them to win state, just the region. But looking back on the post I guess I wasn’t clear. I had heard Bowie’s starting QB was out for the year so you would’ve thought they had no chance. Goes to show.

Also, turns out Eagle Pass played Marshall in September and lost by 1 point. Upset win not as shocking as I thought. I know literally nothing about EP, they’re usually a doormat for RGV & Laredo teams in the playoffs. Never paid them much attention but seems like they’re different this time.

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I didn’t pick them to win state, just the region. But looking back on the post I guess I wasn’t clear. I had heard Bowie’s starting QB was out for the year so you would’ve thought they had no chance. Goes to show.

Also, turns out Eagle Pass played Marshall in September and lost by 1 point. Upset win not as shocking as I thought. I know literally nothing about EP, they’re usually a doormat for RGV & Laredo teams in the playoffs. Never paid them much attention but seems like they’re different this time.

They do have a nice stadium. I’ve seen it.

GD Garland Charlie Strong'd the end of their game.  After I posted above, the defense made a stand.  Offense got the ball back with a minute and a half.  Converted a badass 4th and 8.  Got all the way down to the 11 with about 35 seconds left.  Then, the dumbass coach f'd everything up.  Keep in mind, Garland is about 50% this year on extra points.  A few pages back, I posted that, at one point a couple of games ago, they converted 2 XPs in 12 attempts w/ one run back for a 2-pointer by the defense meaning... Garland lined up for 12 XPs and ended up tying 2-2 with the opposition in converting them for points.  Just to give you an idea as to how bad they are at it, one of the extra points attempts tonight - literally - hit the back foot of an offensive lineman whose foot was planted firmly on the ground.  Yes, the XP went all of 1 foot off of the ground.

Anyway.  First and 10 on the 11.

Incomplete pass.  Hudson gets hurt on the play, so they had like 5 GD minutes to plan the next set of plays.  Instead, they decide to bumblefuck the game away by,

- Running up the middle for 4 yards.

- Rushing to the line to spike the ball with 23 seconds left.  Two issues with this.

1. As mentioned, the team can't even convert extra points, so you're going to waste a play to set up for a FG?  Throw it in the end zone.  Clock will stop either way.

2. If they converted, Garland also has the WORST kickoff return unit in DFW.  The had already given up a KO return for a TD earlier in the game.  If you're setting up for the field goal, let the GD clock wind down to 3 seconds before spiking it.

- Getting a FUCKING delay of game.

- Fumbling the snap and losing the game.

Apologies.  Rant over.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

I think I posted about this in August, but Klein ISD stadium is an embarrassment to your district.  Not enough people at the gates, 5 people in the concession stand for A 6A PLAYOFF GAME!! Speakers so weak and far away they literally can't be heard, tiny little video board so freaking far away because you're probably the only suburban multi-school district with any $$ that still plays in a stadium with a fucking track around it. We were 2-0 there this year but very glad to never ever go back to that piece of shit again 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

It’s a newer school thing. Older schools, with the tax base for bonds and room for it, have followed suit.

House Park in Austin has no track.  Hondo's stadium doesn't have a track.  Those are the only two old stadiums that I know of in the area.

Edited by Beau Vine

Harlingen beats Edinburg 21-0. Our star RB has missed the last few weeks due to suspension but he played on a couple drives today. Offense really sputters without him but maybe he’ll play more going forward. 

I saw an Edinburg receiver make a “wtf” arm shrug towards a ref after a no-call when he was getting interefered with. Bobcat coach pulled the player off the field and he didn’t play the rest of the drive. Notable lack of jawing from their coaches all game too. They’re still taking the fallout from last year pretty serious I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/12/2021 at 11:55 PM, TreatyOak said:

Our Chaps had a nullsome, desultory performance. We beat a marginal Hutto team 54-9, but looked lethargic, uninspired, and dreary. The contest was marred by a horrific neck injury to a Hutto lineman. Some dumbass Westlake family illegally parked their car where the ambulance couldn’t get on the field so the poor player had to lay for a good 45 minutes waiting for help. It sucked the life out of the game and I will do an update on his condition. I hope he is okay. 

GOOD NEWS FROM WESTLAKE NATION:

We’re thrilled to report that Hutto’s left tackle, Rodrigo Gaona, went to the hospital for precautionary measures.

“[Rodrigo] stayed overnight and was released today!” - Brad LaPlante (Hutto's head coach)

Thank you for all of your thoughts, prayers and positive vibes for Rodrigo, his family and his teammates. 
  • Hook 'Em 7

I was off on my nephew’s numbers. He had 2TDs, 9 catches for 140 yards.  Here’s one of his TDs. Easily gets past press and fakes the safety for an easy catch.  They’ve been trying to jam him all year but he’s too quick. His only drawbacks are size and top end speed but he has no problems getting open.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

I was off on my nephew’s numbers. He had 2TDs, 9 catches for 140 yards.  Here’s one of his TDs. Easily gets past press and fakes the safety for an easy catch.  They’ve been trying to jam him all year but he’s too quick. His only drawbacks are size and top end speed but he has no problems getting open.  

Not bad at all. Is he getting any D2/D3 college interest? 

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Not bad at all. Is he getting any D2/D3 college interest? 

No offers yet.  The super seniors in college and transfer portal seems to have really affected high school recruiting.  I think coaches are waiting to the last minute to make some high school offers.  He’s taken two recruiting trips this fall to UTSA and SFA.   

Best games of the week?  Let's try picking one from each region in each bracket:

6AD1:

1.  Lewisville (10-1) vs Arlington Martin (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Irving  I don't think either of these teams has much of a chance to win the region, but it should be a fun game.

2.  Rockwall (9-2) vs DeSoto (9-2), 3:15 p.m. Saturday at Arlington  Might be 100+ points in this game.

3.  Humble Atascocita (9-2) vs Dickinson (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Galena Park  Ton of college talent in this game.

4.  Austin Bowie (9-2) vs Smithson Valley (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at San Marcos  Choosing this one because I'm going.

6AD2:

1.  Denton Guyer (10-1) vs Dallas Jesuit (10-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Frisco  Big test for Jesuit, whose only loss is to Rockwall.  These are probably the two best teams in the region.  

2.  Rockwall-Heath (10-1) vs Temple (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Burleson  Heath has scored 591 points.

3.  Houston King (9-2) vs Alvin Shadow Creek (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Iowa Colony  Winner probably gets Katy next week.

4.  Austin Vandegrift (10-1) vs Cibolo Steele (11-0), 7 p.m. Friday at Schertz  Sorry, Helobious, I nearly picked Taft-Vela.

5AD1

1.  Colleyville Heritage (10-1) vs Amarillo (9-2), 2 p.m. Saturday at Wichita Falls  This region is hot garbage.

2.  College Station (11-0) vs Frisco Lone Star (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Tyler  Also have Ryan-MagWest 

3.  Pflugerville Weiss (10-1) vs Manvel (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Bryan  Manvel will probably out-athlete them, but Weiss has won 10 in a row, most of them easily.  

4.  McAllen Memorial (10-1) vs San Antonio Lanier (9-2), 3 p.m. Saturday  Wimberley or Cuero could win this bracket.

5AD2

1.  All 4 games will be blowouts.  Not even going to pick one, because I don't want to bother looking up the score.

2.  Aledo (11-0) vs Frisco Liberty (10-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Denton  Liberty knocked off Lovejoy a couple of weeks ago when LJ was ranked higher than Aledo.

3.  Texarkana Texas High (10-0) vs Texas City (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Lufkin I have no idea how good the Stingarees are, but the dudes from the northeast are badass.

4.  Liberty Hill (9-2) vs Boerne Champion (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at San Antonio  If it's like any other year, BC's chances of winning will come down to whether the officiating crew is willing to flag the LH offense when they're not set for a full second. 

4AD1

1.  Dumas (8-2) vs Fort Stockton (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Lubbock  I think Dumas wins this region.

2.  Kennedale (10-1) vs Argyle (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Fort Worth  Kennedale has played a weak schedule and I expect Argyle to win this game and region pretty easily.

3.  El Campo (10-1) vs Lindale (7-4), 7 p.m. Thursday at Waco  Lindale has gotten it going recently and might give a test to the team I expect to win the region.

4.  Boerne (8-2) vs Corpus Christi Miller (8-3), 7 p.m. Friday at San Antonio  Boerne always seems to underachieve relative to their talent, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get in a shootout here and lose.

4AD2

1.  Sweetwater (8-3) vs Aubrey (10-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Stephenville  Aubrey has put up excellent records two years in a row, but Sweetwater has played a much tougher schedule.

2.  Glen Rose (10-1) vs Texarkana Pleasant Grove (6-5), 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Frisco  Lots of people getting payback on PG this season, but I don't know if GR is good enough to take them.

3.  Bellville (11-0) vs Rusk (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Waco  Bellville is really good, and I think their running game grinds up the Eagles in spite of the McCown kid and stork's nephew.  I hope I'm wrong.

4.  Cuero (10-1) vs Rockport-Fulton (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Victoria  R-F runs that old-school offense that they might need to slow down the Gobblers.

3AD1

1.  Shallowater (9-2) vs Early (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Clyde  It seems like either Early or Brownwood can be good, but not both at the same time.  Odd...

2.  Gladewater (8-2) vs Grandview (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Royse City  This seems like one of the best regions in the state, every year.

3.  Columbus (9-2) vs Anahuac (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Houston  Columbus probably wins this easily, but Anahuac won a game last week that I didn't expect.

4.  London (10-0) vs Lago Vista (7-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Somerset  Probably 4 blowouts in this region, but let's see if CCL can back up that record.

3AD2

1.  Stanton (5-6) vs Brady (7-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Wall  The other 3 games will be walkovers.  Stanton pulled the upset of the week last week and I suspect they'll handle Brady to even their record. 

2.  Holliday (11-0) vs Leonard (8-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Krum  I'll be honest, I'm pretty amused by a football playoff game at Krum.

3.  Daingerfield (9-2) vs Elysian Fields (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Tatum  Most even matchup in a region with several state contenders.

4.  Poth (9-1) vs East Bernard (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Bastrop  Poth always seems good but can never get over the hump.  EB always just Wing-Ts people to death.

2AD1

1.  New Deal (10-1) vs Forsan (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Colorado City  Best game out west this week, all levels.

2.  Cooper (11-0) vs Tolar (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Denton  Tolar's losses are to 3A Dublin and juggernaut Crawford.

3.  Beckville (11-0) vs Hearne (8-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Murphy  I would not be surprised if Hearne wins this.

4.  La Villa (9-2) vs Ganado (6-5), 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Corpus  Ganado has played a much tougher schedule, so they're probably favored, but either will be cannon fodder for Refugio next week.  And here's your RGV team, Helo.

2AD2

1.  McCamey (9-1) vs Wellington (7-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Littlefield  Badgers and Skyrockets, nowhar but Texas!

2.  Roscoe (9-1) vs Santo (10-1), 7 p.m. Thursday at Cisco  Roscoe lost season opener to Hawley and have plowed everyone else (seewhatIdidthere?).  Santo had one of the most impressive wins in the state last week.

3.  Tenaha (9-2) vs Chilton (9-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Trinity  Tenaha is always good; Chilton is in Mart's district.

4.  D’Hanis (9-1) vs Eldorado (9-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Del Rio  I really know nothing about 2AD2, but am picking this one because of the KK Steakhouse in D'Hanis and because I once had a cute tennis player from Eldorado in my class who clearly had the hots for me.

OK, not doing this again.  Jebus.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 9

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Best games of the week?  Let's try picking one from each region in each bracket:

6AD1:

1.  Lewisville (10-1) vs Arlington Martin (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Irving  I don't think either of these teams has much of a chance to win the region, but it should be a fun game.

2.  Rockwall (9-2) vs DeSoto (9-2), 3:15 p.m. Saturday at Arlington  Might be 100+ points in this game.

3.  Humble Atascocita (9-2) vs Dickinson (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Galena Park  Ton of college talent in this game.

4.  Austin Bowie (9-2) vs Smithson Valley (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at San Marcos  Choosing this one because I'm going.

6AD2:

1.  Denton Guyer (10-1) vs Dallas Jesuit (10-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Frisco  Big test for Jesuit, whose only loss is to Rockwall.  These are probably the two best teams in the region.  

2.  Rockwall-Heath (10-1) vs Temple (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Burleson  Heath has scored 591 points.

3.  Houston King (9-2) vs Alvin Shadow Creek (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Iowa Colony  Winner probably gets Katy next week.

4.  Austin Vandegrift (10-1) vs Cibolo Steele (11-0), 7 p.m. Friday at Schertz  Sorry, Helobious, I nearly picked Taft-Vela.

5AD1

1.  Colleyville Heritage (10-1) vs Amarillo (9-2), 2 p.m. Saturday at Wichita Falls  This region is hot garbage.

2.  College Station (11-0) vs Frisco Lone Star (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Tyler  Also have Ryan-MagWest 

3.  Pflugerville Weiss (10-1) vs Manvel (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Bryan  Manvel will probably out-athlete them, but Weiss has won 10 in a row, most of them easily.  

4.  McAllen Memorial (10-1) vs San Antonio Lanier (9-2), 3 p.m. Saturday  Wimberley or Cuero could win this bracket.

5AD2

1.  All 4 games will be blowouts.  Not even going to pick one, because I don't want to bother looking up the score.

2.  Aledo (11-0) vs Frisco Liberty (10-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Denton  Liberty knocked off Lovejoy a couple of weeks ago when LJ was ranked higher than Aledo.

3.  Texarkana Texas High (10-0) vs Texas City (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Lufkin I have no idea how good the Stingarees are, but the dudes from the northeast are badass.

4.  Liberty Hill (9-2) vs Boerne Champion (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at San Antonio  If it's like any other year, BC's chances of winning will come down to whether the officiating crew is willing to flag the LH offense when they're not set for a full second. 

4AD1

1.  Dumas (8-2) vs Fort Stockton (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Lubbock  I think Dumas wins this region.

2.  Kennedale (10-1) vs Argyle (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Fort Worth  Kennedale has played a weak schedule and I expect Argyle to win this game and region pretty easily.

3.  El Campo (10-1) vs Lindale (7-4), 7 p.m. Thursday at Waco  Lindale has gotten it going recently and might give a test to the team I expect to win the region.

4.  Boerne (8-2) vs Corpus Christi Miller (8-3), 7 p.m. Friday at San Antonio  Boerne always seems to underachieve relative to their talent, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get in a shootout here and lose.

4AD2

1.  Sweetwater (8-3) vs Aubrey (10-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Stephenville  Aubrey has put up excellent records two years in a row, but Sweetwater has played a much tougher schedule.

2.  Glen Rose (10-1) vs Texarkana Pleasant Grove (6-5), 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Frisco  Lots of people getting payback on PG this season, but I don't know if GR is good enough to take them.

3.  Bellville (11-0) vs Rusk (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Waco  Bellville is really good, and I think their running game grinds up the Eagles in spite of the McCown kid and stork's nephew.  I hope I'm wrong.

4.  Cuero (10-1) vs Rockport-Fulton (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Victoria  R-F runs that old-school offense that they might need to slow down the Gobblers.

3AD1

1.  Shallowater (9-2) vs Early (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Clyde  It seems like either Early or Brownwood can be good, but not both at the same time.  Odd...

2.  Gladewater (8-2) vs Grandview (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Royse City  This seems like one of the best regions in the state, every year.

3.  Columbus (9-2) vs Anahuac (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Houston  Columbus probably wins this easily, but Anahuac won a game last week that I didn't expect.

4.  London (10-0) vs Lago Vista (7-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Somerset  Probably 4 blowouts in this region, but let's see if CCL can back up that record.

3AD2

1.  Stanton (5-6) vs Brady (7-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Wall  The other 3 games will be walkovers.  Stanton pulled the upset of the week last week and I suspect they'll handle Brady to even their record. 

2.  Holliday (11-0) vs Leonard (8-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Krum  I'll be honest, I'm pretty amused by a football playoff game at Krum.

3.  Daingerfield (9-2) vs Elysian Fields (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Tatum  Most even matchup in a region with several state contenders.

4.  Poth (9-1) vs East Bernard (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Bastrop  Poth always seems good but can never get over the hump.  EB always just Wing-Ts people to death.

2AD1

1.  New Deal (10-1) vs Forsan (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Colorado City  Best game out west this week, all levels.

2.  Cooper (11-0) vs Tolar (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Denton  Tolar's losses are to 3A Dublin and juggernaut Crawford.

3.  Beckville (11-0) vs Hearne (8-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Murphy  I would not be surprised if Hearne wins this.

4.  La Villa (9-2) vs Ganado (6-5), 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Corpus  Ganado has played a much tougher schedule, so they're probably favored, but either will be cannon fodder for Refugio next week.  And here's your RGV team, Helo.

2AD2

1.  McCamey (9-1) vs Wellington (7-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Littlefield  Badgers and Skyrockets, nowhar but Texas!

2.  Roscoe (9-1) vs Santo (10-1), 7 p.m. Thursday at Cisco  Roscoe lost season opener to Hawley and have plowed everyone else (seewhatIdidthere?).  Santo had one of the most impressive wins in the state last week.

3.  Tenaha (9-2) vs Chilton (9-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Trinity  Tenaha is always good; Chilton is in Mart's district.

4.  D’Hanis (9-1) vs Eldorado (9-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Del Rio  I really know nothing about 2AD2, but am picking this one because of the KK Steakhouse in D'Hanis and because I once had a cute tennis player from Eldorado in my class who clearly had the hots for me.

In 4A DI, I think PLC vs LBJ has a chance to be close game and possible upset in favor of PLC.  Canyon Lake runs more of a Slot T offense and they came within a score of knocking off LBJ earlier in the season.   PLC runs the Triple Option which takes more discipline on defense to slow down.   LBJ is going to score their points, but will they have enough on D to make a few stops for the difference. Because if they don’t, if PLC has the ball last they will win.  

I will be in the thriving metropolis known as the Jourdanton/Pleasanton area to see Calallen take on the Battlin’ Billie Goats from Fredericksburg.   

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I will be in the thriving metropolis known as the Jourdanton/Pleasanton area to see Calallen take on the Battlin’ Billie Goats from Fredericksburg.

I can't believe they're playing there -- shitty little stadium in a shitty little town.  They couldn't book something in San Antonio?  Hell, Mathis has a better stadium.

15 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

6AD1:

6AD2:

5AD1

5AD2

4AD1

4AD2

3AD1

3AD2

2AD1

2AD2

Thanks so much for doing these. I've learned so much about HS football from your posts. 

bella-thorne-instagram-picture-0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

All that Eagle Ford money was put to good use....

I have not been there since they built that, but it still looks small for a game between two teams with 5A enrollment.  Of course, Fred will only bring about 30 people.  

Edit: Texasbob has its capacity at 2821.  Lulz.

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I have not been there since they built that, but it still looks small for a game between two teams with 5A enrollment.  Of course, Fred will only bring about 30 people.  

WF Rider and EP Andress are playing in Denver City.   wow.

Capacity 4141, which is very likely 50% too much in this case.  It is still a weird choice for 5ADII teams to play.

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

We get the home side and the chairbacks!   It is a nice little stadium as we played a non district there last year.   Our softball girls used the facility twice last year next door to it  and it's first class.    

• Hook 'Em 1