2021 Texas HS football

Machinator

El Campo's D finally woke up and they beat Lindale 56-42.  Owens had 300+ yards rushing.  

The Ricebirds seem to be mirroring Lindale's run to Jerryworld last year, with an unstoppable running game and a mediocre defense.

Some good stuff from the small schools:

Little River Academy pulled another upset, knocking off East Chambers 42-33 in 3AD1.  They get Hallettsville-Diboll winner next in their deepest run since before 2004.

The Fighting Slorches of Abernathy held off Ballinger 45-28.  

New Deal outlasted Forsan 28-24 in 2AD1.  

Ganado pounded RGV darling La Villa 60-23 in 2AD2.

Windthorst survived a big rally from Archer City to win 42-40.  They'll get a very good Santo team next week, which easily handled Roscoe 33-12.  

Snyder beating Graham 14-3 was…not expected. In fact I don’t recall them doing anything since the days of mighty mouse Dee Walker.

If Springtown can avoid the turnover bug they should handle Andrews tonight in Sweetwater, which should set them up for a rematch with the toads of Lake Worth.

The second round is too soon for Claude Mathis to get in the way of his team’s success, he usually waits a round or two later to go full potato. So I’m picking Desoto over Rockwall by 10.

Aledo/Frisco Liberty could be interesting. I thought Lovejoy could give Aledo a serious challenge until FL took them down. Frisco and LJ are the only teams to hold them under 41pts.

FL jr. QB comes on like a wrecking ball. Even with top ranked WR Evan Stewart opting out after 3 games he averages over 296 ypg throwing and over 433 total ypg. I have seen him listed at 5’11”. 203lbs. but he looked like 5’10” 220lbs when I saw him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Greg Tepper is the fucking worst.  Like, worse than Rick Renner even.

The worst is for the finals when they fawn all over Ken Purcell, saying he has 11 or 12 rings or whatever...but they fail to explain that almost all of them are from when he was Denton ISD AD. Ryan and Guyer won some football titles and there some won in other sports which he didn't really have shit to do with.  I think he was an assistant at Plano or something when they won it one time. 

• Like 1

I haven't ridden a schoolbus in a longass time, or even the type shown in the pic.  Even if it has seatbelts, that's one hell of a sudden change in velocity.

We neevr wore any kind of seatbelts on game trips( mid/late 80's)

Season ends for my cards, Laredo United South wins 24-7. I’ll give some credit to coach Gomez, he stuck to his suspension guns and our star RB (who scored 3 TDs vs LUS in the 1st game of the year) sure didn’t play tonight. Hopefully the kid learns something and stays on the team, he’s just a junior. 

I saw highland park lost to Frisco wakeland 29-28. Don’t know much about either team but that’s gotta be the biggest upset of the playoffs going back several years. 

What the fuck happened to calallen. Lost to Fredericksburg 14-10.

• Hook 'Em 2

Lewisville (Denzel Okafor and Armani Winfield’s HS) pulls away from Arlington Martin in the second half and will play in the regional round for the first time in a very long time.

Been keeping an eye on my alma mater this year and it’s pretty crazy to see them at 11-1 when I think back to where the program was when I played there. The run is likely over next week with Southlake Carroll being the presumptive opponent, but it’s been fun to keep an eye on from afar.

• Hook 'Em 2

Best games of the week?  Let's try picking one from each region in each bracket:

6AD1:

1.  Lewisville (10-1) vs Arlington Martin (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Irving  I don't think either of these teams has much of a chance to win the region, but it should be a fun game.

Martin disappoints again.  Freaking Farmers!  35-18.

2.  Rockwall (9-2) vs DeSoto (9-2), 3:15 p.m. Saturday at Arlington  Might be 100+ points in this game.

3.  Humble Atascocita (9-2) vs Dickinson (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Galena Park  Ton of college talent in this game.

Atascocita got a FG with 3 sec left to win 22-21.

4.  Austin Bowie (9-2) vs Smithson Valley (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at San Marcos  Choosing this one because I'm going.

Bowie got a 4th-and-2 stop with 2 minutes left to hold a 28-21 lead.  SV was very unimpressive.  

6AD2:

1.  Denton Guyer (10-1) vs Dallas Jesuit (10-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Frisco  Big test for Jesuit, whose only loss is to Rockwall.  These are probably the two best teams in the region.  

Jesuit fails big test badly, 56-7.

2.  Rockwall-Heath (10-1) vs Temple (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Burleson  Heath has scored 591 points.

Temple kicked FGs, Heath scored TDs.  Heath wins 45-33.

3.  Houston King (9-2) vs Alvin Shadow Creek (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Iowa Colony  Winner probably gets Katy next week.

King is for real!  52-34.

4.  Austin Vandegrift (10-1) vs Cibolo Steele (11-0), 7 p.m. Friday at Schertz  Sorry, Helobious, I nearly picked Taft-Vela.

Maybe the most impressive score of the night -- Vipers 38-0.

5AD1

1.  Colleyville Heritage (10-1) vs Amarillo (9-2), 2 p.m. Saturday at Wichita Falls  This region is hot garbage.

2.  College Station (11-0) vs Frisco Lone Star (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Tyler  Also have Ryan-MagWest 

CS announced their presence with authority, 55-21.  Wow.

3.  Pflugerville Weiss (10-1) vs Manvel (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Bryan  Manvel will probably out-athlete them, but Weiss has won 10 in a row, most of them easily.  

Weiss blew a lead and lost 41-31.

4.  McAllen Memorial (10-1) vs San Antonio Lanier (9-2), 3 p.m. Saturday  Wimberley or Cuero could win this bracket.

5AD2

1.  All 4 games will be blowouts.  Not even going to pick one, because I don't want to bother looking up the score.

2.  Aledo (11-0) vs Frisco Liberty (10-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Denton  Liberty knocked off Lovejoy a couple of weeks ago when LJ was ranked higher than Aledo.

Aledo 57-14.  Got dam!

3.  Texarkana Texas High (10-0) vs Texas City (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Lufkin I have no idea how good the Stingarees are, but the dudes from the northeast are badass.

Texark 31-0.  Is this right?  Someone must have been fucking with the score app earlier...

4.  Liberty Hill (9-2) vs Boerne Champion (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at San Antonio  If it's like any other year, BC's chances of winning will come down to whether the officiating crew is willing to flag the LH offense when they're not set for a full second. 

LH in a walkover 51-14.

4AD1

1.  Dumas (8-2) vs Fort Stockton (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Lubbock  I think Dumas wins this region.

Demons 31-6.

2.  Kennedale (10-1) vs Argyle (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Fort Worth  Kennedale has played a weak schedule and I expect Argyle to win this game and region pretty easily.

Eagles 27-3.

3.  El Campo (10-1) vs Lindale (7-4), 7 p.m. Thursday at Waco  Lindale has gotten it going recently and might give a test to the team I expect to win the region.

Ricebirds 56-42.

4.  Boerne (8-2) vs Corpus Christi Miller (8-3), 7 p.m. Friday at San Antonio  Boerne always seems to underachieve relative to their talent, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get in a shootout here and lose.

Boerne made it look easy -- 63-14.

4AD2

1.  Sweetwater (8-3) vs Aubrey (10-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Stephenville  Aubrey has put up excellent records two years in a row, but Sweetwater has played a much tougher schedule.

The Chaps may be for real.  42-7.  Wow.

2.  Glen Rose (10-1) vs Texarkana Pleasant Grove (6-5), 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Frisco  Lots of people getting payback on PG this season, but I don't know if GR is good enough to take them.

3.  Bellville (11-0) vs Rusk (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Waco  Bellville is really good, and I think their running game grinds up the Eagles in spite of the McCown kid and stork's nephew.  I hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately, I wasn't wrong -- Brahmas 41-20.  

4.  Cuero (10-1) vs Rockport-Fulton (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Victoria  R-F runs that old-school offense that they might need to slow down the Gobblers.

Cuero 55-27, which sets up a showdown with Wimberley (won 66-0) next week.

3AD1

1.  Shallowater (9-2) vs Early (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Clyde  It seems like either Early or Brownwood can be good, but not both at the same time.  Odd...

Shallowater 42-14.

2.  Gladewater (8-2) vs Grandview (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Royse City  This seems like one of the best regions in the state, every year.

The Zebras go down hard for the first time in years, 49-21.

3.  Columbus (9-2) vs Anahuac (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Houston  Columbus probably wins this easily, but Anahuac won a game last week that I didn't expect.

Anuhuac gave them a good game, but Cardinals close, 42-34.

4.  London (10-0) vs Lago Vista (7-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Somerset  Probably 4 blowouts in this region, but let's see if CCL can back up that record.

CC London was a fake, lost 34-0.

3AD2

1.  Stanton (5-6) vs Brady (7-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Wall  The other 3 games will be walkovers.  Stanton pulled the upset of the week last week and I suspect they'll handle Brady to even their record. 

Brady probably didn't expect to be in round 3, but they are, 21-13.

2.  Holliday (11-0) vs Leonard (8-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Krum  I'll be honest, I'm pretty amused by a football playoff game at Krum.

Holiday remains unbeaten 35-28.

3.  Daingerfield (9-2) vs Elysian Fields (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Tatum  Most even matchup in a region with several state contenders.

56-14 Dangerfield

4.  Poth (9-1) vs East Bernard (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Bastrop  Poth always seems good but can never get over the hump.  EB always just Wing-Ts people to death.

Shocker -- 41-14 Poth

2AD1

1.  New Deal (10-1) vs Forsan (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Colorado City  Best game out west this week, all levels.

New Deal 28-24

2.  Cooper (11-0) vs Tolar (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Denton  Tolar's losses are to 3A Dublin and juggernaut Crawford.

Tolar's no longer undefeated 35-24.

3.  Beckville (11-0) vs Hearne (8-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Murphy  I would not be surprised if Hearne wins this.

Hearn did not win.  50-31 Beckville

4.  La Villa (9-2) vs Ganado (6-5), 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Corpus  Ganado has played a much tougher schedule, so they're probably favored, but either will be cannon fodder for Refugio next week.  And here's your RGV team, Helo.

Ganado 60-23.

2AD2

1.  McCamey (9-1) vs Wellington (7-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Littlefield  Badgers and Skyrockets, nowhar but Texas!

Skyrockets in flight!  36-14.

2.  Roscoe (9-1) vs Santo (10-1), 7 p.m. Thursday at Cisco  Roscoe lost season opener to Hawley and have plowed everyone else (seewhatIdidthere?).  Santo had one of the most impressive wins in the state last week.

Santo is fucking good, 33-12.

3.  Tenaha (9-2) vs Chilton (9-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Trinity  Tenaha is always good; Chilton is in Mart's district.

Chilton 17-10.

4.  D’Hanis (9-1) vs Eldorado (9-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Del Rio  I really know nothing about 2AD2, but am picking this one because of the KK Steakhouse in D'Hanis and because I once had a cute tennis player from Eldorado in my class who clearly had the hots for me.

Cute tennis player 27, KK Steakhouse 14

Others of note:

Spring 56 Klein Cain 53

Tompkins 42 previously undefeated Jersey Village 14

Wakeland with a huge upset over Highland Park 29-28.

Midlothian with a smaller upset over Lubbock Coronado 21-17

Timberview really punked Ennis 42-21.  Wow.

LBJ 72 PL Calhoun 42

Fred 14 Calallen 10  WTF Nueces RR?

Melissa 50 Midlothian Heritage 41

China Spring 48 Sealy 7

WOS 20 Jasper 7

San Diego 35 Llano 27

Diboll 14 Hallettsville 0 

Those two scores kind of blow up the bottom half of the 3AD1 bracket.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 3

Westlake Chaps outlasted a tough New Braunfels team in a nail-biter. TD in the last minute gives Chaps the win 70-7. 

I always wonder how teams that get smoked will react. New Braunfels fell into the Euliss/LT camp of, “we’re losing big, so let’s play dirty and see if we can hurt anyone,” category. Euliss was a in class by themselves in that regard. 

I have mixed feelings about blowouts. Backup Westlake QB and RB opened the third quarter. You can’t just ask them to play shitty, as this is their opportunity.  

• Haha 1

@TreatyOak and the other Westlake fucktards get the PSJA North Raiders next week. In my Helobious poll before the year I called them a program on the rise, and here they are /humblebrag. They like to run the ball, and then run it some more once they get tired of it. Very very young team though.

On offense watch out for RB Isaac Gonzalez, FB/LB Jack Lugo, soph RB Jason Montez, freshman WR Devante Espinoza, soph WR Andre Matamoros, and soph QB Ale Aparicio. That QB has some Manziel in him, but he’s been playing in the playoffs on one leg. He missed the last 8 games of the season with an injury, not sure how healthy he really is. Almost all those kids I listed play on Team ZAP 7on7, showed out big time at statewide tourneys this past summer. So this game will be an ass beating but it’ll help them grow in the long run I think.

Don’t know much about their defense, but one of their safeties goes by Cookie Ramirez. That’s worth 7 points at least. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My kids Ridge Point Panthers cruised into the 3rd round with a early dominating effort from its defense getting up 35-0 with 5:30 left in the 2nd quarter before cruising to a 41-20 win over Cy-Fair. Cy-Fair had all the wheels fall of early with 4 consecutive turnovers including a QB sneak on 3rd-1 that QB fumbled and RP picked up and returned for 50yd TD. O-Line was able to open some big holes and RBs took advantage. QB BJ Emmanuel did his thing again and has now accounted for 43 TDs (rushing/passing) with no interceptions on the season.

Next up my kid get to line up against Atascocita's bowling ball at 6'4" 420lbs (Refrigerator Perry clocked in at 6'2" 335lbs... man kids have gotten bigger as that doesn't seem large anymore).  Atascocita should have lost to Dickenson but kept their composure and just willed themselves to a win. Dickenson played really well but just couldn't hold on. Ridge Point also beat Dickinson by 6pts early in the year in a non-district match-up needing similar plays. Dickenson is a well coached team with athletes all over.

Ridge Point upset Atascocita last year and will be the underdog again this year.  Looking forward to a great post Thanksgiving day football game under the lights at TDECU.

Also looking forward to the Katy / King matchup.  I thought Katy looked like they weren't the same team early in the year, but they have turned it up a couple notches lately. Should be good matchup.

• Hook 'Em 4

40 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Should’ve played in nacogdoches @ Sfa

Nac is in Texas High's District, although the varsity games were at Texas High this season.  Could have been a factor, or not.  PNG might have thought the confines of Homer Bryce were all too familiar for the Tigers.

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I hate that place with a passion, but I'll be there for game 1 Friday.

I've been to a Spurs game and a military drill meet at Alamo Dome.

It seems tiny AF for football, and it seemed impossible that it would hold 70k people... not that you'd need that capacity for HS games.  The weather shows a Hoth-like low of 52 degrees this coming Friday.   I hope folks know how good they have it out of the elements.

Edited by slorch

9 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Westlake Chaps outlasted a tough New Braunfels team in a nail-biter. TD in the last minute gives Chaps the win 70-7. 

I always wonder how teams that get smoked will react. New Braunfels fell into the Euliss/LT camp of, “we’re losing big, so let’s play dirty and see if we can hurt anyone,” category. Euliss was a in class by themselves in that regard. 

I have mixed feelings about blowouts. Backup Westlake QB and RB opened the third quarter. You can’t just ask them to play shitty, as this is their opportunity.  

Do you have any info on the Connor Robertson injury  ?

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, torre said:

Do you have any info on the Connor Robertson injury  ?

Nope. He walked off the field, which is good, but I have no idea. He got rolled from behind, which kind of sucks. New Braunfels played dirty when things got ugly. And @Helobious, I heart you, but the Valley teams have a reputation with us that they often lose their cool when things get out-of-hand and let their game degenerate into "personal foul fests." Still, I've never seen anything like what happened in the Euliss Trinity game. When Trinity started losing, they resorted to a ton of personal fouls, and then Westlake started retaliating and adding their own personal foul calls. As the game ended, the teams started to approach each other for a brawl until the coaches broke it up. 

To address the elephant in the room, teams seem to never learn about Westlake. Each year in the playoffs, teams from Houston and Dallas who don't see us up-close, see a bunch of white boys and think they will out-physical, out-speed Westlake. North Shore certainly thought they would just line up and use their physicality (and they were good, running for around 260 yards, but it wasn't enough.) And while Westlake didn't have anyone on their team as big and fast as their RB/WR Shadrach Banks, the OVERALL speed & strength at Westlake is very good. Better to try to out-scheme Westlake, which is what South Lake did and it worked pretty well, as they scored 35 points. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, I want to give a shout-out to Austin area teams that advanced. The level of play here keeps improving. 

Westlake beats New Braunfels
Cedar Park beat Angleton 
Liberty Hill (love their offense) won
Lake Travis beat SA East Central
Bowie beat Smithson Valley
Vandergrift knocked out Steele
Lago Vista beat Corpus Christi
LBJ beat Port Lavaca
Rouse beat Floreville
Wimberly won

4 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Nope. He walked off the field, which is good, but I have no idea. He got rolled from behind, which kind of sucks. New Braunfels played dirty when things got ugly. And @Helobious, I heart you, but the Valley teams have a reputation with us that they often lose their cool when things get out-of-hand and let their game degenerate into "personal foul fests." Still, I've never seen anything like what happened in the Euliss Trinity game. When Trinity started losing, they resorted to a ton of personal fouls, and then Westlake started retaliating and adding their own personal foul calls. As the game ended, the teams started to approach each other for a brawl until the coaches broke it up. 

To address the elephant in the room, teams seem to never learn about Westlake. Each year in the playoffs, teams from Houston and Dallas who don't see us up-close, see a bunch of white boys and think they will out-physical, out-speed Westlake. North Shore certainly thought they would just line up and use their physicality (and they were good, running for around 260 yards, but it wasn't enough.) And while Westlake didn't have anyone on their team as big and fast as their RB/WR Shadrach Banks, the OVERALL speed & strength at Westlake is very good. Better to try to out-scheme Westlake, which is what South Lake did and it worked pretty well, as they scored 35 points. 

C’mon, this is a pretty ridiculous post. No one in the world ever underestimates teams like Westlake or LT. You’re ranked what, #3 in the nation right now? I always get a kick out of the fantasy rich schools create that no one respects them or that people see a bunch of white kids and think they can’t play, like no one’s ever heard of all the games & titles those schools have won or the players they send to next levels. Try fielding a team full of poor hispanics in any sport and see how much respect you get and hear the kinds of things other teams say to you on the field, no matter how good you are.

Also not sure why you single out RGV teams for behavior you yourself have said teams like Trinity & NB have also partaken in. It all depends on what team you’re playing and who the coach is, no need to lump all RGV teams as one like that. I know a few coaches that wouldn’t stand for that behavior from their players at all. Also might be worth considering that in a blowout situation the winning team could be taunting and rubbing it in to the losing team, which would set some kids off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I personally thought North Shore should have won the Westlake game handily last year, if not for truly unimaginative and pathetic offensive play calling.  Making Shad a RB all game?  Where did that come from?  Too predictable.  Credit to Westlake for taking advantage of it, but your posts seem to indicate Westlake is some juggernaut the likes of which the state has never seen.  Not sure I buy that.  But I wish them well - my team (Highland Park) has a lot of similarities and has had similar success over the years (last night excluded....).

• Hook 'Em 1