2021 Texas HS football

Me too.  Riverlands. 

That wasn’t there when I was growing up. Just woods across Richmond Rd from my house. Bringle Lake pump house was about a mile behind my house. Spent most of my childhood in those woods with my dogs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Garland beat South Garland 70-14.  It was 42-0 in the 1st qtr.  I didn't watch the 2nd half, so I'm curious as to if they fumbled.  I mentioned on the last page that Garland had not fumbled all year.  They didn't in the first half either.

Here's how bad the mismatch was.  It was 21-0 with 9:20 left in the first qtr.  And that was with South receiving the opening kickoff.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Games o' the week -- last week of the regular season!

Lake Travis @ Westlake

Chaps 63-21  Highlight of the night: Caleb Burton scored for LT to make it 42-21 WL and got a taunting penalty and then WL ran the ensuing kickoff back for a TD.

Ryan @ Lone Star

Ryan 7-6!  

Harlingen South @ Los Fresnos

South 29-10  

SV @ Steele

Steele 20-6  

College Station @ Magnolia West

CS 41-20 

Brenham @ Rouse

Rouse 31-24

Round Rock @ Vandegrift

Dragons 38-20

Kilgore @ Lindale

Kilgore 65-58  

PL Calhoun @ Calallen

Calallen 33-21

Gilmer @ Pleasant Grove

Buckeyes 55-14  Not over and wouldn't be shocked if Gilmer tacks on more.

Brock @ Pilot Point

Brock 47-13  Eagles ran it up late

Childress @ Canadian

Childress 34-13  First time in forever Canadian won't win district.

Lubbock Roosevelt @ Idalou

Roosevelt 34-21 Undefeated regular season for LR

Forsan @ Hawley

Hawley 24-21 

Other fun ones:

Judson 43 Wagner 42 

Garland 70 S Garland 14 

Duncanville 76 Waco 0 

Midland Legacy (nee Lee) 34 Permian 21

Pearland 25 Dawson 23 

Plano West 40 Plano 21

Manor 48 Cedar Park 30

Dripping 32 Seguin 31 

Roho 59 Old High 12 

Stephenville 63 Brownwood 7

Wimberley 66 Austin Achieve (sic) 3  Was 60-0 at half

San Marcos 49 Akins 28  Orale Rattlers!  Playoff bound!

Navarro 75 SA YMLA 7

Frisco Liberty 27 Lovejoy 24 last night

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 3

If you posting the YMLA score every week is a subtle jab at me that’s a pretty decent troll.

I forgot Caleb Burton existed. Has he been out a good chunk of the year or is he just not used much? Or is it just me not really following austin football? 
Your boys get Cuero in the playoffs next week!
  • Haha 1

Any chance we are working on flipping Klubnik? 

I watched Pleasanton v La Vernia tonight and it was a fun game to watch. Pleasanton ended up winning 24-20 on a 30 something yard TD run with a minute left after their starting QB got a concussion and didn’t play the second half. I like 4A because these kids mostly are playing for the love of football. 

Edited by WinningIsHard
Doh
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

This was after the Harlingen South vs Los Fresnos district title game tonight. Not even a religious person but I always think these moments are cool to see. Definitely a sign of some return to normalcy after last year. 

"And dear Lord, please let someone from down here beat a San Antonio team this year in the playoffs."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

Here's your 100% true, 100% sunshine-pumping free review of the Lake Travis Westlake clash.

The MILF bowl was everything we hoped it could be, as the stands abounded in talent. Things started out great, as @Beau Vine @Wally Pryor and me vaped under the stands with three drunk Westlake moms. Just as things were looking good, we mistakenly mention that we support mask-wearing in schools, which pissed off the moms, who ditched us. They must have called security on us, cause two burly, heavily-armed deputy sheriffs came over and kicked us out. 

Feeling dejected, we headed over to the practice fields, where we located a six-pack of Natty Lites and partied. The evening felt like a fail, but just as we decided to head home, we got a text from @Fletch and @blacklab who had met up with @Longhorn94 on the Lake Travis side. Turns out they were hanging with some Lake Travis moms who've just moved here from Orange County, CA. They looked awesome in their brand-new cowboy boots but they were wearing their brand-new cowboy hats backwards. They were doing their best to drop y'all into every sentence, which was a little embarrassing, but charming. Still, they made up for it by sharing their medicinal marijuana and we thought we were going to finally get lucky. 

Alas, it was not to be. By then, the game had snowballed into a 63-21 mismatch and the Lake Travis stands were emptying out and the ladies started getting texts from their angry, tech-industry husbands. The angry husbands pull up in their Teslas, and Fletch makes fun of their $450 jeans. Next thing you know, we find ourselves in a pretty tame shoving match, which was more show than action. They start shouting that they are going to sue us. Just as thing start to get good, the police show up, so our little soirée was broken up prematurely. By now, our buzz had worn off and we were all feeling heavy-headed so we all crashed in a giant heap on @phdhorn's floor. 

All-in-all, it turned out to be a pretty fun evening. Next up: the epic playoff game with the mighty 5-5 Hutto Hippos. 

I forgot to mention that @Ricky's one-hitter broke off from us and hooked up with a Westlake mom. While he was sleeping, she rang up a $3,500 charge at Nordstom's on his AMEX card. He is pissed.   

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Here's your 100% true, 100% sunshine-pumping free review of the Lake Travis Westlake clash.

The MILF bowl was everything we hoped it could be, as the stands abounded in talent. Things started out great, as @Beau Vine @Wally Pryor and me vaped under the stands with three drunk Westlake moms. Just as things were looking good, we mistakenly mention that we support mask-wearing in schools, which pissed off the moms, who ditched us. They must have called security on us, cause two burly, heavily-armed deputy sheriffs came over and kicked us out. 

Feeling dejected, we headed over to the practice fields, where we located a six-pack of Natty Lites and partied. The evening felt like a fail, but just as we decided to head home, we got a text from @Fletch and @blacklab who had met up with @Longhorn94 on the Lake Travis side. Turns out they were hanging with some Lake Travis moms who've just moved here from Orange County, CA. They looked awesome in their brand-new cowboy boots but they were wearing their brand-new cowboy hats backwards. They were doing their best to drop y'all into every sentence, which was a little embarrassing, but charming. Still, they made up for it by sharing their medicinal marijuana and we thought we were going to finally get lucky. 

Alas, it was not to be. By then, the game had snowballed into a 63-21 mismatch and the Lake Travis stands were emptying out and the ladies started getting texts from their angry, tech-industry husbands. The angry husbands pull up in their Teslas, and Fletch makes fun of their $450 jeans. Next thing you know, we find ourselves in a pretty tame shoving match, which was more show than action. They start shouting that they are going to sue us. Just as thing start to get good, the police show up, so our little soirée was broken up prematurely. By now, our buzz had worn off and we were all feeling heavy-headed so we all crashed in a giant heap on @phdhorn's floor. 

All-in-all, it turned out to be a pretty fun evening. Next up: the epic playoff game with the mighty 5-5 Hutto Hippos. 

Stupid move on my part for not bringing any blow. Lesson learned. I’ll always have an 8 ball on me from here on out 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Watched the Westlake sophomore dance in and around Lake Travis for 262 yards from scrimmage. Jackson Kayser. And apparently he's been playing on the JV team all season. Klubnick throws such a pretty ball. That is one disciplined, productive and well-oiled machine overall. 

He's played the last few games on varsity. Not sure if the regular starter was hurt or they just decided to go full time with him. He's had at least 2 "how the fuck did he get out of there" plays a game over the last 3 games and had several Friday night including the kick off return for the TD.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Literally anyone except for other valley teams can mudhole a valley team. It’s not hard at all

We have a good team breakthrough at the highest class every 10 years or so (‘99 Edinburg, ‘11 Harlingen, we’re due damn it). But I’d be happy to see an SA team win the region again at least. Steele, Brennan, Johnson all unbeaten but I’m not really seeing a special team out of that bunch. Looking like Westlake in D2 & RR in D1.

55 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Yep, but they will meet in the semifinal. Winner will go on to crush whoever gets out of the north/west part of the state.

Last season the semifinal was the real championship for Westlake too, but in the D2 bracket it will be even more lopsided.

Region 1 in 6AD2 is the weakest I’ve seen in years. Guyer is only top 25 team there. 

23 hours ago, Helobious said:

We have a good team breakthrough at the highest class every 10 years or so (‘99 Edinburg, ‘11 Harlingen, we’re due damn it). But I’d be happy to see an SA team win the region again at least. Steele, Brennan, Johnson all unbeaten but I’m not really seeing a special team out of that bunch. Looking like Westlake in D2 & RR in D1.

@Helobious, looks like the Chaps could face Harlingen South in the third round. I checked their record and see they beat the Cardinals, and are undefeated. Their scores are low, so I'm guessing they win w/ great defense. What do you think of them?    

On 11/7/2021 at 12:11 PM, TreatyOak said:

I forgot to mention that @Ricky's one-hitter broke off from us and hooked up with a Westlake mom. While he was sleeping, she rang up a $3,500 charge at Nordstom's on his AMEX card. He is pissed.   

thanks for the laugh TO. Sorry, we couldnt give you guys a better game. On O, i like our line and skill but we havent had this bad of a QB since before Reesing. Im not sure how the coaches missed so badly on this one. On D, I like our line and our LBs but our back 5 are JAGs, not a playmaker in the group. And for our D to work, the FS and Rover have to be the two best players on the field. They might be the two worst. I will be surprised if we make it past round 3. When your QB has a wide open receiver racing down the sideline and he throws it 8 yards out of bounds, i dont know what to say.

On WL, i dont think its the best WL team I have seen but obviously really good.. I think your O is very balanced and Klubs is outstanding. We have seen much better WL defenses but this one is still really good. I like your back 7 a lot but the DLine is definitely a notch or two below where it has been in the last few years. The DEs are nice but the interior is just not same as those in 2017 and 2018. I have no doubt y'all will win it again this year. we will be cheering for our neighbors down the road.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Helobious said:

Round Rock is a good, tough team, but you are picking them over Southlake Carroll, LT, Rockwall, Atascocita, Westside and North Shore. LT will probably be ready for them if they meet up in the fourth round.

MILF joking aside, I was impressed w/ several things about LT and unimpressed with others. 

Impressed: 
Size-man, they are huge. Who is that monster defensive tackle? Dude looks D1. 
Skill players. They have long, fast receivers. The RB looks like a D1 player. Speed.
Execution. As usual, they have great offensive scheme and are fast. 

Unimpressed:
QB. Bo Edmoundson has the physicals skills but against Westlake and Round Rock last year, he panicked. Dude bails and his pick-6 against Westlake was an absolutely terrible throw into double coverage. Westlake tends to make QB's look bad but he feels like he is missing some intangible. Curious, @Longhorn94, how my LT brethren feel about him.
Interior line got pushed around pretty badly by the Chaps, but again, it is hard to use them as measuring stick., because this is a generational o-line. 
The secondary. Rockwall lit them up for 59 points. I am curious if it is scheme or players. They have a ton of great receivers so maybe some should come over and help.    

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

thanks for the laugh TO. Sorry, we couldnt give you guys a better game. On O, i like our line and skill but we havent had this bad of a QB since before Reesing. Im not sure how the coaches missed so badly on this one. On D, I like our line and our LBs but our back 5 are JAGs, not a playmaker in the group. And for our D to work, the FS and Rover have to be the two best players on the field. They might be the two worst. I will be surprised if we make it past round 3. When your QB has a wide open receiver racing down the sideline and he throws it 8 yards out of bounds, i dont know what to say.

On WL, i dont think its the best WL team I have seen but obviously really good.. I think your O is very balanced and Klubs is outstanding. We have seen much better WL defenses but this one is still really good. I like your back 7 a lot but the DLine is definitely a notch or two below where it has been in the last few years. The DEs are nice but the interior is just not same as those in 2017 and 2018. I have no doubt y'all will win it again this year. we will be cheering for our neighbors down the road.

Wow, I just as I was posting questions and you posted some great thoughts. We are pretty much in agreement across the board. Edmounson may be feeling the weight of being the leader when the lineage has been so amazing. His confidence looks down. I would not want to be in his shoes.

I agree that Westlake D is not as good. Last year was our best defense ever and this one has 9 new starters. Our RB's were overall better last year but we have this tiny sophomore, Keyser, who has really stepped up. He reminds me of Duece Vaughn, who is one of my favorite players. However, he is so small that I doubt he sniffs D1 unless a Rice or Texas State is interested. 

Next year I am picking you. Not sure how you replicate Dodge. The backup is great, but he's a senior, and I've been unimpressed with the sophomore who's getting snaps in garbage time. He's big, not terribly quick and he won't have the QB whisperer to help him. We shall see.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Wow, I just as I was posting questions and you posted some great thoughts. We are pretty much in agreement across the board. Edmounson may be feeling the weight of being the leader when the lineage has been so amazing. His confidence looks down. I would not want to be in his shoes.

I agree that Westlake D is not as good. Last year was our best defense ever and this one has 9 new starters. Our RB's were overall better last year but we have this tiny sophomore, Keyser, who has really stepped up. He reminds me of Duece Vaughn, who is one of my favorite players. However, he is so small that I doubt he sniffs D1 unless a Rice or Texas State is interested. 

Next year I am picking you. Not sure how you replicate Dodge. The backup is great, but he's a senior, and I've been unimpressed with the sophomore who's getting snaps in garbage time. He's big, not terribly quick and he won't have the QB whisperer to help him. We shall see.  

i dont know what to tell you about Bo. Last year, before he hurt his knee, he looked like the next great one. When he came back against RR, he looked like dogshit and has looked the same ever since. Bo's play was not about WL. Bo has been playing that way all year long. We can just cover it up against teams not named RW or WL.

On D, the corners suck, the safeties are worse. and the rover is the worst. i dont know what to tell you.

as for next year, if Bo is still playing like this, shiiiiiit its all WL. I dont like any of our down program QBs either. We have a lot of big boys coming up on the lines, lots of skill across the board, but not a QB to be found. maybe we will get lucky and one will move in.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

and fuck y'all's little rb. that fucker is good.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Round Rock is a good, tough team, but you are picking them over Southlake Carroll, LT, Rockwall, Atascocita, Westside and North Shore. LT will probably be ready for them if they meet up in the fourth round.

RR just kicked Vandergrift's butt 38-20.  And the Vipers are solid.  Don't sleep on the Dragons.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

@Helobious, looks like the Chaps could face Harlingen South in the third round. I checked their record and see they beat the Cardinals, and are undefeated. Their scores are low, so I'm guessing they win w/ great defense. What do you think of them?    

South has a really talented group of seniors, but they struggled the prior 3 years under the old coach. 1st year coach this year has unleashed their potential. That said they get along by running the ball, are uncreative on offense & they really can’t pass. Their defense is good & quick, but I don’t think South has the athletes to hang with SA Marshall. Should be a close game but Marshall will win. 

Don’t overlook SA Johnson in the 2nd round though. They have a good RB & 2 legit D1 track stars at WR in Cannon Fairley and Alejandro Tavarez. Chaps should win but those 2 guys could be giving you headaches.

• Hook 'Em 1