2021 Texas HS football

Machinator

Top games this week...Lots of byes at the lower level, but lots of "prove-it" games for typical non-powers:

Westfield-Spring

Tompkins-Katy

Liberty-Frisco

Helobious Special!  South-Harlingen

Upset Special!   San Marcos @ Westlake  

Wall-Shiner in Fredricksburg

Clarendon @ Vega

Van @ Liberty-Eylau

Argyle @ Melissa

Pleasant Grove @ Carthage

Sinton @ Rockport-Fulton

Canadian @ Spearman

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Top games this week...Lots of byes at the lower level, but lots of "prove-it" games for typical non-powers:

Westfield-Spring

Tompkins-Katy

Liberty-Frisco

Clarendon @ Vega

Van @ Liberty-Eylau

Argyle @ Melissa

Sinton @ Rockport-Fulton

Canadian @ Spearman

Any idea why Wall-Shiner is being played in Fredricksburg?

47 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Westfield-Spring

Tompkins-Katy

Liberty-Frisco

Clarendon @ Vega

Van @ Liberty-Eylau

Argyle @ Melissa

Sinton @ Rockport-Fulton

Canadian @ Spearman

That’s a pretty weak statewide slate again. Hawks really feeling confident about this one. But they’ve been the better team a couple times in the streak and still lost, big mental block they’ll need to get over. Should be a classic. Dale Duro Cards. 

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Westfield-Spring

Tompkins-Katy

Liberty-Frisco

Clarendon @ Vega

Van @ Liberty-Eylau

Argyle @ Melissa

Sinton @ Rockport-Fulton

Canadian @ Spearman

Season 7 Yes GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

That’s a pretty weak statewide slate again. Hawks really feeling confident about this one. But they’ve been the better team a couple times in the streak and still lost, big mental block they’ll need to get over. Should be a classic. Dale Duro Cards. 

Since it's that time of the week to bitch about newspaper coverage, RGVSports.com doesn't have a word on the Bird Bowl.  Sharyland-Mission Vets is their featured game of the week.  WTF?

40 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Since it's that time of the week to bitch about newspaper coverage, RGVSports.com doesn't have a word on the Bird Bowl.  Sharyland-Mission Vets is their featured game of the week.  WTF?

Yeah that site has a lot of mid-valley bias. No idea on that choice though. I think Vela vs Edinburg high is a better game than that one. Hide yo kids, hide yo refs. At least that site know high school sports are going on. Mysa.com still has stuff from August on the front page I think. DMN was the gold standard for high school coverage but I think it’s all paywalled now.

Garland still undefeated.  #34 in the state (MaxPreps) before last night's 44-7 victory over Naaman Forest.  Jordan Hudson has been carrying a knock for the past 3 weeks.  Don't be fooled by his lack of stats.  He's playing mostly as a decoy right now, and sitting out a lot of plays.

I didn't realize, until buying a program last night, that one of Garland's coaches was Cedric Mitchell.  IIRC, he was a Texas LB recruit from West Mesquite in the early 2000's.  He didn't pan out, but I did remember his name.

Westfield-Spring

Westfield 31-21

Tompkins-Katy

Tigers 56-21

Liberty-Frisco

They'll always be the Coons to me 43-7

Helobious Special!  South-Harlingen

Postponed to 1pm tomorrow by storms

Upset Special!   San Marcos @ Westlake  

Rattlers 0, Chaps 0, Westlake Refs 56

Shiner 42-14

Clarendon @ Vega

Vega 34-14

Van @ Liberty-Eylau

Van 27-25

Argyle @ Melissa

HOLY SHIT!  Melissa 21-0.  Argyle had won 60 straight in the regular season and hadn't lost a district game since 2009.

Carthage 21-6

Sinton @ Rockport-Fulton

Pirates focus 28-21

Canadian @ Spearman

Canadian got a last-minute FG to win 38-37.

Also,

SA Cornerstone 31, Calallen 6

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Westfield-Spring

Westfield 31-21

Tompkins-Katy

Tigers 56-21

Liberty-Frisco

They'll always be the Coons to me 43-7

Helobious Special!  South-Harlingen

Postponed to 1pm tomorrow by storms

Upset Special!   San Marcos @ Westlake  

Rattlers 0, Chaps 0, Westlake Refs 56

Shiner 42-14

Clarendon @ Vega

Vega 34-14

Van @ Liberty-Eylau

Van 27-25

Argyle @ Melissa

HOLY SHIT!  Melissa 21-0.  Argyle had won 60 straight in the regular season and hadn't lost a district game since 2009.

Carthage 21-6

Sinton @ Rockport-Fulton

Pirates focus 28-21

Canadian @ Spearman

Canadian got a last-minute FG to win 38-37.

Also,

SA Cornerstone 31, Calallen 6

Yep.  We (Calallen) looked like shit tonight.  I will say after seeing Cornerstone I can understand why the Private leagues want nothing of them,   They are not your typical private  church school prep boys.  

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yep.  We (Calallen) looked like shit tonight.  I will say after seeing Cornerstone I can understand why the Private leagues want nothing of them,   They are not your typical private  church school prep boys.  

Really? They’ve gotten completely destroyed by Frisco lone Star, Carthage, and Austin LBJ this year. They had a few star players transfer out before the season after they realized what a joke it was.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Really? They’ve gotten completely destroyed by Frisco lone Star, Carthage, and Austin LBJ this year. They had a few star players transfer out before the season after they realized what a joke it was.

Actually they were down 27-26 going in to the 4th qtr against LBJ last week.   Oh well.   Spoke to a couple of kids Dads just a few minutes ago.   Sounds like the kids farted around a lot this week and this was the end result.  District starts next week so better to pop some egos now than when it counts.  

On 9/30/2021 at 11:58 AM, Helobious said:

Always wondered how schools like Randolph & Cole ran their athletic programs. Most of those kids don’t stay more than 1 or 2 years. I believe they’re the only military base schools in Texas that compete in the UIL.

Killeen, Harker Heights, and Copperas Cove have a few military kids.

On 9/24/2021 at 7:50 PM, Somnio said:

Damn,  didn't Hays make it to the 5A state title game last year?

Has Akins ever even won a playoff game, or any game of note in it's short history?

I think Akins is one the biggest high schools in AISD, though.   Maybe they can join Bowie and LBJ as Austin high schools that are at least aren't terrible.

Not that it's particularly impressive, but I just saw Akins beat Austin High last night.

I'm sure they'll get destroyed by Westlake, but the game against Bowie might be a good one.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Killeen, Harker Heights, and Copperas Cove have a few military kids.

I didn’t really count those since they’re off base. But then again I’d bet 50%+ of their kids are military so they’d be having the same problem.

Looked up Harker Heights HS student demographics out of curiosity. 36% military dependents. Black, hispanic, whites each 28% of the student body, and 9% mixed race.  That’s easily gotta be one of the most diverse high school in the state. In the cosmopolitan hub of Killeen of all places.

https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/cgi/sas/broker?_service=marykay&_program=perfrept.perfmast.sas&_debug=0&ccyy=2020&lev=C&id=014906007&prgopt=reports/tapr/student.sas

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Dammit, it's 10:30am... where is TreatyOak's coverage of that complete screwjob in Westlake last night??!?!?

Sorry for the delay. Here is your non-sunshine pumping review of last nights clash. Taking advantage of looser UIL oversight, the Westlake administration took an opportunity last spring to make a sizable donation to the Texas High School Coaching Association. As a result, Westlake was able to have a hand in helping “select” the refs for last night’s clash w mighty San Marcos. I spotted the refs at a lively, alcohol-fueled dinner at Rudy’s on 360 with a bevy of Westlake dads. Handing the refs some suspiciously fat, take-home bags, the boisterous dads then headed straight to a pre-game meeting with admins at the stadium. Not surprisingly, the resulting game was a parody of fair-play, more akin to a soccer game involving Kim Jung Un’s son’s team vs a team that simply wants to see the next dawn. Strange delay-of-game penalties against San Marcos when they were on defense, lengthy booth reviews that always went Westlake’s way, (which is significant, considering there are no reviews in HS sports) and a scoreboard that seemed to have a mind of its own, as points would mysteriously be added at random moments. The resulting 56-0 monstrosity will no-doubt live in the annals of sports travesties that say more about injustice in  America than any angry letter in the New York Times ever could. 

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Back in my day, nobody did that to Calallen

I’ve see it three times since I moved here in 1995.   Where we generally got our ass handed to us in all facets of the game. We lost a few others but not to point you were asking WTF did I just watch. 

2007 against Lake Travis  45-14

2014 against Sharyland  28-0

and last night.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/3/2021 at 3:24 PM, Helobious said:

South wins their first bird bowl in 14 years, 28-21. They’ve damn near evened up the all time series record, improving to 5-24. Harlingen couldn’t get overcome the stingy Hawks D or the fact that they just kind of suck this year. Going to be a rough few weeks. 

2007 was the last time, correct? Senior laden team that finished as #1 in the valley

59 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

2007 was the last time, correct? Senior laden team that finished as #1 in the valley

Yeah that was it. I never saw that team play, I was living in SA at the time and didn’t move back down till the year after. Sounded like they were really good. I believe that was also Gomez’s first year at HHS. The next season is when he started that crazy 4 year dynasty. South fell off at the same time. This new coach South has seems like the real deal, former cardinal player/coach to boot. Should make the rivalry better.

Its a shame the higher ups in Weslaco seem to hate the Tinaco Bowl for whatever reason, it could be just as big a deal as bird bowl. I think if it was up to them WHS-East would never ever play.

On 10/3/2021 at 1:24 AM, Helobious said:

South wins their first bird bowl in 14 years, 28-21. They’ve damn near evened up the all time series record, improving to 5-24. Harlingen couldn’t get overcome the stingy Hawks D or the fact that they just kind of suck this year. Going to be a rough few weeks. 

"Bird Bowl" ??? The grackle was there? Doomed

Top games this week:

Rockwall @ Tyler Legacy (nee Lee)

SA Taft-Brennan  Hey, they're both undefeated!

Rudder @ Montgomery

Bowie @ Westlake  Hey, they're both undefeated!

Jeevsie Special: Plano West-East

SA Marshall-Holmes

Helobious Special: Harlingen South @ San Benito

Longview @ HP

Tascosa-Amarillo

Derka Special: Pflugerville @ Manor

Nederland @ Texas City  Hey, they're both undefeated!

Double Helobious Special: McAllen @ Weslaco East

Stephenville @ La Vega

Chad Brisco Special: Pampa @ Big Spring

Geronimo Navarro @ Manor New Tech

Silsbee @ WOS

Mount Vernon @ Mineola

Aubrey @ Celina

Chilton @ Mart

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Top games this week:

Rockwall @ Tyler Legacy (nee Lee)

SA Taft-Brennan  Hey, they're both undefeated!

Rudder @ Montgomery

Bowie @ Westlake  Hey, they're both undefeated!

Jeevsie Special: Plano West-East

SA Marshall-Holmes

Helobious Special: Harlingen South @ San Benito

Longview @ HP

Tascosa-Amarillo

Derka Special: Pflugerville @ Manor

Nederland @ Texas City  Hey, they're both undefeated!

Double Helobious Special: McAllen @ Weslaco East

Stephenville @ La Vega

Chad Brisco Special: Pampa @ Big Spring

Geronimo Navarro @ Manor New Tech

Silsbee @ WOS

Mount Vernon @ Mineola

Aubrey @ Celina

Chilton @ Mart

Manor New Tech seems to be building something special. 2 wins this already this year.

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

McAllen 21 Weslaco East 14

That new coach has really awakened the bulldogs. I can’t even remember the last time they were good, Memorial has dominated that city for years. 

Brennan outlasted Taft as well. Pretty clear top 4 in SA of SV, Brennan, Johnson, and Steele.

Is there any available stream for the Bowie-Westlake game? Graduated from Bowie back in the day and haven’t seen any of these games since then. I think I read that KVUE has all the Westlake games but I live in DFW. If that’s the only stream available then so be it. I may just have to listen on the radio with iHeart. But if anyone has a link it would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, Txslnghrns said:

Is there any available stream for the Bowie-Westlake game? Graduated from Bowie back in the day and haven’t seen any of these games since then. I think I read that KVUE has all the Westlake games but I live in DFW. If that’s the only stream available then so be it. I may just have to listen on the radio with iHeart. But if anyone has a link it would be appreciated.

fuck Bowie.. 

GoCoogs

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Txslnghrns said:

Sorry. Just saw this. 35-0 Chaps in 4th quarter. Looks like a blowout but Bowie playing tough. They have a good team and should do some damage in the playoffs.  

https://www.kxan.com/westlake/

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Like 1