2021 Texas HS football

Machinator

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

And a surly shoutout to Zach Gomez (of 9 TDs-while-on-coke fame). After some stints in jail & rehab he apparently got clean and has walked on at TAMUK, making the team as a QB. Quite the story. 

I remember when this dude committed to LSU: https://javelinaathletics.com/sports/football/roster/zadock-dinklemann/5603

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Great august boredom activity, glance at a couple Texas fcs & D2 rosters. Always bound to see some “whatever happened to that guy” names. 

https://javelinaathletics.com/sports/football/roster/toneil-carter/5595

Good Lord, you made me look at the roster and I found Toneil Carter. Taking him over Eno Benjamin still drives me crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

When is the last time HP took a beating like this?  @hpslugga

Oh probably either 2015 in the playoffs against Waco Midway or 2013 in Week 1 against Aledo.

EDIT: Those 2 home losses in the Randy Allen era were brutal as well (Pulaski 2015 and Frisco Lone Star 2019)

Edited by hpslugga
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What do you expect from two wealthy areas of a major city in Texas?

Someone’s never been to San Antonio. 

Really impressed with that RB for southlake. Not super fast but he’s everything you want in a high school RB. That WR Sampson is legit too, as is RJ Maryland. Semifinal team at worst imo.

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Someone’s never been to San Antonio. 

Really impressed with that RB for southlake. Not super fast but he’s everything you want in a high school RB. That WR Sampson is legit too, as is RJ Maryland. Semifinal team at worst imo.

San Antonio is a completely different animal than DFW/Houston/Austin

For those in the San Antonio area, KSAT 12 has a "Big Game Coverage" app that is working with Texas Sports Productions to stream a large majority of the games in the area.  Makes it a lot easier on your phone and tablet. The app also has a scoreboard of all the games in the area.   They claim if you have Roku, Firestick or Apple TV, you can download the KSAT app and the games will be on there live.  I wasn't able to test that out last night since we were at a game.  

Desoto vs Judson is tonight and is being streamed.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Will the Duncanville/Mater Dei game be streamed anywhere?

FloSports only it appears exclusive streaming...hopefully a feed appears later as would love to watch some of it, but I'm not throwing down $25 for a months subscription

"There are 44 players from both teams that are at least a three-star recruit or have at least one FBS offer."

From LA Times today:

DALLAS — 

Peering through window blinds while sitting at his office desk, Duncanville High football coach Reginald Samples has a perfect view of Panther Stadium, which has a seating capacity of nearly 11,000 and pristine all-weather turf.

He’s asked to describe Texas high school football.

“Football in Texas is a big deal. The atmosphere is a frenzy,” he said Thursday during a typical 90-degree summer day.

Texas is known for everything being bigger there — flags, bridges, brisket. Nothing, though, comes close to high school football, where state championships are played at the 80,000-seat AT&T Stadium in Arlington.

Allen High plays in a $62-million stadium that featured future Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray playing quarterback on three Class 5A state championship teams while the city of McKinney features a $70-million municipal stadium for its three high schools. Allen has 8,500 season-ticket holders and reserves 1,000 seats for its marching band, drill team and color guard. Duncanville has a 400-member band.

“There are high emotions because of the rivalries of the teams,” Samples said.

Enter Santa Ana Mater Dei and Bellflower St. John Bosco, the top two teams in California. Mater Dei is serving as Duncanville’s season-opening opponent Friday night, and St. John Bosco has booked its own trip to Dallas for Aug. 26, 2022, against an opponent to be announced.

Could this be the start of an expanded relationship between California and Texas?

Mater Dei agreed June 25 to play at Duncanville, when both were searching for opponents to play this week. Trinity League powers Mater Dei and St. John Bosco — one of which has appeared in the Southern Section Division 1 championship game annually since 2013, combining for five titles — routinely have trouble filling their nonleague schedules.

“They have to be willing to come to California,” St. John Bosco coach Jason Negro said. “It’s going to have to be a two-way street.”

One problem. Texas powerhouse teams are mostly public schools that make too much money filling their own large stadiums to make costly trips to California. Most top teams that have traveled to Texas from California have been private schools.

In 2014, La Puente Bishop Amat went to Aledo, the defending state 5A champion, and won 42-7. The team received a stipend from Aledo to help with expenses. Coach Steve Hagerty remembers his team traveling on a bus “in the middle of nowhere.”

“It’s flat. It’s a desert,” he said. “We pull up and my goodness, it’s better than any stadium we’ve ever played in. I remember our film crew of three students. They’re eating food between plays. Anything they want. The fun is there’s expectations. You think it’s going to be great and it was awesome.”

In 2015, Concord De La Salle went to Euless Trinity as the No. 1 team in the nation and lost 26-21. Coach Justin Alumbaugh said the experience exceeded expectations. He said his wife required 30 minutes just to get through a massive tailgate party before the game.

“It’s really ‘Friday Night Lights,’” he said. “The pageantry, the setup, the support, the barbecue joints. Then you go to the game. They have massive, gorgeous stadiums. It was electric. Their bands, their student sections. It was just bigger. There was more people doing more of it enthusiastically. They take it a little serious.”

A California vs. Texas high school football all-star game lasted seven years until ending in 2001. California won the first six times. Texas teams have a 21-14 record in head-to-head matchups against California teams, according to CalPreps.com and CalHiSports.com. Texas, Florida and California have annually produced the most top football talent for college programs.

Perhaps the visits by Mater Dei and St. John Bosco can serve as a reboot in the California vs. Texas relationship. California fans are certainly fired up.

“We all MD fans on Friday,” tweeted one California fan.

“It’s no secret that I don’t care for MD, but not this weekend,” a football fan from rival Anaheim Servite tweeted.

Mater Dei players showed up at school Monday at 7 a.m. to get COVID-19 tests. “It’s time to get serious,” coach Bruce Rollinson said.

SPORTS

Prep Rally: California football vs. Texas football with bragging rights at stake

Aug. 23, 2021

When word came back Tuesday that his traveling party of 64 players all tested negative, Rollinson said, “We’re rolling.” The team boarded a flight to Dallas from John Wayne Airport on Thursday afternoon and will return Saturday morning.

Alumbaugh is hoping expansion does take place.

“Texas has the big stadiums and want people coming there,” he said. “The hard part for California teams is funding. A lot of times it’s the first time kids get on a plane. We’ve always talked about going back to Texas. It’s a unique experience.”

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Hp qb scrambled, helmet came off during the tackle. While on the ground one of the tacklers gave him a pretty solid eye gouge/face rake clear as day long after the play ended.

What point in the game? I totally missed this and wasn’t sitting near anyone to overhear them talking about it.

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Just download ScoreStream and delete DCTF

Done and thank you.

21 minutes ago, Marshall_Lucky said:

Duncanville getting worked- 24-3 Mater Dei, late 2nd.

I really don’t understand the appeal of scheduling teams like Mater Dei and IMG, who Duncanville played last year.

16 minutes ago, Marshall_Lucky said:

Not sure there’s a team in Texas that can hang with Mater Dei. Speed on offense is unreal. Apparently D-Ville completely folded at 14-3, dudes walking on and off the field, no energy, etc. 

sounds like a typical samples team. Would have be interesting to see them play Katy or westlake. Which IMO are the two best teams this year 

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

sounds like a typical samples team. Would have be interesting to see them play Katy or westlake. Which IMO are the two best teams this year 

This is not about Samples. Mater Dei is a Southern California all star team. There’s a talent gap, it’s usually stupid for public schools to play teams like this.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

This is not about Samples. Mater Dei is a Southern California all star team. There’s a talent gap, it’s usually stupid for public schools to play teams like this.

Everytime a samples team gets punched in the mouth they fold. It’s been that way at most of his stops. Duncanville wasn’t expected to be a champion level team this year. My point remains westlake and Katy are the class of the state this year imo

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Everytime a samples team gets punched in the mouth they fold. It’s been that way at most of his stops. Duncanville wasn’t expected to be a champion level team this year. My point remains westlake and Katy are the class of the state this year imo

Katy and Westlake are the defending champs, so yeah. But your Samples point is silly, it’s stupid to pretend this game is a coaching issue

And Duncanville lost a state championship on a miracle Hail Mary one year, and their star QB blew out his knee in the semifinals the next year. That’s not about “folding” when you get hit in the mouth.

Your criticism may hold some weight for his Skyline tenure, but not really for his Duncanville tenure.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Katy and Westlake are the defending champs, so yeah. But your Samples point is silly, it’s stupid to pretend this game is a coaching issue

And Duncanville lost a state championship on a miracle Hail Mary one year, and their star QB blew out his knee in the semifinals the next year. That’s not about “folding” when you get hit in the mouth.

Your criticism may hold some weight for his Skyline tenure, but not really for his Duncanville tenure.

Yeah it goes well before Duncanville. He’s had insanely talented teams and has never won the title. 

29 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah it goes well before Duncanville. He’s had insanely talented teams and has never won the title. 

I used to have a similarly negative view of Samples as well, but then I saw what Skyline turned into literally the second he left.

29 minutes ago, cafe society said:

7 minutes remaining, Judson 35  DeSoto 28

Judson held on to beat Desoto. SW Dallas county taking it on the chin today.

Claude Mathis is the coach who should get more shit, his teams always lack discipline.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Mac8111 said:

Their staff tweeted last night that they know there are issues and they are working on a solution

Well the old app was awesome, and their staff just went and completely fucked it up, so I'm not holding my breath on them finding a "solution."