2021 Texas HS football

Machinator

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

C’mon, this is a pretty ridiculous post. No one in the world ever underestimates teams like Westlake or LT. You’re ranked what, #3 in the nation right now? I always get a kick out of the fantasy rich schools create that no one respects them or that people see a bunch of white kids and think they can’t play, like no one’s ever heard of all the games & titles those schools have won or the players they send to next levels. Try fielding a team full of poor hispanics in any sport and see how much respect you get and hear the kinds of things other teams say to you on the field, no matter how good you are.

Also not sure why you single out RGV teams for behavior you yourself have said teams like Trinity & NB have also partaken in. It all depends on what team you’re playing and who the coach is, no need to lump all RGV teams as one like that. I know a few coaches that wouldn’t stand for that behavior from their players at all. Also might be worth considering that in a blowout situation the winning team could be taunting and rubbing it in to the losing team, which would set some kids off.

Fair points. It’s not fair to lump all RGV teams into this, for sure. And I love the pride you have for the programs and love your reviews/info, so I apologize. And I think it’s nothing short of AMAZING what the Valley teams do, as well as some of the special high schools. Heck, one of the very best high schools currently in the nation is a math/science school in the valley, which is extraordinary.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

To address the elephant in the room, teams seem to never learn about Westlake. Each year in the playoffs, teams from Houston and Dallas who don't see us up-close, see a bunch of white boys and think they will out-physical, out-speed Westlake. North Shore certainly thought they would just line up and use their physicality (and they were good, running for around 260 yards, but it wasn't enough.) And while Westlake didn't have anyone on their team as big and fast as their RB/WR Shadrach Banks, the OVERALL speed & strength at Westlake is very good. Better to try to out-scheme Westlake, which is what South Lake did and it worked pretty well, as they scored 35 points. 

Nobody is underestimating the back to back defending champs and North Shore played Westlake much closer than Southlake did.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

I personally thought North Shore should have won the Westlake game handily last year, if not for truly unimaginative and pathetic offensive play calling.  Making Shad a RB all game?  Where did that come from?  Too predictable.  Credit to Westlake for taking advantage of it, but your posts seem to indicate Westlake is some juggernaut the likes of which the state has never seen.  Not sure I buy that.  But I wish them well - my team (Highland Park) has a lot of similarities and has had similar success over the years (last night excluded....).

“Should have” vs what happened. We were a better team vs North Shore last year. We beat them in their city. And I do think last year’s Westlake team is being regarded as one of the best all-time state championship teams, and was better than this year’s team. They are ranked #6 all-time in this recent listing. https://texashsfootball.com/top-10-texas-high-school-football-teams-of-all-time/ 

And yes, Highland Park has been/is amazing, for sure, and there are some awesome restaurants there, too. Maybe I’ve overstated the lack of respect, lol. I’m probably overly influenced by idiot YouTube comments, as we are always described as “slow,” by the North Shore posters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Fair points. It’s not fair to lump all RGV teams into this, for sure. And I love the pride you have for the programs and love your reviews/info, so I apologize. And I think it’s nothing short of AMAZING what the Valley teams do, as well as some of the special high schools. Heck, one of the very best high schools currently in the nation is a math/science school in the valley, which is extraordinary.

In double fairness I do know for sure of one RGV coach that while he might not actively encourage cheap shots, he certainly wouldn’t have a problem if his team started some shit. He coaches at a school in Edinburg that rhymes with Bela.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Helobious said:

Season ends for my cards, Laredo United South wins 24-7. I’ll give some credit to coach Gomez, he stuck to his suspension guns and our star RB (who scored 3 TDs vs LUS in the 1st game of the year) sure didn’t play tonight. Hopefully the kid learns something and stays on the team, he’s just a junior. 

I saw highland park lost to Frisco wakeland 29-28. Don’t know much about either team but that’s gotta be the biggest upset of the playoffs going back several years. 

What the fuck happened to calallen. Lost to Fredericksburg 14-10.

We played like shit against Fred last night.   Our Oline looked like a bunch of pussies like the Longhorn Oline.    Fred might be better than their 8-4 record indicates?  We shall see in a couple of weeks when they rematch against LBJ.    They should dog stomp Pleasanton next week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Best games of the week?  Let's try picking one from each region in each bracket:

6AD1:

1.  Lewisville (10-1) vs Arlington Martin (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Irving  I don't think either of these teams has much of a chance to win the region, but it should be a fun game.

Martin disappoints again.  Freaking Farmers!  35-18.

2.  Rockwall (9-2) vs DeSoto (9-2), 3:15 p.m. Saturday at Arlington  Might be 100+ points in this game.

3.  Humble Atascocita (9-2) vs Dickinson (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Galena Park  Ton of college talent in this game.

Atascocita got a FG with 3 sec left to win 22-21.

4.  Austin Bowie (9-2) vs Smithson Valley (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at San Marcos  Choosing this one because I'm going.

Bowie got a 4th-and-2 stop with 2 minutes left to hold a 28-21 lead.  SV was very unimpressive.  

6AD2:

1.  Denton Guyer (10-1) vs Dallas Jesuit (10-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Frisco  Big test for Jesuit, whose only loss is to Rockwall.  These are probably the two best teams in the region.  

Jesuit fails big test badly, 56-7.

2.  Rockwall-Heath (10-1) vs Temple (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Burleson  Heath has scored 591 points.

Temple kicked FGs, Heath scored TDs.  Heath wins 45-33.

3.  Houston King (9-2) vs Alvin Shadow Creek (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Iowa Colony  Winner probably gets Katy next week.

King is for real!  52-34.

4.  Austin Vandegrift (10-1) vs Cibolo Steele (11-0), 7 p.m. Friday at Schertz  Sorry, Helobious, I nearly picked Taft-Vela.

Maybe the most impressive score of the night -- Vipers 38-0.

5AD1

1.  Colleyville Heritage (10-1) vs Amarillo (9-2), 2 p.m. Saturday at Wichita Falls  This region is hot garbage.

2.  College Station (11-0) vs Frisco Lone Star (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Tyler  Also have Ryan-MagWest 

CS announced their presence with authority, 55-21.  Wow.

3.  Pflugerville Weiss (10-1) vs Manvel (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Bryan  Manvel will probably out-athlete them, but Weiss has won 10 in a row, most of them easily.  

Weiss blew a lead and lost 41-31.

4.  McAllen Memorial (10-1) vs San Antonio Lanier (9-2), 3 p.m. Saturday  Wimberley or Cuero could win this bracket.

5AD2

1.  All 4 games will be blowouts.  Not even going to pick one, because I don't want to bother looking up the score.

2.  Aledo (11-0) vs Frisco Liberty (10-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Denton  Liberty knocked off Lovejoy a couple of weeks ago when LJ was ranked higher than Aledo.

Aledo 57-14.  Got dam!

3.  Texarkana Texas High (10-0) vs Texas City (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Lufkin I have no idea how good the Stingarees are, but the dudes from the northeast are badass.

Texark 31-0.  Is this right?  Someone must have been fucking with the score app earlier...

4.  Liberty Hill (9-2) vs Boerne Champion (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at San Antonio  If it's like any other year, BC's chances of winning will come down to whether the officiating crew is willing to flag the LH offense when they're not set for a full second. 

LH in a walkover 51-14.

4AD1

1.  Dumas (8-2) vs Fort Stockton (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Lubbock  I think Dumas wins this region.

Demons 31-6.

2.  Kennedale (10-1) vs Argyle (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Fort Worth  Kennedale has played a weak schedule and I expect Argyle to win this game and region pretty easily.

Eagles 27-3.

3.  El Campo (10-1) vs Lindale (7-4), 7 p.m. Thursday at Waco  Lindale has gotten it going recently and might give a test to the team I expect to win the region.

Ricebirds 56-42.

4.  Boerne (8-2) vs Corpus Christi Miller (8-3), 7 p.m. Friday at San Antonio  Boerne always seems to underachieve relative to their talent, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get in a shootout here and lose.

Boerne made it look easy -- 63-14.

4AD2

1.  Sweetwater (8-3) vs Aubrey (10-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Stephenville  Aubrey has put up excellent records two years in a row, but Sweetwater has played a much tougher schedule.

The Chaps may be for real.  42-7.  Wow.

2.  Glen Rose (10-1) vs Texarkana Pleasant Grove (6-5), 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Frisco  Lots of people getting payback on PG this season, but I don't know if GR is good enough to take them.

3.  Bellville (11-0) vs Rusk (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Waco  Bellville is really good, and I think their running game grinds up the Eagles in spite of the McCown kid and stork's nephew.  I hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately, I wasn't wrong -- Brahmas 41-20.  

4.  Cuero (10-1) vs Rockport-Fulton (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Victoria  R-F runs that old-school offense that they might need to slow down the Gobblers.

Cuero 55-27, which sets up a showdown with Wimberley (won 66-0) next week.

3AD1

1.  Shallowater (9-2) vs Early (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Clyde  It seems like either Early or Brownwood can be good, but not both at the same time.  Odd...

Shallowater 42-14.

2.  Gladewater (8-2) vs Grandview (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Royse City  This seems like one of the best regions in the state, every year.

The Zebras go down hard for the first time in years, 49-21.

3.  Columbus (9-2) vs Anahuac (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Houston  Columbus probably wins this easily, but Anahuac won a game last week that I didn't expect.

Anuhuac gave them a good game, but Cardinals close, 42-34.

4.  London (10-0) vs Lago Vista (7-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Somerset  Probably 4 blowouts in this region, but let's see if CCL can back up that record.

CC London was a fake, lost 34-0.

3AD2

1.  Stanton (5-6) vs Brady (7-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Wall  The other 3 games will be walkovers.  Stanton pulled the upset of the week last week and I suspect they'll handle Brady to even their record. 

Brady probably didn't expect to be in round 3, but they are, 21-13.

2.  Holliday (11-0) vs Leonard (8-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Krum  I'll be honest, I'm pretty amused by a football playoff game at Krum.

Holiday remains unbeaten 35-28.

3.  Daingerfield (9-2) vs Elysian Fields (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Tatum  Most even matchup in a region with several state contenders.

56-14 Dangerfield

4.  Poth (9-1) vs East Bernard (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Bastrop  Poth always seems good but can never get over the hump.  EB always just Wing-Ts people to death.

Shocker -- 41-14 Poth

2AD1

1.  New Deal (10-1) vs Forsan (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Colorado City  Best game out west this week, all levels.

New Deal 28-24

2.  Cooper (11-0) vs Tolar (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Denton  Tolar's losses are to 3A Dublin and juggernaut Crawford.

Tolar's no longer undefeated 35-24.

3.  Beckville (11-0) vs Hearne (8-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Murphy  I would not be surprised if Hearne wins this.

Hearn did not win.  50-31 Beckville

4.  La Villa (9-2) vs Ganado (6-5), 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Corpus  Ganado has played a much tougher schedule, so they're probably favored, but either will be cannon fodder for Refugio next week.  And here's your RGV team, Helo.

Ganado 60-23.

2AD2

1.  McCamey (9-1) vs Wellington (7-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Littlefield  Badgers and Skyrockets, nowhar but Texas!

Skyrockets in flight!  36-14.

2.  Roscoe (9-1) vs Santo (10-1), 7 p.m. Thursday at Cisco  Roscoe lost season opener to Hawley and have plowed everyone else (seewhatIdidthere?).  Santo had one of the most impressive wins in the state last week.

Santo is fucking good, 33-12.

3.  Tenaha (9-2) vs Chilton (9-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Trinity  Tenaha is always good; Chilton is in Mart's district.

Chilton 17-10.

4.  D’Hanis (9-1) vs Eldorado (9-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Del Rio  I really know nothing about 2AD2, but am picking this one because of the KK Steakhouse in D'Hanis and because I once had a cute tennis player from Eldorado in my class who clearly had the hots for me.

Cute tennis player 27, KK Steakhouse 14

Others of note:

Spring 56 Klein Cain 53

Tompkins 42 previously undefeated Jersey Village 14

Wakeland with a huge upset over Highland Park 29-28.

Midlothian with a smaller upset over Lubbock Coronado 21-17

Timberview really punked Ennis 42-21.  Wow.

LBJ 72 PL Calhoun 42

Fred 14 Calallen 10  WTF Nueces RR?

Melissa 50 Midlothian Heritage 41

China Spring 48 Sealy 7

WOS 20 Jasper 7

San Diego 35 Llano 27

Diboll 14 Hallettsville 0 

Those two scores kind of blow up the bottom half of the 3AD1 bracket.

The San Diego/Llano score surprised me.   I might adopt the mighty Vaqueros as my regional team to root for since we are two and done

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I hate that place with a passion, but I'll be there for game 1 Friday.

For a family of four it can cost you $150 easily when  you throw in $14 dollar tickets,  $15 parking , concessions, etc.    I much prefer the outdoor venues even if the weather is cold and I freeze my nuts off.  Yea screw that place. 

Edited by Nueces River Rat

Nope. He walked off the field, which is good, but I have no idea. He got rolled from behind, which kind of sucks. New Braunfels played dirty when things got ugly. And [mention=2291]Helobious[/mention], I heart you, but the Valley teams have a reputation with us that they often lose their cool when things get out-of-hand and let their game degenerate into "personal foul fests." Still, I've never seen anything like what happened in the Euliss Trinity game. When Trinity started losing, they resorted to a ton of personal fouls, and then Westlake started retaliating and adding their own personal foul calls. As the game ended, the teams started to approach each other for a brawl until the coaches broke it up. 
To address the elephant in the room, teams seem to never learn about Westlake. Each year in the playoffs, teams from Houston and Dallas who don't see us up-close, see a bunch of white boys and think they will out-physical, out-speed Westlake. North Shore certainly thought they would just line up and use their physicality (and they were good, running for around 260 yards, but it wasn't enough.) And while Westlake didn't have anyone on their team as big and fast as their RB/WR Shadrach Banks, the OVERALL speed & strength at Westlake is very good. Better to try to out-scheme Westlake, which is what South Lake did and it worked pretty well, as they scored 35 points. 

lol yes two time defending state champion, D1 factory, Todd Dodge coached Westlake is such a scrappy underdog. Jesus.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

We played like shit against Fred last night.   Our Oline looked like a bunch of pussies like the Longhorn Oline.    Fred might be better than their 8-4 record indicates?  We shall see in a couple of weeks when they rematch against LBJ.    They should dog stomp Pleasanton next week. 

I saw Fred earlier in the year -- they completely shut down the run, but Wimberley just threw the ball all over them, so it makes sense that Calallen was a good matchup for them.  They've had some good talent the last several years, but have been horribly inconsistent from week to week.

• Hook 'Em 2

Edinburg Vela up on SA Taft 10-0 at halftime. PJ Rivera from Vela running all over the Raiders. Pretty clear now that all the Northside isd schools sans Brennan were actually really shitty. 

Brennan rolling Los Fresnos 49-0 right now in the 3rd. Brennan’s QB has a 45:1 passing TD to INT ratio this year or something stupid like that.

McMemorial up big on SA Lanier 28-0 at half. I always liked Lanier, them and Harlandale are the only barrio SA schools that get big community support. They’re homies, but they ain’t my homies. Hope the mustangs keep running up the score.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

My kids Ridge Point Panthers cruised into the 3rd round with a early dominating effort from its defense getting up 35-0 with 5:30 left in the 2nd quarter before cruising to a 41-20 win over Cy-Fair. Cy-Fair had all the wheels fall of early with 4 consecutive turnovers including a QB sneak on 3rd-1 that QB fumbled and RP picked up and returned for 50yd TD. O-Line was able to open some big holes and RBs took advantage. QB BJ Emmanuel did his thing again and has now accounted for 43 TDs (rushing/passing) with no interceptions on the season.

Next up my kid get to line up against Atascocita's bowling ball at 6'4" 420lbs (Refrigerator Perry clocked in at 6'2" 335lbs... man kids have gotten bigger as that doesn't seem large anymore).  Atascocita should have lost to Dickenson but kept their composure and just willed themselves to a win. Dickenson played really well but just couldn't hold on. Ridge Point also beat Dickinson by 6pts early in the year in a non-district match-up needing similar plays. Dickenson is a well coached team with athletes all over.

Ridge Point upset Atascocita last year and will be the underdog again this year.  Looking forward to a great post Thanksgiving day football game under the lights at TDECU.

Also looking forward to the Katy / King matchup.  I thought Katy looked like they weren't the same team early in the year, but they have turned it up a couple notches lately. Should be good matchup.

A good friend’s kid is the Cy Fair QB (the sophomore). That’s a crazy young team that’s going to be damn good I think the next 2 years. Anyway my friend - a long time coach - was very impressed by your team he said. Good luck this next week!

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I didn't even know there was a San Diego in this state.  I now see that it is suburban Alice.  <shudder>

Look up  LBJ’s rise in Texas politics and San Diego/ Duval/Jim Wells county played a good part in it.  Yea it’s an ugly town because of the decades of corruption under the Duke of Duval,  but they have some nice high school facilities.  

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Desoto beat Rockwall handily 49-28.

That Desoto week 1 loss to Judson has to be one of weirdest results of the year. Desoto’s only other loss is to Duncanville.

Judson's whole schedule is weird results.  Besides that, they lost to a 2-8 Clemens team.  And beat a 9-2 Smithson Valley team.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Know anything about CC Vets @Nueces River Rat? I don’t really know much about them other than they’re a newer school & have had success in a bunch of sports lately. They play McAllen memorial next weekend.

They won the region last year, got rolled by Cedar Park in the state semis, and then their coach left for a job in Cypress, IIRC.  I think their current coach was the OC last year.  They're like all of the other good large class South Texas teams -- really good offense, but not enough D to make it to Jerryworld.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Know anything about CC Vets @Nueces River Rat? I don’t really know much about them other than they’re a newer school & have had success in a bunch of sports lately. They play McAllen memorial next weekend.

They built their whole first four classes on transfers from all the other CCISD schools  thanks to open enrollment on top what was in their attendance zone and basically became the CCISD all star team.  They closed enrollment and now are basically playing with kids In their own attendance zone or so they say.  The leadership in the CCISD is shady and should’ve been voted out for allowing Vets to raid, Carrol, King and Ray to build up Vets.   Carroll used to be the big dog in the CCISD and I think they’ve won maybe 5 games in the last five years.   Ray and King are not too far behind.  

They didn’t exactly dominate San Antonio Southwest so McMemorial has a good chance. They would also have a legit shot against the winner of GP/Flour Bluff

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Trinity rallied from 10 down to beat Permian 28-17.  I miss @Soul Glo.  

Also found this while searching for the game on youtube:

SoulGlo was a great football fan.   I miss him too.  He would like this year's Cowboys with the improved defense.

24 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

They built their whole first four classes on transfers from all the other CCISD schools  thanks to open enrollment on top what was in their attendance zone and basically became the CCISD all star team.  They closed enrollment and now are basically playing with kids In their own attendance zone or so they say.  The leadership in the CCISD is shady and should’ve been voted out for allowing Vets to raid, Carrol, King and Ray to build up Vets.

To be fair, is it really possible to build an all star team from Carroll, King, and Ray?  I thought everyone worth a shit in CC moved to the Calallen attendance zone? 

45 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

To be fair, is it really possible to build an all star team from Carroll, King, and Ray?  I thought everyone worth a shit in CC moved to the Calallen attendance zone? 

Not everyone.   You have some women who make the decisions and they want to be closer to “town” for all the better shopping and restaurants.   Flour Bluff gets their share thanks to the Island.   The trouble with the CCISD is they have an Alpha Dog Women AD that reall knows jack chit about football and the feeder systems for the CCISD have been a chaotic mess now for a couple of decades.   

59 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

CC Miller says hi. Ever since that new coach got there he’s been recruiting like crazy from what I hear. Also seems like a raging asshole, same cloth as the Refugio coach.

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Vela hangs on to beat Taft 27-24. PJ Rivera might’ve had almost 400 yards rushing. I actually think he’ll be the best RB Vandegrift faces all year, he’s that good. They’re too one dimensional though and I have a hard time thinking Vandy will struggle with them.

I was at the Vandegrift game last night. Steele could not gain any traction with their offense. Shut down the the run and passing game was non existent.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Helobious said:

CC Miller says hi. Ever since that new coach got there he’s been recruiting like crazy from what I hear. Also seems like a raging asshole, same cloth as the Refugio coach.

This is correct.  He actually has three Calallen kids on his roster.   Miller kind of has an Austin LBJ setup where they have a magnet school within the actual shell of the high school called Metro School of Design.  These things allow for easier transfers.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, NIUHuskies said:

I was at the Vandegrift game last night. Steele could not gain any traction with their offense. Shut down the the run and passing game was non existent.

Yeah could be a long night for Vela. I root for them because they’re a valley team but they sure do make it hard sometimes with the conduct from some of their players. That coach definitely likes his team to play with an attitude. Hard to argue with the results. I’ll just be happy to see any non Westlake/LT team win the region. Vandy has no hope against the chaps but maybe Brennan can beat LT.

28 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yeah could be a long night for Vela. I root for them because they’re a valley team but they sure do make it hard sometimes with the conduct from some of their players. That coach definitely likes his team to play with an attitude. Hard to argue with the results. I’ll just be happy to see any non Westlake/LT team win the region. Vandy has no hope against the chaps but maybe Brennan can beat LT.

I was on another forum where someone suggested Judson hire Vela's coach.  Someone immediately said no way, because of 'his off-field problems."  What's that about?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I was on another forum where someone suggested Judson hire Vela's coach.  Someone immediately said no way, because of 'his off-field problems."  What's that about?

He got a DWI in Edinburg a few years ago. And the rumor was that he was run off from SA Madison after one season for fucking an assistant principal.

On 11/19/2021 at 10:39 PM, Beau Vine said:

Best games of the week?  Let's try picking one from each region in each bracket:

6AD1:

1.  Lewisville (10-1) vs Arlington Martin (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Irving  I don't think either of these teams has much of a chance to win the region, but it should be a fun game.

Martin disappoints again.  Freaking Farmers!  35-18.

2.  Rockwall (9-2) vs DeSoto (9-2), 3:15 p.m. Saturday at Arlington  Might be 100+ points in this game.

3.  Humble Atascocita (9-2) vs Dickinson (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Galena Park  Ton of college talent in this game.

Atascocita got a FG with 3 sec left to win 22-21.

4.  Austin Bowie (9-2) vs Smithson Valley (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at San Marcos  Choosing this one because I'm going.

Bowie got a 4th-and-2 stop with 2 minutes left to hold a 28-21 lead.  SV was very unimpressive.  

6AD2:

1.  Denton Guyer (10-1) vs Dallas Jesuit (10-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Frisco  Big test for Jesuit, whose only loss is to Rockwall.  These are probably the two best teams in the region.  

Jesuit fails big test badly, 56-7.

2.  Rockwall-Heath (10-1) vs Temple (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Burleson  Heath has scored 591 points.

Temple kicked FGs, Heath scored TDs.  Heath wins 45-33.

3.  Houston King (9-2) vs Alvin Shadow Creek (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Iowa Colony  Winner probably gets Katy next week.

King is for real!  52-34.

4.  Austin Vandegrift (10-1) vs Cibolo Steele (11-0), 7 p.m. Friday at Schertz  Sorry, Helobious, I nearly picked Taft-Vela.

Maybe the most impressive score of the night -- Vipers 38-0.

5AD1

1.  Colleyville Heritage (10-1) vs Amarillo (9-2), 2 p.m. Saturday at Wichita Falls  This region is hot garbage.

2.  College Station (11-0) vs Frisco Lone Star (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Tyler  Also have Ryan-MagWest 

CS announced their presence with authority, 55-21.  Wow.

3.  Pflugerville Weiss (10-1) vs Manvel (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Bryan  Manvel will probably out-athlete them, but Weiss has won 10 in a row, most of them easily.  

Weiss blew a lead and lost 41-31.

4.  McAllen Memorial (10-1) vs San Antonio Lanier (9-2), 3 p.m. Saturday  Wimberley or Cuero could win this bracket.

5AD2

1.  All 4 games will be blowouts.  Not even going to pick one, because I don't want to bother looking up the score.

2.  Aledo (11-0) vs Frisco Liberty (10-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Denton  Liberty knocked off Lovejoy a couple of weeks ago when LJ was ranked higher than Aledo.

Aledo 57-14.  Got dam!

3.  Texarkana Texas High (10-0) vs Texas City (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Lufkin I have no idea how good the Stingarees are, but the dudes from the northeast are badass.

Texark 31-0.  Is this right?  Someone must have been fucking with the score app earlier...

4.  Liberty Hill (9-2) vs Boerne Champion (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at San Antonio  If it's like any other year, BC's chances of winning will come down to whether the officiating crew is willing to flag the LH offense when they're not set for a full second. 

LH in a walkover 51-14.

4AD1

1.  Dumas (8-2) vs Fort Stockton (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Lubbock  I think Dumas wins this region.

Demons 31-6.

2.  Kennedale (10-1) vs Argyle (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Fort Worth  Kennedale has played a weak schedule and I expect Argyle to win this game and region pretty easily.

Eagles 27-3.

3.  El Campo (10-1) vs Lindale (7-4), 7 p.m. Thursday at Waco  Lindale has gotten it going recently and might give a test to the team I expect to win the region.

Ricebirds 56-42.

4.  Boerne (8-2) vs Corpus Christi Miller (8-3), 7 p.m. Friday at San Antonio  Boerne always seems to underachieve relative to their talent, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get in a shootout here and lose.

Boerne made it look easy -- 63-14.

4AD2

1.  Sweetwater (8-3) vs Aubrey (10-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Stephenville  Aubrey has put up excellent records two years in a row, but Sweetwater has played a much tougher schedule.

The Chaps may be for real.  42-7.  Wow.

2.  Glen Rose (10-1) vs Texarkana Pleasant Grove (6-5), 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Frisco  Lots of people getting payback on PG this season, but I don't know if GR is good enough to take them.

3.  Bellville (11-0) vs Rusk (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Waco  Bellville is really good, and I think their running game grinds up the Eagles in spite of the McCown kid and stork's nephew.  I hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately, I wasn't wrong -- Brahmas 41-20.  

4.  Cuero (10-1) vs Rockport-Fulton (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Victoria  R-F runs that old-school offense that they might need to slow down the Gobblers.

Cuero 55-27, which sets up a showdown with Wimberley (won 66-0) next week.

3AD1

1.  Shallowater (9-2) vs Early (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Clyde  It seems like either Early or Brownwood can be good, but not both at the same time.  Odd...

Shallowater 42-14.

2.  Gladewater (8-2) vs Grandview (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Royse City  This seems like one of the best regions in the state, every year.

The Zebras go down hard for the first time in years, 49-21.

3.  Columbus (9-2) vs Anahuac (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Houston  Columbus probably wins this easily, but Anahuac won a game last week that I didn't expect.

Anuhuac gave them a good game, but Cardinals close, 42-34.

4.  London (10-0) vs Lago Vista (7-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Somerset  Probably 4 blowouts in this region, but let's see if CCL can back up that record.

CC London was a fake, lost 34-0.

3AD2

1.  Stanton (5-6) vs Brady (7-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Wall  The other 3 games will be walkovers.  Stanton pulled the upset of the week last week and I suspect they'll handle Brady to even their record. 

Brady probably didn't expect to be in round 3, but they are, 21-13.

2.  Holliday (11-0) vs Leonard (8-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Krum  I'll be honest, I'm pretty amused by a football playoff game at Krum.

Holiday remains unbeaten 35-28.

3.  Daingerfield (9-2) vs Elysian Fields (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Tatum  Most even matchup in a region with several state contenders.

56-14 Dangerfield

4.  Poth (9-1) vs East Bernard (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Bastrop  Poth always seems good but can never get over the hump.  EB always just Wing-Ts people to death.

Shocker -- 41-14 Poth

2AD1

1.  New Deal (10-1) vs Forsan (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Colorado City  Best game out west this week, all levels.

New Deal 28-24

2.  Cooper (11-0) vs Tolar (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Denton  Tolar's losses are to 3A Dublin and juggernaut Crawford.

Tolar's no longer undefeated 35-24.

3.  Beckville (11-0) vs Hearne (8-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Murphy  I would not be surprised if Hearne wins this.

Hearn did not win.  50-31 Beckville

4.  La Villa (9-2) vs Ganado (6-5), 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Corpus  Ganado has played a much tougher schedule, so they're probably favored, but either will be cannon fodder for Refugio next week.  And here's your RGV team, Helo.

Ganado 60-23.

2AD2

1.  McCamey (9-1) vs Wellington (7-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Littlefield  Badgers and Skyrockets, nowhar but Texas!

Skyrockets in flight!  36-14.

2.  Roscoe (9-1) vs Santo (10-1), 7 p.m. Thursday at Cisco  Roscoe lost season opener to Hawley and have plowed everyone else (seewhatIdidthere?).  Santo had one of the most impressive wins in the state last week.

Santo is fucking good, 33-12.

3.  Tenaha (9-2) vs Chilton (9-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Trinity  Tenaha is always good; Chilton is in Mart's district.

Chilton 17-10.

4.  D’Hanis (9-1) vs Eldorado (9-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Del Rio  I really know nothing about 2AD2, but am picking this one because of the KK Steakhouse in D'Hanis and because I once had a cute tennis player from Eldorado in my class who clearly had the hots for me.

Cute tennis player 27, KK Steakhouse 14

Others of note:

Spring 56 Klein Cain 53

Tompkins 42 previously undefeated Jersey Village 14

Wakeland with a huge upset over Highland Park 29-28.

Midlothian with a smaller upset over Lubbock Coronado 21-17

Timberview really punked Ennis 42-21.  Wow.

LBJ 72 PL Calhoun 42

Fred 14 Calallen 10  WTF Nueces RR?

Melissa 50 Midlothian Heritage 41

China Spring 48 Sealy 7

WOS 20 Jasper 7

San Diego 35 Llano 27

Diboll 14 Hallettsville 0 

Those two scores kind of blow up the bottom half of the 3AD1 bracket.

Well Bellville is a damn good team.  Very disciplined and well coached.  Two really good running backs and a good defense.  Held my nephew to his lowest total for the year.  They were the better team no doubt. Unfortunately Rusk didn’t play well and part of that was because their opponent made it very tough on them.  For some reason Rusk’s OC had a lot of slow developing plays and the QB was running for his life most of the game.  The Rusk Oline just couldn’t give him enough time.  Tough game for Rusk.  I will say that the Bellville players showed great sportsmanship throughout the game.   After the game one of the linebackers covering my nephew told him that Bellville game planed against him all week and it showed.   You never want to lose to an inferior opponent but I can say Bellville was the better team.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Carroll beat the shit out of Leegacy, didnt stay till the end. Not too impressed with the Globe Life setup for football, although they had a little carnival type thing outside of Texas Live that was fun for the kids

Whichever team is on the outfield side of the field has fans a long ass way from the field. Went a few weeks ago to Army-AirForce at Globe-Life and we had 50 yard line seats but were a long way from the sideline.  It was cool to do it once.  Wouldn't want to see it on the regular, especially with generally smaller crowds and losing that feel of the high school game.  Son  went to Army-UConn( I think) at Yankee Stadium a few years ago and said it was awkward also.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Whichever team is on the outfield side of the field has fans a long ass way from the field. Went a few weeks ago to Army-AirForce at Globe-Life and we had 50 yard line seats but were a long way from the sideline.  It was cool to do it once.  Wouldn't want to see it on the regular, especially with generally smaller crowds and losing that feel of the high school game.  Son  went to Army-UConn( I think) at Yankee Stadium a few years ago and said it was awkward also.

I really don’t get what the deal is now to play football games at baseball stadiums.  I thought the idea of building separate stadiums in NFL/MLB cities starting back in the 1990s was to eliminate the awkward seating configurations , etc?  

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 1

Texas High and Port Neches Grove are playing in Natchitoches. Always fun when Texas teams play a playoff game in Louisiana. Reminds me when Marshall made Highland Park go play in Shreveport - that was hilarious. 

I believe THS played HP in Shreveport in the early 2000s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

How good is Brennan?  My kids are current and former Bowie attendees.  Brennan has steamrolled a lot of teams but I don’t see any really good teams on their schedule so…

They’re pretty good with good athletes all over the field. They like to throw it and they have a good QB, and I believe his top WR is his twin brother. So if the Bowie D can stop psychic connections or whatever they’re in good shape. Bowie has definitely played the tougher schedule, so we’ll see what Brennan is really made out of I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1