2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I placed a wager on a korean baseball game.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

No.  It was clearly an act of desperation.  I took the dog because the pitcher’s stats looked decent to me.

This is like coffee-table book worthy if we ever did a "best of Surly"

2 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
3 minutes ago, ztejas said:
I think it's just amazing to have the NBA back. The NBA without 10,000+ in the stands is not the NBA. I hated it all year. 

The crowd definitely helps and there have been some great and surprising games.

I think my biggest issue was the best players with zero crowd noise are not the best players with 20,000 in the stands in the playoffs. 

So you had guys like Mitchell and Murray dropping 50 multiple times in the playoffs which they'd never do under normal circumstances. 

Edited by ztejas

This is going to sound kind of stupid and cheesy and off-brand for this site but I'm actually in a pretty difficult place in my life right now and this reincarnation of the NBA Playoffs has kind of settled me in a lot of ways. It's a really welcome distraction - especially with Durant back healthy and in contention.

So if I'm posting 12 times a page in this thread or sharing where I sided every game I guess I'm just excited and happy that this shit is back. I'm guessing the ratings so far are blowing last year out of the water. I'm guessing a lot of people like me missed this shit. A lot in this thread have already admitted as much. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

So anyway - I'm trying to think of the last player that was as talented as Westbrook yet as big of a fraud in the playoffs. 

Also Philly is badass. I'm thinking Philly/Nets ECF and until I see more ball I honestly think it's a toss-up. 

(Actually I don't because KD but it would be fun) 

Edited by ztejas

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So anyway - I'm trying to think of the last player that was as talented as Westbrook yet as big of a fraud in the playoffs. 

Harden, Game 6 vs Spurs in 2017.  

One of the biggest surprises during the NBA playoffs was the San Antonio Spurs defeating the Houston Rockets without Kawhi Leonard and Tony Parker in the West Semifinals.  

With both Leonard and Parker missing, many expected Houston to extend the series to force a Game 7 in San Antonio. However, LaMarcus Aldridge posted 34 points and 12 rebounds, while Jonathon Simmons added 18 points to lead the Spurs to an emphatic 114-75 victory.

James Harden received heavy criticism for not being able to step up with the odds heavily in his team's favor. Instead, he finished the game with only 10 points, seven assists and three rebounds.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Harden, Game 6 vs Spurs in 2017.  

One of the biggest surprises during the NBA playoffs was the San Antonio Spurs defeating the Houston Rockets without Kawhi Leonard and Tony Parker in the West Semifinals.  

With both Leonard and Parker missing, many expected Houston to extend the series to force a Game 7 in San Antonio. However, LaMarcus Aldridge posted 34 points and 12 rebounds, while Jonathon Simmons added 18 points to lead the Spurs to an emphatic 114-75 victory.

James Harden received heavy criticism for not being able to step up with the odds heavily in his team's favor. Instead, he finished the game with only 10 points, seven assists and three rebounds.

Yeah... Harden's a slightly better player but you kind of nailed it. I spoke too soon.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Ja Morant or Trae Young next 10 years go. 

Nate has coached Trae out of thinking he's equal to Curry and it has improved his game tremendously.  He's even trying more on the defensive end.  But I'll take Ja.  Think his upside is higher than Trae.     

• Hook 'Em 2

What's the story?
Just what he's been able to do in such a short time as the Sun's GM. I didn't even know he was there. He's making the most of his opportunity. Especially with that owner.

I was a finance major in college; banking would have been my path," Jones said. "And Robert was a banker and a guy who knew finance. So there was a baseline interest on my part to understand what he did and understand who he is."

The rebuild was quick.

Jones, then working below former Suns GM Ryan McDonough, was part of the group that drafted center Deandre Ayton with the top pick, then took wing player Cameron Johnson at No. 10 and traded for another wing, Mikal Bridges. The draft night haul gave Devin Booker, who'd already proved himself to be a gifted scorer, young talent to grow with.

McDonough was fired eight days before the 2018-19 season began and Jones worked as the interim GM before getting the full-time promotion in April 2019. Less than a month later, Jones hired Williams, who had coached as an assistant when Jones played a lone season for the Portland Trail Blazers in 2007-08, to man the sidelines after Williams walked away from the interview process with the Lakers.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HookEm said:

I love watching great young players arrive on the national scene

yup, this weekend was full of it.  i'm sure the end will be the old guard (kd, lebron, kawhi), but it was awesome seeing all the young guys ball out this weekend.  hopefully it keeps up for at least the entirety of the first round.

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Ja Morant or Trae Young next 10 years go. 

Barring injury it's Ja. His athleticism is unreal.

6 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

yup, this weekend was full of it.  i'm sure the end will be the old guard (kd, lebron, kawhi), but it was awesome seeing all the young guys ball out this weekend.  hopefully it keeps up for at least the entirety of the first round.

At this point I'll be shocked if the Lakers make it to the Finals. The last two games Lebron has just not had that ability to physically dominate like he always has. No explosion in his legs. If his shoulder is fucked up even a little that's just one more limitation.

Also, I don't know why they're pretending CP3 had a shoulder injury. He got Colt McCoy'd. Him being back out there trying to play through, while it paid off, was stupid.

Edited by Llogg

7 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Barring injury it's Ja. His athleticism is unreal.

At this point I'll be shocked if the Lakers make it to the Finals. The last two games Lebron has just not had that ability to physically dominate like he always has. No explosion in his legs. If his shoulder is fucked up even a little that's just one more limitation.

Also, I don't know why they're pretending CP3 had a shoulder injury. He got Colt McCoy'd. Him being back out there trying to play through, while it paid off, was stupid.

Too soon.

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Just what he's been able to do in such a short time as the Sun's GM. I didn't even know he was there. He's making the most of his opportunity. Especially with that owner.

Agreed. He's done a good job in a short period of time. Signing Chris Paul looks to be a great move short term, but I wonder what they could have been if they had taken Doncic. The Suns have squandered so many draft picks that it's embarrassing. 

2012 - #13 Kendall Marshall (who?)

2013 - #5 Alex Len (journeyman); they also had #30 that they traded for garbage

2014 - #14 TJ Warren (actually decent, but then they overpaid him and dumped his salary); #18 Tyler Ennis (out of the league); #27 Bogdan Bogdonovic 

2015 #13 Devin Booker (blind squirrel, meet nut)

2016 #4 Dragan Bender (woof, out of the league); they also had #13 and #28 in that draft and traded them along with Bogdan Bogdanovic and a second round pick that turned out to be Xavier Tillman on draft night for Marquese Chriss (pick #8), who is almost out of the league now. That wasn't a great draft to begin with but you've got to try really hard to fuck something like that up that badly.

2017 #4 Josh Jackson (an epic, epic bust now trying to redeem himself in Detroit)

2018 #1 Deandre Ayton (solid and improving player, but if they take Doncic, he and Booker make them title contenders for a decade); they also drafted Zaire Smith #16 and traded him to get Bridges (great move) but also had to move another first rounder to do so.

2019 #6 Jarett Culver who they traded to Minn for Saric and Cam Johnson, which seems like a great move

2020 #10 Jalen Smith - just a fucking retarded, indefensible move not to draft Tyrese Halliburton

Now, I'm sure there are some trades and picks that I missed, but that is just a pitiful track record. 15 first round picks in 9 years including 4 of them in the top five of the draft; 6 in the top 10. That is almost Philly process level tanking, except they did it through sheer incompetence. They should be one of the most talented teams in the league.

9 hours ago, WJC88 said:

Nate has coached Trae out of thinking he's equal to Curry and it has improved his game tremendously.  He's even trying more on the defensive end.  But I'll take Ja.  Think his upside is higher than Trae.     

how has his game changed?  i haven't been watching.