2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately for Phoenix CP3 with one arm is still a top 20 PG. 

If AD doesn't play better Lakers could be in some deep shit. That ankle was really bothering LeBron - they can't expect him to score 35 every game. 

I'm getting a weird feeling the Nets might just 2017 Warriors this thing. (Actually 2001 Lakers is a much better example)

Edited by ztejas

30 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I took the Hawks in this one and towards the end of the 3rd quarter I remembered that Nate McMillian is coaching them now so I've just kind of given up on that bet.

Cashed. Helps relieve some of my golf losses from this week. 

Nate McMillan in the playoffs vs. the Knicks being the Knicks.... down to the wire like it was always going to be. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Surly NBAers - who would you rather have on the books for $45M/yr - Randle or Jayson Tatum? 

Or a 26 year old DeMar DeRozan. 

None of the above?  I don’t think you can win a title with any of those guys as your lead dog and paying them that much means you can’t afford an ensemble cast. 
if you put a gun to my head and made me pick them Tatum bc it’s possible he has another level I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

None of the above?  I don’t think you can win a title with any of those guys as your lead dog and paying them that much means you can’t afford an ensemble cast. 
if you put a gun to my head and made me pick them Tatum bc it’s possible he has another level I guess. 

I'd go Tatum too.

I still don't like his contract. But it probably isn't top 5 worst things Ainge has done lately.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Surly NBAers - who would you rather have on the books for $45M/yr - Randle or Jayson Tatum? 

Or a 26 year old DeMar DeRozan. 

I would prefer to have no player on my books for 45/yr.  That's not really a way to win.  Regardless, the question really boils down to who would you rather have.  Tatum, definitely.  He's 4 years younger and as nice a story as Randle is, not sure Randle could even be a #2 on a championship roster.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I would prefer to have no player on my books for 45/yr.  That's not really a way to win.  Regardless, the question really boils down to who would you rather have.  Tatum, definitely.  He's 4 years younger and as nice a story as Randle is, not sure Randle could even be a #2 on a championship roster.

If you can have one of the top 3 or 5 guys at $45 you do that. If they are the apex they can get you to a 5-15% probability of winning a title and that’s worth doing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

yea, last year was brutal and shouldn't even count, they should have called that shit off

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, but people really needed some sports to watch on tv, and I’m grateful the nba provided it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If you can have one of the top 3 or 5 guys at $45 you do that. If they are the apex they can get you to a 5-15% probability of winning a title and that’s worth doing. 

Lebron.  Maybe KD, although I'm suspect.  That's the list.  Jordan would have been worth anything in his prime but beyond that, not sure I agree.

14 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Lebron.  Maybe KD, although I'm suspect.  That's the list.  Jordan would have been worth anything in his prime but beyond that, not sure I agree.

Um. What dude? KD is already making $39M this year. And Brooklyn are the title favorites because of it. 

Do you not realize what top guys are getting paid right now?

Maybe if the NBA had a hard cap I'd agree but they don't. Plenty of guys in recent years have been worth 45. KD and LeBron obviously. Steph. Kawhi. Giannis. 

Edited by ztejas

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Harden had the rockets on the verge of beating the warriors with CP3 but he gave them a pinchers chance at winning a title. Leonard would have been worth 45 million to Toronto easily.  The list is small but it goes slightly beyond LeBron and KD. It certainly doesn’t remotely approach the Tatum tier. 
45 million is what- 35% of the cap?  I’d give that to Lebron, Durant, Harden, Embiid, Joker. All those guys (other than KD) are sturdy and durable. All those guys have had teams positioned to win at a high level without another Top 10 player which is what I need to see before I’d invest 35% of my cap. 
Probably still Leonard this offseason, but I’m not sure he’s sturdy enough or still good enough on defense. 
oh- and Luka. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Harden had the rockets on the verge of beating the warriors with CP3 but he gave them a pinchers chance at winning a title. Leonard would have been worth 45 million to Toronto easily.  The list is small but it goes slightly beyond LeBron and KD. It certainly doesn’t remotely approach the Tatum tier. 
45 million is what- 35% of the cap?  I’d give that to Lebron, Durant, Harden, Embiid, Joker. All those guys (other than KD) are sturdy and durable. All those guys have had teams positioned to win at a high level without another Top 10 player which is what I need to see before I’d invest 35% of my cap. 
Probably still Leonard this offseason, but I’m not sure he’s sturdy enough or still good enough on defense. 
oh- and Luka. 
Solid point except for Embiid being durable.

Randle is killing the Knicks more than anyone on the Hawks.

7 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Solid point except for Embiid being durable.

Randle is killing the Knicks more than anyone on the Hawks.

Yes on Embiid. He seems like a guy who could some day be durable but maybe he’s too big. I’d bet on that talent maybe putting a team on his back and winning one ala Hakeem. Not saying he will but it’s conceivable. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

oh- and Luka. 

Harden was making 28m that year and Houston shortly fell off a cliff.  Steph made 34m last time he won a ship.  The cap didn't move much the last year.  It's not expected to move much next season.  Lebron won it last year at 37m.  

Now the question in itself is pretty stupid, as there are a lot of moving parts to the question.  If you're an owner, are you willing to pay tax?  How about that 2nd year?  How much?  What does the revenue stream look like, etc, etc.  But 45m is still about 20% over the most expensive player to every win a championship.  That guy also happens to be the 2nd best player of the modern era.  Plenty of guys deserve to be paid, but typically it happens after their peaks.

45 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, but people really needed some sports to watch on tv, and I’m grateful the nba provided it.

man I tried, of course being a Rockets fan I hate basketball but I just couldn't watch it, really haven't watched it much yet now. I caught some of the Knick's game and the crowd noise was great.

20 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

But 45m is still about 20% over the most expensive player to every win a championship.  That guy also happens to be the 2nd best player of the modern era.

That doesn't matter and isn't the point. You don't think the Nets or Lakers owners would cut Durant or LeBron a check for $6M-$8M if they had to? Of course they would. Someone did an analysis on this a few years back and found that if you look at expected wins basically all the top 5-10 guys in the league were clearly worth more than they were being paid. You're just being silly and pedantic about this. Especially by bringing up past data as max contracts and the cap continues to rise and the dollar continues to weaken. 

Are you going to tell me KD on the books for $41 million next year is a bad contract? No. Of course it isn't. Just pretend I said $40M instead of $45M if you need to. 

Here are all the NBA teams that won a title without LeBron or Durant since 2012 when LeBron and Durant were both healthy:

2014 Spurs 

Hmmmm....

Do me a favor and watch Kevin Durant play defense every possession next game when the Nets don't have the ball and then tell me he isn't worth his contract. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1