2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

12 minutes ago, d2o said:

Was wondering this too.   Luka cries CONSTANTLY.   I get he's on your team but cmon

He absolutely does. It gets annoying as hell. But he's a great player so you learn to deal with it. I don't mind it until he whines and does not get back on defense. I feel if you whine too much, the refs hold that shit against you. 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's been a huge success.   It's made for some relatively competitive games with lower level teams raising their profiles even its temporary before they are led to slaughter.   The Lakers obviously are the exception so most yrs wont be like that.

Edited by d2o

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Anyone remember when P, whilst trying to see how deep he could throat Lebron's cock, said Steph Curry is easy to shut down? And all you have to do is put a tall guy on him?

LOL just randomly remembered that.

Those were good times. In his defense, maybe he meant Scottie Pippen?

8 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Damn, I totally forgot about that guy. Just a pure, unabashed LeBron-stan. Like he was probably totally buying that LBJ was “seeing 3 baskets” the other night. Incredible.

He's still around as thatguy. Posted a couple pages back I think. In his (actual) defense, pretty sure half of his Steph hot takes were just to troll me...very successfully I might add.

On 5/20/2021 at 10:38 AM, InkaUtexas said:

I don't think the on the court and off the court respect is there for Lebron and Steph.

image.png.57c0385d32e179d557c683c035fef7b7.png

And lets not forget you can add MJ to the mix for the best basketball team ever assembled. 

image.png.8246e334933d9e7cd3daece1c6298453.png

2 hours ago, d2o said:

It's been a huge success.   It's made for some relatively competitive games with lower level teams raising their profiles even its temporary before they are led to slaughter.   The Lakers obviously are the exception so most yrs wont be like that.

Agreed. It doesn't completely fix the teams truly tanking at the bottom of the standings, but in addition to it giving those 9th - 12th place teams something to play for, it makes the 5th - 8th place teams try to stay out of the play-in. They definitely lucked out with that Golden State-Lakers match but I can imagine scenarios in the future with teams that have stars injured early in the season coming back late to try to push into the playoffs.

I do think they need to tweak the lottery odds a little bit more though to discourage more teams from tanking. The Pelicans and Kings clearly weren't interested in making the playoffs but both only finished two games behind the Spurs, yet will have almost 2.5x chance to get into the top 4. Indiana finished one game behind the Spurs, and their top 4 chances are almost half of that of the Spurs. None of that seems right to me. 

On 5/20/2021 at 8:53 AM, conVINCEd said:

While that is certainly true, Luka is very engaging.  He seems like he is having fun when he is not whining.  Giannis either has no personality, or is reluctant to show his personality.  

Where are you getting this? Luka's interviews are about as dry as possible with variations of one word answers or playing harder alternating back and forth. Giannis displays 10x the personality of Luka which is understandable given the fact that he's now been here 7 or 8 years 

35 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Thank you for the Respect! 

Oh, I hated those fucking 80's Celtics teams with a passion.  But respected the hell out of them.  As they did us.  Such a great rivalry.  2 totally different teams, but equally badass.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Also, those numbers show the nba gets so much more attention and hype than it deserves as a function of actual eyeballs. Less than 7 million with their marque franchise against their marque super star?  You know who shits all over that in a similar situation?  Baseball. You know whose a 10 billion dollar league while the NBA is half that size?  Baseball. You know who puts double the amount of people in their buildings while having twice as much inventory?  Baseball. You know whose considered to be a dying sport and whose considered ascendant?  Baseball/basketball respectively. 
I love both sports. If I knew knowing about the numbers, revenue or attendance I would assume that basketball was the clear number 2 sport and closing in on the NFL. It’s not. 

So you're telling me the sport with bigger stadiums and more games has more total people come to their games.  [West African accent]I can't believe it[/West African accent]

And basketball dwarfs baseball when you expand the universe outside the borders of the United States. That being said are you certain that 1st round playoff baseball games on basic cable routinely surpass that 7 million number.  I'd like to see proof of that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Also, those numbers show the nba gets so much more attention and hype than it deserves as a function of actual eyeballs. Less than 7 million with their marque franchise against their marque super star?  You know who shits all over that in a similar situation?  Baseball. You know whose a 10 billion dollar league while the NBA is half that size?  Baseball. You know who puts double the amount of people in their buildings while having twice as much inventory?  Baseball. You know whose considered to be a dying sport and whose considered ascendant?  Baseball/basketball respectively. 
I love both sports. If I knew knowing about the numbers, revenue or attendance I would assume that basketball was the clear number 2 sport and closing in on the NFL. It’s not. 

dude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Oh, I hated those fucking 80's Celtics teams with a passion.  But respected the hell out of them.  As they did us.  Such a great rivalry.  2 totally different teams, but equally badass.

1984. We were stuck in a hotel in DC. Mom had to study so she kicks me and my brother out of the room. We go to Springfield Mall and into either the sears or jc penny's to watch the final. What a damn match up. 

Same here. I can never wear Laker's yellow but won't talk shit about them. well maybe Lebron. 

• Haha 1

On 5/20/2021 at 8:53 AM, conVINCEd said:

While that is certainly true, Luka is very engaging.  He seems like he is having fun when he is not whining.  Giannis either has no personality, or is reluctant to show his personality.  

It's Luka's game not his personality that will ultimately make him a popular player. He's cold as fuck, has handles, and an entertaining style of play that is fun to watch. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

50 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

1984. We were stuck in a hotel in DC. Mom had to study so she kicks me and my brother out of the room. We go to Springfield Mall and into either the sears or jc penny's to watch the final. What a damn match up. 

Same here. I can never wear Laker's yellow but won't talk shit about them. well maybe Lebron. 

One of my great sports regrets was never going up to Boston to try and catch a Celtics from that era.  Hell, I never event went down to SA to see them at Hemisfair or the Alamodome.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The key to a Warriors run out tonight imo is getting Brooks into foul trouble. If Brooks isn't in foul trouble, Memphis has a chance. Brooks is going to be in Steph's jock early. Draymond is going to need to be the facilitator and he will have to step up and score 8-10 points. 

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

So you're telling me the sport with bigger stadiums and more games has more total people come to their games.  [West African accent]I can't believe it[/West African accent]

And basketball dwarfs baseball when you expand the universe outside the borders of the United States. That being said are you certain that 1st round playoff baseball games on basic cable routinely surpass that 7 million number.  I'd like to see proof of that. 

The reason they build basketball arenas with 17k and baseball stadiums at 45k is because that’s how many people, respectively, want to go to the games typically. 
baseballs numbers are down just like basketball. I don’t believe the nba finals has ever outdrawn the World Series, not comparable first rounds out drawing the others. Baseballs regional tv numbers are better, typically than basketball regional numbers. 
as to your point about world interest... maybe?  But the nba is still way behind in overall size of the pie monetarily. 

23 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The reason they build basketball arenas with 17k and baseball stadiums at 45k is because that’s how many people, respectively, want to go to the games typically. 
baseballs numbers are down just like basketball. I don’t believe the nba finals has ever outdrawn the World Series, not comparable first rounds out drawing the others. Baseballs regional tv numbers are better, typically than basketball regional numbers. 
as to your point about world interest... maybe?  But the nba is still way behind in overall size of the pie monetarily. 

Uh... A basketball court is 94 feet by 50 feet vs a baseball field that has a minimum distance of 400 feet between home plate and the center field fence. They build the stadium to fit the playing area. Trust me, I've seen more nba games in a football stadium (alamo dome) and than I care to remember, and the sight lines are shit. If you can figure out how to get 50,000 people around a 4700 square foot court where you can actually be any where close to the action and see what the fuck is going on, then you are much smarter than every other person who has ever designed a basketball stadium. I've been to the united center which I believe is the biggest in the league, and it is just a monster, and I can't imagine how awful those seats are at the top of it. We were in a lower level suite and I still felt far away from the action. How big do you think they could have built that stadium when MJ was playing that they couldn't sell it out every night? I promise you if they could have, they would have. 

• Hook 'Em 4

37 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Basketball stadiums are better as smaller, more intimate arenas. Take it from someone who went to games in the Alamo Done. It fucking sucked. Baseball requires a huge field. Wait, why am I arguing this? You really think that the reason basketball stadiums are small is because less people want to go?

Edited by Kermit
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Uh... A basketball court is 94 feet by 50 feet vs a baseball field that has a minimum distance of 400 feet between home plate and the center field fence. They build the stadium to fit the playing area. Trust me, I've seen more nba games in a football stadium (alamo dome) and than I care to remember, and the sight lines are shit. If you can figure out how to get 50,000 people around a 4700 square foot court where you can actually be any where close to the action and see what the fuck is going on, then you are much smarter than every other person who has ever designed a basketball stadium. I've been to the united center which I believe is the biggest in the league, and it is just a monster, and I can't imagine how awful those seats are at the top of it. We were in a lower level suite and I still felt far away from the action. How big do you think they could have built that stadium when MJ was playing that they couldn't sell it out every night? I promise you if they could have, they would have. 

It’s not like the nba sells out every game though, that’s the thing. There just aren’t any baseball teams (pre pandemic or weird situations) averaging less than 15k. 
I’m season ticket holder for astros and have had rockets season tickets. Demand is way higher for stros (when Harden has them as title contenders so comparing like v like- not this years abomination). 
So Yeah- based upon TV numbers and radio numbers and the like yeah- I think there is less demand for hoops. By a fair bit.  I’m not suggesting they’d build domes for it- but if they thought they could sell out 20 or 24k seat arenas they’d build them that size. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

22 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Not a Warriors fan by any means but watching Curry >>> watching the Grizzlies in the 1st round. At least they have a puncher's chance against Utah. 

If by "puncher's chance" you mean might be able to backdoor their way into a Game 6 in a series that's never in doubt, sure.

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

He’s a smaller Russ with a better attitude.  Hopefully he is able to stay healthy, because he doesn’t seem terribly concerned about his health when attacking the rim.  

Yea he doesn't seem long for the NBA world with his style of play which makes my heart softer for him as well. He's a fast burning, brilliant comet. Better to burn out than to fade away, I guess.

2 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Yea he doesn't seem long for the NBA world with his style of play which makes my heart softer for him as well. He's a fast burning, brilliant comet. Better to burn out than to fade away, I guess.

Guys can learn.  Jordan had zero regard for his long term health his first few years in the league.  He just tried to dunk on anyone and everyone.