2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

16 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
58 minutes ago, HookEm said:
Jordan was an asshole but he was also cool af. His whole persona was cool. LeBron’s persona is crybaby.

Many of the biggest stars in the NBA right now aren’t that likable. LeBron = crybaby, Durant = snake, Kyrie = flat earther, Kawhi = Judas, Giannis = foreign, AD = boring, Harden = annoying, PG3 = playoff P, Westbrook = stat chaser, CP3 = asshole, Gobert = pandemic starter

IMO, the coolest guys in the NBA are Dame, Tatum, Curry, Luka, Zion. Maybe throw Jimmy Butler in there too. Klay when he’s healthy.

So Giannis isn't likable because he's foreign? Yet you name Luka, who is also foreign and also whines constantly.

While that is certainly true, Luka is very engaging.  He seems like he is having fun when he is not whining.  Giannis either has no personality, or is reluctant to show his personality.  

• Like 1

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foreign is probably the wrong description for why I don’t like Giannis. Boring is probably better. His personality isn’t engaging and I hate his style of play. Kind of like Tim Duncan but way worse. Duncan leaned into his workman brand and it appealed to some people. Plus he was a huge winner, which helps. Giannis not so much.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Foreign is probably the wrong description for why I don’t like Giannis. Boring is probably better. His personality isn’t engaging and I hate his style of play. Kind of like Tim Duncan but way worse. Duncan leaned into his workman brand and it appealed to some people. Plus he was a huge winner, which helps. Giannis not so much.

These are weird posts

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

Jordan was an asshole but he was also cool af. His whole persona was cool. LeBron’s persona is crybaby.

This is pretty much the last remaining "issue" I have with LeBron. I've come to really respect his greatness on the court, particularly his longevity of greatness, and consider him alone as the second greatest basketball player ever. He very well may play 5 more years and win 2 more titles to tie Jordan, and he almost assuredly will beat Kareem's point total. I'm sure he's a better person than Jordan, but his cheesy persona and whining personality on the court are just off putting in a competitive landscape.  And the fact is that, resumes aside, anyone who watched Jordan and LeBron would pick Jordan 10 times out of 10 to win a game or series. Every fucking time. He will never match the greatness of MJ.

One thing I am interested in from a historical perspective is whether we will look back at the last decade as a "LeBron and Steph" decade, similar to Magic and Bird, even though Durant was objectively a better player than Steph when they played together. I think we will. 

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

This is pretty much the last remaining "issue" I have with LeBron.

that, plus the fact that he still can't shoot FTs, particularly in clutch situations. if i were to rank all of the true superstars to ever play the game in terms of who i'd want shooting FTs with the game/title on the line, LeBron would be a helluva lot closer to Shaq on that list than he would be to MJ, Bird, Steph, etc. it's frankly uncanny how many insane shots he's made from the field in the clutch (like last night) when the guy cannot hit late game FTs.

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

One thing I am interested in from a historical perspective is whether we will look back at the last decade as a "LeBron and Steph" decade, similar to Magic and Bird, even though Durant was objectively a better player than Steph when they played together. I think we will. 

I don't think the on the court and off the court respect is there for Lebron and Steph.

image.png.57c0385d32e179d557c683c035fef7b7.png

And lets not forget you can add MJ to the mix for the best basketball team ever assembled. 

image.png.8246e334933d9e7cd3daece1c6298453.png

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

These are weird posts

Yea, sort of just ignorant posts.  Feels like they don't know much about Giannis and his off court personality thus he's boring.  Texas folk know Luka, I would wager a few of them are Mavericks fans so Luka is awesome.  Personally, I like them both but basketball fans around the nation like Luka, but definitely think he's whiny.  He's perpetuated that brand this year, whether he meant to or not.  He's still liked though.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

image.png.57c0385d32e179d557c683c035fef7b7.png

Being on the quarter system in college, 3rd qtr finals always hit during the NBA finals.  With the Lakers in the finals in '87, '88. and '89, it did not improve my GPA.  I remember one final being blisteringly hungover.  Sociology I believe.  It was all I could do not to puke in my seat.  I was sweating alcohol out of my pores.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yea, sort of just ignorant posts.  Feels like they don't know much about Giannis and his off court personality thus he's boring.  Texas folk know Luka, I would wager a few of them are Mavericks fans so Luka is awesome.  Personally, I like them both but basketball fans around the nation like Luka, but definitely think he's whiny.  He's perpetuated that brand this year, whether he meant to or not.  He's still liked though.

like 80% of foreign players are super whiny and dramatic because they grow up playing soccer and adopting that culture. did you see Bertans against the Celtics the other night? grabbing his face and staying down on the ground like he'd been shot, when in reality nothing happened and he was totally fine. whining and flopping and arguing with officials is so pervasive in soccer compared to American sports. i doubt a single MLB umpire or NBA referee could handle one match as a soccer official with the amount of whining/arguing/screaming/gesticulating/etc that those guys deal with on a daily basis. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

like 80% of foreign players are super whiny and dramatic because they grow up playing soccer and adopting that culture. did you see Bertans against the Celtics the other night? grabbing his face and staying down on the ground like he'd been shot, when in reality nothing happened and he was totally fine. whining and flopping and arguing with officials is so pervasive in soccer compared to American sports. i doubt a single MLB umpire or NBA referee could handle one match as a soccer official with the amount of whining/arguing/screaming/gesticulating/etc that those guys deal with on a daily basis. 

Baseball doesn’t have the same problems but that’s mainly because it’s not a contact sport. Those umps take plenty of bullshit though. That said I agree with you. It’s interesting that I don’t see Giannis do much of that like a lot of the other euros and I wonder why that is.

22 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Is the Warriors/Lakers play-in game going to be the highest rated game of the season if the Finals is any permutation other than Lakers/Nets?

21 hours ago, ztejas said:

Username checks out. 

But - just for shits and giggles - if it actually is the highest rated game and Lakers/Nets isn't the Finals I'll venmo you $50.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Oh, hi there.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Do you want to go prop on this? I'd bet you a lot that that number gets broken before the Finals. The Nets and Knicks are both in the playoffs. 

Casual and fringe fans don't care about the Nets (until they're playing LeBron) or Knicks. They care about an artificially created "Game 7" (well, Game 6 technically) between the two most popular players--and two biggest draws--in the league. 

I actually hope that I'm wrong, and it does get beat by a non-Finals game. It would mean that the league is in an extremely healthy place after a rough Covid ratings dip. But it will definitely require LeBron in the WCF. Or maybe a  Game 7 that falls on a weekend and gets the ABC ratings boost.

Edited by aggie08

17 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Casual and fringe fans don't care about the Nets (until they're playing LeBron) or Knicks.

No but people in the 30M person NYC mega metro do. I promise you if there is a Nets/Knicks ECF that 6.5 will get shattered.

Again - do you want to prop bet this? i.e. do you want to lose money? 

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Casual and fringe fans don't care about the Nets (until they're playing LeBron) or Knicks. They care about an artificially created "Game 7" (well, Game 6 technically) between the two most popular players--and two biggest draws--in the league. 

I actually hope that I'm wrong, and it does get beat by a non-Finals game. It would mean that the league is in an extremely healthy place after a rough Covid ratings dip. But it would probably take something like a LAL/LAC Game 7. Maybe a Game 7 that falls on a weekend and gets the ABC ratings boost.

Also, those numbers show the nba gets so much more attention and hype than it deserves as a function of actual eyeballs. Less than 7 million with their marque franchise against their marque super star?  You know who shits all over that in a similar situation?  Baseball. You know whose a 10 billion dollar league while the NBA is half that size?  Baseball. You know who puts double the amount of people in their buildings while having twice as much inventory?  Baseball. You know whose considered to be a dying sport and whose considered ascendant?  Baseball/basketball respectively. 
I love both sports. If I knew knowing about the numbers, revenue or attendance I would assume that basketball was the clear number 2 sport and closing in on the NFL. It’s not. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

2020 numbers were awful. Looks to me like you will lose that bet with a conference finals game somewhere along the line but yeah- conceptually you were pretty right on. 

This is the other thing... 2019 was the last time Steph and KD were both healthy. Ratings last year were trash for multiple reasons. 

21 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

2020 numbers were awful. Looks to me like you will lose that bet with a conference finals game somewhere along the line but yeah- conceptually you were pretty right on. 

2019 was also down 15% overall from the year before without LeBron in the field. The Warriors were the only games with big draws. It's been awhile since games without Steph or LeBron really moved the needle. I'm hoping that the influx of young star power changes that.

Edited by aggie08

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No but people in the 30M person NYC mega metro do. I promise you if there is a Nets/Knicks ECF that 6.5 will get shattered.

Well, sure. But the Knicks ain't making the ECF. Philly/Nets would get some eyeballs if it's a good series for sure. 

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Also, those numbers show the nba gets so much more attention and hype than it deserves as a function of actual eyeballs. Less than 7 million with their marque franchise against their marque super star?  You know who shits all over that in a similar situation?  Baseball. You know whose a 10 billion dollar league while the NBA is half that size?  Baseball. You know who puts double the amount of people in their buildings while having twice as much inventory?  Baseball. You know whose considered to be a dying sport and whose considered ascendant?  Baseball/basketball respectively. 
I love both sports. If I knew knowing about the numbers, revenue or attendance I would assume that basketball was the clear number 2 sport and closing in on the NFL. It’s not. 

Baseball has a problem with the utes.

I’m more than a casual but less than a hard core guy. I’m excited to watch the Nets all playoffs. I will watch Bucks Heat if it gets serious. I will watch Lakers Suns from the beginning. I will watch any series out west that gets competitive around game 3 or 4 in the first round. 

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Baseball has a problem with the utes.

Which people have said forever. Is this the generation that sends baseball to second tier status and makes the NBA ascendant?  Maybe. But that’s been posited my entire life and I’m a man. I’m 42. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Which people have said forever. Is this the generation that sends baseball to second tier status and makes the NBA ascendant?  Maybe. But that’s been posited my entire life and I’m a man. I’m 42. 

I’m a man and I’m 45.  These things take a generation to shake out.  When the kid’s interest moves elsewhere it depletes the talent supply.  If Muhammad Ali were a teenager right now he would be playing linebacker.  Willie Mays would be playing point guard on an AAU team or free safety on the football team.  You see that effect decades later.  MLB has been augmenting it’s talent supply from the Caribbean for a while now.  The lack of American players is an issue.

29 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Well, sure. But the Knicks ain't making the ECF. Philly/Nets would get some eyeballs if it's a good series for sure. 

Nets/Celtics might break it tomorrow night.

I'd hate to crush your dreams like that, though. 

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Very doubtful.

Sure. Not likely. But it's primetime ABC at 7pm on a Saturday (so not actually tomorrow night - sorry). New York vs. Boston. KD's 1st playoff game in 2 years. I bet it hits 5 million viewers at least. 

@Wulaw Horn sure but they are the title favorites. KD has a baked-in fanbase just like LeBron even though it's not as big. 

Edited by ztejas

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Sure. Not likely. But it's primetime ABC at 7pm on a Saturday (so not actually tomorrow night - sorry). New York vs. Boston. KD's 1st playoff game in 2 years. I bet it hits 5 million viewers at least. 

@Wulaw Horn sure but they are the title favorites. KD has a baked-in fanbase just like LeBron even though it's not as big. 

Yep. That’s the thing- if the nets had any fan base if their own than KD’s built in fan base would take them over that number. They don’t. Pulling 2,000,00 fans in NY would move the needle with KD’s following. 

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Pacers really didn't want to be there.  They face an interesting offseason.

And I still won’t be able to give a shit. 
last time I’ve regularly watched them was Reggie Miller time. That’s a couple decades in the rear view now. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

But it’s not New York vs Boston, it’s Brooklyn vs Boston. I live here. Nobody gives a shit about the Nets even with 3 of the best 15 players in the league. But if it’s KD and a LeBron in the final, I don’t disagree with you.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Pacers really didn't want to be there.  They face an interesting offseason.

They are capped out - not counting McDermott and McConnell.  They are fucked, they have 6-8 place talent, the worst possible situation.

5 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

They are capped out - not counting McDermott and McConnell.  They are fucked, they have 6-8 place talent, the worst possible situation.

That's sort of what I mean.  Other than hitting on a stud in the draft, they can't really get much better without making a move and I think that necessitates a trade of someone.  Sabonis is their best player and potential stud, Brogdon had his best season and is a keeper, they just got Levert, so that leaves Warren in a contract year (possible) or Myles Turner, who could be backfilled by Goga.  They'd give up a lot of defense, but they need another piece and Turner blocks a lot of balls and has an interesting skillset but could be replaced.  He's young and cost effective.  They could probably get a really good player or move up in the draft if they see a potential star.

23 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

But it’s not New York vs Boston, it’s Brooklyn vs Boston. I live here. Nobody gives a shit about the Nets even with 3 of the best 15 players in the league. But if it’s KD and a LeBron in the final, I don’t disagree with you.

Yeah but the Boston folk give a shit that it's Brooklyn. 

We'll see. No shit a Lakers/Nets final will draw more than 6.5 million. I just wouldn't be surprised if that number is broken sooner rather than later. 

On 5/20/2021 at 9:35 AM, Vic Mackey said:
On 5/20/2021 at 8:53 AM, HookEm said:

Many of the biggest stars in the NBA right now aren’t that likable. LeBron = crybaby, Durant = snake, Kyrie = flat earther, Kawhi = Judas, Giannis = foreign, AD = boring, Harden = annoying, PG3 = playoff P, Westbrook = stat chaser, CP3 = asshole, Gobert = pandemic starter

IMO, the coolest guys in the NBA are Dame, Tatum, Curry, Luka, Zion. Maybe throw Jimmy Butler in there too. Klay when he’s healthy.

So Giannis isn't likable because he's foreign? Yet you name Luka, who is also foreign and also whines constantly.

Was wondering this too.   Luka cries CONSTANTLY.   I get he's on your team but cmon