2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Maybe Shaq was right about Rudy lmao

He's a good player but he isn't worth $40M/yr or whatever he's getting. He shouldn't have played 42 mins tonight. 

Also, Gobert is getting roasted but even with him on the floor it shouldn't be as hard to defend 5 out as the Jazz were making it look. There was a lot of shitty effort and miscommunication. If you're going to keep Gobert out there then just dare one guy to beat you and keep his looks semi-contested. They tried to switch everything and fully contest every shot and kept burning themselves because eventually the ball moves quicker. Gobert kept getting caught not sure whether he should rim protect or close out - you can't ask him to do both. Pick your poison and roll with it. If that poison is going small and ditching the rim protection then do that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I get that it's a regular season award, and I've made that argument for MVPs who have fizzled in the playoffs, but at least with Giannis, Harden, Rose, etc. (okay, not Russ) there was at least at chance that it might be their year. But every postseason, we KNOW that Gobert is going to get embarrassed once teams with good perimeter players start actively hunting switches. Steph, Harden, Murray, Terrance fucking Mann. The DPOY can't be someone that teams know that they can put on roller skates.

Tristan Thompson (at least the TT of a few years ago) was a more valuable playoff defender than Gobert is now. 

Gobert's value nosedived last night.

And hats off to Ty Lue - only coach to come back from down 2-0 twice in the same playoffs and he did against two guys considered among the game's better coaches.  And without Kawhi.

Edited by Message Board User
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, bluto said:

For all the shit talked about ty lue, do we have to rethink things? Is it his staff?

He played Terrance Mann 9 minutes total in the first 2 games. 

I suppose it's up to you if he gets credit for fixing the rotation (something that was apparent in rd 1 against he Mavs) or to say he's a moron for losing the 1st 2 games with decisions like playing Terrance Mann 9 total minutes in the first 2 games.

On the subject of Gobert, dude has to develop some semblance of an offensive game. Right now there's zero downside to putting a lineup that goes 5 out on the floor because Gobert isn't a threat to do shit on offense to punish a 6'8 defender. Regular season his impact is unimpeachable, but the Jazz are at that point in their evolution where regular season results no longer are gonna cut it. So Rudy needs to work his ass off on his offensive game or they need to at least test the market on what they can get for him

30 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

He played Terrance Mann 9 minutes total in the first 2 games. 

I suppose it's up to you if he gets credit for fixing the rotation (something that was apparent in rd 1 against he Mavs) or to say he's a moron for losing the 1st 2 games with decisions like playing Terrance Mann 9 total minutes in the first 2 games.

On the subject of Gobert, dude has to develop some semblance of an offensive game. Right now there's zero downside to putting a lineup that goes 5 out on the floor because Gobert isn't a threat to do shit on offense to punish a 6'8 defender. Regular season his impact is unimpeachable, but the Jazz are at that point in their evolution where regular season results no longer are gonna cut it. So Rudy needs to work his ass off on his offensive game or they need to at least test the market on what they can get for him

KP for Gobert straight up, Dallas has to say yes.

Stole this from another board, but Zach Lowe podcast and other podcasts talked about all of the changes that Lue and the Clippers made since the first 2 games:

1) he basically took all big men out of the rotation;

2) when he played Zubac it was almost always when Derrick Favors - not Rudy Gobert - was on the floor…Gobert always had to check a guard or wing who could hit a three;

3) Lue steadily increased the minutes of Terrence Mann through the series (though he should have been playing all along);

4) he started trapping Donavan Mitchell when previously the Clippers had mostly been switching;

5) he threw zone looks at the Jazz which surprisingly the Jazz seemed to struggle with despite the amount of shooters they had;

6) Lue said the Clippers plan was to attack the basket relentlessly when Favors was in and they did just that;

7) Clippers abandoned crashing the offensive glass altogether to limit Utah’s transition game;

8 ) the Clippers made a much more concerted effort to attack Mitchell on switches, which was not only effective but also seemed to be wearing him out (it is one of the reasons I think that Snyder opted for so much zone defense the last few games);

9) he took Rondo out of the rotation altogether despite his reputation;

10) once Kawhi went down, he ran some of Paul George’s pet plays from his Indiana days (something they should run more of IMO) including that action when PG catches the ball offf of staggered flare screens;

11) when the Jazz started running more zone, the Clippers countered by setting off ball screens on both Gobert and the strong side wing defender, which led to a ton of wide open corner threes.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Giannis still shooting those threes early in the shot clock.

The Harden isos are almost just as terrible.

Doesn't really matter if they are going to leave Jrue on an island with KD. That's an easy 40 and ballgame right there. Not sure what Bud is doing. 

Harris is having one of the worst series I've ever seen from a player of his caliber. Complete trash. Only thing keeping MIL in this series. 

I mean I know they're thin but you can't bench him or tear him a new one or something? Jesus.

Edited by ztejas

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Harris is having one of the worst series I've ever seen from a player of his caliber. Complete trash. Only thing keeping MIL in this series. 

I mean I know they're thin but you can't bench him or tear him a new one or something? Jesus.

And now just drops a pass resulting in an easy bucket. Seriously, terrible series for him. 

1 minute ago, staboner said:

yeah he seems a bit more fiesty than i have seen

That last finish on Blake is a textbook offensive foul. You can't sweep your off hand through the defender. Dickless refs going to give it to him every time though apparently. (I mean LeBron has gotten away with shit like that his whole career)

Not that the officiating has been one sided or anything.

Edited by ztejas

This is so fucking stupid. Harris with 30 minutes is awful. I have no idea why Harden is getting 36 unless you're afraid of his hammy tightening up. Nash has quietly been almost as bad as Bud this series.

20210619_212202.jpg

It's like he's afraid of playing the wrong guy without considering that maybe the wrong guy is in the starting lineup. Total rookie shit. 

Edited by ztejas