Euro 2020/2021

shnsajax

Not criticizing that player at all, but isn’t the tongue swallowing thing a myth?

There’s a few YouTube vids of players getting knocked down and tended to almost instantly by even opposing players reaching into their mouths with their fingers to move the tongue. They must be trained to know what to look for and act swiftly even if it isn’t your own teammate

10 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I was watching with a room full of nurses. We all thought that he had died based on the extended cpr. 

You know the drill.

PICS motherfucker, PICS!

7 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Russia seems like it sucks ...

... and you can apply that statement to multiple contexts.

Russia isn't coked to the gills on EPO like they were in 2018. They had guys in the mid-late 30s sprinting around the field for 90+ minutes like they were 5 year-olds who had just had cotton candy & Coca-Cola for a pregame snack.

russia suck.  they have nothing.

jermaine jenas thinks the lizard may bus.

i had no hope for england, but if they are practical about what they can do, they can get a team win in the morning.

england may be rated, but they are no better than 5th pending what we see from germany and nederland.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57436330

6:48

'Bizarre' to play right-footed left-back

England v Croatia (14:00 BST)

Chris Waddle

Ex-England winger on BBC Radio 5 Live

I don't get it. Luke Shaw's had a great season for Man Utd. He got himself in the squad and we all thought he was going to start ahead of Chilwell especially in a back four.

I don't see the reasons. I don't get it. Is it tactical in some reason? I don't see why he needs to play a right-footed left back. There is a reason and I'm sure he'll explain why but for me, it's bizarre.

Gareth Southgate includes Kieran Trippier, Raheem Sterling, Phil Foden and Mason Mount in his starting XI as England get under way against Croatia at Euro 2020.

That means there’s no place for Marcus Rashford, Jack Grealish and Luke Shaw, while Tyrone Mings and John Stones start in central defence.

England XI: Pickford, Walker, Stones, Mings, Trippier, Rice, Phillips, Mount, Foden, Sterling, Kane

Subs: Henderson, Johnstone, Shaw, Grealish, Henderson, Rashford, Coady, Calvert-Lewin, White, James, Saka, Bellingham

England have won five of the 10 meetings against Croatia, but Zlatko Dalic's men have inflicted two heartbreaking defeats.

One was in the 2018 World Cup to deny England a place in the final and the other in 2007, when Steve McClaren's side suffered a 3-2 loss at Wembley and failed to qualify for Euro 2008.

7:38

'England have to get hold of Modric'

Rio Ferdinand

Former England defender on BBC One

England are going to have to get hold of Luka Modric. During the 2018 World Cup, he was the player who was dictating play. He is a player of huge ability, huge experience. He will warm to this atmosphere at Wembley. We didn't get hold of him last time - he had the freedom of the park. That is something that has to be addressed today.

7:43

'Perisic is a threat at any moment'

Frank Lampard

Former England midfielder on BBC One

I'm a huge fan of Ivan Perisic. As a modern winger what you want is a bit of everything and he certainly gives that.

Over the last couple of years he's won the Champions League with Bayern Munich and the league with Inter Milan. He scored 28 goals n his international career. he's forever getting shots away with his right and left foot, he's a strong boy and is a threat at any moment.

7:46

'Trippier's communication and experience will help'

England

England manager Gareth Southgate speaking to BBC One:

"We're very focused on today's game and prepared tactically for the game. We know everyone around is is hugely excited and the players are as well. We have to focus on the performance and put the other noise aside us to one side.

On Trippier playing at left-back; "With Kieran we feel he's a very experienced player and a good 1 v 1 defender to stop crosses coming in. His communication and leadership will be a help and his experience will help us. The two boys out of the squad and Harry Magurie, it's just unfortunate we can only name 23 and we've had to cover certain positions. I don't like having to leave players out of the squad at a major tournament.

On attacking players: That was out front six in our games in March and we had some continuity from those games. They have an understanding and they have fabulous depth. We know Marcus Rashford and Jack Grealish are really pushing for starting positions this is going to be a game where substitutes are more important than ever.

On taking the knee: "We want that supoort. we know we will have it during the game. Whatever happens before is for individual people to decide. We know what we're doing and we're totally focussed.

On Christian Eriksen: "Firstly we hope that he's recovering well and our thoughts are with him, his family and his teammates as well who I thought were incredible. We have players who are very close with him and it was difficult for them to watch. thankfully the news sounds positive.