West Virginia @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

Guest Lobo

Is the count really 13 conference championships this year?  With an opportunity to still add some more regional/national hardware in multiple sports over the next month?  

I can't believe we didn't join A&M in the SEC and join them in such glory.

Fuck A&M.  Fuck TCU.  Fuck Oklahoma.  

You Seniors, take off your ballcap and put on your mortar board and go walk the stage across the street as a Texas Graduate and a Champion.  Well done! 

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Is the count really 13 conference championships this year?  With an opportunity to still add some more regional/national hardware in multiple sports over the next month?  

I can't believe we didn't join A&M in the SEC and join them in such glory.

Fuck A&M.  Fuck TCU.  Fuck Oklahoma.  

You Seniors, take off your ballcap and put on your mortar board and go walk the stage across the street as a Texas Graduate and a Champion.  Well done! 

Honestly just walk across in your uniform, that would be bad ass

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Cajun said:

God I wish I could buy some time on one of those digital billboards in Ft. Worth tonight.  I have just the media, with some school color alterations, of course -

iu-6.gif

Hire one of those mobile billboards on a truck and have them drive around campus or the bar scene. Hazard pay will be required for the driver. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Cajun said:

God I wish I could buy some time on one of those digital billboards in Ft. Worth tonight.

Don't give them the time of day like that. Just don't acknowledge them. If a TCU fan brings up that we actually tied for the B12 title just say "Oh y'all tied us in the standings? I guess I just figured since we beat you twice in FW it was our's outright. Congrats though, big deal for you guys."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

This is not debatable.  He certainly has.

The jump from our hitting in 2016 to 2017 was what sold me on Pierce. Then 2018 cemented that. I think we can safely say 2019 is the outlier here with Pierce. He’s made the tournament every year as a head coach and he just wrapped up his 5th conference championship as a head coach. See how that works, Skaka?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

The jump from our hitting in 2016 to 2017 was what sold me on Pierce. Then 2018 cemented that. I think we can safely say 2019 is the outlier here with Pierce. He’s made the tournament every year as a head coach and he just wrapped up his 5th conference championship as a head coach. See how that works, Skaka?

What is a Skaka?

• Like 1

So now that we are the #1 seed in the conference tourney, pretty simple rotation. Ty-Tristan-Pete

Would really like to see Southard again although we don't need more righties in the pen you can never have enough quality arms. 

8.1 innings, 1.08 WHIP, 0 ER, 13 strikeouts, 6 walks, .107 AVG against

29 minutes ago, chase25 said:

So now that we are the #1 seed in the conference tourney, pretty simple rotation. Ty-Tristan-Pete

Would really like to see Southard again although we don't need more righties in the pen you can never have enough quality arms. 

8.1 innings, 1.08 WHIP, 0 ER, 13 strikeouts, 6 walks, .107 AVG against

We sure this is going to be Madden to start this Big 12 tournament off? 

It starts Wed so they could maybe go to Kubichek like it's a midweek situation. 6 days rest for Madden though and I'm not sure there's much trust in Kubichek right now. 

It's also going to be a weak opponent in the opener. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

We sure this is going to be Madden to start this Big 12 tournament off? 

It starts Wed so they could maybe go to Kubichek like it's a midweek situation. 6 days rest for Madden though and I'm not sure there's much trust in Kubichek right now. 

It's also going to be a weak opponent in the opener. 

I'd start Madden just to try and get his confidence back and use the tournament as a tune-up for the regional.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think Pierce will go with Kubichek but I'm just guessing here. 

1) You keep the rotation on schedule. 

2) Kubichek needs some innings to see if he can be a 4th starter

3) You win with Kubichek in the opener you set yourself up well

4) A loss isn't the end of the world as the top 8 seed is likely locked up now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The top 8 has been in such flux too that worrying about matchups or trying to avoid anyone isn't really worth it.

Like being 2 vs. 7 is probably not a big deal.

Edited by ztejas

49 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I agree with all except #4. There can be a potentially big difference in being a potential #2-#3 seed and #4-#8 seed.

If Texas plays well and gets a 2 or 3 seed you could potentially pair up with a Gonzaga/Charlotte, get bounced early and now we are playing a Stanford/Oregon potentially. Not avoiding anybody when you get to Omaha, bring it, but definitely would like to make your path as easy as possible if you can. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, chase25 said:

I agree with all except #4. There can be a potentially big difference in being a potential #2-#3 seed and #4-#8 seed.

If Texas plays well and gets a 2 or 3 seed you could potentially pair up with a Gonzaga/Charlotte, get bounced early and now we are playing a Stanford/Oregon potentially. Not avoiding anybody when you get to Omaha, bring it, but definitely would like to make your path as easy as possible if you can. 

this.  I'd like to take as little a chance as possible in giving the NCAA a chance to fuck us.  win em all.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Cajun said:

This is not debatable.  He certainly has.

It was a little unfair to expect him to immediately turn things around if for no other reason than because of recruiting, which had been lackadaisical for years, let alone development.  I think we'd lost a lot of luster as a program over the last decade or so and we were going to need to improve recruiting and develop hitters and win in order to get back to traditional glory.  And that's kind of a circular thing in and of itself.

But it seems every new batch of kids he brings in is better than the last.  And, better still, they don't seem to regress. He's found what seem to be Texas-quality infielders and improved the hitting.  I don't think we've had this many over .300 since the bats changed.

I just hope having Tulowitzki as a volunteer assistant is a coincidental lagniappe and not the reason for this year's success.  That is, assuming he can't be made a more permanent part of the staff.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I just hope having Tulowitzki as a volunteer assistant is a coincidental lagniappe and not the reason for this year's success.  That is, assuming he can't be made a more permanent part of the staff.

Somebody is going to offer him a HC job within a short time.  Probably one he’s willing to take.  I have no inside knowledge but I’m guessing he wants to learn the college ropes here for another year or two, but that’s going to be about it.  

incidentially, I am old, so I watched him play live in college a couple of times.  You could tell even back then he was going to be a star.  So smooth with both the bat and glove.  Now we know it came from relentless work as much as talent. 

50 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

But it seems every new batch of kids he brings in is better than the last.  And, better still, they don't seem to regress. He's found what seem to be Texas-quality infielders and improved the hitting.  I don't think we've had this many over .300 since the bats changed.

Hitting improvement has been impressive. Here are the final OPS numbers for the starting 9:

Excellent:
Melendez - 1.120 (26 extra-base hits)
Cam - 1.015 (28 out of 49 hits were for extra bases, and a lot of scorched outs)
Zubia - .964 (say what you will about watching hittable pitches, but he was on base 43% of the time and slugged over .500)
Antico - .922 (who would've believed that 6 weeks ago?)
Daly - .889 (true freshman)

Pretty damn good:
Hodo - .789 (could walk a bit more; 11 extra-base hits)
Faltine - .789 (while playing outstanding defense, and 19 out of 41 hits were doubles or bombs)

Not bad for a catcher:
Ardoin - .753 (lots of walks, but only 8 extra-base hits all year, but it seems that he had some bad luck early)
Petrinsky - .717 

Needs improvement, but on  the right track
Kennedy - .677 (put some good aluminum on some bad WV pitches)

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

It was a little unfair to expect him to immediately turn things around if for no other reason than because of recruiting, which had been lackadaisical for years, let alone development.  I think we'd lost a lot of luster as a program over the last decade or so and we were going to need to improve recruiting and develop hitters and win in order to get back to traditional glory.  And that's kind of a circular thing in and of itself.

Well, let's say Tulo is the main reason for this.  Glass is half full thinking would have it that even with his departure the blueprint for the success he brought will remain and be utilized.

That felt weird to say, because I'm neither a glass half full or glass half empty guy.  

I'm more like, "Who the fuck drank my water?" guy.

• Hook 'Em 1