Constitutional Carry bill on its way to Governor Abbott’s desk

Armybrat

Had an interesting discussion about the sausage making on this last night from a friend of mine who is probably one of the most respected professors who studies this shit for a living (he's on local TV once a week about political issues -- especially locally and state).  Dan Patrick did not want it to happen.  But apparently the house leader outflanked him on it and made it where no GOP senator could vote against it.

Don't know why Patrick did not want it.  Maybe he did but wanted to do it on his own schedule where he could credit?

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Had an interesting discussion about the sausage making on this last night from a friend of mine who is probably one of the most respected professors who studies this shit for a living (he's on local TV once a week about political issues -- especially locally and state).  Dan Patrick did not want it to happen.  But apparently the house leader outflanked him on it and made it where no GOP senator could vote against it.

Don't know why Patrick did not want it.  Maybe he did but wanted to do it on his own schedule where he could credit?

Dan Patrick is worried the male prostitute he stiffs on the payment might be carrying. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Somnio said:

Great news, except for the CHL instructors.  Oh, and the bad guys who now have to worry about more law abiding citizens being more equiped to defend themselves.

LTC instructors should offer gun safety classes.

But I will renew my LTC for the same reasons of convenience others have stated.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Great news, except for the CHL instructors.  Oh, and the bad guys who now have to worry about more law abiding citizens being more equiped to defend themselves.

North Dakota has been Constitutional Carry for 2 years now, and I don't think classes have dropped off much.  You still need a permit in other States, and having a CCW makes it SO much easier when you buy a gun.

• Like 1

It's a complete non-issue.  Just like open carry.  If you wanted a CHL over the last 20 years you went out and got one and paid the $30.  Criminals carry regardless of the law.   Something like only 5% of Texans have CHL's.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

So, are LTC's still gonna be a thing for being able to buy without waiting on a background check?

Should have google before I posted.  Thankfully they will be.  Also, need for reciprocity for packing in other states.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I could understand if open carry was limited to ones private property, vehicle or home.  That I could understand.  In public?  No, man.  Just no.    

Open carry for licensed citizens has been in effect for a number of years, and I have only seen two people (a man & wife) availing themselves of that right. 
Private businesses can still ban carry on their premises.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I could understand if open carry was limited to ones private property, vehicle or home.  That I could understand.  In public?  No, man.  Just no.    

Outside of protesters at organized events, I've seen open carry in action maybe 3 or 4 times in Texas of all places.

You've always been allowed to open carry a rifle.  You see that much?

Most people aren't trying to draw attention to themselves.  The issue is whether or not the government gets to infringe on the Bill of Rights cuz it makes some people uncomfortable.

17 minutes ago, midtown said:

It's a complete non-issue.  Just like open carry.  If you wanted a CHL over the last 20 years you went out and got one and paid the $30.  Criminals carry regardless of the law.   Something like only 5% of Texans have CHL's.  

$30? The fuck are you talking about?

1 minute ago, Somnio said:

The issue is whether or not the government gets to infringe on the Bill of Rights cuz it makes some people uncomfortable.

I have no real issue with constitutional carry part.  

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Open carry for licensed citizens has been in effect for a number of years, and I have only seen two people (a man & wife) availing themselves of that right. 
Private businesses can still ban carry on their premises.

Its the open carry in public i take issue with.  I don't care to see anyone avail themselves of any weapon in public.  I'm all for the right to bear arms to defend your property and or your home, sure.  Allowing anyone to walk the streets with weapons in public?  No thanks.  Jmo.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RollLeft said:

Its the open carry in public i take issue with.  I don't care to see anyone avail themselves of any weapon in public.  I'm all for the right to bear arms to defend your property and or your home, sure.  Allowing anyone to walk the streets with weapons in public?  No thanks.  Jmo.

I was never a fan of this but in reality; why would you advertise to everyone that you have a firearm?  Hey guess what.  Your first on the list of targets buddy.    But alas it was a complete non-issue.   I've yet to actually see anyone open carry.  I did it once for shit and giggles into a convenience store that actually had a police office it in filling up on donuts. 

11 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I would never OC in any urban areas, but have done so on family lands.

As you said, no need to draw attention. But some yayhoos undoubtedly will strut around like Mad Max.

Just now, midtown said:

I was never a fan of this but in reality; why would you advertise to everyone that you have a firearm?  Hey guess what.  Your first on the list of targets buddy.    But alas it was a complete non-issue.   I've yet to actually see anyone open carry.  I did it once for shit and giggles into a convenience store that actually had a police office it in filling up on donuts. 

This.  Dumb as fuck to go open carrying everywhere.  I honestly don't think many people will do it because of that.  The Alex Jones crowd will do that shit, and they'll do it at their protests at the Capitol or whatever, but most people have more common sense than that.

And like midtown said, people who wanted to carry have had years to get their CHL.

Abbott is just terrified of being primaried by Huffines, and he's trying to keep from giving Allen West and the Texas GOP more ammo to boot him out of office.

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Not “anyone”. Criminals, gang members and other ineligible people are prohibited.

Gang members are eligible if they have not been convicted of any crimes.  Whether they are the Bloods or Crips, or the 3%ers or Proud Boys or whatever.  There is no restriction.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Guest Lobo

Yeah, anybody supporting Dan Patrick can open carry and is in a gang.  You can tell by their colors.  A lot of pant suits and outdoorsy plaids by Lane Bryant.  And that’s just the ‘men’

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Dan Patrick did not want it to happen.  But apparently the house leader outflanked him on it and made it where no GOP senator could vote against it.

Lost in the hoopla is that quite a few police chiefs have come out against it, and from what I read, they were directly lobbying Patrick. 

I saw a little bit of some of the press conferences they've been holding in Austin (and it sounded like a rural vs urban issue, with rural police chiefs not caring). 

Basically it boils down to a few things - one, they don't like people carrying, who haven't been through any safety courses and who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. There is a serious public safety factor there, but I would think that most who support this have already went through CHL classes anyways. CHL wasn't expensive (at least when I did mine, but it's been quite a few years) so cost wasn't a barrier. Maybe the morons who fear some Deep State bullshit and have sidearms that are unknown to the feds wouldn't follow through with a CHL in years past, but most who needed/wanted to carry could.

The other one, which is bigger for cops, is normally if they come up on a suspicious situation and somebody is armed, they can ask them for their ID and license.  Now they have to assume that everybody is eligible to carry, unless they are willing to go and run their histories.  

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Easy to check off the small dick men on this board who need to carry their penis extension anywhere they go. 

We are not debating that.  That shipped sailed two decades ago.   We're debating if this bill is even an issue.  

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

they don't like people carrying, who haven't been through any safety courses and who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Have you been through a course?    They let you shoot from like 10 feet.  I was making smiley faces on my target and dudes and chicks were having a hard time hitting the freaking paper.  Guess who got permits?   All of us.   Trust me.  No one is being "trained"

Do you know what they call the guy who graduated last from med school?   Doctor

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, midtown said:

Have you been through a course?    They let you shoot from like 10 feet.  I was making smiley faces on my target and dudes and chicks were having a hard time hitting the freaking paper.  Guess who got permits?   All of us.

Yep, although it felt like ours was a little farther out, but there were people who were struggling.

Now I'm picturing people who are legally blind and/or who wouldn't be allowed to operate a motor vehicle, rolling around on their Rascal scooters looking for suspicious activity (hint, with their eyesight/judgement, everything is suspicious).

10 minutes ago, midtown said:

We are not debating that.  That shipped sailed two decades ago.   We're debating if this bill is even an issue.  

We should be getting guns off the street, not putting more on them 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, midtown said:

Have you been through a course?    They let you shoot from like 10 feet.  I was making smiley faces on my target and dudes and chicks were having a hard time hitting the freaking paper.  Guess who got permits?   All of us.   Trust me.  No one is being "trained"

Truth. The drooling mouth breathers in my last class should not be licensed to carry a sidearm. Idiocracy has arrived.

Texas response to escalating gun violence is making guns more available. What could possible go wrong?

The 3% of reasonably trained CHL/LTC individuals who actually carry every day and can remember if they have one in the chamber and have situational awareness is vanishingly small. I value my guns and my carry proficiency but let's not pretend this law is a positive.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, midtown said:

The concealed carry courses were never about safety, but primarily taught the laws and checked for proficiency.

• Hook 'Em 1

We should be getting guns off the street, not putting more on them 
This does nothing to change manufacturing of firearms. This does nothing to change who can legally purchase a firearm. This does nothing to stop people who can't carry a firearm to carry one. All it does is lower the financial cost to aquire a permit from $100 to $0 and saves those same people 6 hours out of their day. A complete non-issue. Your fight is against something else but IMO it's wasted on this.