Places to eat on the Austin-Denver drive?

Beau Vine

Let's assume you're taking 35 to 287 in Ft. Worth.   Because the other way up through Abilene is major time sapper. 

Tyler's BBQ in Amarillo is legit.   If you intend to make the drive in one day good luck with anything else between Amarillo and pretty much Colorado Springs.  Pueblo might have something decent but I've never seen it.   Dalhart,  Texline,  Raton and Trinidad are fast food wastelands. 

• Like 2

I thought the burgers at the Skirted Heifer in Co Springs were good. In Pueblo there's an old italian market that makes sandwiches, Gaglianos. They also make their own sausage and cookies. Pueblo also has a bakery I've only heard about but it's on my list next time I'm through there, Banquet Schuster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Let's assume you're taking 35 to 287 in Ft. Worth.   Because the other way up through Abilene is major time sapper. 

Tyler's BBQ in Amarillo is legit.   If you intend to make the drive in one day good luck with anything else between Amarillo and pretty much Colorado Springs.  Pueblo might have something decent but I've never seen it.   Dalhart,  Texline,  Raton and Trinidad are fast food wastelands. 

Counterpoint: 35 is a ducking death trap. I’ll always avoid it if possible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I haven't been in Amarillo since last July so I'm not sure what is still open but I know Tyler's is.  Crazy Larry's is also good.  Skip Dyers.   

Larry's has a an interesting Frito Pie.    And it's huge.  

Tyler's is the correct answer,  If it's a Saturday, grab the beef rib and take a nap until Trinidad while someone else drives...

Closed Mondays.   Thursdays he does the 3 different macs& cheese. 

Big Texan is a no-go for me.  Would rather have Allsups.

In Pueblo, we will hit Angelo's Pizza downtown on the riverwalk for lunch.  

Edited by slorch

9 hours ago, Macanudo said:

There used to be a decent place in Clayton, but it’s been a long time since I’ve driven to Colorado.

If you happen to take the more southern route and go through Post (my destination is more central CO), Holly's Drive-In has great burgers.

And it may have changed owners lately, but we stumbled on English Field House in Amarillo last time we went through.  Total gem for breakfast stuck in an odd place right next to the airport.  Lots of military aviation patches/photos for you plane buffs, cool view of the airfield, and good food.  I didn't realize that the Amarillo airport is a big fueling stop for private aviation, so if you're nice to the staff you can get some good stories about their frequent celebrity visitors.  If you're really nice, they may let you admire Morgan Freeman's personal utensil set that he leaves there.  One of the cooler road trip discoveries I've made, after having driving through Amarillo countless times growing up.

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

Might be you last time to visit.... Stuckey's, 1501 Memorial Drive I-35, Exit, 15, Marietta, OK 73448

spacer.png

My 8-10 yo self used to KILL a pecan log, crush some cherry sours and scarf some candy sticks back in the day! 

Stuckey’s was Bucee’s before Bucee’s except w/o the “cleanest restroom game”.

And while I’m at it-> If there happen to be any Bucee’s “higher-up’s”/decision makers on this site; Please, PLEASE for the love of TEXAS, so us all a favor and consider putting a store in Texline or at least Dalhart. As has been discussed, we need something to get us from Amarillo to Pueblo/Co Springs. And you’d dang sure be helping out the NW Texas economy.

Your fellow TEXANS would appreciate it kindly. Hell, I’ll even throw up a “👍🏻“ for you aggy’s.  🤘🏻

I'd take 281 to Wichita Falls. You could have chicken fried steak at Jake and Dorthy's in Stephenville, then a burger at Herd's in Jacksboro, followed by another chicken fried steak at Murn's in Archer City, then a grilled steak at the Big Texan in Amarillo. You would be fat as fuck. But those are all good eatin'. Or you could get a "to go" order at Herd's and Murn's, you would have good food for the whole drive to Denver.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

15 hours ago, hornian said:

Counterpoint: 35 is a ducking death trap. I’ll always avoid it if possible. 

From Austin, if you can get an early start, it shouldn't be too bad as you're going north,  especially if it's on a Saturday or Sunday.   We normally start the trip on Saturday, but granted we're starting in NE Houston. 

If you do end up going I-35 to 287, there is a Mediterranean place in Wichita Falls with good eats....  Gyros and Kebabs.  Portions are shareable if you have a passenger/2nd driver.   If we get out early enough, Wichita Falls is our lunch stop.

If you decide to do the other route, prepare your intestines for DQ or who knows what else.

Beau....  Are you planning on making this trip in one day?  Traveling solo or will you have a companion?

7 hours ago, Damor said:

If you happen to take the more southern route and go through Post (my destination is more central CO), Holly's Drive-In has great burgers.

And it may have changed owners lately, but we stumbled on English Field House in Amarillo last time we went through.  Total gem for breakfast stuck in an odd place right next to the airport.  Lots of military aviation patches/photos for you plane buffs, cool view of the airfield, and good food.  I didn't realize that the Amarillo airport is a big fueling stop for private aviation, so if you're nice to the staff you can get some good stories about their frequent celebrity visitors.  If you're really nice, they may let you admire Morgan Freeman's personal utensil set that he leaves there.  One of the cooler road trip discoveries I've made, after having driving through Amarillo countless times growing up.

English Field House is awesome.   Beside being a big private aviation hub, AMA is also a prime USAF touch and go practice landing field/training area.   I flew in/out of AMA 20x between late 2018/early 2020 and at least 60-70% of the time there were USAF fighters or cargo planes on the tarmac or in the air training/flying/testing.  F-16s, T-38s, C-17s and C-130s.  And the test facility for  the Osprey is right next to AMA so those might be parked along the tarmac or flying around too.  

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

the   Eklund Hotel and Restaurant

That place looks so cool, but I never thought it was actually open.  We just always want to get through that fucking corner of NM, and when you hit Clayton, it’s, “Hey! I see mountains!”

34 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

We got a speeding ticket there. The cop said thry didn't really do warnings because tickets were like $60.

I had to clear an old speeding ticket I got 5 years ago in New Mexico on way to Colorado.  Long story as I wanted to pay it but could not figure out how -- all I had was the phone number to some small New Mexican magistrate judge and a ticket.  I would call and get a voicemail with their hours of operation.  No luck.  Well I applied for a new LTC, and the DPS sent me a letter saying I needed to clear the ticket and arrest warrant.  The Texas DPS actually gave me a proper number.  Ended up calling, was arraigned on the phone by the judge, and bullshitted with him for about 10 minutes before he told me what I needed to do.  Total cost -- including failure to appear -- was $61.  I was shocked.  I was expecting a $400 or so fucking.

• Haha 1

We go to Colorado every summer for several weeks (and now over a month since I can work remote). We usually leave on a Friday evening and stay with my aunt in Dallas.  Order some to go food from Eatsi's (sp?) and have a picnic somewhere on the way.  Spend night two in Santa Fe with my uncle and aunt.  Then get up early and leave for Aspen on Sunday, and just stop and have lunch in Buena Vista, which is a pretty town with good restaurants. It is nice to stay with family as they are great hosts we like to visit, saves us money, and they both have gates so I don't have to unload all the shit that is in my truck like I would have to do if we stayed in a hotel.

There is nothing to eat in between Aspen and Wichita Falls on the return trip.  We pack snacks and a picnic lunch.  And then haul ass all the way from Aspen to Dallas in one day.  Then head home next morning.

49 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

We ate at a place called Dalhart Taqueria #2 in Clayton that was legit. #1 and #3 are apparently in Dalhart and Dumas.

Anyone had a Slopper in Pueblo?

Re: Taqueria #1, #2 & #3- We’ve no doubt driven by them many a time/ Will give one a shot!

Don’t get me wrong, I love the hole in a wall” (hence my avi) but am a bit leery unless a heart felt reconnection sends me there...Anyway, thanks for the rec!

You already got the suggestions for Allsups (anywhere) and Holly's drive-in in Post.  Allsups is an important experience, and Holly's is good drive-in grub.

If you decide to go through Sweetwater, and hit there around lunchtime, hit Allen's family meals.  Home cooking, all family style.  Legit, southern home cooking style grub.

The is fuck all between Austin and Denver and I whole heartedly recommend the food court at Bergstrom. Absent that, listen to this man. Tyler’s is quite good.

• 2 weeks later...