Austin Regional Thread

Horny Bull

2 hours ago, RiceOwl said:

Tough break for the Stags. 

As for the attractiveness of women from Fairfield, there are certainly better looking ones. Quinnipiac has far better talent though if we're talking CT MAAC schools.

That sucks for them and I'm sure will be tough to play without him. I wish him well as he watches Texas win this regional. Speaking of womenz, I'm also looking forward to the hot sloots that will be in attendance as well this weekend. The smaller crowds still had some nice ladies in attendance but this open weekend should be better.

1 hour ago, Droopy said:

That sucks for them and I'm sure will be tough to play without him. I wish him well as he watches Texas win this regional. Speaking of womenz, I'm also looking forward to the hot sloots that will be in attendance as well this weekend. The smaller crowds still had some nice ladies in attendance but this open weekend should be better.

ASU should contribute nicely to the sloot population. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This regional is going to be a shitshow in this weather. What are the scenarios for make up games - i.e. how far into next week could they theoretically push games?

Monday, I think. Never seen one go to Tuesday but it could have happened. Here's to hoping the weather gets its shit together and moves along.

Guest Lobo

there's plenty of gaps in the forecast to get in 6-7 games between Friday 11am and Monday 11pm.  I like our chances anyway, but there will be at least 1 game for every single team this weekend where your starter is gonna have to sit for awhile after throwing a few innings, maybe a few hours and not be able to safely take the mound again.  ASU and Fairfield don't have the horses for that.  

Friday night already looking better, but I doubt our 1:00p opener holds steady.  

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This regional is going to be a shitshow in this weather. What are the scenarios for make up games - i.e. how far into next week could they theoretically push games?

I was just browsing the 2019 NCAA Baseball ops manual.  Looks like it cannot go past Tuesday. 11pm is the cut-off time for games to start.   They prefer not to have teams play more than 2 complete games per day.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

WTF. Why on earth are we starting Stevens against them?

Because the most important game to win is Game #2, per Augie.

Stevens is good and will get us the win on Friday, setting up Madden for Game #2, see above for importance, and allows us to use Hansen/Kubichek for Game #3.

Just now, Droopy said:

Because the most important game to win is Game #2, per Augie.

Stevens is good and will get us the win on Friday, setting up Madden for Game #2, see above for importance, and allows us to use Hansen/Kubichek for Game #3.

Sure but Friday is a pretty easy game that you can probably use Kubicek for and right now, Steven’s is our best pitcher, so not starting him for game 2 or 3 seems like a mistake. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Sure but Friday is a pretty easy game that you can probably use Kubicek for and right now, Steven’s is our best pitcher, so not starting him for game 2 or 3 seems like a mistake. 

Fair point, but not sure it's a mistake at this point. If we end up needing Stevens again this weekend at least he's going to have some "rest" and has experience coming out of the bullpen. If, we make it to the Super, I'd expect this same rotation as well. It's possible that DP is thinking that Madden/Stevens are all but guaranteed W's and the rest of the staff, while good, have a lower percentage to get the W. He's taking his chances that we go 2-0 and that his remaining rotation can take 1 of the next 2 games to win the regional.

Hansen/Kubichek, Madden, Stevens would also be good, but there may be extenuating circumstances that we are not privy to making the change necessary. Either way, 3-0! 🤘

12 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Fair point, but not sure it's a mistake at this point. If we end up needing Stevens again this weekend at least he's going to have some "rest" and has experience coming out of the bullpen. If, we make it to the Super, I'd expect this same rotation as well. It's possible that DP is thinking that Madden/Stevens are all but guaranteed W's and the rest of the staff, while good, have a lower percentage to get the W. He's taking his chances that we go 2-0 and that his remaining rotation can take 1 of the next 2 games to win the regional.

Hansen/Kubichek, Madden, Stevens would also be good, but there may be extenuating circumstances that we are not privy to making the change necessary. Either way, 3-0! 🤘

Ty is the least guaranteed W of our weekend rotation. It would make way more sense to throw Madden game 1 of a super just based on how the 3 have pitched all year long. 

There are Pros and cons to anything just about, I would start Kubichek against Southern but if you do that and go 3-0 then Pete probably doesn’t get to pitch and now he is going into a super regional having not pitched in 2 weeks.

I know Pierce is hoping they can jump on Southern early and not have to extend Stevens that way you can bring him back in a game 4 or 5

• Hook 'Em 2

I liked the idea of having Madden start tomorrow and letting him go 5 innings or 80-ish pitches, with the 2nd-tier bullpen guys cleaning up.  However, I understand starting Stevens and maybe bringing him back if needed later in the weekend.

Assuming ASU chooses to use their one good starter to beat Fairfield (and I think ASU will annihilate them), they have nothing but WVU-level pitching left (sans Wolf and Watters).

17 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Ty is the least guaranteed W of our weekend rotation. It would make way more sense to throw Madden game 1 of a super just based on how the 3 have pitched all year long. 

There are Pros and cons to anything just about, I would start Kubichek against Southern but if you do that and go 3-0 then Pete probably doesn’t get to pitch and now he is going into a super regional having not pitched in 2 weeks.

I know Pierce is hoping they can jump on Southern early and not have to extend Stevens that way you can bring him back in a game 4 or 5

Ok seriously, adderall, cocaine whatever it is you’re doing, stop, take a breath. Maybe go do some yoga. Perhaps have a beer or maybe some weed if you’re into that. Saying Ty is the least guaranteed win is a little insane. Start kubs tomorrow. Win 10-2 or whatever with kubs giving us 6 or 7 then have Hansen or Strickland or whatever close it out. Start Madden game 2. If we lose, so what. Stevens and Hansen Saturday and Sunday then all hands on deck Monday. 

But this won’t matter cause we’re gonna crush Southern, do what we’ve been doing to Arizona state since Augie arrived with Madden. If they beat Stevens Sunday(whomever it is won’t) oh well. Now try it again Monday with Hansen. 

You realize all 3 of those dudes would be the Friday night guy for our opponents, right? And Kub would be one of their better pitchers too. Take a Valium and enjoy the ride dude. Baseball is the only real sport we’re allowed to say “we’re Texas”(historic record speaking). We’re fucking Texas. We’ll be in Omaha in 2 weeks. Hopefully your heart rate goes down a bit so you can live to see it 

Edited by Fletch

3 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

I liked the idea of having Madden start tomorrow and letting him go 5 innings or 80-ish pitches, with the 2nd-tier bullpen guys cleaning up.  However, I understand starting Stevens and maybe bringing him back if needed later in the weekend.

Assuming ASU chooses to use their one good starter to beat Fairfield (and I think ASU will annihilate them), they have nothing but WVU-level pitching left (sans Wolf and Watters).

You fuckers. Now I’m second guessing everything. Fuck it. 3-0 and give us Miami, plzzzz

58 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I was just browsing the 2019 NCAA Baseball ops manual.  Looks like it cannot go past Tuesday. 11pm is the cut-off time for games to start.   They prefer not to have teams play more than 2 complete games per day.  

what happens if you can't complete a regional by the end of tuesday? do they draw straws? highest seed advances?

1 minute ago, strangulation! said:

what happens if you can't complete a regional by the end of tuesday? do they draw straws? highest seed advances?

Think I remember this happening a few years ago where some regional ended up going till Wednesday or some shit. Probably wrong cause I was definitely drunk if that happened, but I think it happened 

19 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Ok seriously, adderall, cocaine whatever it is you’re doing, stop, take a breath. Maybe go do some yoga. Perhaps have a beer or maybe some weed if you’re into that. Saying Ty is the least guaranteed win is a little insane. Start kubs tomorrow. Win 10-2 or whatever with kubs giving us 6 or 7 then have Hansen or Strickland or whatever close it out. Start Madden game 2. If we lose, so what. Stevens and Hansen Saturday and Sunday then all hands on deck Monday. 

But this won’t matter cause we’re gonna crush Southern, do what we’ve been doing to Arizona state since Augie arrived with Madden. If they beat Stevens Sunday(whomever it is won’t) oh well. Now try it again Monday with Hansen. 

You realize all 3 of those dudes would be the Friday night guy for our opponents, right? And Kub would be one of their better pitchers too. Take a Valium and enjoy the ride dude. Baseball is the only real sport we’re allowed to say “we’re Texas”(historic record speaking). We’re fucking Texas. We’ll be in Omaha in 2 weeks. Hopefully your heart rate goes down a bit so you can live to see it 

You realize you have more posts on this site right?

You are also so amped up on something that you don’t even know who is on the team (who is Strickland) and the decision has already been made that Stevens will start against Southern

Edited by chase25
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, strangulation! said:

From the 2019 manual: 

2019 NCAA DIVISION I BASEBALL CHAMPIONSHIP – EMERGENCY ADVANCING POLICY Regional. Every reasonable effort, including but not limited to moving the location of the games, should be made to complete a regional round and advance a team to the super regional based on the results on the field. However, in the highly unlikely event that regional play cannot be completed, the team that will advance to the super regional will be based on the following criteria:

- 0 games played = Best seed.

- 1 game played = Best remaining seed without a loss.

- 2 games played = Best seeded team without a loss.

- 3 games played = Best seeded team without a loss.

- 4 games played = Remaining team without a loss (i.e., Winner of Game #4)

- 5 games played = Remaining team without a loss (i.e., Winner of Game #4)

- 6 games played = Winner of Game 6 unless each team has one loss, in which case the following will be considered: 1) Head-to-head competition. 2) Best seeded team remaining.

• Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, chase25 said:

You realize you have more posts on this site right?

You are also so amped up on something that you don’t even know who is on the team (who is Strickland) and the decision has already been made that Stevens will start against Southern

Yes I do. And no I didn’t cause I’ve had a busy fucking morning. Yeah I meant Wentzel. Don’t know where the fuck I got Strickland from. And dude please...calm the big lebowski GIF

55 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

ASU Coach Smith states they will start Tyler Thornton (RHP/5.73) against Fairfield and Justin Fall (LHP/ 3.86) for game two.    They also expect injured pitcher Kai Murphy back (LHP/4.50) though he has only 16IP this year.      He did express a concern about the weather which could affect their rotation.

(info is in below forum,  don't have time to search at present)

https://247sports.com/college/arizona-state/board/devils-dugout-102983/

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Security was non existent at the WVU game I went to but I suppose they could step it up for the regional.

It's possible.

One game I went to this season, I think the OU Saturday game, the ticket takers were trying to get the scanner to work and after about 1 minute without success the guy looked up at me and the 6 people behind me and said, "y'all know where your seats are? Ok, enjoy the game." then walked away. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Droopy said:

It's possible.

One game I went to this season, I think the OU Saturday game, the ticket takers were trying to get the scanner to work and after about 1 minute without success the guy looked up at me and the 6 people behind me and said, "y'all know where your seats are? Ok, enjoy the game." then walked away. 

I straight walked in to the 2011(?) super regionals. Was hanging out with the left field degenerates then I guess they assumed I was a season ticket holder or whatever. Idk but it was fuckin awesome 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Nice hammer on his chain. I want to see him use that this weekend with the rest of the offense.

Nice, easy swings, through the baseball and into left/center dropping for extra bases/over the fence, scoring runs upon runs until we stand on top of this weekend as Regional champs. Let's. Fucking. Go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is the TL;DR via Dustin:

“The first thing, I think he has the ability to bounce back better than any of our starters,” said Pierce, referencing Stevens’ ability to pitch later in the regional and his background as a reliever. “I think if you balance Pete in front of him, it puts you in a potential of not enough rest. And I like where Tristan is, as far as coming in one day earlier. I also feel like he is our best strike-thrower. And when you play a team like Southern that's going to depend on the running game, you've got to be able to be really good at making them earn everything they get. He can minimize pitches in innings, and so it allows him to possibly get deep in games without utilizing a bunch of pitches.”

Stevens starts Friday. If it goes well, maybe he’s done after 3 and ready Monday. Madden with his gas more likely to need a bit more recovery time than Stevens. He’s likely one and done. Hell Stevens May go 7 with only 50 pitches. That’s a better hedge if we lose game 2 knowing you’ll need an extra win.

7 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

this is going to be such a wet, wet, wet regional... holy shit.  its like rain every 2 hours for the next 5 days

This year is weird weather-wise. Usually I am dying in 98 degree heat during this thing.