Austin Regional Thread

Horny Bull

10 minutes ago, wood said:

I remember one of those against Miami. 2 or 300 people left in the stands. Down by 7 in the 9th. 2 outs. Nobody on ... then we came back and won the got damn game. 

yeah man! I was one of those left to watch it.  I have always loved watching a game live there.  So close to the action and great sight lines.  Good times.  All you had to do was show your student id with the athletics sticker ($50 I seem to recall).  Of course that was also the add/drops era at FEC.  Walked around that place for hours trying to get classes moved around holding a small phone book of class times,days and profs names..cheat sheet in tow of who to take and avoid...by my sr year they added the phone line Tex or something to that affect.

• Hook 'Em 2

I was thinking more about Cams base running play on third. The infield was in and as a runner you are taught to pause on a ground ball. The last thing you want to do is get out at home or get into a run down. Here is the play from a good POV(the first play in the vid) 

So as we can tell from the vid cam did the right thing and paused but the read he had to make is bang bang. That infielder is eyeing Cam the entire time until the last possible second. I think the play would have been much closer than some realize. I’m not saying he was right but that’s a tougher decision because the read and being a guy with not the best speed on the bases even with the fielder going to the ground. I think if it was Kennedy he scores easy because he trust his speed to get there in time. 

This is what Pierce said about the baserunning. Doesn't sound like he told them to do what they did.

"The call with Cam was, we're not going on ball down, we're not going on contact. When you're going on contact ... they hit a line drive and that allows you to get doubled up cause you're not anticipating it... but I think that it's an instinctive play that he just didn't make. Once the ball got past the mound and the fielder goes down, when McLain goes down, you've gotta go. So you've got to maintain your position, see the ball past the mound; once you see that, if you got any kind of angle or the fielder goes down, it's just an instinct play and he kind of froze. I don't know what Dylan was doing, to be honest with you. We've got second and third with nobody out. We talk about being aggressive versus reckless, and I thought he was a little reckless. He thought the ball was further away from Swift. You've got to be 100% sure right there, and you know... he felt bad, but at the same time, it's a costly run, and kind of kept the momentum in their favor there, but fortunately we did a good job of continuing to play."

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

I was thinking more about Cams base running play on third. The infield was in and as a runner you are taught to pause on a ground ball. The last thing you want to do is get out at home or get into a run down. Here is the play from a good POV(the first play in the vid) 

So as we can tell from the vid cam did the right thing and paused but the read he had to make is bang bang. That infielder is eyeing Cam the entire time until the last possible second. I think the play would have been much closer than some realize. I’m not saying he was right but that’s a tougher decision because the read and being a guy with not the best speed on the bases even with the fielder going to the ground. I think if it was Kennedy he scores easy because he trust his speed to get there in time. 

I actually wasn’t terribly upset at his decision, you explained it well. 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This is what Pierce said about the baserunning. Doesn't sound like he told them to do what they did.

"The call with Cam was, we're not going on ball down, we're not going on contact. When you're going on contact ... they hit a line drive and that allows you to get doubled up cause you're not anticipating it... but I think that it's an instinctive play that he just didn't make. Once the ball got past the mound and the fielder goes down, when McLain goes down, you've gotta go. So you've got to maintain your position, see the ball past the mound; once you see that, if you got any kind of angle or the fielder goes down, it's just an instinct play and he kind of froze. I don't know what Dylan was doing, to be honest with you. We've got second and third with nobody out. We talk about being aggressive versus reckless, and I thought he was a little reckless. He thought the ball was further away from Swift. You've got to be 100% sure right there, and you know... he felt bad, but at the same time, it's a costly run, and kind of kept the momentum in their favor there, but fortunately we did a good job of continuing to play."

This makes sense and is a good explanation. I would just ask Pierce why he trust Cam making an instinctive read when hes been one of the worst base runners on the team. Thanks for the quote. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Couple things. Melendez needs to move down. He’s been the worst violators of man on 3rd less than 2 outs and not getting them home. Take out his 10 game stretch mid-season and he’s mediocre.

Pierce may have played a part but Williams and Campbell fouled it up. Campbell took off after he saw the ball on the ground. He chose poorly as to when to run. The only way Pierce screwed up Williams was telling him not to go on contact, which is pretty common coach’s decision. I think 2nd and 3rd you go on contact every time unless it’s right back to the pitcher. Williams should have scored the way it played out no matter whether he was going on contact or not and that is on him.

I’ve been on the Kennedy bandwagon. I wouldn’t bunt with him with runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs. I might give him one bunt attempts but getting him down two strikes increases the odds of total failure. Chances of a double play are slim. 1st and 3rd are only marginally worse than 2nd and 3rd with the Kennedy/Antico speed combo. Last night that was Pierces biggest error strategically. Plus I think it was a righty/lefty matchup.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Couple things. Melendez needs to move down. He’s been the worst violators of man on 3rd less than 2 outs and not getting them home. Take out his 10 game stretch mid-season and he’s mediocre.

Pierce may have played a part but Williams and Campbell fouled it up. Campbell took off after he saw the ball on the ground. He chose poorly as to when to run. The only way Pierce screwed up Williams was telling him not to go on contact, which is pretty common coach’s decision. I think 2nd and 3rd you go on contact every time unless it’s right back to the pitcher. Williams should have scored the way it played out no matter whether he was going on contact or not and that is on him.

I’ve been on the Kennedy bandwagon. I wouldn’t bunt with him with runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs. I might give him one bunt attempts but getting him down two strikes increases the odds of total failure. Chances of a double play are slim. 1st and 3rd are only marginally worse than 2nd and 3rd with the Kennedy/Antico speed combo. Last night that was Pierces biggest error strategically. Plus I think it was a righty/lefty matchup.

With the infield in you don’t want to go on contact. You’re basically giving them a free out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
2 hours ago, PantsTent said:
Am I on crazy pills or did they change it form 7pm to 8pm? I had it in my head all weekend that it was 7pm tonight.

You're right it is 7 PM (MT).

Actually, game is at 6 PM (MST) on ASU's home clock.  

36 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Thank you, didn’t feel like starting another war in the game thread but thought the same thing live.

9 minutes ago, Droopy said:

It will be ASU. Hope Fairfield can get them to use more pitching, if possible. 

It don’t make a shit as we are going to fuck stomp whomever plays us tonight but every little bit helps. 

Think this one's a little early to call, chief. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

With the infield in you don’t want to go on contact. You’re basically giving them a free out. 

I’ve never seen an infielder take 5/6 steps and throw out the runner at home. That’s what happened on the Williams play or would have had to happen. Not even giving consideration to diving for it. 100% misread on Williams. It wasn’t hit hard. It was not hit on a line. Unless Pierce says only go if it’s thru, that’s on Williams.

Ok. Runners don’t go so now 2nd and 3rd one out. Unless you get a hit or error wild pitch/passed ball, you are almost 100% guaranteed to get a maximum of 1 run. Let’s say you get a sac fly on the next batter then an out of any sort. You score 1 run. And you know what? If you run on contact and are thrown at home for the first out, you still score 1 run. Your risks are double play but guess what? That is mitigated somewhat because we have speed and it would have to be hit right to a fielder. At the same time those types of hit balls keeps the runner at 3rd anyway.

Now, let’s say they throw home and you score. Your chances of scoring that second guy increase dramatically because he’s at 3rd with no outs instead at 2nd with 1 out but a potential big inning because one run in, no outs and more pressure also is on the table. Another alternative is they throw to first anyway, the run scores and we get a 2nd run on that sac fly.

If the lead runner is dead to rights, get in a rundown to get 2nd and 3rd. You are in the same situation.

Your downsides are only 1 scores on a base hit (which could still score from 1st and 3rd) and score none because of a double play.

I’ll take the upside play. Even more so because we fail to get them home too often.

Between 1st and 2nd seems to be the ASU weakness for a base hit.    But this pitching by committee doesn't seem survivable should they win.    

edit: this is stupid, no shit Sherlock.  

Edited by Mdhorn

You have to be a blind fucktard to not see the sloppy baserunning last night. It's not being "negative" to point out something that could obviously cost us big against elite competition. Our formula is elite pitching, elite defense, and solid fundamentals. If we execute in those areas we can afford to strand some runners here and there. But if the fundamentals fail, it will prevent us from winning it all. Thats the only point that was being made last night. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

You have to be a blind fucktard to not see the sloppy baserunning last night. It's not being "negative" to point out something that could obviously cost us big against elite competition. Our formula is elite pitching, elite defense, and solid fundamentals. If we execute in those areas we can afford to strand some runners here and there. But if the fundamentals fail, it will prevent us from winning it all. Thats the only point that was being made last night. 

It's weird. Everyone understood perfectly the first 100 times that point was made. But thank you for making sure we get it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, TornACL said:

It's weird. Everyone understood perfectly the first 100 times that point was made. But thank you for making sure we get it. 

BS there's all kind of hurr durr look at the score stuff still being posted. ASU's abysmal pitching took them out of the game. They were hardly competitive as a result. Just because thats the case doesnt mean its wrong to pay attention to whether or not we are executing the small stuff. I hope Pierce gave them the Augie treatment when the conversation turned to baserunning. 

6 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

God this stupid fucking strawman is such a beating. I don't see anyone saying our baserunning was perfect last night or has been perfect all year. The point is that we can commit a baserunning error or two and still be the best team in the country. We make up for it in plenty other areas - no one in the country plays or is playing perfect ball but we are as close to doing that as all but a handful of other teams. 

ASU had a couple of atrocious errors last night. Because that's what most baseball teams do. Even in Omaha most teams are going to make a couple mistakes per game. 

7 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’ve never seen an infielder take 5/6 steps and throw out the runner at home. That’s what happened on the Williams play or would have had to happen. Not even giving consideration to diving for it. 100% misread on Williams. It wasn’t hit hard. It was not hit on a line. Unless Pierce says only go if it’s thru, that’s on Williams.

Ok. Runners don’t go so now 2nd and 3rd one out. Unless you get a hit or error wild pitch/passed ball, you are almost 100% guaranteed to get a maximum of 1 run. Let’s say you get a sac fly on the next batter then an out of any sort. You score 1 run. And you know what? If you run on contact and are thrown at home for the first out, you still score 1 run. Your risks are double play but guess what? That is mitigated somewhat because we have speed and it would have to be hit right to a fielder. At the same time those types of hit balls keeps the runner at 3rd anyway.

Now, let’s say they throw home and you score. Your chances of scoring that second guy increase dramatically because he’s at 3rd with no outs instead at 2nd with 1 out but a potential big inning because one run in, no outs and more pressure also is on the table. Another alternative is they throw to first anyway, the run scores and we get a 2nd run on that sac fly.

If the lead runner is dead to rights, get in a rundown to get 2nd and 3rd. You are in the same situation.

Your downsides are only 1 scores on a base hit (which could still score from 1st and 3rd) and score none because of a double play.

I’ll take the upside play. Even more so because we fail to get them home too often.

You said always run in that situation and again that’s giving them free outs, and asu is one of the best defensive teams in nation, it’s the last thing you want to do.  The rest of what you said is not how you want to manage your opportunities, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DoneWithit said:

You said always run in that situation and again that’s giving them free outs, and asu is one of the best defensive teams in nation, it’s the last thing you want to do.  The rest of what you said is not how you want to manage your opportunities, imo. 

Username does not check out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

BS there's all kind of hurr durr look at the score stuff still being posted. ASU's abysmal pitching took them out of the game. They were hardly competitive as a result. Just because thats the case doesnt mean its wrong to pay attention to whether or not we are executing the small stuff. I hope Pierce gave them the Augie treatment when the conversation turned to baserunning. 

Tell it again!

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

God this stupid fucking strawman is such a beating. I don't see anyone saying our baserunning was perfect last night or has been perfect all year. The point is that we can commit a baserunning error or two and still be the best team in the country. We make up for it in plenty other areas - no one in the country plays or is playing perfect ball but we are as close to doing that as all but a handful of other teams. 

ASU had a couple of atrocious errors last night. Because that's what most baseball teams do. Even in Omaha most teams are going to make a couple mistakes per game. 

Stick to your white claws and aggy sunshine pumping while people talk baseball in here. We wont win it all if we give up runs on the base path. Its a big deal in playoff baseball. 

• Drool 1

Guest Lobo

They're gonna slug this thing out with one another for another 2 hours.  the utility infielders will be pitching before it's done.  

Hopefully somebody is not gonna emerge tonight that we'll make a name for like Northern Iowa in basketball.  Should be glorified BP by 8:30p tonight. 

Stick to your white claws and aggy sunshine pumping while people talk baseball in here. We wont win it all if we give up runs on the base path. Its a big deal in playoff baseball. 

You're a great poster. You should post more. 

I thought we were already playing playoff baseball and hammering the shit out of teams but apparently it doesn't count until we're playing Vandy. You should tell that to Florida.

• Hook 'Em 1

Cam's issue was as Pierce said.  instead of maintaining position he started back to the base as the ball went up the middle even before it got to the pitcher.  if he maintains a bit of momentum home, once you see the fielder dive you go.

Dylan's was a complete brain fart but Pierce said it more politically.