RIP Ned Beatty

WhatTheBuck

16 minutes ago, slorch said:

Deliverance...his first role.  That's hard to believe.

Even harder to believe it was generating a lot of contemporary memes even just last year, and I hate that overshadowed so much of what he did.

Spoiler

zr5tbfa6fq151.jpg

zr5tbfa6fq151.jpg 

He was awesome in 1941, and had an amazing filmography overall.

58 minutes ago, Hate said:

Damn...He was great in every movie role that I saw him play.  One of my favorite roles was in 1941, when he's destroying the house trying to shoot the cannon at the Japanese sub.

https://youtu.be/zIJgAMpRG-k

I’ve got 1941 on DVD and watched it again within the last few years. (Judging by the way I rotate my stacks of DVD’s I watched it since the last time I watched Young Frankenstein.)

It’s not awesome but it was better than I remembered. I originally saw it in the theater. There are some solid special effects and decent comedy. 

47 minutes ago, futureman said:

his characters were often good at fostering hatred. I guess that means he was a hell of an actor.

RIP

That’s a weird take. I thought he often seemed pretty loveable. Even when he was working for arch criminal Lex Luthor.

• Like 1

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s a weird take. I thought he often seemed pretty loveable. Even when he was working for arch criminal Lex Luthor.

admittedly I don’t know much of his work. he was an ass in deliverance and a real piece of shit in shooter. didn’t realize he was rudy's dad before today. don’t remember old superman. 

It kinda makes me a little sad that he's remembered mainly for one uncomfortable scene in his very first movie. I'm sure he had a good enough sense of humor to endure a lot of that through the decades of doing good work.

20 minutes ago, DougO said:

It kinda makes me a little sad that he's remembered mainly for one uncomfortable scene in his very first movie. I'm sure he had a good enough sense of humor to endure a lot of that through the decades of doing good work.

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Im 44. I think I first think of Supermen because I obviously wasn’t allowed to watch Deliverance as a kid. But yeah, the next memory is squeal like a pig. RIP.

Superman II was shamefully ruined by the change of directors, also. Check out the Donner Cut, the closet thing to the original director's vision, a far better movie than the goofy version the studio put out by Richard Lester. They ditched Donner after he had shot 2/3 of the movie, filmed along with the first Chistopher Reeve Superman. Superman II probably would have been the best Superman movie, although it was the one that the Superman I ending was first intended for, which was the weakest part of it.

Edited by DougO

33 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Im 44. I think I first think of Supermen because I obviously wasn’t allowed to watch Deliverance as a kid. But yeah, the next memory is squeal like a pig. RIP.

I had no idea you grew up in the Michigan athletic department.

RIP, Ned.  His corrupt Senator was especially vile in Shooter.  I'm so old I actually saw Deliverance in a theater when it was first released.  There was a "Moon River" quality to the squealing scene, when one re-evaluates decisions in an instant.  James Dickey's gum chewing suspcious sheriff was more threatening than the hillbillies.  What a film.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Hate said:

I can't believe that was his first movie.  How does that go to a new actor?

Agent:  Hey, the good news is you got the part!

Beatty:  That's great, but what's the bad news??

Agent:  Uh...

And I thought MY first job was a pain in the ass.

On 6/13/2021 at 10:47 PM, Lhorn said:

He was good on Roseanne as Dan’s dad. 

And Dan did a good impression of him. John Goodman can also play a good villain, like in O Brother, Where Art Thou? But like Beatty he mostly seems like a lovable guy. That was some solid casting. 

Wanted to also give shout-outs to his hilarious role as Dean Martin in "Back to School"....and his stoic crossover Russian role in "The Fourth Protocol"