The 01-06-21 Select Committee Thread

Satchel

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Executive Privilege is the new Divine Right.

Reminds me of the asshole neighbors who are trying to start shit with me and saying I had no right to claim jus primae noctis.  Well, "neighbor" not "neighbors" because the wife is not complaining, but anyways, what were we talking about?

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Reminds me of the asshole neighbors who are trying to start shit with me and saying I had no right to claim jus primae noctis.  Well, "neighbor" not "neighbors" because the wife is not complaining, but anyways, what were we talking about?

Wait, you get to have sex with your neighbor's wife after eating at Arby's? 

Your HOA sounds way more fun than mine.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/08/us/politics/bannon-jan-6-executive-privilege.html?searchResultPosition=1

Time to send those criminal referrals.  Fuck Steve Bannon and Fuck Donald Trump.  Both should be in jail.

I'm blocked from that, but if it's about this below, it's about like we figured...slow roll and delay all around. Meanwhile, momentum is building in the other direction.

wilson1.png.f013c321c4a234fb301e5ee1cc44245e.png

Wilson2.png.d13580f0d5d6b0e8cae7fce4eb88d43c.png

Wilson3.png.312a13d42fd348997d4f9aecd47a3d95.png

Interesting that Meadows and Patel are cooperating.  Inasmuch as they were actual Executive employees/officials at the time, I think their claims for executive privilege would be strongest.

Bannon is going to get cornholed by a criminal referral.  A misdemeanor cornholing, but penetration nonetheless.

An accessible piece on it.  https://today.law.harvard.edu/can-donald-trump-still-assert-executive-privilege/

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Interesting that Meadows and Patel are cooperating.  Inasmuch as they were actual Executive employees/officials at the time, I think their claims for executive privilege would be strongest.

Bannon is going to get cornholed by a criminal referral.  A misdemeanor cornholing, but penetration nonetheless.

How would they have executive privilege?  Doesn't it attach to the executive--i.e. Biden.  I don't think a past executive employee can invoke the privilege if the executive branch is waiving the privilege (to the extent executive privilege could even possibly apply to a plan to overthrow the government).

• Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

How would they have executive privilege?  Doesn't it attach to the executive--i.e. Biden.  I don't think a past executive employee can invoke the privilege if the executive branch is waiving the privilege (to the extent executive privilege could even possibly apply to a plan to overthrow the government).

Yes it does.  But assuming any court looks beyond who asserts the privilege, Trump's claim is more supportable to actual executive branch officials than some loose-ass "adviser" like Bannon.

Also, the range and substance of the communications between actual officials and some guy like Bannon is more likely to support an executive privilege claim.

And set aside the "wrongdoing" aspect.  The whole topic of the January 6 rally is outside the normal scope of Presidential duties.  It was a fucking campaign rally at its most benign.  And communications about that and "advice received" should be entitled to minimal executive privilege protection.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Executivepriv.png.8416afd00bf7fa8c2f9e9ab6eecee47c.png

Sorry I cut the text off, CNN has the story in more detail; I have had to change my schedule and keep missing the Press conferences.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/08/politics/white-house-privilege-january-6-committee/index.html

It won’t make a shit.  Trump will walk and, likely, be the next potus.

IMO, even the claim of executive privelege for Trump or actual offical members of the executive branch under him (Not Bannon as he wasn't official in any way, shape, or form) is very fucking weak since the activities under question are related to his being a candidate for President and the election and NOT his actual duties as President, which he wasn't fucking doing as he was being a giant, whiny titty-baby LOSER.

Or this could happen and church would be out:

“Garland has the power to rule out another Trump run by citing “section 3 of the 14th amendment, which bars anyone from holding office who ‘engaged in insurrection,’ against the U.S.,” Robert Reich, the former Labor secretary, recently wrote in The Guardian.”

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Satchel said:

“Garland has the power to rule out another Trump run by citing “section 3 of the 14th amendment, which bars anyone from holding office who ‘engaged in insurrection,’ against the U.S.,” Robert Reich, the former Labor secretary, recently wrote in The Guardian.”

That would be awesome.

And very few Trump supporters would rise up and do anything to help him.  His rallies would dwindle more and more, as he realizes that his followers don't give a shit about somebody who can't run.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That would be awesome.

And very few Trump supporters would rise up and do anything to help him.  His rallies would dwindle more and more, as he realizes that his followers don't give a shit about somebody who can't run.

A good many would cosplay Gravy Seals and wave signs. One or two deeply disturbed types would blow something up and kill some people.

In other words, the same things they'd do if nobody stands up to Trump.

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

A good many would cosplay Gravy Seals and wave signs. One or two deeply disturbed types would blow something up and kill some people.

In other words, the same things they'd do if nobody stands up to Trump.

Wonder how fast all of the people around him (Flynn, etc.) would bail the moment they realize the gravy train is over.

19 hours ago, Satchel said:

I wouldn't take that as gospel truth.  The 14th says that, and says how that "disabilty" may be removed, but is silent as to how it is determined.  

No Person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I wouldn't take that as gospel truth.  The 14th says that, and says how that "disabilty" may be removed, but is silent as to how it is determined.  

I read that before posting. It seems to be intentionally silent so as to allow any AG to at least make the case.

27 minutes ago, That Guy said:

We all agree that it's necessary.

We just don't have any fucking clue what it's doing, or what the schedule is, or why they won't finally sack up and arrest the seditious pieces of shit that are defying their subpoenas. 

This committee is essential. They are one of the last bastions of the Republic left, standing between us and a cult of fascist morons.

6275dcbcfbca3a252ef31edcd1bd1203.gif

A ‘tranche’ is a subjective measure of the quantity of Karens in a Batch.

remember that four Karens make a Tranches.  Eight tranches make a batch.  2 Batches make a political party.  

The Committee has a phone number separate from their tip line if anyone would like to express the sense of urgency regarding the matter:

The Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol

Longworth House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-7800

I have not called yet, so I don't know if it is voice mail or a live person but it is an action step people can take.

8 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Will it though?

Three other Trump associates faced subpoena deadlines last week: former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, former Defense Department official Kash Patel and former White House social media chief Dan Scavino. But none are flouting the committee’s orders as openly as Bannon.

“The select committee has agreed to short postponements of Mr. Patel’s and Mr. Meadows’s appearances as they continue to engage with our investigation,” a committee aide who was not authorized to speak publicly about the matter told HuffPost. “Because service of Mr. Scavino’s subpoena was delayed, the select committee has postponed his scheduled deposition.”

This is why Dems lose.  Rs would have all of these people in contempt from the moment they defied anything and probably even if they fully cooperated.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Will it though?

This is why Dems lose.  Rs would have all of these people in contempt from the moment they defied anything and probably even if they fully cooperated.

Congress, whether R or D, has three potential remedies when someone defies a subpoena. 

First is to arrest and detain them by the Sergeant at Arms, presumably until they testify. Uncommon, probably constestable by lawsuit in the form of writ of habeas corpus.  Practically and logistically difficult as the SofA doesn't really have a fugitive task force.

Second is a civil action to compel testimony, which basically turns Congress' order into  court order, if Congress wins.  The court order can be enforced by fines, coercive detention (jail until you cooperate), etc.

Third is a criminal prosecution for contempt of Congress, which results in fines and imprisonment not conditional on cooperation and can be repeated over and over each time the subpoena is not complied with. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/2/192

Each of the remedies requires a majority vote of the house issuing the subpoena to initiate.  The criminal prosecution requires a cooperative DOJ or US Attorney.  Two of the three are legal proceedings, with the criminal being faster than the civil.  The third probably devolves into a civil suit.

These things are proceeding apace, for what they are.

Also, I suspect the testimony of these jackwagons isn't all that important.  The documents will tell the tale, as well as other witnesses.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

This is my shocked face.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/10/15/capitol-police-officer-charged-january-6-516088

A Capitol Police officer has been charged with helping a participant in the Jan. 6 Capitol attack attempt to obstruct justice by deleting incriminating social media posts, federal prosecutors announced Friday.

^
that awkward moment when you realize you can still make it home safely to your family at night by stopping off for Applebee’s takeout instead of trying to murder elected officials at your seat of government on global live television. 

I hope a fellow inmate crushes his head In with a 45 pound weight in the yard and sends his dented skull to his family with a note that says “you were born to a dad who should not have been”

Edited by Lobo