The 01-06-21 Select Committee Thread

Satchel

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

He will be held in contempt.  Fuck it.  Send all these idiots to jail until they decide to cooperate.  Sounds like the committee got some information from media and phone companies that might not allow Meadows to lie.  At least, that was what the article I read indicated.

Hardly. In the meantime, Bannon's trial date is set for......July. In the meantime, Mr. "Strap In" is going to continue his on air diatribes against democracy. They made the system, the use the system to hurt others and they abuse it for their own benefit. Law and order is their motto, not rule of law....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Hardly. In the meantime, Bannon's trial date is set for......July. In the meantime, Mr. "Strap In" is going to continue his on air diatribes against democracy. They made the system, the use the system to hurt others and they abuse it for their own benefit. Law and order is their motto, not rule of law....

This.  July?  Fucking July?  Who gives a shit?  What is the point?  No one will remember or care at that point.  I've said it before, but our system of justice is useless in the age of instant information.  We are running a 20th century (at best) system in the 21st century.  Shit's going down.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

25 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This.  July?  Fucking July?  Who gives a shit?  What is the point?  No one will remember or care at that point.  I've said it before, but our system of justice is useless in the age of instant information.  We are running a 20th century (at best) system in the 21st century.  Shit's going down.

@Lobo talks about Trump being a good grifter man and perhaps of below average intelligence, but ALL of these guys (and women) and most especially Trump know that in addition to delay, delay, delay that they can overwhelm the cycle with shit and no one can keep up with the storm, the dam is breached and the water is pouring in from every direction. One thing they don't do is give up, they just change tactics.

Hatch Act violations by various family and staff

Federal Election Commission violations including the phone call to the Georgia SoS.

Insider Trading and other stock manipulations

PPE scams

Tax dodges

Emoluments

the entire Big Lie Propaganda machine

The entire bubble surrounding this man is corrupt and cruel and there is no sense of urgency, no one paying attention to the mass psychosis that is compelling citizens to turn away from reason and instead support the rise of authoritarian leader(s) and fascist groups (Proud Boys, etc).

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

I can't fucking believe we're going to let some of the absolute dumbest people on earth destroy American democracy.

38 page powerpoint about "options for January 6"?  If that's not sedition, I don't know what is.  Quite simply, we lack the collective spine to do what needs to be done to save this democracy.  It will be lost in 2024.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

38 page powerpoint about "options for January 6"?  If that's not sedition, I don't know what is.  Quite simply, we lack the collective spine to do what needs to be done to save this democracy.  It will be lost in 2024.

Wonder what kind of shenanigans we'll see in 2022 to ensure that the republicans take back the senate and the house?

3 minutes ago, retread said:

Wonder what kind of shenanigans we'll see in 2022 to ensure that the republicans take back the senate and the house?

I don't think it will take shenanigans to take back the House.  I think people have stopped paying attention now that Biden is president and will either not turn out or will revert back to the notion that a divided government is somehow beneficial and will vote for Rs.  Senate doesn't matter.  House will not certify the votes in 2024 and shit will hit the fan.

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't think it will take shenanigans to take back the House.  I think people have stopped paying attention now that Biden is president and will either not turn out or will revert back to the notion that a divided government is somehow beneficial and will vote for Rs.  Senate doesn't matter.  House will not certify the votes in 2024 and shit will hit the fan.

Heard an interview with Ben Ginsburg, the Republican version of Marc Elias, advocating revision of the Electoral Count Act to take some of the vagary out of it.  He does not seem to be an insane Trumper.

He pointed out that no matter what happens with the House, Kamala Harris or another D will be the VP and nothing happens in the House until the VP gives the green light.  And, that Harris could potentially actually pull the Pence scenario. The bigger danger is at the state level.

He also opined that if the loser loses by shenanigans, there will be an outcry, at least as loud as the Big Lie, and, there may be some actual legal recourse.

Edited by TwiceHorn

If it depends on Congress doing the evil deed, don't both houses have to agree to object to a state's electors? If the Rs take the House and Senate in 2022, then what's to stop them from doing that?  

I seem to remember a scenario like that being laid out in one of the news articles at the end of last year. Here's one of them: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/11/what-if-trump-refuses-concede/616424/

https://ballotpedia.org/Can_members_of_Congress_object_to_Electoral_College_results%3F_(2020)[quote]

If both chambers of Congress affirm the objection and the objection results in no one candidate receiving the necessary 270-vote Electoral College majority, the 12th Amendment dictates a congressional process for selecting a president and vice president. The House of Representatives votes to elect the new president. As a bloc, members of the House cast one vote per state, choosing between the three candidates who received the most Electoral College votes. The Senate votes to elect the Vice President, casting one vote per senator. 

Edited by retread
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I wonder how many insurrection attempts there would have been over the years if it had been known the penalty for trying and failing is nothing.

The key is to do an insurrection but disguise it with simple misdemeanors. That way, they can't get you for the insurrection!

On 12/6/2021 at 8:54 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Matthews' memo, sent to the Jan. 6 select committee this month and obtained by POLITICO, includes detailed recollections of the insurrection response as it calls two Army generals — Gen. Charles Flynn, who served as deputy chief of staff for operations on Jan. 6, and Lt. Gen. Walter Piatt, the director of Army staff — “absolute and unmitigated liars” for their characterization of the events of that day. Matthews has never publicly discussed the chaos of the Capitol siege.

Every leader in the D.C. Guard wanted to respond and knew they could respond to the riot at the seat of government” before they were given clearance to do so on Jan. 6, Matthews’ memo reads. Instead, he said, D.C. guard officials “set [sic] stunned watching in the Armory” during the first hours of the attack on Congress during its certification of the 2020 election results.

Matthews’ memo begins by focusing on a 2:30 p.m. conference call on Jan. 6 that included senior military and law enforcement officials, himself and Walker among them. Then-Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund “pleaded” on the call for the immediate deployment of the National Guard to the Capitol, Matthews recalled, saying that rioters had breached the building’s perimeter. Walker has also told Congress that Sund made that plea then. According to Matthews, Flynn and Piatt both opposed the move.

I've felt all along that the real treason would be discovered using this angle. Restraining the Guard from rescuing the Capitol must follow a chain of command to the Secretary of Defense and the White House.

Immediately after the insurrection, it was learned that Michael Flynn's brother had been involved in these decisions to not deploy. The Army immediately stated that Flynn was not involved but merely present (in person or phone, I'm not sure). Flynn said himself that he was the most casual of participants and made zero suggestions about the Guard.

The Army also made the plea not to assume Flynn was in contact with his brother. Flynn was a fine officer of spotless reputation blah blah blah. I stupidly gave it some credence.

The cabal of the Flynn brothers, Trump's last second appointees to Defense, and the Commander in Chief should be under criminal charges. This is the gross abuse of power to overthrow a legal and accurate election.

Where are the mainstream media? Where is CNN? They're not biased, they're just incompetent.

They don't know about military affairs and do a great deal of cheerleading our boys fighting our wars. They prefer to chew the same political fat on their endless panel shows.

Motherfuckers, this is the story! Now they've been caught in a cover-up lying to the public and Congress. The Inspector fucking General is being called into question here. Get off your dead fucking asses and start asking questions. Then keep asking questions.

But no. The TV media will wait until the print media do something which they can quote and then bloviate about for hours if they don't ignore it.

The treason was committed by the actors in this junta. The accessories after the fact are the press. CNN should assign Jim Acosta to this.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, retread said:

If it depends on Congress doing the evil deed, don't both houses have to agree to object to a state's electors? If the Rs take the House and Senate in 2022, then what's to stop them from doing that?  

I seem to remember a scenario like that being laid out in one of the news articles at the end of last year. Here's one of them: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/11/what-if-trump-refuses-concede/616424/

https://ballotpedia.org/Can_members_of_Congress_object_to_Electoral_College_results%3F_(2020)[quote]

Also remember that it will be the 2024 congress that sits on this, not 2022.

Also worth noting that on the two states (PA and AZ) that drew an objection, only a relatively small handful of the shittiest Republicans voted in the respective houses to sustain the objections.

https://www.vox.com/2021/1/6/22218058/republicans-objections-election-results

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also remember that it will be the 2024 congress that sits on this, not 2022.

Also worth noting that on the two states (PA and AZ) that drew an objection, only a relatively small handful of the shittiest Republicans voted in the respective houses to sustain the objections.

https://www.vox.com/2021/1/6/22218058/republicans-objections-election-results

They hadn't been sent alternate slates of electors so I don't think there wasn't any real reason to object (following the coup attempt, prior to which the only reason was to delay the counting). 

The GOP is ensuring that they'll be able to do so next time and the odds that they'll control the House are pretty good. They'll be much better prepared for their next coup attempt, and that's assuming a coup attempt is even necessary. It very well may not be, given their built in advantages and standard Democratic political ineptness.

Unless Dems abolish the filibuster in the next few months, pass the pending voting rights bills, and pack or otherwise reform the Court to ensure that they won't just strike the new bills down, there's no good reason to have hope for American democracy. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I don't think the 2024 plan is to do the Pence plan it is to

1. Redistrict key states with maximum gerrymandering
  2. Suppress the vote to win as much as they can in 2022
  3. Suppress the vote in 2024.  If that doesn't work 
  4. Get the state ledge to invalidate the popular vote results in their states (NM, GA) because of made up "big lie" stuff
  5. Have the state ledge vote to submit an alternate slate of electors.

Now this is when Congress should legitimately object to a slate of electors from a state because they have obviously been tampered with but then Mitch will say... Look the Dems are doing it too.

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I don't think the 2024 plan is to do the Pence plan it is to

1. Redistrict key states with maximum gerrymandering
  2. Suppress the vote to win as much as they can in 2022
  3. Suppress the vote in 2024.  If that doesn't work 
  4. Get the state ledge to invalidate the popular vote results in their states (NM, GA) because of made up "big lie" stuff
  5. Have the state ledge vote to submit an alternate slate of electors.

Now this is when Congress should legitimately object to a slate of electors from a state because they have obviously been tampered with but then Mitch will say... Look the Dems are doing it too.

Mark this. 

Whoever that Congress is, that's 13 months from now.  That has to be enough time for even an incompetent Democratic-led committee to get something to light.  To put some asses in prison.  To expose something of substance.  If they can't understand Democracy, if they can't understand the Law, can they at least understand fucking calendars?  13 months.  GET SOMETHING.  THE FUCK.  DONE.  

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Whoever that Congress is, that's 13 months from now.  That has to be enough time for even an incompetent Democratic-led committee to get something to light.  To put some asses in prison.  To expose something of substance.  If they can't understand Democracy, if they can't understand the Law, can they at least understand fucking calendars?  13 months.  GET SOMETHING.  THE FUCK.  DONE.  

It’s taken them 11 months to subpoena the phone records. What makes you think they’ll get anything done in the next 13 months? hope I’m wrong 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

4 hours ago, Foosters said:

The key is to do an insurrection but disguise it with simple misdemeanors. That way, they can't get you for the insurrection!

The R's don't need an insurrection.  They just need the Ds to go to sleep and not show up at the polls, and make sure they've scared the R base enough to get out and vote.

The key is targeted advertising through social media, TV (sports in particular), churches, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

The R's don't need an insurrection.  They just need the Ds to go to sleep and not show up at the polls, and make sure they've scared the R base enough to get out and vote.

The key is targeted advertising through social media, TV (sports in particular), churches, etc.

Este

14 hours ago, Satchel said:

This should be dismissed post haste since the Speech Clause prohibits judicial interference during congressional investigations.

Sorry, but inaccurate.  The speech and debate clause broadly protects congresscritters from judicial interference, in some cases. It does not immunize congressional proceedings from judicial review.

But, a couple of things are likely to happen here.  First, Trump's executive privilege claim is about to be trashed by the DC Circuit, subject to appeal to the Supreme Court.  Resolution of that will mostly resolve Meadows' claims.

Second, unless EVERYTHING the Committee seeks is covered by executive privilege, which is unlikely, you have no grounds to completely defy a subpoena.  One can really only "safely" object to specific questions on privilege grounds, not the entire appearance.  Interesting sidenote, Congress does not have to respect claims of attorney-client or other traditional legal privileges.  Those cannot form a legitimate basis for resisting a congressional subpoena.

This latter thing is going to hang up Bannon and Meadows rather bigtime in any of their various legal proceedings concerning their subpoenas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Unless Dems abolish the filibuster in the next few months, pass the pending voting rights bills, and pack or otherwise reform the Court to ensure that they won't just strike the new bills down, there's no good reason to have hope for American democracy. 

I agree completely, but also don’t believe Senate Dems will do it. Manchin and Sinema are never going to do anything like this 

18 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Stringer Bell would advise him to not make a PowerPoint about a criminal conspiracy.

Yeah, I mean I always knew Bill Gates was somehow involved in a grand plot to turn us over to a Worldwide Government with him up on that dais.  But I did not have Attempted Overthrow of U.S. Government by U.S. Government Power Point on my 2021 bingo card.  

On 12/7/2021 at 3:19 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I believe this, too. Throw in the shit Trump was doing, the legality of which was being litigated too fucking slowly and then was thrown out because the cases were declared moot once he left office. Which is bullshit. The office remains. If he’s elected again, the impotent process will begin anew.

The Justice system has failed us in our hour of greatest need.

• Rage+1 1