The 01-06-21 Select Committee Thread

Satchel

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

apparently trump doesn't text or email.  he can also barely tweet (back when he was allowed) and doesn't know how to share tweets, which is why he prints them out and signs them and sends them to people.

none of that was a joke.  i am merely stating facts.

they likely tried to call him or call the white house switchboard to get him on the line, but as far as we know, none of that worked.  so they texted meadows.  in fact, one could argue that his ignoring of calls led to these texts that are now getting him, meadows, and others in deep shit. 

That’s right. I forgot about that. 

My main fear with this committee is that their days are numbered. It won’t take much to flip the house back to red with new gop controlled gerrymandering and the normal loss of seats for the presidents party in an off cycle election.

however getting these texts read out loud and identifying the sender was a great move. The right can’t push back on the evidence other than attempting to ignore it.

48 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My main fear with this committee is that their days are numbered. It won’t take much to flip the house back to red with new gop controlled gerrymandering and the normal loss of seats for the presidents party in an off cycle election.

however getting these texts read out loud and identifying the sender was a great move. The right can’t push back on the evidence other than attempting to ignore it.

Whatever SCOTUS does with 'bortion is likely to blow up in the GQP's face and shift a lot of women back to pulling the donkey lever.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

apparently trump doesn't text or email.  he can also barely tweet (back when he was allowed) and doesn't know how to share tweets, which is why he prints them out and signs them and sends them to people.

they likely tried to call him or call the white house switchboard to get him on the line, but as far as we know, none of that worked.  so they texted meadows.  in fact, one could argue that his ignoring of calls led to these texts that are now getting him, meadows, and others in deep shit. 

He may not email much, but he does email. Don’t ask me how I know, but I know for a fact. That’s all I will say. Anyway, carry on. 

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Whatever SCOTUS does with 'bortion is likely to blow up in the GQP's face and shift a lot of women back to pulling the donkey lever.

That’s only if they completely overturn Roe. I’m not convinced yet that’s what they’re going to do but it’s certainly on the table. 

As for the committee, 2022 needs to be one criminal referral after another to the DOJ with Dotard the final one at the end of the year. To take down the mob boss you first go after the lieutenants and see who breaks.  A year is enough time to do that. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Trumps total depravity on January 6 in which he did absolutely nothing and was obviously pleased about it all means that fat fuck must hang. There is no alternative. Either trump hangs or the country dissolves. It’s that simple. 

Get used to disappointment. 21st century America doesn’t have the spine. 

• Rage+1 2

16 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

image.gif.55948700ccff6d33560982a04203bcb1.gif

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/18/politics/ali-alexander-january-6-investigation-gop-lawmakers/index.html

"Stop the Steal" leader Ali Alexander has handed over to the House Select Committee investigating January 6 thousands of text messages and communication records that include his interactions with members of Congress and former President Donald Trump's inner circle leading up to the riot, according to a court document submitted late Friday night.

The revelations emerged from Alexander's challenge to the committee's effort to obtain his phone records directly from his telecommunications provider.

"Alexander received a notice from Verizon that the Select Committee had subpoenaed Verizon for nine categories of information associated with Alexander's personal cell phone number," the filing says. "The data sought is not pertinent to the investigation and sweeps up privileged communications between Alexander and clergy, Alexander and people he spiritually counsels and Alexander and his respective attorneys."

Alexander has provided communications with Republican Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona, possibly GOP Rep. Mo Brooks of Alabama, and further detailed a call that Alexander believes included unnamed members of Congress, according to the filing. 

On November 24 he provided the committee with more than 1,500 mobile messages "sent and received by him and people he corresponded with," the filing says.

"Mr. Alexander testified that he had phone conversations with Rep. Brooks' staff about a "Dear Colleague" letter and how his activists could be helpful," the filing says. "Mr. Alexander believes he exchanged a text message with Rep. Brooks, contents which he provided to the Committee."

Alexander also told the committee about a "short and pleasant call" he had with Kimberly Guilfoyle, a fundraiser and girlfriend of Trump's son, Donald Jr., in which the two spoke about the ongoing Georgia election and the Republican 2022 primaries, according to the filing. 

Guilfoyle also thanked Alexander for "being a leader on voting rights and creating the 'Stop the Steal' movement," the filing says.

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Wut 

It was a weak defense he threw out there, to pretend like he was protesting.  Sounds like he's been cooperating with the commission.

Also, Alex Jones has been talking to the commission - he was supposed to show up for a hearing, but they pushed it off, and I think it was CNN mentioned that his people are in talks with the Committee.

My guess is that those guys (and a few others at their level) have decided they don't want to go to prison.

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The D’s can always empower a Special Prosecutor before the dissolution of the Select Committee.

• Hook 'Em 1

If they can’t find out the truth in over a year then there’s nothing to find. And we all know there is. 

Also the republicans, even if they take the house, can’t prevent the department of justice from conducting an investigation based on whatever the house committee finds. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

If they can’t find out the truth in over a year then there’s nothing to find. And we all know there is. 

Also the republicans, even if they take the house, can’t prevent the department of justice from conducting an investigation based on whatever the house committee finds. 

This is true and somewhat comforting.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

The whole "investigation" has been the investigative equivalent of a monkey fucking a football. 

100% par for the course for Congressional investigations.  That's why the laws aren't really set up to make them uber-powerful.  They're bad at it, and always have been.

On 12/18/2021 at 5:21 PM, Satchel said:

can’t prevent the department of justice

In an administration that values the rule of law, this is true.  It mostly remained true even during the Trump administration.

Thankfully, regardless of what happens in congress in 2022, we can expect the White House to leave the DOJ alone for another couple of years.  If the investigation runs into 2025, and a possible Trump 2 Electric Boogaloo, or whatever shitheel they put up. I'd be very concerned about this.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And, the main target won't be a sitting President.  That, more than any single thing, is what "undid" the Mueller investigation.

This. Whenever people make the argument that trump is gonna just slip away again they are ignoring this critical fact. 

Before he became president trump always slipped away because he’s rich and most people didn’t care and for at least forty years the rich have been getting away with the things he did.

Once he became the president he immediately became the most powerful person in the world cloaked in all sorts of powers that would very easily prevent the comeuppance he deserved. 

Trump instinctively understood that which is why he attacked the capitol to prevent Biden from being certified as president. He knew the power he was losing that day. His only regret on January 6 was his coup attempt failed.

Now that’s gone. He’s either going to jail or fleeing the country. 

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

This. Whenever people make the argument that trump is gonna just slip away again they are ignoring this critical fact. 

Before he became president trump always slipped away because he’s rich and most people didn’t care and for at least forty years the rich have been getting away with the things he did.

Once he became the president he immediately became the most powerful person in the world cloaked in all sorts of powers that would very easily prevent the comeuppance he deserved. 

Trump instinctively understood that which is why he attacked the capitol to prevent Biden from being certified as president. He knew the power he was losing that day. His only regret on January 6 was his coup attempt failed.

Now that’s gone. He’s either going to jail or fleeing the country. 

I just had an imagined nightmare scenario.  

DOJ commences an investigation of Trump personally, or even brings charges, in time for him to commit to running in 2024.  Out of sheer desperation to terminate the investigation or prosecution, he runs, coaxes the critical states to commit electoral shenanigans to insure his win, etc. etc. Takes office and becomes Donald Fulgencio Benito Adolf Josef Augusto Fidel Vladimir Hugo Trump, dictator and jefe por vida.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

DOJ commences an investigation of Trump personally, or even brings charges, in time for him to commit to running in 2024.  Out of sheer desperation to terminate the investigation or prosecution, he runs, coaxes the critical states to commit electoral shenanigans to insure his win, etc. etc. Takes office and becomes Donald Fulgencio Benito Adolf Josef Augusto Fidel Vladimir Hugo Trump, dictator and jefe por vida.

You realize this is the most likely thing to happen, right?

Well, that might be too optimistic about the DOJ ever actually investigating him...

• Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think New York and Georgia will bring state charges against him, as well as the DOJ with federal charges for the insurrection and he’s convicted of all three prior to that happening in 2024. 

He can then participate in the 2024 presidential debates from the prison he’s rotting in.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

6m3be.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

6m3be.jpg

Beat me to it.

38 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean, I know his running in 2024 and the subsequent events if he wins are the problem.

It had not really occurred to me that investigation/prosecution might push him into a run that he was otherwise not going to make.

Yeah, I don't see him running now that's learned he can grift in politics like fucking crazy without actually running, but him feeling like he has to run to try and get himself in a position where he could fuck with the DOJ and/or has some kind of pardoning power is a possibility.

And while a Republican winning in 2024 could try and pardon him or at least protect him, I don't see him trusting DeSantis, Cruz, etc. to not only run, but actually win, because those guys have the personalities and charisma of a wet paper bag.  MAGA may cheer their messages and the words coming out of their mouthes, but they don't hold a candle to Trump playing a crowd.

18 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

They are scared shitless.

What's funny is that just 4-6 years ago, Alex was sitting pretty - shit-ton of money (millionaire multiple times over) and resources out the ass.  Even with the divorce taking his fancy house, etc.

But he just never could dial it back.  If he had backed off on the Sandy Hook shit when it blew up in his face, apologized, and then, I dunno, not get involved in an insurrection, he'd be sitting pretty right now with Biden in the White House.

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

What's funny is that just 4-6 years ago, Alex was sitting pretty - shit-ton of money (millionaire multiple times over) and resources out the ass.  Even with the divorce taking his fancy house, etc.

But he just never could dial it back.  If he had backed off on the Sandy Hook shit when it blew up in his face, apologized, and then, I dunno, not get involved in an insurrection, he'd be sitting pretty right now with Biden in the White House.

and he would have the assets to take on his true enemy: gay frogs

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, I don't see him running now that's learned he can grift in politics like fucking crazy without actually running, but him feeling like he has to run to try and get himself in a position where he could fuck with the DOJ and/or has some kind of pardoning power is a possibility.

And while a Republican winning in 2024 could try and pardon him or at least protect him, I don't see him trusting DeSantis, Cruz, etc. to not only run, but actually win, because those guys have the personalities and charisma of a wet paper bag.  MAGA may cheer their messages and the words coming out of their mouthes, but they don't hold a candle to Trump playing a crowd.

Well, and that doesn't even take into account his fear of losing.  That single thing, I think, is what keeps him from running again.  The power over the GOP and the grift are just gravy that make it even less likely that he runs.

Something greater would have to overcome that fear, I think, to get him to run.

• Like 1