2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

These coaches haven’t done themselves a lot of favors with some of the decisions they’ve made this year, but one thing I won’t take away from them is how different Lucas Gordon looks right now compared to last year and even earlier this year.

I wish this team didn’t put themselves in many of the situations they do, but they’ve responded well a lot of this season. Avoided sweeps to Tech and Kansas State, came back to win the series against OU in game 3, taking the doubleheader today, winning game 3 against TCU.

Giving Gordon the 2nd spot might be the key to unlocking this team for the postseason. It's been clear for 2-3 weeks that Stevens just isn't a Saturday guy for whatever reason this year. If it's true that he approached Pierce then I applaud him because it means he's putting the team above himself. And I believe it - he seems like a super high character guy. 

I'm hoping Hansen got his bad start out of his system and Lucas keeps riding whatever he's got going right now. Get a few guys from the pen to step up including Stevens and I think we can still salvage this thing. (I just refuse to believe we can't... our hitting is too fucking ridiculous. It has to potentially be the best hitting Texas team ever.)

I mean... imagine working to host a regional and then you get Texas as your 2. Not that hosting is off the table for this team. Win out with maybe either a loss tomorrow or to Kansas and win a couple in the B12 tourney and I bet we get back to 16. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Giving Gordon the 2nd spot might be the key to unlocking this team for the postseason. It's been clear for 2-3 weeks that Stevens just isn't a Saturday guy for whatever reason this year. If it's true that he approached Pierce then I applaud him because it means he's putting the team above himself. And I believe it - he seems like a super high character guy. 

I'm hoping Hansen got his bad start out of his system and Lucas keeps riding whatever he's got going right now. Get a few guys from the pen to step up including Stevens and I think we can still salvage this thing. (I just refuse to believe we can't... our hitting is too fucking ridiculous. It has to potentially be the best hitting Texas team ever.)

I mean... imagine working to host a regional and then you get Texas as your 2. Not that hosting is off the table for this team. Win out with maybe either a loss tomorrow or to Kansas and win a couple in the B12 tourney and I bet we get back to 16. 

Knocking us out of the top 25 was a fucking knee jerk bullshit reaction. I hope the SEC team who laughed the loudest gets us in their regional and then starts crying like a bitch about how unfair the rankings are. 

Or we could just win every game from here on out and get our regional back. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

Knocking us out of the top 25 was a fucking knee jerk bullshit reaction. I hope the SEC team who laughed the loudest gets us in their regional and then starts crying like a bitch about how unfair the rankings are. 

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

RPI sitting at 16 after today. Predicted RPI (which has us winning our last 5 games) has us at 15. If we go 4-1 or 5-0 down the stretch here (aka win the midweeks and take the series against Kansas) with an RPI around 15 and win a game or two in the big 12 tournament, I think we are playing baseball at the Disch in June.

15 through 25 in the rankings as been a carousel all year. Will be nice to have a bye next week and watch other teams beat up on each other.

Edited by Hookem2147

21 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I didn’t want to say anything considering the ass rape okie state gave us but dropping us out of the top 25 was absurd. We were 16 games over .500 for fucks sake. Now 17. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us go 0-2 or 1-2 in a regional. I also wouldn’t be surprised if we went on a crazy ass 2014 type run. We can hit anyone and Hansen-Gordon are a good 1-2 punch. Hansen is definitely going to end up closing a game or 3 out if we somehow make it to Omaha. Morehouse could be this year’s Hollingsworth. Insane fucking hitting and solid to great starting pitching gives me some hope. The bullpen is ass but Stevens back there is a nice development. We got the experience.  This team has all the pieces to make some noise. I’m fuckin ready for the postseason. 

Would be nice if Air Force had a nice end to the season. They are our only Q3 or Q4 loss right now but are 116 in RPI. Could sneak into the top 100 with a strong finish.

Kansas State is sitting right at 100 in RPI so if they drop any lower then those two losses turn into Q3 losses.

8 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

We're going to need to make a little noise in the conference tourney

I don't think the committee has put a ton of stock in conference tournament performances in recent years. I remember in 2018 we thought we needed to make noise in the conference tournament to feel good about hosting, ended up going 0-2 and still ended up ranked 13.

If we win our next 5 games I think we are hosting regardless of what happens in Arlington. The RPI and SOS is going to help us.

Edited by Hookem2147

Assuming tomorrow is the last game without EK, I wonder what the plan is to get him back in the lineup next week. Campbell and Todd are swinging the bat pretty well. Faltine is the weakest hitter in the lineup but you can’t take him out with how good he is defensively. I guess the best path might still be moving Stehly to second and Campbell over to RF.

From Kendall Roger's D1 Chat today.   (not a subscriber,  this is free)

Interesting they say higher RPI does not always indicate host in cases like DBU and Florida.   Try link,  not sure it works.

https://d1baseball.com/top-stories/d1baseball-weekly-chat-may-9/

Texas is now back inside the top-16 in RPI with a road series win at WVU. With only five regular season games left (TX Southern, SHSU, KU (3)) do they need to go 5-0 in those games to host? Would a 14-10 Big 12 record be enough for them to host?
React

Kendall Rogers
12:03
Big 12 -- If the Longhorns are 14-10 in the league and play well in Arlington, that would very much be a strong hosting resume, IMO, when you look at some of UT's higher-end wins. I would probably lean toward UT hosting in that situation, but it's still very fluid.

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Lol what? 

I’m not breaking any news by saying that. The dude is 2 for his last 27. He has struck out in 51% of his plate appearances in conference play. He has not recorded a multi-hit game in conference play against a school not named Baylor. Daly has a higher average than him in Big 12 play.

3 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Harrison gets the start tomorrow night.

Awesome. Would love to see him compete for a weekend role next year 

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Lol what? 

Surely he meant Daly is the worst hitter in the lineup. Cause he is. It’d be nice if he could be the doubles machine he was last year 

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Surely he meant Daly is the worst hitter in the lineup. Cause he is. It’d be nice if he could be the doubles machine he was last year 

They have both been awful, but what Faltine has been doing of late is downright disturbing. What he did at the beginning of the year is inflating his overall stats. He has been nearly an auto-out the last month straight.

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m not breaking any news by saying that. The dude is 2 for his last 27. He has struck out in 51% of his plate appearances in conference play. He has not recorded a multi-hit game in conference play against a school not named Baylor. Daly has a higher average than him in Big 12 play.

Stehly is 6 for his last 33 with one fewer RBI than Trey in that span. Should we take him out of the lineup too? 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Stehly is 6 for his last 33 with one fewer RBI than Trey in that span. Should we take him out of the lineup too? 

Don’t move the goalposts. Me and you both know there is a big difference between what Stehly is doing and what Faltine has shown basically the last month and a half (at the plate. In the field he continues to be elite which is why you stick him in the 9 hole and live with it).

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The dude is 2 for his last 27. He has struck out in 51% of his plate appearances in conference play.

Damn. Didn't realize that, but he can turn it around in a hurry and go on a hot steak. Not many .900-plus OPS guys hitting ninth.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Don’t move the goalposts. Me and you both know there is a big difference between what Stehly is doing and what Faltine has shown basically the last month and a half

What are you talking about? Moving the goalposts? No I don't know that there is a big difference. I know that overall Stehly is having a better season and so far has been the better hitter. I know that both of them are slumping. I don't want either of them out of the lineup. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What are you talking about? Moving the goalposts? No I don't know that there is a big difference. I know that overall Stehly is having a better season and so far has been the better hitter. I know that both of them are slumping. I don't want either of them out of the lineup. 

I’m not saying take Faltine out of the lineup. Like I said above, he is elite defensively at SS so you just stick him in the 9 hole and cross your fingers. But he is the weakest hitter in the lineup. Weaker than Daly right now. But Daly might end up being the odd man when Kennedy is back because we have another guy (Stehly) who can play 2B and allow us to maximize the lineup.

Also, a 6 for 33 slump is still 100+ points better than a 2 for 27 slump but yes I agree both are slumping right now.

Ok Faltine is colder than Daly right now. But Faltine at least has some power and has thrown together some great weekends this year. Daly unfortunately has been awful since the first pitch against Rice. Sucks. Had high hopes for him this year. Hopefully he shortens up his swing some this off-season. Need him to step up next year 

Edit: or he can put it together right fucking now and go on a tear and be our 2022 postseason hero. Up to you, Daly 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m not saying take Faltine out of the lineup. Like I said above, he is elite defensively at SS so you just stick him in the 9 hole and cross your fingers. But he is the weakest hitter in the lineup. Weaker than Daly right now. But Daly might end up being the odd man when Kennedy is back because we have another guy (Stehly) who can play 2B and allow us to maximize the lineup.

Also, a 6 for 33 slump is still 100+ points better than a 2 for 27 slump but yes I agree both are slumping right now.

I think what you mean is over the past ~10 games he's been the weakest hitter. Which is different than saying he's straight up the weakest hitter (which I obviously don't agree with). I mean bottom 9th down 2 runs with a man on base Trey isn't the last guy that I want at the plate. 

Hopefully it's just a slump. For both him and Stehly. 

BABIP has hit Stehly hard lately, which was likely I suppose. Faltine has been brutal of late (.750 OPS in conference to go with whats been said). Seems to just get dominated by half decent pitching and has lost something from the start of the year. He’s still better than Daly because of the power, but its getting closer (and not because Daly has seen a resurgence).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Horndog said:

Faltine seems to have one swing plane. If the ball's there when his bat is, he hits it hard. If it's anywhere else, especially away, it's a swing and miss.

I can't find the video anywhere or else I would gif it, but he had a strikeout on Saturday in game 1 where his swing plane was a legit 5 or 6 feet above where the ball was crossing the plate. He seems to be guessing a lot and teams are killing him with breaking stuff low and away.

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I can't find the video anywhere or else I would gif it, but he had a strikeout on Saturday in game 1 where his swing plane was a legit 5 or 6 feet above where the ball was crossing the plate. He seems to be guessing a lot and teams are killing him with breaking stuff low and away.

He is the biggest example on the team of the problems caused by taking fastballs for strikes. 

I’d like to see O’Dowd at 2nd tonight and let Schuessler catch. Also wouldn’t mind whitehead get the go ahead in left or right. Actually let Stehly get a couple ab’s then bringin whitehead. Getting a couple of at bats against a shithook should give him some confidence. Would be a great night to get some of our backups some reps 

Why would we not put Stehly back at DH, Kennedy in right, and sit Todd?  I mean, Todd’s been good lately, but stehly’s defense isn’t great and Daly’s is fantastic. You can’t take srehly’s bat out of the lineup and the rest of the offense is strong enough to not miss Todd. Am I missing something?

32 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Why would we not put Stehly back at DH, Kennedy in right, and sit Todd?  I mean, Todd’s been good lately, but stehly’s defense isn’t great and Daly’s is fantastic. You can’t take srehly’s bat out of the lineup and the rest of the offense is strong enough to not miss Todd. Am I missing something?

Todd is hitting the ball really well right now. Almost a .400 hitter in conference play. A month ago I would have agreed just bench Todd and get Kennedy back in there but I don’t think it’s that simple now.

I guess this is a ‘good problem’ to have where you can’t figure out who to take out of the lineup. I still think the solution is you sacrifice the defense and move Stehly to 2B and sit Daly. Stehly has experience playing the position and isn’t a complete liability so it’s not like he’s never done it. Or maybe you platoon Campbell/Kennedy. 

Jeff Howe on what Pierce said after the game about the bullpen. Also said Morehouse/Stevens are still the two for the 3rd starter spot and that Stevens is working through confidence issues:

— On the pitching plan, Texas used Luke Harrison, Marcus Olivarez, Jared Southard, LeBarron Johnson Jr. and Aaron Nixon tonight. Pierce said those are the bullpen arms they're going to use in the postseason.

Edited by Hookem2147