2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Since so many Texas baseball fans/players have gotten ears lowered at the "Woo"  😥

Honestly surprised it made it this far. I'll never forget getting a haircut there in '01 or so and watching a movie on their TV fir 15 min before I realized that movie had just come out in theaters. I think it was Charlie's Angels or something similar. 

On 4/19/2022 at 2:55 PM, Cajun said:

@40acredropoutI don’t remember the baseballs being dead, just that they had enormously large, protruding seams that would cut you wide open if you got hit by a spinner.

Of course, the pitchers loved those balls.  “Diamonds”, I think they were called.

Or were you just making an Armybrat-esque jab?

Or, if, like a dumbass, you caught up a pitcher using the school mitt (which had a tenuous web) and no gear before a practice scrimmage.

And you caught a fastball that tore through the web right in your eye.  I had a near-perfect stitch bruise under my eye for 10 days.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Since so many Texas baseball fans/players have gotten ears lowered at the "Woo"  😥

Had the honor of getting my haircut there then walking to my room at the woo. This was 2012. I went to bed every night thinking the building was going to collapse 

image.png.60653ea0d651eeee16cf3dc1b42b2cfe.png

Per Craig Way...    UTRGV  in Edinburg, Tx

On Tuesday, Texas Baseball team will take a bus down to the valley, play a game and then same day return by bus home -- no hotels available due to Border issues... 😋

Starting Friday, Texas hosts okie lite for 3-game series.

I know we've had a lot to bitch about this season, and granted most of it has been in regards to the bullpen , but just looking at the numbers our lineup is putting out right now is kind of nuts. These are our 10 major contributors by OPS (not going to list names because it's a fun guessing game in the middle):

This was the 2021 team that had a legit shot at dogpiling (NOT that I'm implying that the pitching staffs are the same - and listing the top 10 again for comparison's sake):

Obviously that includes B12 tournament numbers and CWS numbers, but through 41 we've played a fairly tough schedule in 2022 including 6 games in MLB parks. Overall, this year's team and last year's remain fairly similar statistically, the difference being that pitching inspires a bit more confidence in the postseason than hitting does. Point being, these guys have the tools to make a deep run if everything falls right, even if it isn't the surefire thing we were hoping for when we had a healthy Witt throwing on Sundays. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/21/2022 at 11:24 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Or, if, like a dumbass, you caught up a pitcher using the school mitt (which had a tenuous web) and no gear before a practice scrimmage.

And you caught a fastball that tore through the web right in your eye.  I had a near-perfect stitch bruise under my eye for 10 days.

when i was 15 or 16 i had a buddy come out for our team simply because a bunch of the guys in the team were his friends. this guy was not a baseball player, did not watch the sport, and was super into academics. in fact athletically he's one of the goofiest, least coordinated people i've ever known. guess what though? turns out my buddy had insane power from the right side of the plate, to the point where we were employing a shift against him in practice, way back in 2001. suffice to say he made the team.

anyway, we went undefeated during our regular season that year, so lots of guys got to try different positions throughout the year. one day we put my buddy at 3rd, and first batter of the game strikes out, and on instinct our catcher, who had a cannon, just fired the ball down to 3rd to start the around-the-horn. well, ole stephen colbert over there at 3rd had no idea that the ball was coming, and then *THUD*, it just smacked him right in the middle of his chest. i thought he might die for a second, but he ended up being fine, that is, aside from the perfect seam marks that stayed in this middle of his chest for like two weeks. those laces are no f'ing joke lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

oh yeah. this same guy was a fucking savant when getting into a hot box/run down. a savant. he was constantly getting into rundowns and somehow meandering his way out of it. the rest of us on the team were dying every time it happened. he also got tossed for arguing and cussing at the 2B ump because at the end of the day he didn't give a shit. the ump called a runner safe and my buddy tossed his glove and said, "Jesus Christ you've got to be kidding me." the ump warned him and he just doubled down and told him he was fucking wrong. 😂 even as he walked off the field he was muttering to himself about how he was right. god damn i miss youths sports lol. 

edit- photo evidence

this was my first year playing sports after having gained 130 lbs in 6 months from taking the rx drug risperidal. i went from playing 2B/CF and hitting 2-hole to playing DH/1B and hitting 8 hole. they legit only let me on the team because i had been on it before, and because i'm kickass for team morale. i'd gone from being pretty good to being pretty terrible, but damn it if i didn't have a helluva time playing baseball with my friends that summer. 

A30A6D2B-59EF-4411-B236-CA612F7C1546.jpeg.2b20a018d7bec2e6b6b3b317f713bd7e.jpeg

51CD7FF9-F171-4F89-A61F-51FF9775F4F2.jpeg.8f919c2562f29ac2db1428825b78eefa.jpeg

first pic, smart guy is on the right. second pic is from our postseason tournament at Fireman's Park in Brenham. we beat Austin (Montopolis) and then lost to Washington County and and Yoakum and went out in the opening round. still had a blast. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

So a lot people here shit on the guy snd often times for good reason, but can we sit here and marvel at the fact that in his 5th full year here, he once again has us in control of our destiny for the big 12 come May. When we were down 7-2 to ou I thought we were in for a, at best, 2014 ride. Frustrating regular season but hopefully hit our ceiling come June and hope for a run. At worst a 2019. But here we are hitting our stride come May. Again. Like we have every season since Pierce has been here outside 2019. Next weekend is gonna be fucking electric. I like the sound of “3 big 12 championships in the last 4 full years”. Let’s own this garbage conference till we can finally leave these jerk offs. Then take the SEC in year one and remind everyone Texas baseball is, has been and always will be the best college baseball program 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

This won't end up mattering much since it was just a midweek game, but College of Charleston is now top 100 in RPI. They are 13-2 in conference play.

That road loss doesn't look as bad as it did at the time.

Hey every little bit counts

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Damn... 61 hits and 61 RBI's  

The golden spikes has always been a fucking joke. Like worse than the Heisman has become. But god dammit we’ve had 3-5 dudes that deserved it. If Melendez doesn’t win it this year then what’s the fucking point. Dude has been in video game mode all god damn year. And he’s doing this at the Disch. This isn’t those fucking little league parks Florida, vandy and the OMAHOGS play in. Even with the fences moved in a bit from a few years ago 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Fletch said:

The golden spikes has always been a fucking joke. Like worse than the Heisman has become. But god dammit we’ve had 3-5 dudes that deserved it. If Melendez doesn’t win it this year then what’s the fucking point. Dude has been in video game mode all god damn year. And he’s doing this at the Disch. This isn’t those fucking little league parks Florida, vandy and the OMAHOGS play in. Even with the fences moved in a bit from a few years ago 

He's tied for 1st in HR, tied for 4th in RBI, 24th in average, #1 in slugging (by a good bit, too), 7th in RBI per game, and 3rd in HR per game.  

He fucking should be the front-runner, as of today.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

Exactly what I was telling my kid today. Can't wait to watch the Horns skullfuck those SECSECSEC bandbox bitches.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

He's tied for 1st in HR, tied for 4th in RBI, 24th in average, #1 in slugging (by a good bit, too), 7th in RBI per game, and 3rd in HR per game.  

He fucking should be the front-runner, as of today.  

4 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Hard to believe UT has never had a winner

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

It is ridiculous Clemens didn't win the Howser or the Spikes award in 2018.

Clemens got totally fucking robbed. Same with Huston. And Kieschnich.  Jungmann probably should’ve won it in 2011 too. So yeah we should have like 3-5 winners. Golden spikes and the Heisman owe us for those dudes and Vince and Colt

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Hard to imagine anyone being more productive than Kieschnick. #1 starter, #1 hitter. Very productive at both.

Darren Dreifort was sick on the 1993 Wichita State team.   Him, Kieschnick, and maybe Mark Kotsay are the best two way players I've seen.  I started following Texas baseball when Kieschnick hit campus.

It makes me feel old that Kieschnick will be fiddy this summer.  

Edited by petscii
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah and I guess it's looking like Baylor is pretty god awful.  Whatever.  Keep winning.

They were atrocious. Hope the 5 guys on that team who are good ballplayers are enjoying their "experience" at that sleaze factory.