2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

19 hours ago, chase25 said:

And there is a lot of rose colored glasses being passed around when looking back at last years team. As if they were some buzzsaw from start to finish. 

I’m not going to go pull posts from last year because it’s not worth it but a lot of people didn’t believe in last years team until they took 2/3 from TCU on the road and that was instantly erased in many minds when West Virginia’s “ace” mowed us down not once but twice.

Cant let perception cloud reality. Were you thinking last years team was elite when Tech loaded the bases in the 1st inning of game 3 on May 2nd, staring down getting swept at home?

This team is better offensively and worse on the mound, now you just have to see where the chips fall

My entire point has been the fallacy of extrapolating from last year to this year and yet here you are.

I’ll say it one more time, sloooowly typed out - One has nothing to do with the other.  But you keep fuckin’ that chicken bro.

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

My entire point has been the fallacy of extrapolating from last year to this year and yet here you are.

I’ll say it one more time, sloooowly typed out - One has nothing to do with the other.  But you keep fuckin’ that chicken bro.

His entire point is that lots can change between early April and the Regionals. I mean I could easily illustrate the same point using many seasons of many baseball teams.

Edited by Valmy77

On 4/11/2022 at 1:34 PM, chase25 said:

And there is a lot of rose colored glasses being passed around when looking back at last years team. As if they were some buzzsaw from start to finish. 

I’m not going to go pull posts from last year because it’s not worth it but a lot of people didn’t believe in last years team until they took 2/3 from TCU on the road and that was instantly erased in many minds when West Virginia’s “ace” mowed us down not once but twice.

Cant let perception cloud reality. Were you thinking last years team was elite when Tech loaded the bases in the 1st inning of game 3 on May 2nd, staring down getting swept at home?

This team is better offensively and worse on the mound, now you just have to see where the chips fall

Yeah it’s insane. It’s a miracle we won the big 12. Team just came together in May, like all of Pierces teams so far besides ‘19, the obvious outlier. 

We’re gonna find the right players for the right roles and will be ready to fuck shit up when we’re hosting. We have the bats to stay in every game. Gordon against the 4 seed, Hansen in winners then Stevens to finish it off. Same in the supers but in reverse (hopefully Gordon won’t be needed). Get into Omaha and with our bats, Hansen, good Stevens and Gordon can do some damage. Especially with Harrison and Hopefully Cobb in the backend with Eckhardt and Southard finding roles. Shit maybe Nixon can give us something. And Hansen will definitely come close a game or 3 out in the postseason if we make it as far we did last year 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Good seeing O’Dowd and Ace have good showings last night. Those dudes are probably starters next year.

When the fuck does Kennedy get back? Seriously need him for the stretch of shit hooks in the conference 

Craig said on the radio last night that he is listed as "day to day".  I'm sure Pierce wants to give him as much time as he can to fully heal.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Eye popping indeed.   Did same thing for pitching through 35 games and we stack up more favorably than I was expecting:

image.png.e65fe9fe28a98d2856193e3455252bd2.png

No data to back this up and going purely off eyeball test / my gut, but I think with EK back, Trey, Daly and Silas up the middle, we have to stack up on-par if not better than those other squads defensively as well, no?  

Edited by 40acredropout

2 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

Eye popping indeed.   Did same thing for pitching through 35 games and we stack up more favorably than I was expecting:

image.png.e65fe9fe28a98d2856193e3455252bd2.png

No data to back this up and going purely off eyeball test / my gut, but I think with EK back, Trey, Daly and Silas up the middle, we have to stack up on-par if not better than those other squads defensively as well, no?  

Just doing compared to last year. It's basically a wash. On pace for slightly less errors, less double plays, fielding slightly better, catching steals better (I mean 72%? That's just filthy).

Screenshot_20220414-144503-410.png.e9a012fa2fa7e8b3bfd2a37dc5a6c4de.png

Screenshot_20220414-144645-212.png.1d4bd7649e080d07cacf9a5512ecf4c7.png

On pace for a fairly similar record, too. I feel like it's mainly the way that we've lost games that has been frustrating.

Edited by ztejas

I"d apportion the blame thusly. We've lost:
2 games when the opposing starter basically ate our lunch (UCLA, SC game 3);
2 games when Stevens shit the bed and we fell way behind immediately (Tech game 2 & TCU game 2);
3 hard-fought games that could have gone either way (Tech game 1, SC game 2, OU);
3 because the 2nd-line pitching sucked (Tx St, Charleston, Aggy);

There may have been other factors...

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Pierce just can't build a complete pitching staff. He needs to hire a real guy to handle it, and just be a horrible third base coach.

He built a complete pitching staff…..last year. And went to Omaha in 2018 with two reliable starting pitchers and a bullpen made up of a bunch of no names. 

I don’t say this to be mr. History guy and excuse anything we are seeing this season, but let’s look at the multiple data points. Pierce didn’t like the direction of his pitching staff after 2019, axed Phil Haig and moved Sean Allen to pitching coach. Allen proceeded to have two really good years and brought in some good arms, which has made him a finalist for multiple high level head coaching gigs including Rice last year. 

11 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

He built a complete pitching staff…..last year. And went to Omaha in 2018 with two reliable starting pitchers and a bullpen made up of a bunch of no names. 

I don’t say this to be mr. History guy and excuse anything we are seeing this season, but let’s look at the multiple data points. Pierce didn’t like the direction of his pitching staff after 2019, axed Phil Haig and moved Sean Allen to pitching coach. Allen proceeded to have two really good years and brought in some good arms, which has made him a finalist for multiple high level head coaching gigs including Rice last year. 

2018 - Starters (Kingham, Henley, Shugart)  BP (Parker Joe, Stevens, Elder, Bocchi, Sawyer)  Kamron Fields (1.82) had a good year along with Jake McKenzie.  Not sure they were no names,  regardless they had good years.

Phil Haig's exit as a volunteer asst was necessitated by Huston saving Pierce by introducing him to Tulo.    Would Haig have been kept otherwise,  who knows ?

Like Pierce,  Sean Allen's forte is recruiting - one of the best in college baseball.    His coaching career has mainly been with hitters and infield,  the exception when he first started his career as pitching coach/asst pitching coach at FIU for 3 years.   His playing career was an infielder at UH.

Will the combination of Pierce/Allen as pitching coaches provide long term success  ?    Led the B12 last year with era of 2.93 (conf only).   As of today (5.19) which is 4th in conference in what is playing out as year of the hitter conference wide.

The main role of a pitching coach, maybe equal or above mechanics, is to develop confidence.   Sometimes you have to show trust in dificult situations.

12 minutes ago, torre said:

2018 - Starters (Kingham, Henley, Shugart)  BP (Parker Joe, Stevens, Elder, Bocchi, Sawyer)  Kamron Fields (1.82) had a good year along with Jake McKenzie.  Not sure they were no names,  regardless they had good years.

Phil Haig's exit as a volunteer asst was necessitated by Huston saving Pierce by introducing him to Tulo.    Would Haig have been kept otherwise,  who knows ?

Like Pierce,  Sean Allen's forte is recruiting - one of the best in college baseball.    His coaching career has mainly been with hitters and infield,  the exception when he first started his career as pitching coach/asst pitching coach at FIU for 3 years.   His playing career was an infielder at UH.

Will the combination of Pierce/Allen as pitching coaches provide long term success  ?    Led the B12 last year with era of 2.93 (conf only).   As of today (5.19) which is 4th in conference in what is playing out as year of the hitter conference wide.

The main role of a pitching coach, maybe equal or above mechanics, is to develop confidence.   Sometimes you have to show trust in dificult situations.

My point being that the reason for issues does not always fall on the coaches. “Bad” pitching (which as you pointed out is still middle of the pack in the Big 12) does not automatically equal the pitching coach sucks. No one could have predicted Nixon and Stevens (to a lesser extent) would just absolutely fall off a cliff after last year, no one could have predicted Witt would go down in week 3 of the season forcing us to shuffle roles of several guys, no one could have predicted Duplantier wouldn’t be able to throw a strike after the flashes he had in 2020. I have a tough time placing blame on Allen (or Pierce) for those things. Maybe the only thing they are guilty of is thinking Dre would be his normal self 16 months removed from Tommy John.

And on a side note that 2018 pitching staff had no business being in Omaha. Kingham and Shugart were the only consistent starters. Andy freaking McGuire became our closer after Beau Ridgeway completely disappeared. Parker Joe Robinson, Josh Sawyer and Andy McGuire was not the backend of the bullpen anyone envisioned. There was a reason we consistently brought starters out of the pen for much of that postseason.

TDLR; firing or replacing coaches is not the right response to this season, which still isn’t even over.

Edited by Hookem2147

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Question for those more connected than I (which is all of you):  does Pierce ever lose his cool?  His interviews and gameday demeanor suggest he takes too much prozac.  Does he ever lean on these guys behind the scenes?

We’ve seen him go off on umpires. I’d imagine he would do the same to players behind closed doors if feels it necessary. I don’t know anything though 

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Question for those more connected than I (which is all of you):  does Pierce ever lose his cool?  His interviews and gameday demeanor suggest he takes too much prozac.  Does he ever lean on these guys behind the scenes?

He gets after their asses plenty. I know one guy who’s played for him at Texas. Players like him and respect him. I also think back to times like how he went out to Southard on the mound earlier this year and basically told him to nut up.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022-mlb-draft-top-400-prospects

Not sure of the accuracy,  but above top 400 prospect list was free.    Someone may want to check to see if I missed someone.   Can't see Stevens rated above Hansen ?

Jalin Flores, #117    Texas commit, infielder, SA Brandeis

Ivan - #128

Silas - #138

Hodo - #180

Faltine - #232

Daly - #234

Nixon - #235

Stevens - #279

Hansen - #288

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Supposedly Pierce is hated by umpires cause he nags em all game. I love it. Take notes, sark