2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

29 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Polar opposite of last year, started out like shit and ended up 1 game away in Omaha to started out slapping our dicks on the table into looking like we won't win a series the rest of the season. Unbelievable. 

Meh, the backend of our schedule blows.  We'll win a bunch of our Big 12 series, but we'll give up a lot of runs we should not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Well in 2019 it was 14 times.

2019 team also hit .250 as a team with a 4.37 ERA and lost pretty much every Sunday game in conference play you could imagine that could have won a series.

This team is hitting .321 (top 15 in the country) with a 3.49 ERA (still top 25 in the country) and the easiest part of the schedule ahead of us. 

• Hook 'Em 4

33 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

2019 team also hit .250 as a team with a 4.37 ERA and lost pretty much every Sunday game in conference play you could imagine that could have won a series.

This team is hitting .321 (top 15 in the country) with a 3.49 ERA (still top 25 in the country) and the easiest part of the schedule ahead of us. 

Remain Calm All Is Well GIF

46 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

Remain Calm All Is Well GIF

Well we are better than 2019 which couldn't do anything well. Not a high bar to clear.

The bullpen is bad and may or may not be fixable. I am not optimistic.

But the starting pitching might still be good despite what happened in Lubbock. This weekend is big. If we can shut down OU with our starters and build leads with our offense then we might still have a shot to have a good season. You can get through the regionals and supers without a good bullpen if your starters are on point.

We still need a closer though if Nixon continues to struggle.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

This is an amazing stat when you consider 2 of the 4 times we gave up 8 or more runs last year was the opening weekend in Arlington.

Well what can I say? Our staff was awesome last year.  Nixon, Stevens, and Hansen were a big part of that and they, and Gordon, can still save this season. If they stop sucking.

Get out there and throw your best stuff. You will get your run support guys. Show us what you showed us last year.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I haven’t been watching these Texas teams close enough the last few years. I’d like to ask our Texas baseball experts a question. Is David Pierce doing a great job at Texas? Has the recruiting and team performance over the last five years met the Texas standard? I’m just curious after seeing A&M with a highly ranked class, and seeing Texas teams struggle a lot off and on over the last several years. Of course two World Series berths is nothing to sneeze at, but the Texas program was one of the top programs in the country for a long time. 

22 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I haven’t been watching these Texas teams close enough the last few years. I’d like to ask our Texas baseball experts a question. Is David Pierce doing a great job at Texas? Has the recruiting and team performance over the last five years met the Texas standard? I’m just curious after seeing A&M with a highly ranked class, and seeing Texas teams struggle a lot off and on over the last several years. Of course two World Series berths is nothing to sneeze at, but the Texas program was one of the top programs in the country for a long time. 

It just depends on what your definition of great is. Personally, I think he has done a ‘good’ job. I can’t ever fully excuse what happened in 2019 but one thing that’s become obvious in his 6 seasons is he goes a really good job of getting his teams to peak at the right time. It happened in 2018 and last year despite some pretty significant early struggles. 

I know a few guys who have played for him and they all say good things. He is a little Augie like in the sense that he never gets too high or too low and focuses a lot on the ‘process’.

His decision to part ways with Haig and get Tulo on board after 2019 was brilliant. He has pushed a lot of the right buttons. If I had one complaint, it’s been the development of some arms on the mound. Don’t know if that’s more on Pierce or his assistants. There have a few too many pitchers for my liking who have regressed over their Texas career (outside of just this year) and a few others who were highly regarded coming out of HS and never made a dent.

Overall, he’s had us in Omaha twice in his first 5 years so I’ve been pleased on that front. Recruiting seems to be decent although I have a feeling we aren’t going to get much from small class last year which is very disappointing.

Regarding your comment about A&M’s recruiting class, you don’t ever want to look at baseball recruiting rankings until after the draft. A&M could easily not have their best 3 or 4 recruits ever step foot on campus.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have two main criticisms of Pierce. First, his teams are perennially mediocre to bad at baserunnng and he makes too many stupid decisions coaching 3rd base.  Second, under him we seem to have quite a few pitchers who start out looking very promising and then over a period of time they mentally fall off a cliff to where they can’t perform at all and need a fresh start elsewhere.  It is hard to pin that on him rather than the player and I don’t know if it’s really more of a thing here that at other places.  In fairness, he does have other pitchers who have gotten better and better during their time here, Madden and Quintanilla being the most recent examples.   

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I have two main criticisms of Pierce. First, his teams are perennially mediocre to bad at baserunnng and he makes too many stupid decisions coaching 3rd base.  Second, under him we seem to have quite a few pitchers who start out looking very promising and then over a period of time they mentally fall off a cliff to where they can’t perform at all and need a fresh start elsewhere.  It is hard to pin that on him rather than the player and I don’t know if it’s really more of a thing here that at other places.  In fairness, he does have other pitchers who have gotten better and better during their time here, Madden and Quintanilla being the most recent examples.   

I would personally like to see him relieve his base coaching duties to Tulo but I’m afraid that will only be a reality in my dreams.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

SIAP but does anyone know how seating will go this weekend? I got tickets to Saturday's game and it's general admission. Will it be a scramble for the lower bowl seats?

Yes, everything is general admission. I honestly don't expect huge crowds but it will be 75% Texas fans, which will be nice for a 'road' series.

Looks like an excellent pitchers' duel on Friday.  Sandlin and Martinez have had some good outings, but have been hit pretty hard as well.

Pitching match ups:

FRIDAY–Texas LHP Pete Hansen (4-0, 2.83) vs. OU LHP Jake Bennett (2-0, 1.45)
SATURDAY–Texas RHP Tristan Stevens (4-1, 3.23) vs. OU RHP David Sandlin (2-2, 6.35)
SUNDAY–Texas LHP Lucas Gordon (2-1, 1.59) vs. OU LHP Chazz Martinez (2-2, 4.45)

21 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Also he’s a lot cooler about watching called 3rd strikes than I’d like. Yeah yeah pitch counts and whatnot but fuck we watch a lot of called 3rd strikes 

15 minutes ago, Cajun said:

We have been in love with taking backwards Ks for years, even going back to Augie.  

It’s fucking enraging to watch.

I am willing to live with it if we aren't also swinging at a bunch of garbage. 

This year's team seems to generally have good plate discipline.

25 minutes ago, Cajun said:

We have been in love with taking backwards Ks for years, even going back to Augie.  

It’s fucking enraging to watch.

It's really not that bad this season, at least much better compared to last season.

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

It's really not that bad this season, at least much better compared to last season.

We're certainly getting more balls into play. Feel like we aren't walking as much but those two things are related I guess. 

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

There was a stretch that began around the Texas St loss through the end of the South Carolina series where it looked like the years of yore, especially with Daly, Faltine, Silas, and Hodo.  It gave me Vietnam flashbacks.

‘Overall on the season, I agree Valmy.  It’s much better.

6 hours ago, Fletch said:

Also he’s a lot cooler about watching called 3rd strikes than I’d like. Yeah yeah pitch counts and whatnot but fuck we watch a lot of called 3rd strikes 

For me its context, is it a 3-2 strike looking or is it 0-2, 1-2? If it's the former I don't have as much of a problem with it because the approach under Pierce has resulted in more guys getting on base. In order to draw a walk sometimes you will end up taking pitches that are questionable. The ones that are hard to stomach are the latter, can't walk down 0-2 so get the bat off your shoulder and battle.

Only two guys on our team that have a strikeout/swing and miss issue are Hodo and Faltine. Trey you can stomach because of the AVG and power, plus he's changed his stance with 2 strikes to try and adjust. Hodo is probably the worst at the plate when it comes to swing and miss. Skyler was in this group until late, guy just flipped a switch.

Edited by chase25

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

There was a stretch that began around the Texas St loss through the end of the South Carolina series where it looked like the years of yore, especially with Daly, Faltine, Silas, and Hodo.  It gave me Vietnam flashbacks.

‘Overall on the season, I agree Valmy.  It’s much better.

11 minutes ago, chase25 said:

For me its context, is it a 3-2 strike looking or is it 0-2, 1-2? If it's the former I don't have as much of a problem with it because the approach under Pierce has resulted in more guys getting on base. In order to draw a walk sometimes you will end up taking pitches that are questionable. The ones that are hard to stomach are the latter, can't walk down 0-2 so get the bat off your shoulder and battle.

Only two guys on our team that have a strikeout/swing and miss issue are Hodo and Faltine. Trey you can stomach because of the AVG and power, plus he's changed his stance with 2 strikes to try and adjust. Hodo is probably the worst at the plate when it comes to swing and miss. Skyler was in this group until late, guy just flipped a switch.

Yeah it’s been much better this year, but still has been annoying under Pierce. 

Is a sweep asking too much this weekend? I’ll happily take 2–1 but fuck we need this 

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Yeah it’s been much better this year, but still has been annoying under Pierce. 

Is a sweep asking too much this weekend? I’ll happily take 2–1 but fuck we need this 

Sweep is realistic. Thanks to OU won't really be much of a road series for Texas, they have two legitimate arms. If we can get passed Jake Bennett and play with a lead we won't see much of the 2nd (Michael Trevin). They have a good patient offense so if we come out not being able to find the strike zone, could get ugly. Need Pete to set the tone Friday

6 hours ago, chase25 said:

Sweep is realistic. Thanks to OU won't really be much of a road series for Texas, they have two legitimate arms. If we can get passed Jake Bennett and play with a lead we won't see much of the 2nd (Michael Trevin). They have a good patient offense so if we come out not being able to find the strike zone, could get ugly. Need Pete to set the tone Friday

*past

6 hours ago, chase25 said:

https://big12sports.com/stats.aspx?path=baseball&year=2022 to

Good observation.   OU is 4th in hitting, 8th in pitching and fielding.    They were terrible with 5 errors in the Sunday loss to Baylor though they won the series.

Complaints about our K's are warranted (top 3 in league with Tech/OkSt) though when you are leading the league with a .321 team average it can be absorbed.  3.49 team era and a super .987 fielding average.

35 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Oh good call. Guess I’m gonna have to go to the UTGRV game on Tuesday.

I think by "Team Shop" they mean the store on west side of DKR.  There's a few meters right there you can use to park I believe.

Edited by PantsTent
  • Hook 'Em 1

https://www.facebook.com/longhornnetwork/photos/a.229232373789925/1672668989446249/?type=3

This day in history - 4/3/1970

James Street threw the 1st perfect game in Texas Baseball history. (Yes, same QB who led the Horns to a National Championship in 1969💪😱)

Edited by Cairn Horn88
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3