2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

2 hours ago, Dewey said:

I try, always end up hoping the big league club who drafted them fucks up and they end up on campus. 

And it never happens. After the josh bell, Blake Swihart shit, I couldn’t take it anymore. Let me know when they’re on the fall roster 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, ztejas said:

Oh give me a break. 101 in HS? Kid isn't playing in college. 

20 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Which is why this doesn't belong on this thread.  Or this board, really.

19 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yep

You sure about this?  Serious question, not trying to be argumentative or anything.  You think NIL might change the dynamic a bit?  Seems with NIL, a hot shot out of high school can make as much, if not more money while playing ball at a blue blood program like Texas, and also play in much better facilities than he will playing A or AA ball, and I doubt there's much difference in the quality of coaching at that level.  But then again, I don't know shit about squat.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

You sure about this?  Serious question, not trying to be argumentative or anything.  You think NIL might change the dynamic a bit?  Seems with NIL, a hot shot out of high school can make as much, if not more money while playing ball at a blue blood program like Texas, and also play in much better facilities than he will playing A or AA ball, and I doubt there's much difference in the quality of coaching at that level.  But then again, I don't know shit about squat.

I'd be shocked if any baseball NIL money was in the same universe as the signing bonus for a top draft pick

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

I dunno, I think your goal is to play MLB baseball.  If it was simply about maximizing earnings the average player would be better off going to Texas for four years and getting a degree. But I'm old.

1 hour ago, texastough said:

I'd be shocked if any baseball NIL money was in the same universe as the signing bonus for a top draft pick

This.  Gotta think if you're throwing 101mph you're going to mint a cool million or two just in signing bonus, maybe more.  But I'm also talking out of my ass.

2 hours ago, 83Horn said:

Like others said - baseball NIL money isn't going to be football or basketball NIL money. Not by a long shot. I think it will keep guys around another year or two that would have maybe gone in a late draft round (like Melendez) but for guys with MLB arms you can bank a nice signing bonus and then just work on getting to the show as fast as possible. Whether the coaching or facilities are better is sort of moot I would think - as guys in A or AA will be higher up on MLB orgs radar's. You're also going to be throwing against much, much better hitters. 

(You also don't have to go to class or do any of that eligibility bullshit. You're just working on your game 24/7)

Edited by ztejas

I don’t know that it will be night and day, but I could see a difference. An above average player or even star on a major team likely clears $10k+ a year (there was already a story of an LSU family giving up a scholarship because of NIL money to help the team).

Slot value past R7 is less than 200k. If I’m Pierce I think you lay it out like this: “You can take your 200k and live below minimum wage in the middle of nowhere alabama as a minor leaguer with awful facilities and food as a low priority prospect. Or you can get a degree, $50k+, enjoy 3-4 years as an athlete on campus, with state of the art training/meal-plan/facilities. Then in 3 years make a play for a top-end draft pick with the big payout and club attention that comes with that”

I don’t know, if Im a player or parent, thats awfully tempting even at rounds that would have been guaranteed to go pro before. Obviously R1-7ish are going to be the exact same. But even 50-100 Madden or Faltine level players making it to campuses will be a huge difference in college talent. And UT can position itself to be among the ones to benefit most (if Pierce and CDC execute).

Yes, we did beat The Citadel, but that series lost to South Carolina may look worse as the season goes on (probably won’t matter too much and it was on the road so won’t get dinged as much). I have a tough time seeing them making regional with the schedule they have ahead of them and they fell to 10-10 after tonight.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yes, we did beat The Citadel, but that series lost to South Carolina may look worse as the season goes on (probably won’t matter too much and it was on the road so won’t get dinged as much). I have a tough time seeing them making regional with the schedule they have ahead of them and they fell to 10-10 after tonight.

If we are only worrying about how the South Carolina series loss looks at the end of the season, we will be just fine.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

(probably won’t matter too much and it was on the road so won’t get dinged as much)

It moved us from #1 to #2 in the country. We already know how much it mattered. If we don't make the cut to host a regional it will be because of what we did in conference.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It moved us from #1 to #2 in the country. We already know how much it mattered. If we don't make the cut to host a regional it will be because of what we did in conference.

Oh I agree. Just would be slightly frustrating if South Carolina’s season continues down this track and at the end of the year that series comes into play when we are talking about the difference between being the #1 overall seed or #2 overall seed, etc.

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Oh I agree. Just would be slightly frustrating if South Carolina’s season continues down this track and at the end of the year that series comes into play when we are talking about the difference between being the #1 overall seed or #2 overall seed, etc.

You're overthinking this. Like Valmy said - the only significant difference between top seeds is being 8th or being SoL. You may get a cakewalk regional as the 6 seed. You may get the 2 seed and then run into some random, white-hot team that has their dicks hard for Omaha and you're standing in their way. Just look at what NC State did last year. 

Top 8 is the goal. Then win it all. Witt going out changed the calculus a bit but you're insane if you think these guys will now be happy with anything less than a national championship. 

Nothing is guaranteed  - we may flame out and not even make the CWS - but the odds that a couple losses to a meh SCAR team in March are the difference between this team being or not being in position to make a run at a national title are virtually non-existent.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Daly better get his shit together.  With Murph being on another planet and Messinger seeming to turn it on, he is the odd man out if Todd can come back and produce with the bat.

No, he's not. Todd won't be able to play the field if he returns.

And Daly plays a good enough second base that you can stick him in the 9 hole while he works through his struggles.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

No, he's not. Todd won't be able to play the field if he returns.

And Daly plays a good enough second base that you can stick him in the 9 hole while he works through his struggles.

Todd is DH in that equation.  If Todd/Murph/Messinger all hit, Dalys glove at 2B is not enough to keep him in lineup.  He showed a ton of promise as a freshman but at some point production is going to be prioritized.

2 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Todd is DH in that equation.  If Todd/Murph/Messinger all hit, Dalys glove at 2B is not enough to keep him in lineup.  He showed a ton of promise as a freshman but at some point production is going to be prioritized.

Then who’s going to play second? 

1 minute ago, 40acredropout said:

I don't think I follow. You said Daly is the odd man out but you listed 4 players for 4 spots: Stehly (RF), Messinger (3B), Daly (2B), Todd (DH).

• Hook 'Em 1