2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

I know it was the Citadel but that felt like a slump busting win. Especially not giving up anything but a solo homer after that first inning.

Let's sweep Incarnate Word and Central Arkansas and get hyped up for Texas Tech. I want to see Hansen and Stevens come out and be their unhittable selves this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I know it was the Citadel but that felt like a slump busting win. Especially not giving up anything but a solo homer after that first inning.

Let's sweep Incarnate Word and Central Arkansas and get hyped up for Texas Tech. I want to see Hansen and Stevens come out and be their unhittable selves this weekend.

Yeah we need it.  We lost a lot of momentum starting with that UCLA loss.  Then the Witt news, Todd etc.. 

I know losing a starter has turned the starting pitching order upside down and the trickle down from that has caused disruption. We need to get the P staff back on track.  Disappointed we couldnt go 3-2 in SC.  2-3 in the Palmetto state was very disappointing, but it happens.  The competition was strong and hopefully this prepares us for road conference games.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

Ive been saying that all year, i don't know if it's Valmy or Fletch, but one of those two thinks he will be a strong contributor this year, i dont see it though.

Guilty. He’s got potential but I’m running out of patience with that “potential”. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Guilty. He’s got potential but I’m running out of patience with that “potential”. 

<Capt. Obvious> I think it's mental for him (Campbell). <Capt. Obvious>

I think he is still thinking like a freshman, at least at the plate, and he needs to find his groove asap. Timid, confused, no confidence is a bad combination if you're on a team with this much potential. Speaking of potential, it doesn't mean jack shit if you can't find a way to live up to it. This is when leaders step up or come out. Let's see who wants to lead this team and reach their potential. 🤘

Edited by Droopy
One at bat, One inning, One game at a time.

56 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Seconded.  He has the ability to work the count and put together some acceptable to great ABs.  He also scalded the ball a couple of times in Columbia.  I would give him and O'Dowd the opportunity to play their way into the line up this weekend.  If they can't do it, we have to just roll with Messinger, the underwhelming but known quantity.

• Hook 'Em 1

Weirdly enough, the best 6 guys in our lineup are outperforming our best from last year. But our average wOBA for the back three is .284, compared to .354 last year. Kennedy, our worst hitter last year, hit .329. Brutal back of the lineup.

Hodo will continue to regress (his fundamentals look the same as last year). Faltine has to bat 5/6, Ks or not. Gotta hope Daly, Messinger, or Campbell find a spark.

1 hour ago, Droopy said:

<Capt. Obvious> I think it's mental for him (Campbell). <Capt. Obvious>

I think he is still thinking like a freshman, at least at the plate, and he needs to find his groove asap. Timid, confused, no confidence is a bad combination if you're on a team with this much potential. Speaking of potential, it doesn't mean jack shit if you can't find a way to live up to it. This is when leaders step up or come out. Let's see who wants to lead this team and reach their potential. 🤘

1 hour ago, zlavydra said:

Seconded.  He has the ability to work the count and put together some acceptable to great ABs.  He also scalded the ball a couple of times in Columbia.  I would give him and O'Dowd the opportunity to play their way into the line up this weekend.  If they can't do it, we have to just roll with Messinger, the underwhelming but known quantity.

I mean, we’ve seen him double and homer and get some good wood (metal whatever F off) on it. iirc, Tres was awful OOC but turned it come conference play. Same with Antico last year. Shit I knew Melendez could feast on the shit hooks and now he’s doing a Pujols type thing. Idk. Basically, more at bats could help. The next 6 games would be a good time to get him some confidence. I know I shouldn’t but dammit I still have big 12 regular season title on my mind. Hansen and Stevens just need 3-4 runs. Hansen, Stevens, Ivan, Kennedy, Faltine, Hodo. They know it all starts against tech. We got a week to tune up. Hit the tees and get our fundamentals back down then watch some film with Tulo 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

I know losing a starter has turned the starting pitching order upside down and the trickle down from that has caused disruption. We need to get the P staff back on track.

Somebody upthread was talking about swing and miss arms this year versus last.  It bears remembering.  We had 4 guys last year who could blow you away consistently with mid 90s heat and devastating sliders.  Madden, Quintanilla, Witt, and Nixon.  This year, after the injury, we only have 1 for sure, 2 when we get good Southard.  I would consider Sthele and Harrison outside that group although they have good stuff and have been pretty reliable.  Labarron has potential (there's that word again) to be a nasty guy, but the coaches seem to think he's farther off.  I wish we had gotten him an inning last night.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Ive been saying that all year, i don't know if it's Valmy or Fletch, but one of those two thinks he will be a strong contributor this year, i dont see it though.

Obviously I want all Texas players to be great but I have never carried a torch for Campbell specifically. He was this big recruit though so it would be nice if at some point he starts to not suck.

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Yes.  At least according to Craig on the radio last night

Well fuck. Yeah I can see why we went into a slump after that. The whole team had to be reconstructed, losing a starting position player and weekend rotation pitcher at the same time.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Well fuck. Yeah I can see why we went into a slump after that. The whole team had to be reconstructed, losing a starting position player and weekend rotation pitcher at the same time.

Pierce couldn't have really thought that Todd would make it through the whole season, right?  Right?

He’s run some deep counts but that don’t make a shit if you don’t walk and or hit more. Eventually an out is an out whether it’s 4 pitches or 11. I’d say next man up but it seems like texas hitting is always suspect, means next man up could be worse.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, troph said:

He’s run some deep counts but that don’t make a shit if you don’t walk and or hit more. Eventually an out is an out whether it’s 4 pitches or 11. I’d say next man up but it seems like texas hitting is always suspect, means next man up could be worse.

Correct. We’ve seen some of the alternative options and they don’t inspire much hope for this current season (Kash, Whitehead, Powell).

I think Pierce is making the right choice. Get Stehly in RF and then play the matchup game at DH. O’Dowd against righties and just close your eyes and pray against lefties. Messinger and Daly are just going to have to figure it out. There’s no other options really at those two spots.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Pierce couldn't have really thought that Todd would make it through the whole season, right?  Right?

No. Just doubted Campbell would, so far, be so not so great  

edit: and I’m assuming Stehly can play a little right. So I’m just guessing he thought and seeing some of his little flashes, I see why. I really do think there’s a good to great college baseball player in there. We’ll see. Also probably wasn’t expecting Messinger to be as bad as he’s been. Probably thought Schussler, Kash and O’Dowd would be Tuesday guys that wouldn’t need to be, potentially, starters or major contributors

Edited by Fletch

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Correct. We’ve seen some of the alternative options and they don’t inspire much hope for this current season (Kash, Whitehead, Powell).

I think Pierce is making the right choice. Get Stehly in RF and then play the matchup game at DH. O’Dowd against righties and just close your eyes and pray against lefties. Messinger and Daly are just going to have to figure it out. There’s no other options really at those two spots.

I have a lot of confidence in Daly based on last year's results.  I think he'll be able to turn it on, and hopefully return to near the top of the line up.  I don't think we can expect much from Messinger besides playing solid defense and maybe not killing too many rallies.  

Faltine needs to hit 6th as of yesterday though.

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’d actually push Ardoin down to 6, bump Stehly to cleanup and bat Faltine 5th. Then O’Dowd, Messinger and Daly 7-8-9.

We could rearrange those 6 until the cows come home. I think the point we all agree on is he shouldn't be hitting 8th...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

My rule on HS players is to not give a single shit until they are on campus.  Has he said anything to the effect that he is not going to sign if drafted?

I try, always end up hoping the big league club who drafted them fucks up and they end up on campus. 

3 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

My rule on HS players is to not give a single shit until they are on campus.  Has he said anything to the effect that he is not going to sign if drafted?

Yeah and baseball recruiting isn’t exactly football where there’s plenty of updates and write ups and film and shit. Baseball you normally get some dude throwing warm up pitches or like hitting in the cage as highlights. Yeah you can find some legit ones but those are the ones that I most frequently find looking these dudes up. Fucking annoying