2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

More of a 2023 comment, but it’s been impressive to see the jump Gordon has made from last year to this year and even the growth we’ve seen between each start.

Him and Witt at the top of the rotation is going to be a lot of fun next year.

Kind of reminds me of Nick Kennedys jump in 2017. Kind of. 

58 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Dude. You just said it’s an 18 month recovery and we literally had a player (Andre Duplantier) have Tommy John in November of 2020 and he was a full go when practice kicked off in January of 2022. That isn’t anywhere close to 18 months.

To be fair, 14 is somewhat close to 18. Assuming Witt underwent the surgery within a week or so of the announcement (3/10/22), that would have him ready by May, 2023 on a 14 month timetable. Let's even say sometime in late March/early April. With all due respect to Witt, he will be coming back to a hopefully high performing collection of starters, particularly the weekend guys. It is more likely he takes a role in the pen the last few months of the season and then is a weekend starter again in 2024.

23 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

To be fair, 14 is somewhat close to 18. Assuming Witt underwent the surgery within a week or so of the announcement (3/10/22), that would have him ready by May, 2023 on a 14 month timetable. Let's even say sometime in late March/early April. With all due respect to Witt, he will be coming back to a hopefully high performing collection of starters, particularly the weekend guys. It is more likely he takes a role in the pen the last few months of the season and then is a weekend starter again in 2024.

I like your optimism, but his surgery was late March. He tweeted about it on April 1. He's not pitching for us next year. And there is no reason to burn a year by pitching a few innings in late May. 2024 at the earliest.

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

I like your optimism, but his surgery was late March. He tweeted about it on April 1. He's not pitching for us next year. And there is no reason to burn a year by pitching a few innings in late May. 2024 at the earliest.

There is no 2024 for him at Texas. He is draft eligible next year and he will pitch for Texas next year so we can go in the top 5 rounds like we’ve expected all along.

Tommy John is a routine surgery nowadays. In the major leagues it’s 12-13 months and those teams are heavily invested in players so they are extra careful. Witt will be pitching for Texas next year.

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

So who exactly is talking about the weak back end of the schedule?

Go through the threads.  It’s been brought up quite a bit since the Tech series.

It might be just a couple or three posters, I don’t know.  I’m not keeping close tabs nor am I trying to call out individuals.

Edited by Cajun

13 months from April 1 is May 1. That ain't in the rotation for start of Big Xll play. If anything, it will maybe be a few pen innings late, but doubtful. He has zero reason to push it for UT, he can throw for scouts on his own time & be fine with his draft prospects.

Edited by shadow_operative2.0

Have a friend that I played ball with who’s now in the blue jays org. Had TJ surgery the first week of June ‘21 and threw his first full bull pen session a couple days ago.  TJ is different for everyone so the time table can depend on the individual but it’s usually a 12 month process. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There is no 2024 for him at Texas. He is draft eligible next year and he will pitch for Texas next year so we can go in the top 5 rounds like we’ve expected all along.

Tommy John is a routine surgery nowadays. In the major leagues it’s 12-13 months and those teams are heavily invested in players so they are extra careful. Witt will be pitching for Texas next year.

The lineup that was out there today, is gone next year. We'll have a lot of holes to fill after this season and him pitching next April (12 months from surgery) to elevate his draft status is asinine. 

Scouts can evaluate his workouts, speed, and pitches without him stepping onto the Disch. The coaching staff, UT, and most likely his family aren't going to be pushing for a 12 month return so he can be a top 5 round pick. 

9 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

The lineup that was out there today, is gone next year. We'll have a lot of holes to fill after this season and him pitching next April (12 months from surgery) to elevate his draft status is asinine. 

Scouts can evaluate his workouts, speed, and pitches without him stepping onto the Disch. The coaching staff, UT, and most likely his family aren't going to be pushing for a 12 month return so he can be a top 5 round pick. 

So you’re implying he’s done pitching for Texas?

16 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Nobody is pushing for anything. A 12 month return is literally the standard. Maybe he has to start out coming out of the bullpen to build up pitch count but a 12 month return is not an accelerated timeline or putting his health at risk.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

So you’re implying he’s done pitching for Texas?

Nope. Not at all. 

Some on here have him leaving after the draft next year. If he is already a shoe in for the draft ( with a high pick), he doesn't need to risk injury pitching for us in April or May next year. The surgery may be "routine " ( others quote, not mine) but rehab and getting back to where you were before (especially at this level or higher) is different for each person (see Duplantier).

I really hope he is back for '24. He's probably drafted next year whether he pitches for us or not. Others see him pitching for us in April of next year. I don't.

We’re all assuming the severity of his injury as well. Here is a good article that explains two different types of surgeries that can be performed depending on tissue, location etc. I’ve never heard of a six month recovery time for TJ and it’s relatively new so it may not be an option everywhere. Interesting read, Link for the article

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

Go through the threads.  It’s been brought up quite a bit since the Tech series.

It might be just a couple or three posters, I don’t know.  I’m not keeping close tabs nor am I trying to call out individuals.

Last years team went 17-7 in conference.

6-0 against Kansas and Kansas State

11-7 against everybody else (only series loss to TT)

Last year both Kansas schools were at the front half of our conference schedule. This year they are in the back half. Doesn’t matter how you get there the result is the same, only thing that remotely changes is perspective.

3 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

He could come back on the John Smoltz plan and be a closer for us next year. 

42 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Last years team went 17-7 in conference.

6-0 against Kansas and Kansas State

11-7 against everybody else (only series loss to TT)

Last year both Kansas schools were at the front half of our conference schedule. This year they are in the back half. Doesn’t matter how you get there the result is the same, only thing that remotely changes is perspective.

‘This is not last year’s team.  

Doesn’t mean they can’t do it, but man there’s a lot of wish casting going on.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

On paper it’s a better hitting team than last year.  

By far.  No argument.  My only point is the fallacy of endeavoring to extrapolate what happened last year into what happens this year.  It don’t work that way.

I think this team has the stuff, given some guys quickly figure some shit out.  

Forgetting everything else, beating up on weaklings heading into a regional is not optimal.  As iron sharpens iron so one baseball team sharpens another.  That’s in the Bible bro! 
;-)

15 hours ago, Cajun said:

‘This is not last year’s team.  

Doesn’t mean they can’t do it, but man there’s a lot of wish casting going on.

And there is a lot of rose colored glasses being passed around when looking back at last years team. As if they were some buzzsaw from start to finish. 

I’m not going to go pull posts from last year because it’s not worth it but a lot of people didn’t believe in last years team until they took 2/3 from TCU on the road and that was instantly erased in many minds when West Virginia’s “ace” mowed us down not once but twice.

Cant let perception cloud reality. Were you thinking last years team was elite when Tech loaded the bases in the 1st inning of game 3 on May 2nd, staring down getting swept at home?

This team is better offensively and worse on the mound, now you just have to see where the chips fall

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 8

People also forget that Hansen wasn't 100% until very close to the end of the year.  He was working limited innings in Tuesday games. At this point last year, Kubichek was giving us a great chance to lose Sunday games.  Gordon is a definite upgrade.  Now, of course, there's no last-year's-Hansen coming to rescue us in May or the postseason. If someone, anyone, would just step up to give us 5 innings on Tuesdays, I'd feel a lot better.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Now, of course, there's no last-year's-Hansen coming to rescue us in May or the postseason.

No - but Nixon and Stevens could pitch better. 

Also you never know. There are a few pen guys that have the potential to throw a few shutdown innings in the postseason. Just not sure who that is or how realistic that might be. 

9 hours ago, chase25 said:

And there is a lot of rose colored glasses being passed around when looking back at last years team. As if they were some buzzsaw from start to finish. 

I’m not going to go pull posts from last year because it’s not worth it but a lot of people didn’t believe in last years team until they took 2/3 from TCU on the road and that was instantly erased in many minds when West Virginia’s “ace” mowed us down not once but twice.

Cant let perception cloud reality. Were you thinking last years team was elite when Tech loaded the bases in the 1st inning of game 3 on May 2nd, staring down getting swept at home?

This team is better offensively and worse on the mound, now you just have to see where the chips fall

this team may be better offensively on overall but right about this time last year Antico and Melendez started going nuts.  Antico's OBP was crazy and made life miserable for pitchers.

be nice if Hodo(or Daly) could be that guy with Kennedy out.