2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

4 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Coolio 😎

Yea, my reply was just for info and not a dig at all. College baseball can still be a pain to follow now (MSM still doesn't cover it enough) but it definitely still was up until at least until the early 2000s...

I was stationed in Wa St in the early 80's and lived up there until 2009. Wanting to follow TX Baseball was all done through boxscores (maybe covered) by the local papers. Most of the time it was just final scores listed. I can remember that Texas needed to win two against Houston in 2002 to advance and that's all that the paper showed. Final score twice and the line, Texas Advances to CWS. 

In the 80's, going up to Seattle to see Washington play, it was really sad to see their field and the stands they had. Field was nothing fancy at all and my high school (Boerne 2A back then) had more bleachers than them. Going to Cal's field in 2014 was a similar experience. I was used to going to the Disch (the BEST back then, and still a pretty good ballpark experience now) to see college ball and similar type teams. When Bobo and Wazzu would come in to play, they were like that. While not as storied as us, he had his teams ready and like my earlier post showed, his teams were successful. Lots of small ball, good defense and pitching with him, along with the occasional power ball. Having guys like Olerud play for him, helped. 

Graves field was sad.  Husky Ballpark was around 1997, and finally "finished"a few years ago.  The Huskies were good when I got here in 1995, and a good methadone for missing Texas baseball.   They've been fairly mediocre since the school fired Knutson.  I'm going to a game this weekend against Stanford and I'm gonna wear my Stanford shirt I bought the last time Texas played in Palo Alto.

Evans diamond has its charm.   I was also there in 2014 for the Texas series as well as some Husky games when work let me get down there.  Getting in and out via bart is fantastic. 

The thing that made Washington/Washington State great was the pac north.   Portland, Eastern Washington, Gonzaga etc..  Oregon dropped the program.  Washington took over dominance in the 90's until the North/South was dropped.   It used to be the winner of the south division would host a regional and know they were in so of course the North "champ" would win the three game series for the auto-bid.

I do wonder if the Pac north/south thing was to shield them from USC during their dynasty. 

All I can say is thank god for texas.leanplayer.com and the Longhorn Network for baseball.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

That Wichita St championship still pisses me off.

That was the first yr that TV had come in and convinced the NCAA to change the format to a single winner take ALL championship game. Prior to that, you had to have 2 losses to be eliminated. We came into the championship game without a loss while State had to come through the losers bracket. No way they win twice against us as the previous format had been. Glad that it has been corrected to best 2/3 now.

It hurt, but Wichita State basically pressed our poo in as I recall.  it was a fucking buzzsaw.    All those games ended with Kieschnick on deck trying to make something happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, petscii said:

It hurt, but Wichita State basically pressed our poo in as I recall.  it was a fucking buzzsaw.    All those games ended with Kieschnick on deck trying to make something happen.

5-3 pitching duel where (if memory is correct) Dressendorfer, while pitching good wasn't good enough. Kieschnick wasn't on that team (Maybe your thinking of Bryant).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BillyGoatHill said:

That was the first yr that TV had come in and convinced the NCAA to change the format to a single winner take ALL championship game. Prior to that, you had to have 2 losses to be eliminated. We came into the championship game without a loss while State had to come through the losers bracket. No way they win twice against us as the previous format had been. Glad that it has been corrected to best 2/3 now.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

5-3 pitching duel where (if memory is correct) Dressendorfer, while pitching good wasn't good enough. Kieschnick wasn't on that team (Maybe your thinking of Bryant).

I had conflated Todd and Darren, and 89 with 93.  

• Hook 'Em 1

That’s probably the #1 reason I remember it. Vague remembrances that they used their best starter, and we did not.

That was a terrible format. Guess MLB decided a one game format isn’t good either. But that may have been about money too.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Had Enough said:

I don’t remember Dressendorfer pitching. Maybe he went on short rest due to it being 1 game?

I think you are right. I'm thinking know he wasn't available, but not sure why. Pretty sure their #1 was. I do remember Gus not being happy with the change in format and only playing one game after all the years of double elimination format. Money $$$ from networks.

Took them years to correct, but at least it is double elimination 2/3 for the Championship now.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Was born in ‘93 but have heard the legends of those 70’s and 80’s Gus teams through my dad. Thanks for y’all’s collective walk down memory lane. Always fun reading up on those years. 

Ha! With some of your insight/posts, thought you were older. 

No offense to Augie, but many on here think he INVENTED small ball. Small ball WAS Gusball.

1 minute ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Ha! With some of your insight/posts, thought you were older. 

No offense to Augie, but many on here think he INVENTED small ball. Small ball WAS Gusball.

Nope haha turned 29 last month. My first memory at the Disch was, I think, an alumni game in ‘99 or ‘00. I remember bits and pieces of Texas baseball from 97ish to ‘01, but my true first memory was in 02. Went to a couple of the regional games and through some family friends, my parents and I actually got to go to the Streets house after the supers in 02 for a small team party before they headed to Omaha. At 9 years old I’m there playing HORSE with Curtis Thigpen and Huston. I actually beat Thigpen though since I was half their age they were letting me play at half the distance. Of course the dudes could fucking shoot too. In the fall of 06, Thigpen, Cox, Maroul, Seth Johnston, Buck Cody and I know I’m forgetting one or two, put on a small “national champs camp” at the fields behind Chuys. 2 straight weekends was out with those dudes playing ball with em. Hahaha Matt Holliday actually showed up the first weekend. They were talking up how he went yard against Maddux last season and my dad asked if the wind was blowing out haha Curtis Thigpen then let my dad use his first base glove to warm up with me. My dad gives it back and tells him “hey I fucked with the laces some, hope it’s no big deal…” the look on Thigpens face was gold. Just an awesome couple of weekends. 

But yeah I lived the Augie era to start of my fandom. And the Barnes and Mack era. The last decade plus has certainly humbled me some. Hence my over the top optimism at times. I grew up with us firing on a cylinders in everything. Like a lot of us, the last decade has been shocking to me, but my exact age group was born into gold then basically immediately got the Great Depression once it was our time to be hammered in Omaha and at the Rose Bowl. I remember thinking the ‘06-‘08 baseball seasons and ‘07 football season were like as bad as it can get. Little did I know….

Ok bored Wednesday night rant over. For now 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Nope haha turned 29 last month. My first memory at the Disch was, I think, an alumni game in ‘99 or ‘00. I remember bits and pieces of Texas baseball from 97ish to ‘01, but my true first memory was in 02. Went to a couple of the regional games and through some family friends, my parents and I actually got to go to the Streets house after the supers in 02 for a small team party before they headed to Omaha. At 9 years old I’m there playing HORSE with Curtis Thigpen and Huston. I actually beat Thigpen though since I was half their age they were letting me play at half the distance. Of course the dudes could fucking shoot too. In the fall of 06, Thigpen, Cox, Maroul, Seth Johnston, Buck Cody and I know I’m forgetting one or two, put on a small “national champs camp” at the fields behind Chuys. 2 straight weekends was out with those dudes playing ball with em. Hahaha Matt Holliday actually showed up the first weekend. They were talking up how he went yard against Maddux last season and my dad asked if the wind was blowing out haha Curtis Thigpen then let my dad use his first base glove to warm up with me. My dad gives it back and tells him “hey I fucked with the laces some, hope it’s no big deal…” the look on Thigpens face was gold. Just an awesome couple of weekends. 

But yeah I lived the Augie era to start of my fandom. And the Barnes and Mack era. The last decade plus has certainly humbled me some. Hence my over the top optimism at times. I grew up with us firing on a cylinders in everything. Like a lot of us, the last decade has been shocking to me, but my exact age group was born into gold then basically immediately got the Great Depression once it was our time to be hammered in Omaha and at the Rose Bowl. I remember thinking the ‘06-‘08 baseball seasons and ‘07 football season were like as bad as it can get. Little did I know….

Ok bored Wednesday night rant over. For now 

Yes, just a tad spoiled. Great times in the early 2000s.

I was spoiled in the late 60's and early 70's only to see dark times in the mid/late 80's, with just samplings of great through the 90's. And those were lean years with aggy cheating their asses off with Jackie. Deserved the death penalty but the NCAA wouldn't dare do it again after SMU. Too bad. 

As much as I would like to be winning in all sports, lean years (decades?) make it much more special. I remember being at the Disch last year when we needed to win, plus get miracle help in Kansas. It happened. Being there with the team, the fans slowly realizing what had/was happening, made it truly special. As a graduate or t-shirt fan, you live for that. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, petscii said:

That was 1993. And that was just one game, not all those games. You may be conflating WSU with Pepperdine and Oklahoma State here. LSU won the title that year.

He is talking about 1989.

Edit: whoops too late.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Yes, just a tad spoiled. Great times in the early 2000s.

I was spoiled in the late 60's and early 70's only to see dark times in the mid/late 80's, with just samplings of great through the 90's. And those were lean years with aggy cheating their asses off with Jackie. Deserved the death penalty but the NCAA wouldn't dare do it again after SMU. Too bad. 

As much as I would like to be winning in all sports, lean years (decades?) make it much more special. I remember being at the Disch last year when we needed to win, plus get miracle help in Kansas. It happened. Being there with the team, the fans slowly realizing what had/was happening, made it truly special. As a graduate or t-shirt fan, you live for that. 🤘

Oh man there’s nothing like being at the Disch for the big moments. Was there in ‘18 when won the big 12 title against tcu last weekend (basically), when we clinched the regional against Indiana a few weeks later. Saw us clinch against Arizona state in ‘11. That was bittersweet after being at game 3 of the tcu supers the year before 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬. Was also at the 25 inning game. Remember texting my brother in the 3rd if he wanted to meet us at Matt’s around 9 after the game…..what a night 

I was there for every game of that 09 Regional and the Supers against TCU where we set the single game NCAA record for sac bunts in a 9 inning game with 8. That was a magical team. Still shocked and disappointed by that game 1 against LSU. We had those bastards.

On 4/27/2022 at 5:55 PM, BillyGoatHill said:

I think you are right. I'm thinking know he wasn't available, but not sure why. Pretty sure their #1 was. I do remember Gus not being happy with the change in format and only playing one game after all the years of double elimination format. Money $$$ from networks.

Took them years to correct, but at least it is double elimination 2/3 for the Championship now.

Yeah that was CBS wanting a championship game to televise. ESPN saved us from that BS in 2003 with the Championship series.

Still not as good as the old format but much better than that nonsense CBS forced on us.

On 4/27/2022 at 5:43 PM, Had Enough said:

That’s probably the #1 reason I remember it. Vague remembrances that they used their best starter, and we did not.

That was a terrible format. Guess MLB decided a one game format isn’t good either. But that may have been about money too.

fuck those fucks at CBS

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/27/2022 at 7:50 PM, Valmy77 said:

I was there for every game of that 09 Regional and the Supers against TCU where we set the single game NCAA record for sac bunts in a 9 inning game with 8. That was a magical team. Still shocked and disappointed by that game 1 against LSU. We had those bastards.

the only real poor move Augie ever made.  they were done and we let them off the hook.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

yeah if you aren't getting any run with this pitching staff I'm not sure you are long for the team.

By my count there are (were) five pitchers on the roster who haven’t thrown a single pitch.  So we somehow recruited or allowed on the team 5 guys who aren’t better than our current mop up guy?  Maybe there are injuries at play.  

51 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

By my count there are (were) five pitchers on the roster who haven’t thrown a single pitch.  So we somehow recruited or allowed on the team 5 guys who aren’t better than our current mop up guy?  Maybe there are injuries at play.  

I was wondering the same thing about LBJ last year. Could be that it's obvious they aren't ready yet.

4 hours ago, dcar00 said:

the only real poor move Augie ever made.  they were done and we let them off the hook.

Not totally sure I want to open this can of worms but the “only” poor move? I can name a dozen poor moves just from the first like opening month of the 2012 season haha. Love the guy, he’s a legend, but man that stretch from 2012-2016 was rough. Ok fuck this haha we’re a little over an hour away from an awesome 3 game series in year 5 of a guy that’ll hopefully have a statue in front of the Disch around 2040 

Anyone else feel oddly good about the series? This is the kind of series that, historically, the other team comes into Austin with their hair on fire then they leave Sunday wanting to quit the sport all together. Our lineup is ready. Defense is crisp. Hansen is our Friday night standard. Gordon has gotten better weekly. Wish I had more confidence in Stevens but our bullpen has been a pleasant surprise the last few weeks. Oh and it’s almost May and Pierce turns shit up a notch come May. Fuckin a…..let’s do this

Edited by Fletch

Just now, Fletch said:

Anyone else feel oddly good about the series?

I feel good about this team. We may have pissed away winning the B12 already but I think right now Texas is probably who you'd least want to see in the postseason of anyone in the B12. 

But yeah - this should be fun. Energy should be great at the Disch like it has been all year.

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I feel good about this team. We may have pissed away winning the B12 already but I think right now Texas is probably who you'd least want to see in the postseason of anyone in the B12. 

But yeah - this should be fun. Energy should be great at the Disch like it has been all year.

Yeah I’m actually really pissed about that even though it’s not over. Hence why I said this series. Asshole. Little things, z. Give me this. 

I will say one thing that sucks about Oklahoma state…..their people on this board are pretty cool and like the 2 okie state fans I’ve met are cool and they seem to know their place in this world. Even when we beat em, assholes like @oSuJeff97 and @‘stashe who I can’t even find on the thing right now are all like cool about it. Like dammit dudes stop being so humble!!! It’s all good though. I’ll find a reason to hate y’all’s guts in about 30 mins 

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Not totally sure I want to open this can of worms but the “only” poor move? I can name a dozen poor moves just from the first like opening month of the 2012 season haha. Love the guy, he’s a legend, but man that stretch from 2012-2016 was rough. Ok fuck this haha we’re a little over an hour away from an awesome 3 game series in year 5 of a guy that’ll hopefully have a statue in front of the Disch around 2040 

Anyone else feel oddly good about the series? This is the kind of series that, historically, the other team comes into Austin with their hair on fire then they leave Sunday wanting to quit the sport all together. Our lineup is ready. Defense is crisp. Hansen is our Friday night standard. Gordon has gotten better weekly. Wish I had more confidence in Stevens but our bullpen has been a pleasant surprise the last few weeks. Oh and it’s almost May and Pierce turns shit up a notch come May. Fuckin a…..let’s do this

I should have said "in a key moment" but I was assuming that was understood.  

agree that by 2012 he had lost the fastball pretty much.

27 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I should have said "in a key moment" but I was assuming that was understood.  

agree that by 2012 he had lost the fastball pretty much.

Yeah I was being a little too detailed there. I’m cool with his force ghost showing up and giving a little speech right about now 

15 hours ago, Fletch said:

Yeah I’m actually really pissed about that even though it’s not over. Hence why I said this series. Asshole. Little things, z. Give me this. 

I will say one thing that sucks about Oklahoma state…..their people on this board are pretty cool and like the 2 okie state fans I’ve met are cool and they seem to know their place in this world. Even when we beat em, assholes like @oSuJeff97 and @‘stashe who I can’t even find on the thing right now are all like cool about it. Like dammit dudes stop being so humble!!! It’s all good though. I’ll find a reason to hate y’all’s guts in about 30 mins 

LOL I always try to be the right kind of asshole. A Shaggy asshole, as it were. :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Wishcasting leads to severe disappointment.

The problems with this team are deep fellas.

I think they are shallow, but unfixable.  We do not have a reliever who can consistently come in and throw swing and miss strikes.  Last year we had three.  This year we have zero.   If Nixon was fixable this year we could sort of address it, but I don’t think he is.  

5 minutes ago, Cajun said:

@ClubWhatever We are saying/seeing the same thing, you just said it better.

My “deep” assertion has to do with a belief I have that our pitching coaching is flawed.

Ik on the fence about that.  Quintanilla and Madden sure as hell got better while they were here   Cobb has made a nice turnaround.  Gordon seems to be improving.  But there have been several ugly meltdowns too.  The first part is bringing in the right talent.  I’d say he gets a B on that.  There are some promising new arms on staff to complement the weekend guys, but some others you ask what are they doing here.  

@ClubWhatever

It’s like trying to find a bad smell.

We may just have a rotten grape that’s fallen under the refrigerator or it could a human head the dog dug up and re-buried under the kitchen window.

Either/Or, something is giving off a helluva funk this year.

Edited by Cajun
  • Haha 1