2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

Literally one win in any of these games and things are pretty different right now. Just one freaking win:

- Friday at Tech when we were up 3-2 in the bottom of the 8th. Walkoff steal of home. Nixon'd

- Saturday at Tech when we led 11-7 in the bottom of the 8th. Walkoff grand slam. Nixon'd

-Saturday against OU, up 1-0 in the bottom of the 7th. Nixon'd

-Friday at KSU we were up 5-1 in the bottom of the 6th.

-Saturday vs OSU we were up 7-0 in the top of the 7th.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Literally one win in any of these games and things are pretty different right now. Just one freaking win:

- Friday at Tech when we were up 3-2 in the bottom of the 8th. Walkoff steal of home. Nixon'd

- Saturday at Tech when we led 11-7 in the bottom of the 8th. Walkoff grand slam. Nixon'd

Fuck you. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

I think you can add the Tx St. loss in there. That was somewhere near the beginning of the unravel 

If I remember correctly that was just a good back and forth game. We got Daniel Blair’d early (back when Pierce still used him) but I don’t remember there being a huge meltdown.

I understand that there will be games where we just don’t have it in a 56 game season, but we seemed to shoot ourselves in the foot a lot. Maybe we are due for some positive regression over the next few weeks.

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hey, thanks for that, asshole.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Sarloos - Coach of the Year
Brandon Birdsell (Tech) - Pitcher of the Year
Hudson White (Tech) - Freshman of the Year
Ivan - Player of the Year

Well deserved by Sarloos and Ivan.

Birdsell is an odd choice but the league was not exactly awash with dominant pitching this year. Might as well be him I guess. 

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Well deserved by Sarloos and Ivan.

Birdsell is an odd choice but the league was not exactly awash with dominant pitching this year. Might as well be him I guess. 

He won by the smallest of margins over Cole Larsen.

52 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

He won by the smallest of margins over Cole Larsen.

Gordon is gonna win that shit going away next year 

22 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

disgusted true detective GIF

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Alabama up 5-1 in the 2nd inning on Georgia. Good news for us from an RPI perspective and it would also basically completely take Georgia out of the hosting conversation. 

Bama wins 5-3. Texas RPI moves up a tick to 20 and the chances of Georgia hosting are basically gone. Good start.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Horndog said:

I assume Hanson is pitching the first game, but haven't seen anything official. Has that been announced? 

They list two probable pitchers in the game notes posted on the Texas baseball website for the conference tournament: Hansen and Gordon. So I’m assuming Hansen is going tomorrow.

Edited by Hookem2147

I like the Baseball America projection better...I'd take either of Tennessee or Va Tech in a possible super over the two PAC teams. 

Better yet we can root for the upset to give us a shot for a home super.

I know committee will say RPI isn't everything but purely based on past RPI/selection data, we'd be getting fucked if we didn't host.

Big 12 currently ranks #3 in conference RPI.  We have the highest RPI in the conference.  

If you look back at RPI data at time of selection (before tournament) from 2002-2019 (couldn't find RPI data at time of selection for 2021- just final):

image.thumb.png.813d95f5f710be592ce54b23aa9f9905.png

So from 2002-2019, there's never been a team with the best RPI in a top 3 conference not be given a 1 seed.  In fact, they've been a national seed 87% of the time.  Even if you scale back the criteria, it seems like we should be in great position.  

Edited by 40acredropout
slight update to chart.
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

I know committee will say RPI isn't everything but purely based on past RPI/selection data, we'd be getting fucked if we didn't host.

If Texas finishes 12 to 15 in RPI and doesn't host it's Del Conte's job to be loud. 

Texas has a high RPI because they scheduled a lot of neutral and road games in nonconference. They challenged themselves when a lot of other teams don't do that. Del Conte should tell the NCAA to fuck off because Texas went out of its way to create a desirable resume based on their own standards. 

43 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

It's also ridiculous they have so many candidates.  There cannot be that many people in serious contention.

Oddly enough I found myself on that list. Didn’t realize I was having that good of a season 

• Haha 1

I normally don’t give 2 shits about the conference tournament cause we typically have our resume locked and loaded so it’s a waste of time. But I want that fucking trophy this year. These dudes deserve it. Losing Witt then Kennedy for a significant stretch plus Nixon and Stevens shitting the bed (Stevens is on the path to totally redeeming himself though. And Nixon in the middle relief role we’ve been using him in has been a nice development) led to some serious highs and lows. But dammit, Hansen has been stout, Gordon is the type of dude we would have in the Augie heydays. A total competitor who bursted onto the scene and seemingly gets better with every inning he pitches. Morehouse stepping up has been clutch as fuck. Stevens has been badass coming out of the bullpen. Stehlys epic performance at the plate this year is being overshadowed by Ivan, who is having a historic performance. Todd sticking around this long, battling the injuries and just kept coming back. Yeah. He’s now hitting the best he has as a longhorn. It would’ve been so fucking easy for this team to just lay down and quit after Witt went down and that east coast debacle then k state and okie state but nope. They’ve kept fighting. Kept the same intensity all year. Win the fucking conference tournament, dudes. Y’all deserve it. Then carry that intensity over all the way to Omaha. This team has image.thumb.jpeg.8056d1a37fb7ec13c5ea0f9455dae721.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6

don't go all Baylor-rapey on us Fletch.

"Actor Kevin Spacey has been charged in the UK with four counts of sexual assault against three men and one count of “causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent,” officials announced yesterday. The alleged incidents occurred in London between 2005-08 and in Gloucestershire in 2013. The sexual assault charges each come with a maximum 10-year sentence, and the fifth charge comes with a maximum of life imprisonment."

from my news aggregator 1440 Daily Digest this morning.

can't believe this is what got me to log in and post.

but seriously, yes, the last few weeks have been so much fun to watch. this team deserves 4 trophies and they have the talent and experience to do it.  not a team you want to see in the regionals if texas doesn't host and certainly not in the supers, I don't care who you are.  now go fuck some shit up Texas style not Baylor rapey style.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1