2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

4d531f7c-c65a-4970-984a-69f1176b8e27

06.02.2022 | Baseball

No. 9 Baseball’s Melendez named Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Year  🤘

The Longhorns first baseman awarded as the country’s best player in 2022.

AUSTIN, Texas – No. 9 Baseball's Ivan Melendez has been named the Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Year, the organization announced Thursday.

Melendez leads the country with 29 homers, a .903 slugging percentage and 196 total bases. He became Texas Baseball's home run king with his 29th blast of the season, surpassing Kyle Russell's 28 homers in 2007 for the program record.

He ranks second nationally with 87 RBI, fourth with a .522 on-base percentage and eighth with a .406 batting average. He became the fourth Longhorn to be named the Big 12 Player of the Year and the first since Kody Clemens in 2018. Melendez, also a unanimous First Team All-Big 12 selection, now has 42 career home runs, which is the third-most in a career at Texas.

Melendez becomes the fourth Longhorn to win the Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Year, following Brooks Kieschnick (1993), Scott Bryant (1989) and Greg Swindell (1986).

Melendez was also named a first team All-American and is joined by left-handed pitcher Pete Hansen and outfielder Murphy Stehly landed second team All-America honors.

Hansen is 10-1 this season with a 3.01 ERA and 107 strikeouts in 92 2/3 innings pitched. He has only walked 16 batters and held opponents to a .208 batting average against.

Stehly is batting .377 with 21 doubles, 17 homers and 54 RBI. His 92 hits this season rank seventh nationally, while his 166 total bases are the 13th most in the country. 

The Longhorns open the NCAA Austin Regional against Air Force on Friday at 1 p.m. at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

4d531f7c-c65a-4970-984a-69f1176b8e27

06.02.2022 | Baseball

No. 9 Baseball’s Melendez named Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Year  🤘

The Longhorns first baseman awarded as the country’s best player in 2022.

AUSTIN, Texas – No. 9 Baseball's Ivan Melendez has been named the Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Year, the organization announced Thursday.

Melendez leads the country with 29 homers, a .903 slugging percentage and 196 total bases. He became Texas Baseball's home run king with his 29th blast of the season, surpassing Kyle Russell's 28 homers in 2007 for the program record.

He ranks second nationally with 87 RBI, fourth with a .522 on-base percentage and eighth with a .406 batting average. He became the fourth Longhorn to be named the Big 12 Player of the Year and the first since Kody Clemens in 2018. Melendez, also a unanimous First Team All-Big 12 selection, now has 42 career home runs, which is the third-most in a career at Texas.

Melendez becomes the fourth Longhorn to win the Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Year, following Brooks Kieschnick (1993), Scott Bryant (1989) and Greg Swindell (1986).

Melendez was also named a first team All-American and is joined by left-handed pitcher Pete Hansen and outfielder Murphy Stehly landed second team All-America honors.

Hansen is 10-1 this season with a 3.01 ERA and 107 strikeouts in 92 2/3 innings pitched. He has only walked 16 batters and held opponents to a .208 batting average against.

Stehly is batting .377 with 21 doubles, 17 homers and 54 RBI. His 92 hits this season rank seventh nationally, while his 166 total bases are the 13th most in the country. 

The Longhorns open the NCAA Austin Regional against Air Force on Friday at 1 p.m. at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.

Awesome! Congrats to ALL 3...Ivan, Pete, and Murph! 🤘🤘

Was cool to see this year that Taylor's number and name is to be placed up with the other National Award winners, gonna need to make room for Ivan too. 🤘

College Baseball GIF by Texas Longhorns

• Like 1

Texas now #17 in team ERA.

A quick scan of the top 100 teams in ERA shows we gave up the second fewest unearned runs. Oregon State was best. We’d be around the top 10 in runs allowed per game. That stat is out there somewhere but don’t see it on the NCAA site.

VCU allowed more than 1 unearned run per game. BYU was almost that. Both ahead of us in ERA.

We are the best fielding percentage team. We’re top 10 in HRs. Top 10 in batting average. 39th in sacrifice bunts.

We played about 20 games versus teams that were in the final 32 playing yesterday. That doesn’t include the two other vaunted SEC teams we played. Texas Southern even led the country in OBP and steals.

We’re a damn fine team. Worthy of hosting a Super Regional.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Droopy said:

I sat directly under Coach Beard and Sark yesterday. Their ladies were *respectfully* hot AF. It’s almost as if money could buy some happiness. 😁

Johnny Depp says, “Hi!”

29 minutes ago, wood said:

26 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Johnny Depp says, “Hi!”

True, but if you have enough, you can also pay them to leave. Ask anyone that has ever paid for a divorce. Something along the lines of "Best money I ever spent..." 😁

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Droopy said:

True, but if you have enough, you can also pay them to leave. Ask anyone that has ever paid for a divorce. Something along the lines of "Best money I ever spent..." 😁

Chemotherapy and divorce are both expensive, messy, and horrible but completely totally worth it. 

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

aggy would have been reminding them that aggy provided more officers for WWII than all of their silly service academies combined

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Skenes is transferring. 

We should be all over that. 

Found their pitch to Skenes 😂

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Skenes is transferring. 

Mother effin this. 

By entering the transfer portal, does he still have to fulfill service requirements? I have t really kept up with that aspect of the portal.

Edited by Ewreck10

1 hour ago, Ewreck10 said:

Mother effin this. 

By entering the transfer portal, does he still have to fulfill service requirements? I have t really kept up with that aspect of the portal.

18 minutes ago, Marshall_Lucky said:

Thought I heard the other night that once they reach junior year, they’re locked into their service obligations. He’s a Sophomore.

You're correct. Not locked in until the third year.

Edited by MuellerHorn

2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

He has had a fantastic two years of college baseball. Probably values pursuing the MLB over committing to five years at minimum in the Air Force.

Yep, but I meant the day after finishing a regional in Austin.

Edited by wood

5 hours ago, Marshall_Lucky said:

Thought I heard the other night that once they reach junior year, they’re locked into their service obligations. He’s a Sophomore.

He's 23 according to AF website?  How is he a sophomore 5 years after graduating HS.  Assuming he graduated at 19, 2 year mission (?), 21, 2 years in College?  Throw in a Covid year, he could have been 18 at graduation.  I have no idea if he is mormon.  Maybe he sat out a year?

Mother effin this. 

Depends on what yr he is. Before starting your 3rd yr, you are can transfer and not have any commitment or have to pay anything (I think on second part) . After starting your 3rd year. You are locked in and committed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Skenes is transferring. 

Lets Go Reaction GIF

12 hours ago, wood said:

It's definitely interesting timing for Skenes to portal.

12 hours ago, wood said:

Yep, but I meant the day after finishing a regional in Austin.

Can't really blame him.

Dude made All American. Can pitch (12-2) , catcher also, oh and the dude can rake at the plate (.326 12 HR 36RBI). No doubt, playing the Regional here put some thoughts into his head. Huge crowds, ability to play for championships, and of course the possibility of playing MLB. 

How the crowd reacted to AIR FORCE not only early in the season, but definitely this weekend, you gotta think that Austin and TEXAS Baseball have to be on the short list.

(Helps also that next year we need pitching, catcher is for the taking, 1B, or put him in RF when he is not pitching the way Brooks did

). College World Series Mascot GIF by Texas Longhorns

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Can't really blame him.

Dude made All American. Can pitch (12-2) , catcher also, oh and the dude can rake at the plate (.326 12 HR 36RBI). No doubt, playing the Regional here put some thoughts into his head. Huge crowds, ability to play for championships, and of course the possibility of playing MLB. 

How the crowd reacted to AIR FORCE not only early in the season, but definitely this weekend, you gotta think that Austin and TEXAS Baseball have to be on the short list.

(Helps also that next year we need pitching, catcher is for the taking, 1B, or put him in RF when he is not pitching the way Brooks did

Agree 100%

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1