2021 Brisket/Pork/Ribs Summer Holiday Pricing Thread of Dominance

utee94

At the other site, we used to always start a summer thread for pricing we find for the traditional BBQ meats, over the summer holidays.  In the olden days, you could actually find brisket on sale before Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day, for $.99/lb.  Beef prices are such that we haven't seen anything like that in a long time, but I figured we could use a specific BBQ meat pricing thread, like we used to have, so it doesn't get mixed up in conversation on the other various BBQ threads.

So I just cruised by Costco Cedar Park, and prime brisket was $4.99/lb.  

St. Louis cut pork spares were $5.29/lb.

I miss the old days...

I know Walmart usually runs a sale for eelect/ungraded brisket before each summer holiday, I'll probably swing by there tomorrow.  HEB sales tend to run Wednesday-Tuesday so I'll check there day after tomorrow.

I do have one brisket and a few racks of ribs in the deep freeze that I'll use for 4th of July if I don't find any decent sales.

Edited by utee94

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, I'm perfectly fine smoking a non-prime brisket.  Will wait till this week's circulars come out to see if anyone's having a sale.

I did a prime vs. select challenge a couple years back.  I got two that were of roughly equal size, I seasoned them the same, I cooked them the same, and sliced them the same.  They both turned out fantastic and my party guests couldn't tell the difference in a blind taste testing.

13 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I did a prime vs. select challenge a couple years back.  I got two that were of roughly equal size, I seasoned them the same, I cooked them the same, and sliced them the same.  They both turned out fantastic and my party guests couldn't tell the difference in a blind taste testing.

Yeah, I think there's a MARGINAL difference, but at its heart, it's a tough, cheap, fatty cut of meat cooked low and slow.  As long as you don't dry out the point, the difference is de minimis, and doesn't justify the price differential.

• Hook 'Em 1

Randall's had had brisket on sale twice in the last few weeks.  I think it was choice rather than Prime I think it was under $2 both times.

Since I need to do two briskets for a Party on the 10th I am going to keep an eye out and will check back here as well.  I doubt that anyone from taste could tell the difference between Prime and Choice on Brisket.  If it's cooked right it's gonna kick ass. 

My money is gonna be on Randall's, with HEB and Sprouts being close to the same price.  If Sprouts is close, I like their meat the best.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I know Walmart usually runs a sale for eelect/ungraded brisket before each summer holiday, I'll probably swing by there tomorrow.  HEB sales tend to run Wednesday-Tuesday so I'll check there day after tomorrow.

I do have one brisket and a few racks of ribs in the deep freeze that I'll use for 4th of July if I don't find any decent sales.

Look through the case.  Some of those WalMart briskets are choice and are priced the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, I think there's a MARGINAL difference, but at its heart, it's a tough, cheap, fatty cut of meat cooked low and slow.  As long as you don't dry out the point, the difference is de minimis, and doesn't justify the price differential.

I found the same with mine I'm a newbie to the smoking game. 

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Agreed, thats a steal and someone should consider buying all of it and reselling.

A couple weeks ago I wanted to smoke one and the wife called from the grocery store saying it was $6.99/lb.

Fuck that.  Especially when we have dirt cheap pork.

I will probably just bite the bullet and smoke one before the end of summer because brisket rocks, but still.  Lunacy.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

A couple weeks ago I wanted to smoke one and the wife called from the grocery store saying it was $6.99/lb.

Fuck that.  Especially when we have dirt cheap pork.

I will probably just bite the bullet and smoke one before the end of summer because brisket rocks, but still.  Lunacy.

Yup,

Had a golf trip about a month ago with 8 of us in a house.

I went to Costco to get the meat, we did steaks one night, chicken another and pork chops.   Steaks cost about $100, Chicken cost about $20 and pork chops was $15.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, bluto said:

Called hirschs meat market in Plano, want $12/lb for Dino ribs emoji2955.png

Jesus.  I thought I was a cheap ass for passing on $8.99/lb for prime beef ribs at HEB yesterday.  Wanted to grab an extra rack for this weekend and just keep my rack I have in the freezer.  For that price, I'll just thaw these out.

On another note, just got myself half a cow.  Will be ready 7/15.  Only had to pay for my half of the butchering.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Best I'm seeing for spareribs is at Walmart ($1.74 frozen, $1.94 fresh).  St. Louis trim adds a buck.

What are brisket packers selling for there?  I was about to head out and check this afternoon.

Today:

Walmart Cedar Park had packers for $3.99 (unspecified grade)

Randall's Cedar Park had packers for $2.99 (choice.  I didn't see any prime, select, or ungraded) *with Randall's card, of course

Edited by utee94

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Bought two at Randall's yesterday for $2.99.  They were bigger than I prefer (each around 17 lbs), but I took what I could get.

I found a couple at Randall's that were each around 13 lbs, so I bought them both.  All the rest were big 'uns .

Edited by utee94

On 6/28/2021 at 2:23 PM, utee94 said:

At the other site, we used to always start a summer thread for pricing we find for the traditional BBQ meats, over the summer holidays.  In the olden days, you could actually find brisket on sale before Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day, for $.99/lb.  Beef prices are such that we haven't seen anything like that in a long time, but I figured we could use a specific BBQ meat pricing thread, like we used to have, so it doesn't get mixed up in conversation on the other various BBQ threads.

So I just cruised by Costco Cedar Park, and prime brisket was $4.99/lb.  

St. Louis cut pork spares were $5.29/lb.

I miss the old days...

St. Louis were $4.00/lb at Southwest Austin Costco 2 weeks ago.  I do like those 3 packs though.  Generally, they are very uniform in thickness, length, weight and cook at roughly the same rate.  Getting 3 racks from the HEB, whether is be Smithfield or HEB natural is a crap shoot even if you by racks of the same weight.

In Houston today I went to the Kroger on 34th, no brisket. Went to the one near bunker hill, one 17# brisket at $65… no thanks. Walmart on silber had none. Finally went to the Walmart on 290 and they actually had a shitload at 3.96/lb. I was able to grab one closer to 11#. 

Is there that big a difference between the meat packers that HEB buys from as opposed to Walmart or Kroger? HEB is at least a full dollar/lb higher than everywhere else, but at least they seem to have a bunch. 

I picked up a 13-pound packer at Tom Thumb on Inwood in Dallas this afternoon for $2.99/lb. I also bought a 6-pound point for $4/lb as I’ve been wanting to try a separated brisket on my Egg. I also picked up some NY Strips as they’re on special for $14.99/lb. I had to laugh at the Hispanic teenage checker — she said, “That’s cow tongue right?” when she scanned the packer. I chuckled and said nope that’s brisket. Then we got in a discussion about barbacoa. The other Hispanic bagger didn’t know what that was. As I was walking away, the checker said, “How can you be Mexican?” and they laughed their asses off.

Just now, conVINCEd said:

They have a Dallas location now, and it has received mixed reviews on the Dallas bbq thread, which is why I asked.

The Dallas BBQ and Texas BBQ threads are over there. --------------------->

This is the meat pricing thread.

(just kidding, of course :) )

On 7/1/2021 at 7:42 PM, C-Man said:

Tom Thumb and Kroger have choice brisket at $2.99 and $2.49/lb, respectively in DFW. (Kroger’s brisket pic should be reported as a crime against humanity.)

Kroger:

fdd0c25a79d9c27ea4ec00d2ae29ce83.jpg

Thumb:

d055a9027f8049adc89f188162333167.jpg

id jump all over those mangos